Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I want to start with why did I pick up this book in the first place. The reason was obvious, eh. It was the classic Romeo and Juliet that everyone adores. (To be honest, I find the story rather foolish, especially thinking how the two were just teenagers. I mean, isn't that what we tell teenagers these days? That you are just a kid—you have no idea what love is?) I had read an abridged version a few years ago—the one that was in simple English and not the old English. It had accounted for a decent read back then. And no, I had not fallen in love with the characters. But perhaps that's the thing with me. I just cannot consume love.

In any case, that is why I picked up this book. It was a fairly decent read. The story was up to the mark with barely any variation whatsoever. Of course though, it was written in old English so eh... the dialogues were a little problematic for me. But then, what did I expect? Romeo rapping like Eminen? (That would have been really fun, though! Haha!)

In any case, the illustrations here were top-notch. They depicted the scenes beautifully and I rather enjoyed myself while going through it (despite the old English used, hehe)!
This is wonderful! I love Shakespeare and manga. The art is beautiful and this is a great way for people to read Shakespeare without being overwhelmed.
I really liked the art involved and how much of the storyline this manga fit in. This adaption didn't just show a 'love story', as usual, it also showed a catastrophic feud between two families that was tearing a city apart, affecting even innocent bystanders and all the drama involved with that. I really do feel like this adaption added to my understanding and view of the original story of Romeo and Juliet. I really enjoyed the "I bite my thumb at you" scene near the beginning, it was funnier seeing it in manga form than reading it, and I found that I enjoyed the story more as a whole. It also featured some of my favorite lines (for instance, "I have lost myself, I am not here: this is not Romeo, he's some other where.")
However, the story of Romeo and Juliet still isn't one I particularly like, it's a just a teen romance gone very, very wrong (three people and the main couple died after a few days, etc.). It really showed how dramatic Romeo really is (to a hilarious degree as well, though I'm sure that was probably the intention of the artist as well as Shakespeare himself, haha). The adaption itself was great quality and true to original, but I'm still not a big fan of Romeo and Juliet, but this is probably my favorite version thus far. It made me laugh at some points and the ending scene was very beautiful.

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher Udon Entertainment, and the author for giving me the opportunity to read a digital copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Manga Classics are always exceptional, but their adaptation of Romeo and Juliet goes above and beyond. For one, this volume keeps the translated text of the play so in theory someone struggling to understand Shakespeare's work could read this as a way to help them understand what is happening. But the true highlight of this book is the artwork. The manga artist  does a stunning job bringing the story to life. From character designs to the setting to the spreads depicting Shakespeare's lush use of language--the entire volume bursts with a beauty only found through manga style artwork. I appreciate how the artist designed the characters because Romeo and Juliet are so young and it's a reminder how naive they truly were. I would definitely recommend this to someone who finds Shakespeare's plays difficult or who likes manga style graphic novels. I hope Manga Classics adapts other Shakespeare plays in the future.
I love the collection of Manga Classics! I was so excited about the Romeo and Juliet manga because it is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays.

I have fond memories of this play because my class performed it in grade 5. It was the first Shakespeare play I ever read. I can still remember parts of it off by heart.

This was a great adaptation of the play. My favourite part was Juliet’s nurse. She was such a funny and dramatic character. She would ramble on about things without getting to the point. Her character in this story was a large woman who screamed a lot. She was overly dramatic, which added a lot of humour to this tragic story.

This is a great adaptation of Romeo and Juliet!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Stacy King is a marvelous writer. I love her manga adaptations of classics (even though I’ve only read two so far). I enjoy her adaptation even more due to the fact that she puts so much research into her work – you can clearly see that in the final pages of the manga where she explains how she visited the locations mentioned in the story and puts her sketches.

I enjoyed the art very much and the characterisation through it. For example, I loved that every male character had a specific sword which was weirdly very fitting for his character.

