Hope Never Dies

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Jun 2019

While the book was fun, I don't think it managed to live up to the hype. Reads much like a cozy, but with major bromantic overtures and a lot of vice presidential pouting. I think the buzz around this book - and its premise - got me too excited and I expected too much from it. Great for fans of cozies and amateur sleuths, but less so for someone expecting a lot from a spoof.
If you need a break from present day America, this is the book for you. It's completely unrealistic, but that is why I read fiction. Some may say it's a little too late for a book to help people with the hope hangover from the previous administration but you know what? Hope never dies.
What a fun read that is just for those of us who are feeling less than hopeful with the current administration in place.

It is a few months into the start of the new administration’s term in the White House, and Joe Biden is feeling a bit bored, and a bit put out by President Obama’s many adventures with celebrities that he sees online and on television.

At this time he learns of the death of a friend, a favorite Amtrak conductor. However, the former VP is dragged into the events of the death, and soon begins to suspect that a murder may have occurred. As Joe Biden starts following the trail of (what seem to be) clues in an effort to discover the mystery surrounding his friend’s death, he finds himself joined by Barack Obama as well as secret service agent Steve who does his best to keep the two safe.

This book is told completely from the perspective of VP Biden, and you can’t help but feel like you are getting a true account of his thoughts and actions as he and Barack Obama confront a hostile police lieutenant, a biker gang, and a long haired mystery woman in the pursuit of a killer. You might as well throw poor Steve in there who just wants to survive this two so he can get on a better detail.

Exactly what you need to read for fun during the summer. I laughed out loud so many times. It isn’t dark, heavy, or requires even trying to figure out “whodunnit.” It is a book to read for sheer enjoyment as well as for the nostalgia of the hope that these two figures brought us while in office. It made me happy the whole time I read it.

For fans of mysteries, humor, over the top action, as well as VP Joe Biden and President Barack Obama. I highly recommend to any book lover, period.  Rating:  LOVED.
This want quite as funny as I expected it to be, but it was delightful all the same. That cover is perfection!
This is a lark of a book and really fun to read. The mystery is serviceable and all is well at the end. I would have given another star if Joe wasn't portrayed as such a whiner. Still the cover alone makes it worth owning.
Is this book 100% Barack Obama and Joe Biden fanfic where they solve crimes together in a sweet-ass car? Yes, it is. I love Quirk Books as a publishing company because they publish the weird, quirky shit that other people wouldn't think of. Like who would have gone "oh hey, now that Obama/Biden are out of the White House, let's write a book about them?" Andrew Shaffer, that's who.
This was a fun book. It was engaging. I can't attest to how well the author sticks to the personalities of Obama and Biden, since honestly I have never met them or researched them much.  It was a fun mystery, not too scary, not boring at all. The fun of this book, I think, is giggling over the situations that Obama and Biden find themselves in, and how they interact with one another. Especially in the shithole that is the Trump administration, it's nice to think these guys are out there, still doing good deeds in the world. I hope they actually read this book.
The 2016 Presidential Election has ended. Former Vice President Joe Biden doesn’t quite know what to do with himself. As he watches his former boss Barack Obama vacationing with the likes of Richard Branson, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Hollywood superstar Bradley Cooper, he feels discarded and hopeless. All this changes when Obama arrives on Joe’s doorstep one evening with the news of the death of a dear friend of Joe’s..

Hope Never Dies is a fun read with an interesting premise – “Hey, I got an idea! How about Biden and Obama team up to solve a murder?” When the story begins, it doesn’t appear to be anything deeper than a total bromance between the internet’s two favorite political pals, however, there is actually a pretty solid mystery at the novel’s core. Shaffer kept me guessing right up until the end due to several sly red herrings thrown in to misdirect this reader.

I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I can’t say I know much about Joe Biden, so I’m not sure if this characterization comes anywhere close to that of the former Vice President. I’m not sure if that even matters, to be honest. Biden is described as a broken-down man struggling to come to grips with a directionless life. Some of the similes and descriptions that Biden explores are surface-level deep and downright groan-worthy, although, I believe that’s the point. Above all else, it’s his incorruptible character that makes him the perfect fit for an amateur sleuth.

