No One Ever Asked

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This is a well thought out novel that slowly gives the reader ideas of what is to come. The more I read, the deeper my appreciation of how the sensitive subjects of race and misconceptions can change lives. I have vague memories of desegregation in the South. The news showed one scared looking girl clutching her books while walking up the steps to a high school. There were crowds of people and police and she looked so alone. I was only ten at the time so I didn't really "get" what was going on. This book is based on a real life situation in St Louis in 2013.

The characters, both black and white, are well developed. Their problems and reactions are believable. My emotions as I read ranged from empathy to outrage. No One Asked Me is a book that can change how people look at life and the issue of fear or acceptance.

I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from Waterbrook Multnomah through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are entirely my own.
#NoOneAskedMe #NetGalley
Wow . . . Just wow. Ganshert pens yet another emotionally moving, grippingly-real story. I can honestly say I have never read another book quite like No One Ever Asked.

Split between the point of views of three different women in vastly different worlds, this book kept me engrossed in the story throughout every page. Each character is so incredibly realistic you can't help but empathize with and relate to them. I think Jen's storyline was probably my favorite, as adoption is a subject very close to my heart, but I also very much enjoyed Anaya's and Camille's stories.

Ganshert deals with a very real and touchy subject - racism. And while she definitely doesn't shy away from the nitty-gritty details, she handles them with incredible tact and grace without downplaying or excusing them. This book is far from painless, yet I am incredibly glad I read it. It opened my eyes to so much and gave me an even greater understanding of racism and the other issues touched upon in this book.

All in all, No One Ever Asked is an incredible novel to add to your library. Highly recommended!

CONTENT NOTE: Recommended for ages 18+ due to mature themes
Katie Ganshert is one of my must read authors.  Her stories are thought provoking and timeless.  Her characters are complex and real..  Her writing is first rate.  Five Stars.
When an impoverished school district loses its accreditation and the affluent community of Crystal Ridge has no choice but to open their school doors, the lives of three very different women converge: Camille Gray--the wife of an executive, mother of three, long-standing PTA chairwoman and champion fundraiser--faced with a shocking discovery that threatens to tear her picture-perfect world apart at the seams. Jen Covington, the career nurse whose long, painful journey to motherhood finally resulted in adoption but she is struggling with a happily-ever-after so much harder than she anticipated. Twenty-two-year-old Anaya Jones--the first woman in her family to graduate college and a brand new teacher at Crystal Ridge's top elementary school, unprepared for the powder-keg situation she's stepped into.

There isn't much I can say about No One Ever Asked that hasn't already been said, but I will say that this truly is an amazing read and should be read by everyone! This book really makes you stop and think. While reading I found myself thinking about how people, including me, do actually label others based on how they look and who they are. It was an absolute eye opener and I feel so blessed to have had this opportunity to read this book!

Thanks to #NetGalley for the ARC of #NoOneEverAsked
Pub Date: 03 Apr 2018
This book gave me (a white Canadian woman) insight into racism in today's America.

On the surface Katie Ganshert's book, No One Ever Asked, is about the closing of a school district due to insufficient student enrollment. Consequently, the students are bused to the adjacent school district to continue their education. What this novel is really about is racism in America today. Ganshert's narrative reveals how the privileged, white soccer-moms are actually racist, although they are the first to deny it. But the tour de force of her writing is how she describes the insidious racism encountered by Afro-Americans everyday of their lives and the various mechanisms they use to survive the hatred and discrimination that never ceases.
Story like this remind me of the struggles that still exist in our country with regards to education. I recommend this book to anyone who likes Educated, this story will grab you and hold your attention until the end.
Enlightening! No One Ever Asked, by Katie Ganshert explores theme of rasiscm, segregation, the myth of the perfect family and touches on the #metoo movement. Well developed, flawed characters and a contemplative storyline leads the reader to explore their own beliefs, motives and prejudices. Would make a wonderful movie, I’m talking to you @reesewitherspoon!
Prejudice, discrimination, and racism infuriate me and it burns me inside to hear stories about it. For the life of me I can’t understand why it all still exists today, after all these years of education and awareness. Our children are taught about it in school and are taught that everyone should be treated equal, that the color of your skin does not matter, where you live and how much money you have shouldn’t matter, and that everyone should be kind and respectful. Yet so many of their role models; parents, teachers, guardians; do not follow these same rules and are demonstrating that the opposite is true. It is no wonder that so many young children, tweens, and teens feel confusion, terror and anger. Novels such as this are great reminders that the world we live in is still in a time that the color of your skin does matter, and that prejudice, discrimination, and racism are very real. This was a fantastic read filled with powerful messages and raw emotion. Perfect book club read that will prompt heartfelt discussion and revive awareness.
I have heard so many amazing things about this book, but even I was not prepared for just how good it is. This one grabbed both my heart and my mind and make me start thinking about my life in a way I never have before - or maybe never wanted to before.

