American Prison

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jul 2019

This book was on of the most eye opening I’ve ever read, it taught me so incredibly much about a topic that I knew was bad, but I now for absolute shame for my naivety on how bad it really is. I have told just about everyone that I have come across since reading it that they must get their hands on a copy and then we all must figure out a way to right these wrongs. It was brilliant journalistic work, I’m in awe at the sacrifice. I don’t know that I can honestly say I would have been able to do the same. My heart will never be the same as it once was knowing what I know now, but it’s for the better. Now I can act. For us as a society to sit on that kind of information, not only that our prison system is mostly run for profit but how incredibly racist and inhumane they are, for us to not act on that sort of information is sinful to the highest degree. This story is the telling of an injustice system, a modern day form of slavery.
A wonderful expose of for-profit prison operations and history.  This should be required reading for everyone and a call to arms against for-profit prison operations.  I applaud the author for his unique approach and the toll this must have took.
American Prison is not an easy read but it is an essential read.  Earlier, I  had read Shane Bauer's essay about his undercover reporting of prisons in Mother Jones and knew I had to read this book.  Too often, we don't pay attention to the fact that as voters and citizens we do have a voice in prison reform.  We watch shows like Orange is the New Black, laugh uncomfortably, then don't do anything after watching the episode where the inmates believe they are finally being released from prison, which they technically are, but instead they are driven to an immigration center prison.  Much to think about while reading this book.
Really interesting topic, but didn't grab me enough to keep reading. I did buy it for the library since I think we need to know about these for-profit outfits.