Cover Image: Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

I was really excited to read this version of Romeo & Juliet by Manga Classics! I honestly love these comic book adaptations of classic novels. I have a few classics-as-comics from various publishers (Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Fahrenheit 451) and I absolutely love them all! I think it is really important to study the great works of literature, and adapting them into comic book format makes them super fun, quick, and easy to read. It also is a great way to create a discussion around the text. I was impressed with the book; for a shortened version of the text, the authors did a fantastic job of selecting the important parts of the text, highlighting and explaining it in a fun and easy way. The illustrations provide a wonderful visual for the reader that really helps to imagine the story, which I love!
The format of this book is weird and I really hoped I liked it but I couldn't get into it. It was pretty slow and arduous and at times I just feel like putting the book down and move on from it. I was hoping for an enjoyable but can't deny that it was certainly interesting but unfortunately I still find it disappointing.
A brilliant adaptation of a timeless classic. The manga format definitely can aid in allowing readers of different types to enjoy this story.
This book wasn’t for me. For some reason I thought the language wouldn’t be in old English and it would be a more modern retelling so because of that, it didn’t really captivate me. On the other hand, illustrations were fantastic!
Another solid manga adaptation of the classic drama, Romeo and Juliet. Manga Classics consistently delivers thoughtful, engaging takes on the oftentimes challenges source texts. Their adaptation team really does an amazing, thoughtful job boiling down a story to it’s essence, and making it accessible to a wide variety of readers without watering it down. They are invaluable in my middle school classroom, and expose many kids to classics they may not be willing to pick up or able to read in it’s traditional format. The manga style illustrations are striking and draw kids (and adults!) into the story, supporting comprehension.  In the case of Romeo and Juliet, it will give them a solid understanding of the tragedy and an introduction to the style and language of Shakespeare, which will no doubt help them further down the line in their education. I highly recommend this, and others in the series, for a classroom.
This manga is absolutely amazing! I loved it from the beginning to the end. It is so beautiful, I really love the artwork!
It is easy to read and I enyoed re-reading Romeo and Juliet.
Amazing manga that everyone should read. I think it could support literature class.

German:
Der Manga ist total schön! Ich hab es sehr genossen Romeo und Julia noch einmal zu lesen. Es ist leicht zu verstehen, ohne etwas auszulassen. Außerdem ist die Kunst in diesem Manga wunderschön! Jede Seite hat mich aufs neue begeistert und in seinen Bann gezogen.
Ich denke der Manga könnte unterstützend im englisch Unterricht verwendet werden, um das lesen von Shakespeare zu vereinfachen.
Sehr schön!
Romeo and Juliet
William Shakespeare
Manga Classics
Juvenile

In fair Verona and a time long ago there lived two families who did nothing but fight when they would have a chance to meet. This feud had lasted so long most did not know the cause, but they knew that the other was the enemy. At this time the head of each family had one child each. Romeo was the son of the Montagues and Juliet the daughter of the Capulets. They fell in love, but unfortunately so many obstacles stand between them and their happily ever after.
   Shakespeare was a magnificent playwright whose stories come alive through his choice of language and the imagery they provide even without actors or pictures. The illustrator of this manga story did a wonderful job putting pictures to Shakespeare’s story so that you truly feel like you understand how the characters feel throughout the play.  I do like that the manga uses the traditional wording rather than rewriting in a more modern dialect.
  I recommend this to older readers or those who can understand the complex language Shakespeare uses. This is a great adaptation and those who enjoy Shakespeare will really enjoy the adaptation.
  I received a free ecopy of this book from Netgalley for my honest opinion.
This comic sadly is completely based off of Shakepeare's old language and I really can't understand it, which affects my ability to rate this. However since I must I will be rating it fairly as while I did not enjoy the language, I did enjoy the art and format which was all the author. The language is not a fault of author. From what I saw so far as I have not finished it, thereby will not be rating it, the art is beautiful and each character is introduced with a name box which will be helpful for readers. I do apologize about this situation.
I really loved this adaptation although there were'nt so many different details as in the origibal book.
Not sure where I'm supposed to view this ACSM file. Same thing happened with two other titles I downloaded.
I am going into all of these manga adaptations with this one particular question in mind: is it going to get someone who would never read the source material, to engage with the source material in a meaningful or substantial way?

For Romeo and Juliet-- yes. For sure, a teenager in particular would probably engage with the story in a more meaningful way than, say, the original play.

However, I would still personally probably recommend a student struggling with the source material to watch one of the movie versions. Or, you know, both. Do both. Read the manga, watch the movie, read the play. Whatever it takes to get that teen their A on their English essay.

While I personally found all the background graphics to be distracting and busy (I am more of a shoujo reader myself so I'm probably more used to less busy images) it does add a particular nuance to the word meanings.

This is definitely one of the more in depth adaptations of Romeo and Juliet and I would far recommend it over the more click-baity adaptations like "YOLO Juliet" to any student/teen asking for secondary materials.
Everyone knows the story of Romeo and Juliette. There is no need to go into grand details about their ill-fated love and the hatred that ultimately led to their demise.

However, what I can say it that the artwork in this volume brings Romeo and Juliette to life in ways that the script alone cannot. Each page moves seamlessly through the tale and allows reader to focus more on the language and less on imaging it. Since the language is difficult for modern readers - at least those like myself who are not literary majors - this manga version of Romeo and Juliette allows us to enjoy the story without missing anything.

I look forward to reading more literary classics in manga form!
I think the art could be slightly better. However, the story is well portrayed. It's a great way of introducing a classic such as Romeo & Juliet to a younger audience/an audience who isn't very interested in reading the book. It's a good way of making it appealing. Rating: 4/5 stars.
Nothing changed about the script but the adaptation was nice. It was beautifully put together. The pages was a little blurry for me but other than that great job.
The pages are a little blurry and I am nor sure I understood everything. The characters are not really distinctive but overall it was the Romeo and Juliet story
I love all this Manga Classics editions and this one wasn't any different. I feel like the art style perfectly matches the story of Romeo and Juliet. I think the way the manga shows the imagery and the messages Shakespeare wrote in such a way that makes the story more accessible for a wider audience. This is the third manga adaptation from this series that I read this year and I think I can officially say I'm addicted to the beautiful artwork of the different artists and the way the stories take new life through their eyes.
This was a really fun way to read this classic book. I can imagine teenagers connecting much more with the story than reading in the play format. My only negative feedback is that sometimes the character art was confusing; I had trouble keeping track of who was who. But overall, a great adaptation. Original text was kept.
A love story so endearing and timeless that has been brought to life with stunning illustrations.  It is a story of love at first sight and stirs memories of my first love at a tender age.

"For never was a story of more woe than that of Juliet and her Romeo."  A great read in Manga.
É uma forma diferente de  ler Shakespeare, principalmente se alguém gosta  de GN. E esta  é muito bem produzida.
Beautiful manga adaptation of a well known classic. Lovely art, stays very true to the original. Just beautiful.