This story merges the lives of three women living very different lives until the decision of a school board throws them all together. Unfortunately, my life probably most closely resembles that of Camille Gray, and the further I got into this book, the more I wanted to change this.

Camille and her family live in their own happily ever after, oblivious to the lives of those around them - especially the black people. Although they believe they are non-judgemental and open to everyone, they quickly learn that is not the case. On more than one occasion Camille found herself terrified about the way her family began to integrate with the new kids in school.

Jen and her husband have grown up in a mostly white world, and feel they have made strides in expanding their culture when they adopt a black child into their family. Jen quickly realizes she knows nothing about the culture or the world she must now raise her daughter in, but I appreciated how she went out of her way to learn what she needed to do to make sure her daughter has the best life possible.

And Anaya, a black teacher suddenly thrown into the midst of a white school district, doing her best to prove herself and care for her family. I loved this character and her willingness to put herself out there to better the lives of those around her - no matter their skin color or background. I thought she grew more than anyone throughout this book and I loved seeing her life evolve based on the choices she made.

I thought this was an amazing book with a great story and the ability to make you examine your life in a different way. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Pick up a copy today and make sure your library has it on their shelves as well.
When the South Fork school district loses its accreditation, the school district has to provide solutions--one of which is busing students to the Crystal Ridge district, a top-tier district in an affluent community. Camille Gray, PTA supermom in Crystal Ridge, is worried about how having students with low academic performance and troubled backgrounds will affect her three kids and the other kids in the Crystal Ridge district--but she insists it's not about race.  At the same time, her marriage of twenty-plus years is falling apart. All Camille wants is what's best for her family.
Jen Covington, who has recently adopted a daughter from Africa, wants to make sure her daughter has a diverse class and despite living in the Crystal Ridge district is considering enrolling her daughter in South Fork. When South Fork kids are allowed to enroll in Crystal Ridge, Jen sends Jubilee to a Crystal Ridge school, but just getting her daughter a black teacher isn't enough to help her navigate the ins and outs of being a new mom to a daughter who is different, and taking a job as the high school nurse doesn't fill that gap in her heart that she thought being a mom would fill.
Anaya Jones wanted to follow in her father's footsteps and teach at South Fork, but with the district a mess, she accepts a position teaching second grade and coaching high school track in the Crystal Ridge district., knowing all the while that parents like Camille Gray don't want her people--including her high school age brother--in their district.
As their lives intersect, all three women will come to see that they have much to learn about life and about each other.

DANG! This is the first book I've read by Kaite Ganshert and it blew me away. This book is so thought-provoking and heartwrenching. I loved seeing how each woman made good and bad choices; they just felt so real and so very human. I loved the message that they (and others) are more than just one bad choice and that learning and changing are possible. This book serves as a great reminder that we need to be really careful about judging people and situations because there are usually so many more factors and details than we realize. I read this by myself but I will definitely be recommending it to my book club because this is the sort of book you definitely need to talk about with others.

This is one of my picks for the best of 2018.

I read an ARC via #NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

This is my
This eye opening book dealt very well with many sensitive subjects. It was fast paced and held my attention. I highly recommend this book.
The synopsis of the book certainly intrigued me but I was definitely not prepared for the absolute ride that this book would take me on! I read the majority of it in one day...yup, a single day, I was so immersed in the storyline and characters that I honestly could not put it down.

