Cover Image: Wild Hunger

Wild Hunger

When Elisa returns from studying in France, to her hometown of Chicago for peace talks for the old vampires of Europe, she is not prepared for a run in with her old nemesis Conner.  He tormented her as a kid and to see him now  even just his looks are a torment.  Add some political intrigue, assassination, and a whole lot of magic, and Chicago is ready to explode. Fun read!
Yay!  Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires the Next Generation is here. If you liked Merit and Darth Sullivan you'll love their daughter Elisa.
Full review to be published online in mid September.

WILD HUNGER is the first book in Chloe Neill's new ''Heirs of Chicagoland' series. his is a spinoff featuring the next generation of the original series. I had some mixed feelings about certain part; but it was great to see some of our old favorite characters, albeit 'aged', I would have liked to have seen more of them and gotten some answers about what they are up to,; but this is about the new group after all. Hopefully will get more in the next book about favorites from the original series; as well as more flashbacks from our new characters and about their lives growing up as the next generation.

WILD HUNGER is a good beginning to what looks to be another fun PNR series from Chloe Neill.
My first Neill. It was a quick but engaging paranormal read. I porpabely would have gotten more from it had I read the others but at least I have more for my list.
What a great start to the spin off series - fast paced action, romance & great characters!! I don't feel it's necessary to have read the Chicagoland Vampire series first,  but if you haven't I highly recommend them for a great read!!  Thank you NetGalley for the advanced copy.
5 star rating

This book is a great start to a promising new series. Love Elisa and she is a great character! Connor is way hot! Cannot wait for the next book!
I was surprised, albeit happily surprised, with how often Ethan and Merits characters showed up in this book. It was a little weird having Ethan and Merit be side characters, being able to hear their words without their thoughts. I almost felt left out, like I was missing something. But I guess that’s how it is with all spinoffs. It’s a good thing I loved Elisa’s character! Otherwise, I think it would be difficult to stick with the series.

First off, do not go into this book expecting a miniature Merit. Although Elisa has aspects of her parents, she is no Merit. She is more and so different. And as a side note, I love the parents Ethan and Merit turned out to be.

“My smart and kind and beautiful girl. He (Ethan) liked to say that, had been saying that for years, and had always put ‘beautiful’ last. Whether it was true or not, he’d tell me it was the least important of the three. “You are smart,” he’d say. “You should be kind. And if you are, you’ll always be beautiful.”

I love this quote because it says so much about their character and values. And again, it shows what kind of parents Ethan and Merit are. I do wish Elisa would have felt like she could have told them her secret. I can’t imagine the weight of having to carry that around with you, not being able to talk to anyone about it.

The prologue was really fun to read. Chloe Neill did a great job at capturing the innocents of a child and the love/hate relationship between two young kids. If you haven’t read Chicagoland Vampire series, then I don’t think you would fully be able to picture the scene described here. Neill doesn’t go into too much description with the characters. For example, you don’t really get the sense of just how big/dominating Gabriel and Ethan presence would be, especially to two young kids. I do love how Elisa refers to Connor as ‘Connor Stupid Keene’.

Elisa’s character is complex. She is 23 and although she is a vampire, she continues to age. Elisa is heroic but at times can become reckless. And although she thinks she has discovered herself in Paris, she still has no idea who she is in Chicago. But no matter where she is, she is unbelievably brave.  Knowing she has to do something, even if it means hurting the ones she loves most because it’s to save the innocent, doesn’t hurt any less. I love the innocence of Elisa’s character. Although She is able to step up to a fight, she is still affected by the loss of death.

The phrase ‘I’m an immortal’ has come from Elisa throughout the entire book. I’m not sure why it sticks out to me, but it does. I can’t help but wonder how and if this might come into play later.

Connor is just as gorgeous as he is cocky. The naked scene was far too short and such a tease. God I loved it!! I love the dominant side of him and I like how he’s honest with Elisa. Even when it’s hard, he tells her not what she wants but what she needs to hear. I like Connor’s take on Elisa’s ‘monster’. I don’t think I would have looked at it that way, but it makes sense.

Connor and Elisa have a very complicated relationship. On the one hand there’s old childhood resentment, then there is their life’s dream – for Elisa it’s being anonymous, earning her way. For Connor it’s being leader of the pack. – and finally, it’s the connection between them, discovering who they have grown to be. But even as the sparks fly between them, the rules are clear and choices will eventually have to be made.

The banter between Connor and Elisa is fantastic but there is definitely a love/hate, are we friends or more, kind of thing going on here.  Some of the scenes between Connor and Elisa are not only intense but they are seductive! Who would have thought having someone grab your hand to prevent you from turning could be so sensual?!?! Chloe Neill does such an amazing job with building sexual tension between the two characters!! She is such a gifted writer and Wild Hunger is no exception.

