Something in the Water

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2019

Erin and Mark are newlyweds, they've started off their marriage in style on their dream honeymoon in Bora Bora. While out on an excursion all alone, they find something in the water, their curiosity gets the best of them and suddenly they're thrown into a potentially dangerous situation.

I thought this book was alright. I'm not upset that I read it, but I kind of don't understand the point. This couple's main issue was their greed, but Erin's choices went beyond greed into the bizarre. To me, it made her seem irrational, when the whole first part of the book proved that she was pretty level headed.

The unrealistic qualities of this book didn't sit well with me, I didn't enjoy the relationships, it felt contrived. I wish it had felt more real to me, because I think I would have enjoyed it much more if it had.
"Have you ever wondered how long it takes to dig a grave? Wonder no longer. It takes an age. However long you think it takes, double that."

Let me start by giving credit where it’s due—Catherine Steadman nails the first chapter . . . hands down. Very few openers have acquired my attention as adeptly as those four simple sentences.

How could any suspense reader not be enthralled with a woman who turns to Google to learn the proper depth to bury a body or look away as she carries on, one painstaking shovel-full at a time? Erin proves with her narrative, ridding yourself of a pesky body, in dirt, might not be as easy as the movies portray. *wink*

“I’m not a bad person. Or maybe I am. You decide.”

I think we can all agree—there’s not much subjectivity allowed here, is there?—anyone who finds themselves in a situation that requires the disposal of a body, pretty much guarantees they’re not a good person. What kind of reader would that make me though, if I didn’t give Erin the chance to explain herself?

From Erin’s declaration on her moral character, Catherine Steadman flips the calendar back three months—setting to work the events that land her leading lady in the woods committing a major felony.

Let me dip my toe in the plot here for a bit. Erin is a budding documentary filmmaker, while her soon to be husband, an investment banker, has recently found himself without a job. Less money means less of a fuss over their nuptials and a mere two weeks in Bora Bora, instead of the planned three. It’s in the turquoise waters off the island, in the midst of what anyone would consider a dream honeymoon, that the couple happens across something in the water. A few unfathomable items, just floating along, minding their own business, tucked securely away in a locked black bag. I think we’d all be kidding ourselves if we said we’d just leave it alone. What's that saying—curiousity killed the cat? The circumstances pose a bit of a moral dilemma, as they should; do Erin and Mark alert someone to what they found or shove the guilt down somewhere deep and live a more “prosperous” life, instead? Any guesses at the decision the couple makes?

Things start to get a bit dicey when Erin and Mark find themselves back home in London, pretending to carry on as if nothing has changed. We all know, that scenario never holds up. What ensues is a non-stop decline in believability, a flagrant lack of storyline development and one absurd decision followed by another. From curiosity in the beginning, to waning feelings in the middle, to disdain for the crippling ridiculousness of the back half, this is one I’m labeling as a major upset. What kills me, this could should have been so much more.

The entire story is told from Erin’s perspective and it’s my belief, the author’s writing style will be hit-or-miss with readers. Catherine Steadman’s words are extremely choppy, but in some ways, I felt her voice fed into the suspense of the novel and lessened the impact of the drivel. If you think about it, our own thoughts are far from linear and polished—there’s a rawness, a flitting from one thought to another . . . constantly. Well, that’s the best justification I can come up with for the messiness presented on the page.

Was the story written this way intentionally? I’m not quite sure. What I am sure of, this story would have benefited from more editing. Quite a few times, Catherine Steadman wrote herself into a corner and continued to turn in circles, spewing bits of useless information, while trying to get back on track. Again, that’s just my take on the steady diet of nonsense the author chose to spoon-feed the reader.

I'm going to end things on this note: when writing a story, or heck, even in real life, simply thinking about something, doesn’t necessarily breath it in to fruition—regardless of how many times this plot tries to persuade you otherwise. If that was the case, the ending of this book would have been something else entirely.
Erin and Mark are about to get married. Before their wedding day, they have a few things to deal with. Erin has to prepare everything for the documentary she is working on, about how inmates re-enter the real world. And Mark, loses his job as an investment banker, which was their main source of income. This forces them to change some plans of their wedding and honeymoon, but also make the break that much more needed.

While honeymooning in Bora Bora, they go on a scuba diving excursion where they find a bag floating in the water. What's inside will lead them on a journey where they will find out more about each other than they ever expected.

Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Someting In The Water, gives you the ending of the book first, then goes back three months for us to see what could have possibly happened. The book starts with Erin digging a grave to bury Mark in. If they are newlyweds, what could he have done in such a short time that she is now burying his body in the middle of nowhere.

