Lies

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

I’m kind of tired of all these authors coming out with debut thrillers that are so over done. This book was good, but was it amazing? No not really.
I don't even know where to start with this book. It was suspenseful and somewhat entertaining, but also one of the most preposterous books I've ever read. Long story short, he main character, Joe, has a fight with a guy named Ben after he observes Ben arguing with Joe's wife, and ends up accidentally knocking Ben to the ground. Joe's concerned about it, but since his young son is having an asthma attack and he can't find his inhaler, he goes home with his son, leaving Ben lying on the ground bleeding and unconscious. When he comes back later to make sure Ben is ok, Ben is gone and so is his car - but then he doesn't come home, and before you know it, Ben is a suspect in his disappearance. And that's just the beginning of the book, things get much crazier from there. And if I thought the book was preposterous in the middle, it goes completely insane at the end. Plus, Joe is just the most ridiculously naive character - as the title suggests, there are a lot of lies in his book, and Joe believes every single one! Also, even though the plot is totally different and there isn't an unreliable narrator, something about the whole being framed for murder thing felt a little derivative of Gone Girl for me. But for keeping me reading, I'll give it 2 stars instead of one.
I found it difficult to get through this one...sorry.  Just not my kind of story or maybe my state of mind..
Well written...just not feeling it
Joe Lynch makes an impetuous decision one evening, after his son William spots Mommy’s car in traffic. Joe follows his wife Mel, so they can surprise her. He’s surprised when she pulls into an underground parking lot for a hotel. He and Wills go to the lobby to look for her, but Joe steps in front of his son, so he won’t see Mommy arguing with another man. Joe recognizes him—Ben Delaney, the husband of one of Mel’s oldest friends—but he doesn’t want his son to see the argument. So he takes Wills back to the car and distracts him with his tablet so he can talk to Mel. But Mel is so upset, she doesn’t see him. She just gets in her car and leaves.

And then Joe finds himself face to face with Ben.

There are words. And then there are fists. And then there is blood. A lot of blood. And when William starts to have an asthma attack, Joe panics and leaves to make sure his son will be okay. He gets them home and finds Wills’s inhaler. And then he heads back to the hotel. But Ben and his car are gone. Joe tells himself that Ben must have gotten up and driven home.

Only Ben never shows up at home. And the police start asking him uncomfortable questions. And Joe finds himself in the middle of a really bad situation while his entire life starts to unravel. As he makes his way through the lies and secrets, will he be left with anything at all at the end?

T.M. Logan has written a twisty story where you never quite know what to believe. There are clearly layers of truths somewhere, but sussing them out takes some work. I enjoyed this thriller. There were some aspects of the story that I thought were a little predictable, but it’s well written, and I did really like the characters. I thought it was believable and interesting. It was a fun read, and I recommend it as a solid thriller.

Galleys for Lies were provided by St. Martin’s Press through NetGalley, with many thanks.
"Some days you just have to be satisfied that nothing bad happened"
That's the main character's life philosophy, which is good because Lies is about a really bad day he has that turns into an entire lifestyle change.

This was a quick thrilling read that kept me guessing. I found the character of Joe super believable and I felt for him every time a new twist about his wife and Ben was uncovered. I loved the shorter chapters and the fast pace to the story kept me turning kindle pages into the night. I also really liked how there was a little follow-up three months later that was satisfying to read!
Well plotted twisty domestic suspense with a difference! Tense and gripping ride! Creepy and well plotted
A cat and mouse game to the end. This is a quick read that proved to have many twists and turns along the way. Poor Joe is just trying to live life when every thing suddenly becomes a lie. A lot can be learned about just how much information can be found through tracking devices on a person's electronics. This was a very twisted story with a surprising ending. Recommended!
I expected quite a bit from this. The synopsis was intriguing but the actual story was dull and unbelievable.. I only read about 20% of the book before giving up. It just didn't grab me, I didn't care about the characters.
I received an Advance Readers Copy from NetGalley in exchange for a review. Oh my god, this book is FANTASTIC!!!! It gripped me from page one, and I just kept turning the pages! I had to know what happened next, and When I wasn't reading, I was thinking about reading it! It wastes no time with small chatter and had many turns that you don't see coming! Great writing and a great story!
My first thought after finishing this mediocre book is to ask why the tag line is 'What if your whole life was based on lies?"