The side characters are fun to read. I love LuLu’s hidden hobby of running. Finally, a girl that speaks my heart! I love the little details Chloe Neill adds into her books. They make her characters, no matter how minor, seem more real and relatable. Even the side characters are written in such a  personal way, it’s easy to connect with them.

The plot is fun, exciting, and similar to Chicagoland Vampires series yet much more. Elisa has been away from Chicago, developing control, and is returning to support the houses in hosting peace talks amongst the other supernaturals in the world. And as you can imagine, those talks don’t exactly go as expected. One of the things I found interesting is how Cadogan house struck a deal with the mayor to not get involved in supernatural crimes. And part of me gets it – when supernaturals get involved, the city tends to get destroyed. But another part of me recognizes the injustice that is put upon a single race. I can’t help but make a comparison with today’s world and how we look, respond, and treat those of different races.  I’m not sure if that was Neill’s intention or not and it wasn’t like it was an overwhelming theme. Just something I noticed.

Okay, I promise I won’t say more about the plot and characters, don’t want to give too much away 🙂

The end of the book is fantastic! I’m surprised with how much Connor and Elisa’s relationship changes. Connor is going to have his hands full with her! And that darn prophecy! Ah, I love it. This is a book you will want to read. I’ve had it on pre-order from the very beginning and even though I was given an advanced copy, I can’t wait for the book to come. This will be a book I will read again and a new series I am looking forward to starting.
I received this ARC from the publisher for an honest and voluntary review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

When Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampire series came to an end, I was upset, but happy with where things left off. So when I heard she was writing a spinoff, Heirs of Chicagoland that would feature Ethan and Merit's daughter, Elisa and Gabriel's son, Connor, I knew I was in for a treat! Wild Hunger is the first in this new series which I hope proves to be just as long and delightful as its predecessor!

Elisa is the first vampire child in existence, no one knows what she will be capable of, it's sort of a learn as you go kind of situation. Elisa has had a good life for the most part, now at 23 she's living in Paris serving one of the houses there voluntarily. Then one day she and the rest of the vampires in her house are called to Chicago for a series of peace talks. While Elisa loves her parents and Chicago, she isn't exactly happy to be returning home. For as long as she can remember she's battled with an inner monster, one that isn't her vampire self, but is tied to the something that happened before she was born when her mother battled with a great evil. Returning home to where her mother's katana and where the other half of the monster is imprisoned will prove to be greater battle than any Elisa has fought before...or so she will think.

In Chicago, Elisa finds that not much has changed in the four years since she last left. Except for one person, Connor. Connor is Gabriel's son and is a shifter. While he is not set to lead the Pack after his father steps down, but he is in the running. He and Elisa were the only supernatural children growing up, so to say that they were in each other's lives a lot is putting it mildly. They didn't always get along either, but now things have obviously changed.

The peace talks start off pretty well, even with Claudia and her consort's interruption about wanting to be involved as well. It's at the next party that the vampires throw in celebration of the peace talks going well that terror strikes! A vampire is murdered and one of Connor's friends and Packmates is the accused. Connor knows he's innocent and since Elisa knows him as well, she soon realizes he is innocent too. But with the treaty in place that say House vampires cannot get involved in matters that the Ombudsman declares his and the city's business, the vampires are stepping back. Except for Elisa since she's never technically became a member of Cadogan House. Elisa soon sets off on her own investigation all while trying to keep her inner monster under control.

I truly loved this book! As a fan of Chloe's debut series, it doesn't surprise me that I fell quickly in love with this one! I can say that if you haven't gotten around to the Chicagoland Vampire series, you could easily pick this one up and not feel lost over things from the past. For the most part everything that happened from the previous series gets rehashed out here, and it wasn't too much really. And of course there will be familiar faces and names that you won't be privy to, but for the most part, this is Elisa's story and her series. So new readers are in a good place to start off should they choose to not read the first series, though since it was freaking amazing, I highly recommend it!

What I really, really liked about Elisa was how much of her own person she was. I almost expected her to take after one of her parents more and be like a Merit Jr. or Ethan Jr. But she's truly her own character. Yes, she might have traits that are reminiscent of Merit or Ethan, but I really felt like she stood on her own and I loved that about her! That she's her own person is so refreshing!

It shouldn't be a surprise that Elisa's best friend is Lulu, daughter of Mallory and Catcher Bell! Lulu is also very different from her magically talented parents and again, I gotta love that about her! Though some of her sparkling personality did remind me of Mallory and she's got some snark to her that is definitely like Catcher as well, she probably takes after her parents more than Elisa, but still different too! She was a riot and I loved the friendship she shared with Elisa!