This book started out really well and it was hard to put down at first. But, as the story went along, the details just became more and more implausible. To me, Erin was an idiot and the fact that she couldn't see what was happening right under her nose, and some of her actions were just ridiculous. The things that occurred in this book did not seem possible for an investment banker and a film maker to pull off (Eg. cutting the lining of their luggage to hide money). It's said this book is supposed to be a psychological thriller, but to me it was just psychotic.

This is debut novel from this author, so I'm willing to give her another chance, if she rights another book. This one reminded me of the movie Into the Blue with Paul Walker and Jessica Alba.
Mark and Erin went on what was to be a dream honeymoon to Bora Bora. It was to be the beginning of their perfect life together, their perfect marriage. But then they find something in the water and everything changes.

This book opens with Erin digging a hole to bury a body in, the body of her husband. That caught my attention. I wanted to know why she was burying his body out where no one would find it soon. I wanted to know why he died. Did she kill him?

Then the story goes back in time to not too long before their wedding. They have money and have no fears for the future. Then Mark loses his job. Erin still works (she is making a documentary), but what she brings home isn’t enough to support them in the way this rich, spoiled couple are used to living. At least they have their savings.

When they find the bag full of money and diamonds, it should be the answer to their dreams. Who wouldn’t want to find such a bag? That would be nice unless it was attached to criminals that will kill to get it back.

Reading what Erin and Mark went through over this bag was like reading about someone’s slow descent into the criminal world. The law is never meant to be broken, just tweaked a bit to make things work out.

I’m a sucker for psychological thrillers, and this one was no exception. Filled with murder, deception, distrust, and Russian spies, Something in the Water was hard to put down once I started reading it. Why let things like housework get in the way of reading a book that your mind won’t let go of?

I was sent a copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Steadman's book is somewhat reminiscent of Gone Girl. While the characters are not openly abusive to one another, the married couple does not know one another at all. Each of them have the capability to totally surprise the other, with unexpected results.

Erin and Mark go diving on their honeymoon in Bora Bora and discover 'something in the water,' a black bag loaded with a cell phone, a gun, cash and diamonds. Then the wreck of an airplane. Because it's obvious that the contents are on the wrong side of the law, Erin and Mark decide to smuggle them out and keep the ill gotten goods. But, Erin turned the phone on and it appears they are being stalked by the unknown but frightening owners of the bag. Each of them devises different strategies to ensure that they can keep the loot. Suspense and murder follow. Recommended for those who enjoy thrillers..
ReviewIf you could make one simple choice that would change your life forever, would you?

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in an exchange for an honest review. Honestly I really enjoyed the first part of the book and had high hopes for the rest of the book. In the opening we meet Erin who goes on to tell us she is not a bad person. The question for me is, does this mean you are a good person? She then proceeds to fill us in on how she got to this point of the story. We go back to meet her fiance and take the journey with them through planning the wedding, the wedding and their honeymoon. They appear to be a young adventurous couple in love, until the moment where things start to go wrong. They make a decision which ultimately spirals down reckless and amateurish decisions. This is where I decide that no, Erin you are not a good person. Don't blame her though, she is only working with what the Author gives her which becomes incohesive and distracting to the reader. There are too many plots that seem unnecessary to the story and the story begins to seem rushed. I started to give a higher rating but honestly I felt that the story did not live up to the hype. We have all made decisions that have changed our lives and maybe I don't see what other's see in this story but that is how I felt.
You take a good first sentence, a decent plot line, then just cover it in crap. What the hell happened to this story? The unreliable, implausible narrator? This had the makings of a great suspense novel. And then the author just threw some ideas up in the air, and the crappy ones stuck, so she went with it. Uh, have you ever heard of doing some research? When an iPhone is turned off, you can't see any missed calls! And isn't the hubby as the bad guy been done like, I don't know, a million times??!

For me, the lack of information regarding other “things” they find in the water is frustrating to no end. I know it doesn’t necessarily contribute to the overall message of the story. But if you need closure, don’t read this.

Nobody would have reacted how she did.... "Oh, my husband was greedy, wanted to take my money, fool me, then leave me. Oh, he's dead? Let me just call one of my criminal buddies and take care of this real quick. Oh well, onto something new."