On the other hand, Obama is played like the ultimate bad-ass dripping with swagger, which is a far cry from the casual, Dad-jeans wearing forty-fourth president we all remember. That said, he ends up being the perfect Yin to Biden’s Yang. To put it another way, if Biden is Carlton, than Obama is Will Smith. Shaffer succeeds in writing some entertaining back-and-forth dialogue between the two, even if I could never imagine them saying some of the things that come out of their mouths.

I have to admit I really only asked for a copy of this book because the cover made me laugh. When I finished it, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. While I generally like my mystery novels dark and bleak, it’s nice to try something lighter once in a while. Hope Never Dies is the literary equivalent to a fun buddy-cop movie; an ideal summer read.
Irreverent, funny, and an utter joy to read.  The author manages to seamlessly mix the mystery, crime drama, satire, and action/adventure genres into a tale that is an utter delight to read.
I have such mixed feelings about this one.

On the one hand, it is a decent mystery with lots of plot excitement (when it relates directly to the mystery), clue reveals, fights, and chase scenes.

On the other hand, when the story isn't directly centered on the mystery itself it just goes off the rails (no pun intended). It's downright boring.  And the actual characters of Biden and Obama are so vague as to be anyone. Obama comes off as a mythical creature who pops in randomly and doesn't say much. Biden is given the biggest disservice, though, because he comes off as whiney and incompetent.

This one missed the mark for me.
Enjoyed this book- part hard boiled mystery, part bromance nostalgia tour with Biden & Obama. Silly but fun and surprisingly well written
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.

HOPE NEVER DIES by Andrew Shaffer reunites former-Vice President Joe Biden with his best friend and partner in crime, former-President Barack Obama, in a hilarious and somewhat-suspenseful mystery. The novel is due out on July 10th 2018 by Quirk Books.

Ever since their term in the White House ended, Joe Biden has been hanging around at his home in Delaware and getting increasingly more upset with Barack Obama for going off and having the time of his life while ignoring his best friend. Needless to say, but the bromance is definitely suffering. And it’s unfortunate circumstances that bring the dynamic duo back together. When Barack learns that one of Joe’s old friends – a railroad conductor that Joe has known since he first started traveling on Amtrak to Washington DC during his early days as a Senator – has died under mysterious circumstances, he travels to Delaware to give Joe a heads up. The two then team up together to uncover the truth of what happened to Joe’s friend, and help bust a crime ring in Delaware.

While HOPE NEVER DIES is definitely campy fanfiction, it is also an interesting mystery novel staring Joe Biden and Barack Obama. When I first saw the novel, I almost couldn’t believe it was real. But it is real, and it is a must read regardless of your political affiliation. I mean, how could you not read a book starring Joe Biden as a straight-forward, sarcastic, corny, and slightly bitter protagonist? The man is bumbling around and going up against biker gangs and hardened criminals. And his wife, Jill, has no idea what he’s gotten himself in to. Joe Biden doesn’t even know what he’s gotten himself in to! What makes it even better is that his best friend is reluctantly along for the ride. Barack Obama is Joe’s shotgun wielding, unicorn riding, Secret Service dodging, ninja-like side-kick. Yes, the tables have turned and now Joe is the one calling the shots.

I’ll admit that I couldn’t take this book all that seriously. The whole concept is absurd – but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a wonderfully, insanely, absurd idea. After reading HOPE NEVER DIES, I want to believe that somewhere – perhaps in a parallel universe – Barack Obama’s and Joe Biden’s bromance is alive and well, and that they are fighting crime while ducking the Secret Service and accidently breaking the law themselves.
Ok this book is a hoot😄. Humor, sarcasm, chases (with a bum knee), speeding trains and the ‘brothers’ keep going. The author made me feel as if Amtrack Joe was really speaking. He captured The VPs voice—or what I would think his voice would be— beautifully. The Pres comes off a little too humorless and stiff but it works well with the storyline. The Medal of Honor parts were so heartfelt and the premise of Guy jealousy was sweet. A very unusual read so read it!
Provided by the publisher for an honest review
"This mystery thriller reunites Vice President Joe Biden and President Barack Obama for a political mashup full of suspense, intrigue, and laugh out loud bromance.