And then of course there's Connor! Connor was who the bane of her existence as she grew up. Their friendship kind of picks up where they left off almost, but it's clear that both of them did some growing up as well. The sparks take awhile to fly, much as they did for another couple we all know and love! While we only just got the briefest tease of things to come, it was still enough to send my heart soaring!

The action in this one was as well paced as ever! It's just the right amount of investigating and trying to prove a man's innocence as can be expected. There was daring heights of conflict that sent my heart racing as well, dying to know if the right side wins! And in the end, things are resolved in a most satisfying way.

Since this is the first in a new series of undetermined length, I'd like to think that there's a reason for such a satisfying ending. Perhaps Chloe is just softening us up for things to come. Who's to say, though I will say that there are a few tiny things that are left unanswered, but it's no Hard Bitten, that's for sure! I am hoping that there will be plenty of books ahead in the years to come because I truly love this side of Chicago! It's definitely my kind of town!

Chloe Neill has done it again and brought us yet another reason to love vampires (and shifters too)! Wild Hunger was an incredible page-turner that kept me doing just that! It was a read I loathe to put down and it pretty much set the bar high for the series to come! I cannot wait to read more!

Overall Rating 5/5 stars

Wild Hunger releases August 14, 2018
I really enjoyed this story. Not only do you have characters from before, but you get to see how things have changed and the new main characters are great.
I was excited about this spin-off series, but also a little nervous wondering if Elisa and Connor could live up to what I loved about Ethan and Merit's series.  I have to say, the author did a fantastic job of giving you just enough to understand the dynamics from the Chicagoland Vampire series but make this one stand on it's own.  But more importantly, we got a grown-up Elise Sullivan (who is the perfect combination of her parents), Lulu Bell and Conner Keene who completely owned this book.

I loved Elise.  She was the perfect mixture of her parents and there were many times where I sat there thinking "yep, that's totally something your mother/father would do."  But I was awed by her struggle to find her place and how both she and Lulu kinda rebeled against who their parents are.  That endeared her to me more.  Yes, she jumped into things (very much her mother's daughter) but it was with a sense of righting a wrong and twisting the rules so she could (very much her father's daughter).

The developing relationship with Connor has me intrigued.  It left me wondering if Gabriel had seen his son with Elise way back when he had his vision of Ethan and Merit's daughter.  And I'm now left puzzling what obstacles these two are going to have to fight in order to get their HEA.

If you enjoyed the Chicagoland Vampire series, Heirs is a must read.  There are a few players that cross-over from the previous series, but it stands on it's own with the same fast-paced action, humor and angstiness that readers are used to.
This was a great opening for a whole new series in the Chicagoland world. Old friends played a part in this book, but it was obviously a journey for the new generation. I'm excited to see what unfolds in the next book.
4.5 stars if I wanna be technical, lol.

I was expecting to just 'like' this book, especially since I hadn't started the Chicagoland Vampires yet, but I loved it!  Reading the other series first could have helped, but there's enough that you can jump right into this one without being lost.

There were very few, very tiny typos, like leaving out a "to" or "it" and there were only 2 or 3 of them, but the book doesn't release until August, so no biggie.

On the other hand, THE BOOK DOESN'T COME OUT UNTIL AUGUST  and now it will be that much of a longer wait for the sequel. In the meantime, I'll just mosey on over to my kindle and start everything else Chloe Neill has written that's been chillaxing on my Kindle for a couple years.

There was nothing outright complicated about the worldbuilding, but the mix of real world politics (like the delegates and peace talks) with Fairy/Vampire/Shifter agendas was fun.

Some of the fairy dialogue was stilted in a way that came off a little corny, but it wasn't a big deal, and didn't detract from the enjoyability of the book for me. There were some problems with pacing in the middle, but if Im being quite honest, it could have because I wanted to skip all of the intrigue and get to the romance! I'm shameless in that way. There was no insta-love, for which I'm eternally grateful, and the hint of what's to come between our two MCs that we got in the last chapter and epilogue? Yes please!

I will say, that the romantic interludes, though brief, were a smidge awkward, but it works because Connor and Elisa are awkwardly trying to maneuver around developing feelings between lifelong frenemies in the middle of all hell breaking loose across the city of Chicago and disaster being wrought between shifters, vampires, fairies, humans, and their respective politics.

The way Connor responded to the secret she's hiding from literally everyone else was also swoon worthy, and double thumbs up for the fact that even though their feelings appear to be drastically changing towards each other, they stay true to their sarcastic and snarky selves.

It's a great blend of PNR and Urban Fantasy, with some great one-liners. My favorite was Lis's internal description about what she suspected was powering Lulu's "car".

