You'd Be Mine

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Apr 2019

This book grabs your heart strings from page one. You mourne, you laugh and you cry within this book.
I received this as an arc from netgalley for an honest review. I have to say this book blew me away. I felt as though Annies character was very well written and so relatable at times. It was a warm contemporary that kept a smile on my face. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this one. I highly recommend checking it out. 4.75/5 stars.
Hi, friends!

Today we’re doing a review that’s part of a blog tour, but don’t let that fool you – I haven’t had this much fun in a bookish blog tour in ages. That being said, this is an unbiased review, but let’s just say I didn’t regret going out of my way to be able to read this book whichever way I could – I was pretty damn blessed to get this before publishing. Okay, okay, I hear you- let’s get started with the damn thing.

First off, can we talk about that cover? Those colors, and that picture? One of the only time I don’t absolutely despise having a person on the cover (and paradoxically end up loving it). I’ll have to give it to marketing, or whoever made that decision, it was a great one!

Alright, let’s move to the actual content now – one thing I need to say right off the bat is that the length was absolutely perfect for how the plot was developed – moreover, the plot has just the perfect amount of twists and turns. The story didn’t ever get boring, and it read really easily.

Don’t worry if you’re not a country music fan, either. I’m sure not one to know more than who Dolly Parton is, and that’s solely because of Miley Cyrus’ cover of Jolene (don’t ask, lol). You’d be Mine doesn’t overdo the country-music-specific details, and from what I could tell from the Goodreads reviews, it doesn’t underdo it, either – I can’t personally vouch for that, though, since I don’t really know much about it.

Another thing I really loved about the book was the way it played around with cliches and tropes – the writing and characters were very self aware of all the cliches they were falling into, and that helped paradoxically make them seem less cliche… This probably makes no sense, but you’ll understand what I mean when you read the book!

One thing I didn’t like a lot was that the characters occasionally came off as too childish, or just generally too angsty-teenager-y. Yes, I do know both the MC and the love interest have gone through some very serious stuff (speaking off, important trigger warnings in this book are suicide & alcohol and drug abuse), but at times their characters felt a little… off.

Romance-wise, I actually have no complaints for once. Once again perfectly balanced (as all things should be) we actually got to see character development, intrigue, friendship, and love interests that have more besides each other going on in their lives. 11/10 on that one from me!

So, what’s the rating? For once, my GR one and my blog one will match!! I’m giving this beauty a solid 4 stars! Erin Hahn is definitely an author to look out for in the future.
Clay is every bad boy musician that we have fallen in love with since the beginning of our musical journey. He's gorgeous and he can sing and he has that kind of swagger that makes you giggle non-stop. Annie is the child of country music superstars, the kind of humble girl that you can picture as a kind of country Sleeping Beauty, complete with twittering birds and lovesick deer following her. If Clay wants to keep his contract, he'll tour with Annie. If Annie wants to make it big in this business, she'll tour with Clay. Neither of them expect to actually enjoy their summer, much less fall in love with each other.

But like a country song, their path to romance is not a smooth one, and Annie and Clay learn that there is much more to the other than meets the eye.

This book is summer. Like, sunshine and music and dancing with your friends in a field and wearing cute dresses and being all sweaty in the best way. Clay and Annie made me want to go outside, and I never want to go outside, and they made me want to listen to country music, and that has happened since the mid 90s. Erin Hahn created a story that made me bury my face in my hoodie and scream from the cuteness and the stupid boy and the brilliant girl.

Long story short? I loved You'd Be Mine.

No spoilers, but I loved the ending. I love that certain people got what they deserved and that it wasn't some kind of redeeming storyline. I love that Annie was her own woman and that she knew she would have to make it on her own, even while being Clay's opening band. I love Annie's friends and bandmates, Kacey and Jason, and how the three of them are not only a band, but a tight-knit and well-oiled family. I love Clay and his will to survive. I love his bandmate Fitz and his manager Trina and the people that he surrounds himself with. I love that he wakes up one day and realizes he's an ass and that he needs to work things out before he can be Clay Coolidge.

I love, I love, I love. I love this freaking book.

Needless to say, the writing is beautiful and lyrical, and the characters are all fully realized with their own voices and needs and wants and flaws. Erin Hahn has a way of evoking an entire season with just a paragraph. Like I said, this book is summer, and Erin Hahn's writing is the reason why. You can smell the freshly cut grass, hear the crickets and ocean, feel the balmy nights where anything could happen.

She's also a delight on Twitter, so if you need some smiles over at that god awful website, give her a follow.

Spring is in the air, I know, but You'd Be Mine will have you wishing for warm days and swimsuits and new romances {or, at least, those sweet memories of them}. Grab this book and read it. Then read it again and again. Never stop. We all deserve a bit of happiness right now.
Erin Hahn had me hooked from the first page. With country music, a whole lot of courage at overcoming personal struggles, and some serious chemistry Hahn weaves a plotline that has you rooting not only for the romance, but for each character's individual grown and success. AMAZING imagery and a moving tale.