Vice President Joe Biden is fresh out of the Obama White House and feeling adrift when his favorite railroad conductor dies in a suspicious accident, leaving behind an ailing wife and a trail of clues. To unravel the mystery, "Amtrak Joe" re-teams with the only man he's ever fully trusted--the 44th president of the United States. Together they'll plumb the darkest corners of Delaware, traveling from cheap motels to biker bars and beyond, as they uncover the sinister forces advancing America's opioid epidemic.

Part noir thriller and part bromance novel, Hope Never Dies is essentially the first published work of Obama/Biden fanfiction--and a cathartic read for anyone distressed by the current state of affairs."

I need an escape from the currents state of affairs...
If you enjoyed the Obama/Biden memes of the past, this book is for you, If you long for a simpler time when we all just wanted Uncle Joe to tell Dad jokes and Obama to look cool doing whatever it is he did- this book is for you. I hate to compare it to fan fiction, but it is some damn good fanfiction and I'm living in hope for a sequel right now.
3.5 Fabulously campy. The completely ridiculous guilty pleasure I needed right now while still dropping some truth bombs.

“The current administration knew how to do one thing right: if you wanted to push through an unpopular agenda with minimal resistance, distract the bastards. Do something everyday to grab the headlines - something big, bold, and preferably stupid - thereby banishing dull stories about how you were systematically dismantling the country to the back pages with the Hagar comics. “

Also that subtle nod to Zoolander with the orange mocha Frappuccino was fantastic.
This book is highly amusing, and will appeal to both conservatives and liberals. Politics plays a backseat, and the focus is on the relationship between Obama and Biden. The plot is fairly predictable, but still entertaining, and the tone has a noir feel. Biden is sometimes portrayed as a doddering old man, while Obama is portrayed as a ignorant of Biden's feelings of loneliness and abandonment. This will still have lots of appeal in libraries, as readers will flock to the title for the characters.
An entertaining read starring Biden and Obama, with a healthy dose of humorous snark. If this will be a series, I'd gladly read the next title..
Imagine you're former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. You're enjoying your retirement, watching TV with your wife, Dr. Jill Biden, and absolutely not looking at photos of who you thought was your best friend BASE jumping with Bradley Cooper. You find out your favorite train conductor has died, an old pal of yours, and said former best friend, President Barack Obama, informs you that there might be more to the story than just a weird death on the train tracks.
To say I jumped at the chance to read this book is an understatement. I want to first thank Andrew Shaffer for writing this novel and also Netgalley for approving me to get the ARC. I know it was made in good fun, but Hope Never Dies was honestly a really great and quick read. I got maybe 15% in before I started recommending it to friends.
Hope Never Dies had humor, heart, a great mystery where I didn't predict the ending, and, without knowing Biden personally, I feel like Shaffer got his personality exactly with this book.
From the publisher: Vice President Joe Biden is fresh out of the Obama White House and feeling adrift when his favorite railroad conductor dies in a suspicious accident, leaving behind an ailing wife and a trail of clues. To unravel the mystery, “Amtrak Joe” re-teams with the only man he’s ever fully trusted—the 44th president of the United States. Together they’ll plumb the darkest corners of Delaware, traveling from cheap motels to biker bars and beyond, as they uncover the sinister forces advancing America’s opioid epidemic.

A run of the mill mystery elevated by the fact that it's narrated by a (fictional) Joe Biden, kicking around with nothing to do and missing his BFF Barack Obama. When a friend from his days riding Amtrak is killed, Obama shows up at his house, secret service agent in tow (poor Biden no longer qualifies for secret service protection).

Biden and Obama (and the dour secret service agent) get pulled into solving the mystery and busting a drug running ring. Obama is cool but heroic; Biden is self reflective and self deprecating. Everything we loved about those Obama/Biden memes is captured in this book. Biden jokes with the clerk at a convenience store about the weather; when she responds with "global warming," Obama counters with a lecture on climate change.

Hope Never Dies got a big draggy, but it's worth continuing for those golden Obama/Biden moments. Recommended for those who miss their presidential bromance.

I read an advance reader copy of Hope Never Dies; it will be available at the Galesburg Public Library as an ebook and in print in July,
Well this book is just a lot of fun! Joe Biden, Barak Obama, a murder and two guys trying to solve it that have no business being within 100 miles of a murder. The mystery is not great but the bromance is still there and will make you all nostalgic.