Is that the lie? That you expect, after finishing this book, that you find out that Joe's whole life (it's a long life, he's not a teenager) has been filled with lies?

His 'whole life' is not a lie. His marriage is. But his son, and the love he feels for William isn't a lie. His job as a teacher isn't a lie. His parents, his younger years - they are not lies.

So I feel lied to after reading that tag line. Thanks to Negalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
“What if your whole life was based on lies?” This book revolves around an ordinary man named Joe Lynch. He is a happily-married teacher with a son named William. One day, Joe spots his wife, Mel, drive into a parking garage and follows her. He sees her get into an altercation with their friend Ben. That altercation leads to Ben’s disappearance and Joe being framed. Poor Joe is thrown into a whirlwind of events as he fights tooth and nail to prove his innocence. At times, I felt Joe was a bit naïve by not being able to “catch on” to things that were so obvious, but this didn’t take away from the story. The suspense continued throughout the plot and held my attention to the very end. I recommend this book and look forward to reading more from T.M. Logan.
was a gripping thriller that took you to every aspect of trying to figure out what was really going on  and what was going to happen next! This was such an amazing book and I can’t wait to see what else is released from this author!
This was my first read by T.M. Logan. I felt like the book and the story had a lot of potential, but fell a little short. I found parts of the book slow and/or repetitive. I would try another book by this author again.
I struggled with this book. I just couldn't get into it. I even bought the audio book thinking it may help. It didn't, though I thought the narrator was good. Then, I sped it up to get through it faster. That still didn't help. After reading 56%, I just couldn't care less what was going to happen. I was too frustrated by the MC. He seemed so foolish and annoying. The story just seemed to go on and on without really going anywhere. It got to the point where I just didn't want to pick it up anymore.

I can see how other people may enjoy this story depending on their specific likes and dislikes. If you don't mind an MC that seems to do really dumb things, then take a chance on it. Unfortunately, this book was just not for me.
Lies is a psychological thriller that had me feeling the creeps. The poor husband who went through all of this had my sympathies. I thought the plotting was well done, and I was sure surprised at the twist for an ending. Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC.
I enjoyed this book, it was a quick and easy read. Although I did find myself frustrated with the protagonist's thoughts and actions. Joe was very naive to the situation around him and often did not do things that would be common sense to most adults, and proceeded to do other things that were completely illogical, given the situation, which I found maddening at times. Joe, a school teacher, was frequently portrayed as 'just a simple teacher' and not as intelligent as other cunning and savvy businessmen and women in the text, even going so far as verbalizing these ideas multiple times, which I felt was an unfortunate and unnecessary stereotype to play into.
This book kept me on my feet! It was fast paced and I wanted to keep reading the whole time. I really liked Joe's character and felt like I was cheering him on throughout the book. It was interesting that the author brought in social media to make the story even more complex. I'd highly recommend this book :)
I wanted to love this book, I really did. The description and plot line were amazing. However, with all of the new psychological thrillers for 2018, if the book didn't completely knock it out of the park then it was just kind of a dud.  It also seemed like 2018 was the year of 'Lies'. Which again, made books that would have typically been great just kind of blah. This was one of those for me. The main character was so naive and trusting, I really just wanted to shake him and tell him to wake up. It is kind of like in a scary movie where you are yelling at your tv telling the character to not do this or not do that. I just really wanted more from this book since it had so much hype.
A suspenseful story with so many twist and turns you can't put the book down.  Joe is the father and husband.  His life seems perfect until it all changes.  His son points out mommy's car and from there everything changes and his life won't ever be the same.  Be ready for twist and turns you don't see coming.
Wow! What a plot twist. Definitely unexpected. I love a good mystery that I can’t figure out! This one kept me guessing right up til the end!