A Danger to Herself and Others

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Feb 2019

Interesting look at mental illness from the point of view of an evolving patient.It is clear from the beginning that the narrator is unreliable, but the journey she takes might be a surprise.
To be honest the whole "You can't trust your narrator" - trope gets a bit boring for me. Back when I started Gillian Flynns Books it was something new and impressing. Even "Girl on the train" had something surprising for me and I think the idea of "A Danger for Herself and Others" is a great one, but I wasn't really interested.

I was torn between having pity with Hannah and knowing she lies all the time and isn't in custody for nothing. The reader just KNEW from the beginning on that the narrator was lying, and I think that's what destroyed it a bit for me. That I thought from the beginning on, that Hannah is a liar. Still the book had some surprised, some twists and turns and even some deeper pits of humankind, but in the end it wasn't exciting enough for me, sadly.
I was pleasently surprised with this book. The characters in it were well rounded and I was able to stay hooked.
Anyone who knows me well, they know I’m very particular in how I read. Quiet, no distractions, laying in bed. Not with A Danger to Herself and Others!

Oh, no. I was reading this everywhere I got the chance, even while fixing dinner! I finished it in one day, which is something that rarely happens for me.

It was that good!

We have Hannah as an unreliable narrator. We have Lucy who has her own story to tell. Everything in between is a nail biting rollercoaster of drama and finding oneself.

What I can say is we follow Hannah’s experience of being institutionalized for a misunderstanding that happened at a summer retreat. Hannah fights for her innocence in a hospital that she doesn’t belong in, with little interaction.

There’s a lot about this book that I can’t even talk about because of spoilers, and that makes it hard to write a proper review. Just know you’ll find yourself on the edge of your seat, discovering things you didn’t expect, and a complete “what the . . .” when you finish.
This had such potential! I was so intrigued by this. Just the title alone hooked me in. Unfortunately, it was not for me. I wanted to stop reading this so many times, but also really wanted to get through it. I just really didn't enjoy this at all.
I would rate this book 2.5 out of 5 stars

I really struggled to understand the point of this novel. On the surface it appears to be a mystery novel, but they story is incredibly predictable. On another level it appears to be a mental health novel but the author herself acknowledges the mental health facility is not accurately represented. In addition, the reader is never told specifically what mental illness the character is dealing with so it is unclear exactly what the author is attempting to represent.

The book was fairly enjoyable but it didn't quite gel with me.
Unreliable narrator of the best kind because Hannah actually convinced me half the time that everyone else is wrong and she is telling the truth.
This books got a lot of elements that I love in my thrillers. It was a quick and easy read but a bit predictable.
The story was interesting, but honestly quite predictable. It was hard to be sympathetic of Hannah because she was very self-involved and didn't show any remorse for what she thought had happened.
I love thrillers and anything that Includes mental health subjects as well. This was a quick and pretty easy read for me.

*Thank you to the author and Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review*
A quick but fascinating read about a young woman with a psychiatric illness. Although the author is clear that this book is not intended to educate the reader, it still gives an insight into just how real hallucinations can be. The main character is an interesting one as she's not particularly likeable and is sometimes narcissistic. However, once you gain a greater insight into her childhood you start you realise the reasons behind some of her behaviours. I loved that the book does not have a clean cut ending. Highly recommended for book groups.
For some reason I had trouble downloading this book-sorry for the lack of feedback! I'm not sure what happened.
It took me only two days to get through this book, it sucked me into the plot so throughly that I just couldn’t wait to see how it ended up. There’s a huge atmosphere of “the other show is about to drop,” and boy does it.

The narrator of this novel is Hannah, who we meet as she begins her stay at an institution, labeled “a danger to herself and others.” All we know is that she was attending a summer intensive academic program in California when something happened to her roommate. And now she’s institutionalized. Soon, she gets a roommate, who begins to show her the ropes of the place, which helps Hannah get a clearer picture of what she needs to do to get out, but also leads her to remember things. And not everything she remembers s good.