Just give me one, small friggin' break.
I enjoyed this fast-paced, creepy psychological thriller. The author did a good job developing characters and then messing with your mind on if they were really good or evil.
I really enjoyed this book! So many twists and turns! I will definitely recommend this book. I rate it a 4.2.
There were definitely some twists and turns, but documentary filmmaker Erin just didn't play out very well as a character.
A good fun beach read that really makes you yearn for a vacation, but also second guessing it. Emotionally invested characters, but a tad predictable at times.
This book is amazing!  Erin, the female lead, slows emerges as a force to be reckoned with - nobody puts Erin in the corner!  The author's descriptive writing made me yearn to be on a Bora Bora beach with a fruity cocktail.  The banking industry jargon/regulations made my eyes glaze over but it really didn't detract from the story.
As a female I will admit I giggled joyously at the conclusion of the novel.  Men may not appreciate the justice/comeuppance the 'villain' receives though.
This is a fantastic tale of female empowerment, strength, and learning to be the captain of your own destiny.
This book starts off with a bang. The narrator is burying her husband in a shallow grave, and we know it’s going to take the entire book to find out why. But that’s okay. Great beginning. And then it begins to lag. So much unnecessary filler material , right down to details of tasting potential dinners for an exquisite wedding they can’t afford, then canceling the venue. I began to realize I didn’t like these people or the book. And it just got worse. Unbelievable situations with unrealistic decisions. Contrived moments of pseudo suspense. Stupid choices. Eventually I understood why the husband was dead. These people were too ridiculous to survive. Something in the water sounded more like an excuse for what was wrong with them, and the ending reinforced that. A real disappointment.
Oh. My. Goodness.

I read a majority of this book on the final leg of a road trip, and I was bummed when we got home because it meant I couldn’t read more.

Mark my words, this book will be a movie. It was SO good. I loved every bit. So much, that I immediately bought a copy for my mom to read on an upcoming trip, and a copy for a friend as a gift. Everyone should read this one!

I hope there is more from this author.

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I had some little trouble getting into this, but once the couple goes on honeymoon it really picks up and you don't want to put it down! Great debut novel from this author, highly recommend.
I saw this book listed on social media all over the place.  I had never heard of the author,  which I later learned was due to the fact that this is her first book, but there was a lot of hype going on so I knew I wanted to check it out. When I saw it available for review on NetGalley, I immediately requested, and thereafter received it.

Today's post is about Something in the Water: A Novel by Catherine Steadman. Right from the very first chapter, we know something bad has happened.  Truth be told, the opening to this book was one of the most compelling that I've read in sometime and definitely a great way to start things off.

After the big opening, readers go back in time and learn how Erin, the narrator of the story and documentary filmmaker, met Mark and how they fell in love. Mark is an investment banker who is currently Erin's fiancé.  We start out just a few weeks before Erin and Mark's wedding, which also happens to be the beginning of Erin's work on her film involving prisoners who are reintegrating into society after their release following incarceration.
Once they are happily married, the newlyweds head to their honeymoon in Bora Bora. Erin and Mark are having a fantastic time in this tropical paradise until...

....and then the mystery of the book....

thunk, thunk - there is “something” in the water that will cause this couple's lives to be altered. From this point on the tension is crazy amped-up and we see a chain of twisting and turning heart-pounding events begin to happen in rapid succession.  The series of tiny decisions that could lead Erin and Mark on different paths each step of the way was very well-written by the author. I honestly found myself unsure at each step as to what I would do in this situation, which choice I would make. Would I follow the same path that Erin and Mark did? What would I do, if I was in their shoes? What is the ethical thing to do in this situation?

Because I don't write spoilers, I have to stay this is about all I can share with you, just know that you will become engaged in this book right from the beginning, and you will love the ride this book takes you on! Without being overly descriptive and wordy, Ms. Steadman is able to clearly paint an amazing image of everything we see without being too heavy on the words or over-descriptive. I can't even believe this was Ms. Steadman's first novel, and I can't wait to see what's next!

I was provided with a complimentary electronic advanced reader copy through Net Galley in exchange for my post.  I was not required to post a positive review, but have chosen to do so because this book was great! Thank you!
While scuba diving on their honeymoon in Bora Bora, Erin and Mark find something floating in the water. Up until their discovery, the relationship between Erin and Mark had me intrigued...then they found what they found and the plot became steadily less and less plausible and the characters became less and less likable.

I can't recommend this one.
So great! I was worried this would be the same type of thriller that's being pumped out over and over again, but this was so much fun! Loved all the twists and turns.
Really enjoyed this story and found myself a bit frustrated with the naiveté. of the may character.  I liked the way she was able to come through to the end.
Thank you to Netgalley for a free copy of the book. I loved this thriller! It was very fast paced and I loved the exotic location of the honeymoon in Bora Bora. I also loved the rich B plot of this novel. I was very excited to see this on Reese Witherspoon’s book club list. I also think it would make an excellent movie!