There is no point in putting a summary of the story of Romeo and Juliet since this play by Shakespeare is one of the most famous stories in the world. This is why I am keeping this review short. I believe everyone who enjoys Shakespeare and plays in general will sincerely enjoy this manga classic.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
An amazing adaptation of a classic tale. Shakespeare's tragedy comes to life with brilliantly imagined art.
I find it very hard to read Shakespear's plays. Not only is the language hard, I think that the plays should be seen, performed to fully understand, not just read. You just don't get the full experience that way. Because of that, I enjoyed very much reading the manga version of Romeo and Juliet. the story comes alive, it's all more vivid and just jumps from pages.
Unfortunately, I could not review this book because the file did not download correctly and I cannot access it. It could be my computer - it's an old compaq but it pulls through in a pinch. The book looks really cool though!
The classic masterpiece of Shakespeare comes to life as a manga. The art is gorgeous, the dialogue feels very much like a play rather than what you'd usually read in manga and the ending was as tragic as I remember it.
Loved this version! The artwork it captivating, and really brings the story to life. I think it's such a cool idea to bring well known classics to life using manga style artwork, and these are beautiful and something that would add beauty and brilliance to anyone's library!
I've never enjoyed Shakespeare, but I wanted to give this timeless tale another try through a Manga Classics rendition, as I thought it would make it more interesting. Unfortunately, I still didn't enjoy the story itself, but it would be unfair to judge the manga based on a story written so long ago.

As for the manga itself, though, having read several of the Manga Classics, I'm sad to say this was my least favorite in terms of composure and, most importantly, artwork. It was very simplistic and lacking in details in many panels, and just wasn't as enjoyable to look at as most of the others in the MC line have been.
These are an enjoyable series. I love the adaptation of the classic Romeo and Juliet tale. I think if Shakespeare was around today he would appreciate this faithful adaptation of his classic tale of two lovers in fair Verona. Really do recommend this series.
Like all of the UDON Manga classics I’ve read, I really enjoyed the art of this book, but I wish they’d have simplified the language a bit. Reading Shakespeare as a manga makes the play somehow more approachable - language-wise, I mean - but it’s still Shakespeare...
I loved this book and think that it would be a good addition to any ELA library! This version makes the story so easy to understand that it would be sure to assist any struggling students.  It is perfect for visual learners!
We all enjoy one way or another the story of Romeo and Juliet, whether version you read, original version, modern version, futuristic version, or in this case manga version.
We know it by heart and every time it is remade we look for new things or changes that each writer adds or removes according to their vision.
To say that I enjoyed this manga is to be short, starting with the first thing that attracts me was the beautiful illustrations, I loved it from beginning to end, an excellent version full of successes.
One of the most famous works of Shakespeare, as well as one of the most famous love story.
While I do like Much Ado About Nothing and Macbeth better, this is a great classic that was transformed and adapted very beautifully by UDON Entertainment!
With great lines, and beautiful art I loved revising this classic again!
Would totally give it together with the book of the play as a gift for a friend or someone that wishes to get to know this tragic love story!

I would like to thank NetGalley and Udon Ent. to let me get back to this era and see it all happen again in the form of a beautiful art! 5 out of 5 stars!
I was very interested in these set of books from Udon Entertainment because I find that younger generations are able to connect with classic literature easily through visuals and more modern interpretations. I think that 'Romeo and Juliet' does a pretty good job with this. They pace the story well, considering it has to be condensed for an art style book; however, I do wish they had update the language at least a little bit. Part of the purpose of these books is to be more accessible, yet using the traditional Shakespearean language makes it still out of reach. I understand the desire to use the original text, as it is how the original is portrayed and it makes it unique. However, even most modern re-writes and releases at least contain an on-page translation for some of the more out-dated terms. I do love the art, and I would still highly recommend this to readers who are struggling to understand the original written copy because the visuals do add some context, but it may still be out of reach to those who don't know how to interpret the original language.

I received a free ARC of this title through NetGalley. All of my thoughts and opinions are my own.
I love the art style and the story! The creators do a wonderful job, as always, turning the story into a manga. I've always enjoyed the story, but now I like it even more.

Stacey King did a great job, just as she does with all of her classics to manga. I highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys manga and/or Romeo and Juliet. 5 out of 5 stars most definitely!
I have been loving these manga classics, but this one is not my favorite!

English is not my first language, so I always struggle with reading classics, and I think that's why I didn't enjoy this one as I hoped to. And they used the Shakespeare's original text  which I honestly don't fully understand.
I kept looking up words and many phrases confused me and I kept guessing the meaning. I know the fault is on me because I couldn't fully immerse myself in the manga with this writing and I hoped it was simplified.

But if you love Romeo & Juliet the classic, I am sure you would really enjoy the manga. :)

To end this on a high note, the artwork was amazing as I expected it to be. This manga brings the classic Romeo and Juliet to life!

I am so excited that there is always new manga from this classics series to add to my reading list from time to time.