Each of the three main female characters - Camille, Jen and Anaya were so well developed, flawed and interesting. I was interested in each of their stories and how they all interlinked. It's rare to have a book where there's multiple perspectives and I really enjoy all of them, so Ganshert did a fantastic job on this aspect.

The three women are brought together through the integration of students from the failing school district of South Fork - where the students are primarily black - and the prestigious district of Crystal Ridge which is predominantly white and middle class. The proposal and eventual integration of students causes heated debate and tension, which in turn makes the characters face their own prejudice and privilege.

The book deals with a number of really important and relevant issues such as racism, social class divide, segregation, infidelity as well as adoption and more.The representation of these issues felt so current and like the author did a lot of research and was well educated whilst writing. I feel like Ganshert approached these issues head on and unapologetically, with a lot of integrity too which I really respect her for.

The book also has a focus on family, in all it's various shapes and sizes which is central. The bond between a mother and her children, between a sister and brother, even estranged parents and their children, there's so much diversity in that regard that there's something every reader will be able to connect to. There's an emotional pull there that is undeniable.

The climax of the novel - which is hinted at earlier in the novel but not explicitly revealed, was shocking and kept me gripped. As you read the story you feel the tension and momentum building, which then results in a strong ending. I think the story ends in a realistic way, which makes sense and is also satisfying.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book, I've not read any of Katie Gansherts other work but I'll definitely be on the lookout as she is truly gifted. No One Ever Asked is a book I can definitely see myself re-reading and one I would really recommend to anyone seeking a powerful and thought provoking story.
This was such a great read! I haven't read anything by Katie Ganshert before but this came highly recommended by some of my reading friends and it did not disappoint.  It was such an engrossing novel that covered so many hard but important topics that anyone that lives in this country could relate to.  She was able to portray the characters with such great detail that I could connect with them and really see things from their perspective.  it was a story of challenges but also hope.  There was tension that built over the course of the story and it kept me totally engaged.  I highly recommend this book.  Thank you to Netgalley and WaterBrook Publishing for gifting me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book sucked me in immediately. Coincidentally I read it just after reading a similar book, Class by Lucinda Rosenfield. Socioeconomic levels and how they affect education is a subject that knows no end. I appreciated the story being told from many points of view.
This is the first book that I have read from Katie Ganshert, but totally will not be my last. I am a week out of finishing No One Ever Asked and I have already one clicked Life After and look forward to one clicking her others.
No One Ever Asked was an amazing story. The way Katie wrote her characters floored me. The topic of racism is something not many writers tackle but Katie not only tackled the pre conceived notions many people have she really covered it with respect and so much heart.
This book kept my attention from page 1 to the very last word. I look forward to reading more from Katie!
I am so incredibly happy to have read this book and sincerely thank WaterBrook & Multnomah publishing and Netgalley for the opportunity to review it.

Before seeing this title on Netgalley, I had never heard of this author or this book. The plot summary interested me and I thought it would be something to push my boundaries and make me uncomfortable (in a good way). Not only is this book incredible and a five star read, it is one of my favorite books of the year. Hands down.

The story begins with the South Fork school district's loss of accreditation. This school district is mostly made up of minority students and is severely underfunded and understaffed. Due to the accreditation loss, the school must offer the students the ability to transfer to Crystal Ridge, a more affluent school district that is number one in the state. This school district happens to be almost all white and the community does not handle the transfer news well. We observe how this unfolds through the eyes of Camille, the white, supermom, PTA Queen, who runs the annual 5k and organizes everybody and everything. Anaya, the young, black, new teacher at Crystal Ridge who takes on the immense challenge of teaching second graders and trying to keep her family afloat at the same time. Lastly, Jen, a middle class white woman who recently adopted a seven year old from Liberia. We watch her figure out what it means to be a new mother to a black child in this environment.