All in all, it's refreshingly different from the paranormal romance I usually read. Not drastically, just in little subtle ways that ensure it doesn't feel like every other PNR I've read, and some days I feel like I've read ALL the good ones already.
Wild Hunger is the first book in the Heirs of Chicagoland series.  Having said that, I will say that I felt a little like I was missing some information at the beginning.  For those who have read Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series, you will hit the ground running, but for those of us who are new to the world of Chicagoland, there is a bit to learn.  I felt like I had a fairly good grasp of it by the end, but I was wishing I'd read the 'Vampires' series and had the background on the world going in.
This story centers around Elisa, the first and only child born a vampire, the consequences of the magic that made that happen, and the quest to bring peace among the vampires and ultimately among all supernatural beings.  I detest spoilers in reviews, so I will not give much more detail about the story itself.
I thought the character development was very good, especially considering that a number of the characters have been previously introduced in the 'Vampires series of books.  I was fully invested in them and their stories and very much look forward to the next installment in the 'Heirs' series.
I received this book as an ARC from Net Galley in exchange for my honest review.
Chloe Neill returns to Chicago in a brand new series about Elisa Sullivan - daughter of Ethan (aka Darth Sullivan) and Merit.  It's been over 20 years since Ethan and Merit have cobbled together peace among Chicago's supernatural communities.  Elisa, who has been studying in France, comes back to Chicago with the French delagation in hopes of hammering out a similar situation between the European Houses.  When one of the delegates is murdered and the evidence points to a shifter, Elisa and her best friend Lulu Bell (Mallory and Catcher's daughter) begin investigating.

Elisa is great character, and although she shares traits with both parents, her voice is her own.  It was wonderful to get a glimpse of all the familiar characters from the previous series too.  Readers familiar with Chicagoland Vampires have been anticipating this story since Elisa was first mentioned in a prophetic vision by our favorite Apex werewolf.  New readers will find an engaging heroine who is trying to grow into her own.  Thank you Chloe Neill for a book that was worth the wait!
As a huge fan of the Chicagoland Vampire series I was excited to receive an ARC  of Wild Hunger. Thank you netgalley!  I was not disappointed in this book !!!  I was terribly sad when Chloe Neill announced that she was ending the Chicagoland Vampires series and not to sure about a spin off with the children of Ethan and Merit and Gabriel.  I should of never doubted her, this was a great book.   We got to meet  up with old friends and start a new chapter.  The characters were great and the storyline terrific.  I'm excited to see where we are going with this storyline.   We are back in Chicago but a peaceful Chicago where supps and humans now live in peace thanks in a big part to Ethan and Merit.  We are now working with European countries to help them to achieve the same peace but as always someone does not want this to happen.  Exciting from the beginning to end.  I will definitely be recommending this book.
I loved Wild Hunger!!

A spinoff of Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires, Wild Hunger tells the tale of Elisa Sullivan, the first vampire to ever be born. She is attempting to make a place for herself while hiding a terrifying secret only her childhood nemesis, wolf prince Connor Kenne, knows about. Admist, political and world ending  chaos, Elisa is startled to realize that perhaps there is more  to her relationship with Connor. This is a story about finding one's identity, and fighting for what is right.

I don't usually like books written in first person but I simply couldn't put it down. The characterizations, the romance, the plot, it all made for a fantastic read. Elisa is an amazing heroine. She is strong, loyal, loving and badass.

Wild Hunger can be treated as a stand alone series. However, having read it, I am eager to start the Chicagoland Vampires Series.

I recommend Wild Hunger to all romance lovers, especially those fans of the paranormal romance and young adult genres.

**I received an Advanced Reading Copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**
I am so happy that the Chicagoland Vampires series is continuing on in this new spinoff.  Elisa, the daughter of Merit and Ethan Sullivan of House Cadogan has come home from spending time in France. She is the only known born vampire and as such somewhat of a celebrity. Elisa has travelled with Maison Dumas of France to attend the important vampire peace talks in Chicago. Unfortunately, things don't go well at the opening reception. A shifter friend is in jail for a murder he didn't commit and Elisa must find out what happened.  Connor is the heir to the Central North American Pack of Shape Shifters. He and Elisa played together as children often taunting each other but now their feelings have developed into something else. Lots of action, magic, and a touch of romance make me eagerly await the next book in this series!
Wild Hunger by Chloe Neill is the story of the only child born to vampire parents. Elisa has come home after being gone from her house for years. She’s come home for peace talks between the vampire houses. Little does she know she will have to figure out who killed a vampire. She comes in contact with her friends and one who made her crazy growing up Connor.  She sees him deferentially and starts to have feelings. Meanwhile Connor has saved Elisa on more then one occasion. 5 stars on this awesome book couldn’t put it down. There’s action, adventure,  romance. Many people from the past makes you feel like you are visiting old friends. Can’t wait for more by this awesome author!