That’s such a creepy set-up, and you could cut the anxiety and tension with a knife. I really, really wasn’t sure what was going to happen and I just HAD to know. And when it’s revealed....ooooh boy. It’s really great because it’s ambiguous, which I don’t normally like, but is true to this story. With the whole book having this edge of “is Hannah crazy or not?” It wouldn’t make sense to have everything all neatly wrapped up.

I don’t really want to give away too many spoilers, so I need to be kind of vague here, but this book really makes you think about mental illness and how the mind works. So much of the book is about what’s going on in Hannah’s mind, so it kind of makes you think about your own mind and things around you. It will make you shudder.

If you’re looking for high-action, this book isn’t for you. But if you’re looking for a great tense, mind-bending thriller full of suspense, I suggest going out and getting this one. This book is incredibly atmospheric and creepy and I loved it. I would absolutely read more from this author - I look forward to it, in fact!
Five stars and I would have given ten if it would be possible. I really loved this book and couldn't stop reading. Since reading it I have urged all my friends and colleagues to read it, it was that good. So, I highly recommend this amazing book to everyone.
I received this as an arc from netgalley for an honest review. I have to say when I saw the mixed reviews for this one I felt as though I would be one of the people who didn't enjoy this story but I'm happy to say I actually did. The main character was frustrating at times but she was different from anything else I've read which Is why I felt as though it was so enticing and interesting through out the novel. 4/5 stars I highly recommend.
This books synopsis had me hooked and wanting to read this novel. A young teenager Hannah finds herself institutionalized as she is considered a danger to herself and others. Hannah is sure that as soon as her doctors and judge find out she isn’t actually a danger to herself and others that they will let her go and live her life, returning to graduate high school. However, Hannah isn’t released as soon as she has initially expected, and finds herself bored with the day in and day out same routine she finds herself in. She is enclosed in the same room most days and is determined to get extra privileges for good behaviour.

Hannah is adamant that she is not responsible for hurting her good friend Agnes at summer school. She insists that what happened was an accident and she loves her friend Agnes, she would never hurt her. Or would she?

We get a glimpse into the daily life and thoughts of young Hannah as she is completely bored within the same 4 walls of this institution. It was interesting to see things as Hannah sees them and get a glimpse into her thoughts and views on things. Hannah is a troubled young girl who is going through some mental health issues and I found it quite an interesting read.
This book was kind of like a race for me. A race to determine what was a reality and what wasn't. I don't know if you've ever read the War and Peace Series by K. Webster, but I don't trust crazy girls named Hannah.

Hannah is a smart and privileged girl from New York City. Attending a summer school in California at her father's request isn't so bad. She's got a new best friend in her roommate Agnes and a cute boy she hopes to make hers, but then everything goes horribly wrong.

Now she's stuck in what may as well be a cell. Eating room temperature meals and wearing clothing that isn't any thicker than a piece of paper. All because of a stupid game of Truth or Dare. A game that Agnes told her they were too old to play anyways. But Agnes can't have much of an opinion anymore. Not with her being in a coma.

Hannah tries to fast track her progress so that she can get back to school. Getting back to school is essential in reaching the goals that she has set not only for herself but also to please her parents.

This is an emotional journey that sees Hannah through denial and finally to accepting what has happened, to accepting the new normal that is about to become her life and what it will mean for the future that she holds so dear.
Our protagonist is being framed for her best friend's death(?!) Suicide (?!) .

A danger to herself and others is the medical condition and one line for our protagonist who resides in the asylum for her bff death.

Alyssa has managed to bring the plot and the writing beautifully and just took the ending like a fast flight. It doesn't make any sense.

The book is overall good but the ending makes no sense and spoils the book.

Thanks Netgalley and the publisher for granting me the opportunity to read and review this ARC
This story is based around an event that takes place in a summer camp.  The main character is attending the camp, enjoying herself and getting along with others.  An accident happens.  Or was it an accident?  As the story progresses, the reader must follow the girl's logic to see what really happened.  A young woman is confined to a mental institution until she can demonstrate she is not a danger to herself and others.  An unusual story line with a very believable set of characters.
This was a quite unique book, with some serious themes and a little bit of suspense, I like it a lot and I recommend it to the ones who are fond of this genre and kind of story!