No matter how progressive your beliefs, or how much you previously thought you knew regarding the topic of race today in America - I urge you to read this book. The author has masterfully compiled so many different storylines that all interweave together, showing us how we all come with pre-conceived thoughts about a person (based on their appearance) or a topic (based on stereotypes we've grown up with) and how that can change when we communicate, open our minds and listen to each other.
Sometimes when you read a book, you can tell that the author is fully invested in topic.  That is the impression that No One Ever Asked gives to readers.
Anaya, Camille, Jen and Kathleen are suburban women, each making her way with the circumstances surrounding them. Their lives and families intersect when a disadvantaged school district closes and many of its students (and teacher Anaya) are put into the Crystal Ridge school district. Crystal Ridge, though, is ultra-advantaged and needs to make room in its thoughts and hearts for new families.
It’s interesting to see how the children assimilate versus the parents.  It covers socio-economic differences, race issues and perception faults.  It covers adoption of an orphaned, older child and bonding challenges.
There’s a lot to this story and readers may be able to see themselves in one (or more) of these characters.  This will challenge the reader to think about how they would fit into the circumstances and what we can do to adjust our thinking and love as God intends us to love.
When I was scrolling through the books available for reading and reviewing at NetGalley thanks to my blogging association with them, I came across this book.  While No One Ever Asked isn't Katie Ganshert's first book, but I hadn't heard of her previously so she was new to me. To be honest, it was the book cover that initially drew me in - I thought it was super cool - and then I read the description of the story! I said to myself, "oh man, I HAVE to read this one" and I immediately requested it.

I'm happy to say I was approved and had the opportunity to read While No One Ever Asked.  (I even bumped it up in my TBR stack because I was drawn to read it.)

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

— John 13:34-35

The story follows three main characters - there's Camille Gray, a white mother of three whose kids are in the elementary, middle, and high schools. Then there's Anaya Jones, a young black teacher who hoped to teach in the failing school district but ends up teaching second grade in the primarily white and upper class elementary school. The third is Jen Covington, a white mother of an adopted, black girl named Jubilee from Liberia.

No One Ever Asked is filled with very diverse and great characters.  The events that happen in this book reflect a modern story about race in America, and the desegregation of a school district. When a school in a primarily black district is graded as failing, the students from that school are given the option to be integrated into and bussed to a primarily white suburban school. The community is outraged because they don’t want their kids exposed to potentially dangerous youth of different ethnic backgrounds.

No One Ever Asked is a very thought provoking and powerful story with hard and real topics. There are many other issues beyond the racial aspect that would make for great conversation. I appreciated that most of the story didn’t end with a perfect ending - a "happily ever after" where problems and struggles are all figured out.  I really don't think I've ever read read another book quite like No One Ever Asked.

I was provided with a complimentary electronic advanced reader copy of this book through NetGalley in  in exchange for an honest review. This fact does not in any way impact my thoughts/feelings about the book.
NO! PLEASE STOP! I can’t take it anymore. I am horribly invested in this book. I have a life, teaching 11th graders, and this book seriously makes me want to quit my job so I can just read all day. What a freaking book!?!?! Stop what you’re doing and go get it, read it, and love it as much as I do! Thank you @netgalley and @katieganshert!
Follow the lives of Camille, Jen, and Anaya as their worlds entwine when an inner city school district loses its accreditation, sending many of their misplaced students to a well-to-do school district that is less than excited to take them in. Camille seems to have it all—a wealthy husband and three beautiful children that attend some of the best schools available. How will this school integration affect her affluent family? Jen, her husband, and their newly adopted Liberian daughter are new to town and just trying to settle into a normal life. Should they send their daughter to school with other kids like her or one where she is the minority? Anaya is in her first year of teaching and has accepted a job in the school district receiving transfer students. Despite her hesitancy, she is determined that she will make a positive impact somehow. With racism and segregation at the forefront of this story, these three women will have to figure out a way to do what is best for their children, family, and community.

This book was incredible! I was intrigued from the very beginning. There is such an intricate and enlightening story that unfolds, and it will stay with me long past the last page. Topics such as racism, segregation, family dynamics, adoption, and faith are all delicately and empathetically discussed within a story that just flows so well together. Each character was well developed and portrayed, with each of their personal stories  and growth being equally fascinating. How Katie Ganshert managed to piece together such difficult topics into a story so beautifully is beyond me. I think it really says something about a book when it can make you look at things differently in life—in a good way. My eyes have been opened to some of the significant struggles many individuals have faced and continue to face. I would highly recommend this book to anyone! It would spark some great discussion for a book club, or it could just be an enthralling solo read. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did!