Cover Image: Her Greatest Mistake

Her Greatest Mistake

This author is really great. I really loved this book. This tale was highly engrossing and highly recommendable!!
A story of domestic abuse that just didn’t hit the button for me,  I enjoyed it but wasn’t as good as other books of this genre I’ve read,
I really wanted to like this one I did but I have read so many books that have similar tropes that I just found this one to be a bit dull
Overall, I enjoyed Her Greatest Mistake by Sarah Simpson. I liked the premise (reminded me of Sleeping with the Enemy a bit) and the way the story is told (alternating between the present and past). The characters were well-developed, although I wish Jack were a bit more so. I definitely found myself surprised by some of the plot twists. It was a fun read!
My 3 star review for Her Greatest Mistake by Sarah Simpson.
"Eve and Gregg were the perfect couple, with the perfect marriage... which has become the perfect lie. Gone is the charming, attentive Gregg - instead Eve wakes up each morning beside a manipulative and sinister man who controls his wife’s every move.

So Eve flees her marital home to keep herself, and young son Jack safe. Yet no matter how careful she has been, she knows Gregg will be relentless in his pursuit of his missing family. And that one day, when she's least expecting it, he will find them...What was Eve’s greatest mistake?"

I thought as a debut novel this was very good and the characters of Gregg being the dark and sinister, although charming in public, husband and Eve the showcase wife living a lie were very well explored.  I was at times infuriated with Eve for putting up with it for so long, but with her son Jack to factor into the situation, she needed to bide her time.  Nevertheless I could feel Jack's fear and anxiety even when they had escaped and so applaud her for dealing so well with the subject of domestic abuse and its mental as well as physical casualties.

On the downside, I found the timeline shifts a bit confusing and at times the book dragged a bit while I waited for the next thing to happen, but the twists near the end made up for it.  Great debut.
Never judge a book by its cover.  Never has that been more true than with this book.  A perfect marriage before the front door, but when it closes, the true nature comes to light.  A really harrowing tale of domestic abuse and the impact it has on families.  Recommended.
I found this book a really struggle to get into as the initial build up was very slow. After ploughing through the first half however, I did start to enjoy this book and by the end was hooked. Unfortunately each time I was getting really interested in the story the narrative would switch to a different time which I found quite frustrating. Sarah’s style of writing is not really for me (too descriptive without really saying anything worthwhile to the story) and I won’t be seeking out any of her other books for this reason.
Her Greatest Mistake is the story of Eve and Greg and the demise of their seemingly perfect relationship. When psychology student Eve meets Greg suave and sophisticated Greg she’s literally swept off her feet and fails to recognise any of the warning signs that Greg might not be as perfect as he makes out. Before too long Eve finds herself married to Greg and sincerely wishing she wasn’t as he becomes controlling and abusive. But can she play him at his own game?
This wasn’t the easiest of books to get into and I admit had I not been on the blog tour then I probably would have given up as for the first few chapters I was so confused. But I’m so glad I kept going with this book as what unfolds is a sinister and addictive read about a perfect marriage gone bad which had me holding my breathe waiting for what would happen next.
Written from both 2016 when Eve has manged to escape Greg’s clutches and through Eve’s flashbacks we learn about her early relationship with Greg and how things slowly went wrong. I think this is what initially threw me but once I was absorbed in the story this method of writing really worked well and added to the gritty unease which develops throughout the book.
As a debut novel I think Sarah Simpson has done a great job of creating a book with bags of unsettling atmosphere and a dark uneasiness.  I’m really looking forward to what she writes next. So what was Eve’s greatest mistake? Well I highly recommend you read this book and find out for yourself.
I’d like to thank Aria for sending me a copy to review and for inviting me to be part of this blog tour.
A fantastic psychological thriller, beautifully written, realistic, cleverly told, original, and crafted intelligently. A highly recommended debut.
Great storyline with good strong characters.  Very well written.  I would recommend this book to anyone.
I received a digital ARC of #HerGreatestMistake from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was tough to get into initially. It is a very wordy, descriptive book, so if this isn't your kind of thing you will probably struggle with the start of this. I almost gave up with this because of that but I'm glad I didn't.  Initially the story jumps backwards and forwards and is very confusing as you try to work out who each chapter is "spoken" by and when it happened. Once you have this sussed, it's much easier to read as it then mainly goes between Cornwall 2016 (present day), and "before" which tells of the life Eva had with Gregg and explains why he is now after her in the present day chapters.

Once I got past around 40% I felt that the book picked up pace and I was much more interested in it as it was easier to read. I was surprised by the ending, although I had worked out one part which comes a bit earlier on (which I can't say as it's a spoiler!). I wasn't sure that introducing Milly as a character really added anything to the main plot line. Overall, a good read although a bit lengthy and wordy in places that I felt I skipped over.
I really enjoyed Her Greatest Mistake. A great portrayal of emotional abuse in a relationship, heartbreaking but also gripping. Worth a read.
Dull and repetitive. This really needs needs a good overhaul by a skilled editor to bring out the basic concept, which is hardly original.
I couldn't get into this book at all. As soon as I read the prologue I knew it would be a heavy read. It felt like a heavyweight novel full of long words and sentences! I didn't find it engaging at all, sorry
Took a while to get into the book but was hooked by the end. Would have been good to get some perspective from different narrators within the book in order to build the suspense further.
Eve and Gregg have the perfect marriage  -  well that’s what everyone is meant to think.  A dark and foreboding tale, but knew as soon as I read the prologue that I’d have trouble with this book as I didn’t like the style of writing at all.  Trying to be a bit too clever for its own good - so many words that I just skimmed sentences, paragraphs and entire pages, which is a shame as I enjoy books featuring psychopaths!  Some of the more long winded sections could have been cut out without losing the essence of the story,  but then again some people might prefer it as it is!  I would still read another book by this author.
This book drew me in from the very first page and I just couldn't put it down. Fab writing style and great plot with many a twists. Recommend for psychological thriller fans
Good read but a bit long winded in places. Thank you Net galley for this copy. Tbh, i have read better books in this genre but it was a good read.
Started out strong, then bored me to tears by the midpoint.  The flashbacks were great, and pretty realistic, which I can sadly admit.  But the story itself was a big shrug of the shoulders, an indifferent "who cares?" .  The build-up to, basically, nothing.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview Her Greatest Mistake by Sarah Simpson.
This book goes back and forth in time telling the story of an abused wife, etc. I found this book slow paced and somewhat predicatible.
Just ok fo rme.