I would highly recommend to all firmly rooted in the YA realm of things... in terms of age and content.
I now have a new obsession and that obsession is You’d Be Mine by Erin Hahn. What a heck of a debut novel! This book has all my favorite things. You’d Be Mine has country music, solid friendships, travel on the road, personal issues, and main character chemistry. So, you know, all the requirements for a perfect pool read.

Hahn’s debut is told in alternating chapters between Clay and Annie. Clay has been famous for about a year and sings frat boy country. Unfortunately, his reputation has him in trouble with his record company and so he has to go on tour with Annie Mathers. Annie is essentially the product of country music royalty. Both of her parents were famous stars. Unfortunately, they died and so Annie will make her debut without them in the wings. But, she can more than get by on her own talent and her squeaky clean image. Anyways, Clay and Annie’s band Under The Willows hit the road together for a summer tour.

Okay, so I really did love basically everything about You’d Be Mine. It is such a fast read, like it took me three weekdays to get through which is no time at all when you factor in work and home obligations. I feel very hard for both Annie and Clay. They’re good kids who have interesting pasts and well, futures. Both have different vulnerabilities that made them interesting. There were parts whereI definitely teared up, but that’s also probably because I am overemotional as a reader?

Regardless, if you want a book that is THE perfect summer read, you’ll need to get your hands on Hahn’s You’d Be Mine. Like, while reading this I kept wishing the songs were real and I had some kind of Spotify soundtrack to listen. I can’t wait to see what’s next from Hahn and am glad there’s a new contemporary author to add to my favorites list.
I was so excited to read this book because it had been receiving such incredible praise and I was super intrigued about the premise, and since I’m a sucker for anything that had to do with music bands or anything related to music making I decided to give it a go, and though there were some things that I enjoyed about it, I overall was expecting much more from it and ended up a bit disappointed with it.

It was a very fast paced story and it didn’t take me long to finish, which is something I always appreciate in contemporaries, and it had a hate-to-love romance that was so angsty and it was actually really well written and it progressed in a realistic way throughout the story. I enjoyed the interactions between these two characters and basically how smoothly done that evolution was, like I said before.

However, I hated the male protagonist. It’s true he did have some type of development as the story continued, but I just didn’t like him at all. He was such an asshole with the female character and so prejudiced and even though he had a redeemable scene, I couldn’t see past his toxicity. There were times where I found the romance so problematic and toxic, and I just wasn’t the biggest fan of that.

Still, I enjoyed how focused this book was on music, and how important it was for the two main characters. It was present throughout the entire story, and basically I really enjoyed how real those feelings and scenes were.
TL/DR: I just ordered a physical copy of this because I want it on my bookshelf - for rereading/forcing anyone that visits me during the summer months when I'm pool side reading (AKA a prime book to shove in their face to prevent them from talking to me when I'm in the zone).
I was honestly surprised with how much I adored this book.  Typically, YA Romances are too over the top for me, so I can't move beyond my mental "You're just a child! What do you know about love?!" mentality.  This book?  While I still maintained my elder status (because, well... I was born middle aged and keep getting older at an exponential rate), I just felt so warm and fuzzy as I read.  It was sweet, cute, and more than I could have hoped for.  I found it to be a quick read (less than 2 days) and can't wait to read Erin Hahn's future publications!
I loved this book. It was a fast read. I didn't even realize that it was a teen book until I started reading it. I love the story and how everything works out in the end. I wouldn't even mind a sequel!
I'm not usually a fan of the rockstar storyline in books but the writing and plot of YOU'D BE MINE was definitely entertaining. This book was definitely way more than I expected it. It's swoony, has a lot of music and lots of feelings. The characters are likeable and they were charming. The writing is great and definitely won me over. YOU’D BE MINE is a sweet and charming novel, I definitely recommend it!
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

This was a book that I hadn't initially heard much about, but will admit that the gorgeous cover is one of the main reasons I sent in the NetGalley request, and I'm really glad I did, as You'd Be Mine was such a quick and enjoyable read, especially considering I read this in November, when the weather wasn't the best, and was looking for a book somewhat similar to A Star is Born.

In You'd Be Mine, Annie, who's parents had both been country music stars, is America's Sweetheart, but just because she comes from such a musical family, doesn't mean everything is handed to her on a platter. She has to work for her career, and it's a good thing she loves singing and performing. However, she knows exactly what that lifestyle can do to a person, and she needs to do anything to avoid making the same mistakes her parents did. Clay, on the other hand, is not a sweetheart, but rather a bad boy, who's fallen to the vices that can plague stars, and he seriously needs to clean up his act. When the record label decides that their two biggest acts - Annie and Clay - should perform and tour together, it's as if its a train wreck waiting to happen, but instead, magic and chemistry could save the day.

I really liked both characters, Annie more than Clay, and enjoyed how they were complex people, with difficult backstories that we began to see as they grow closer to each other. From the off, there is chemistry between the two, and they both try to fight it, for different reasons, but it's just too much and, honestly, they're better people together. Facing their difficult pasts, and knowing that the other person understands the pressure they're under, allows each character to grow, and they are really realistic in the way they face each issue.

Now, country music has never really been a big genre for me - I don't know if it's just because it doesn't exactly have a huge following here in the UK - but I did like the way the music was fully integrated into the plot, and it felt natural to be reading the lyrics on the page. I'm definitely glad I requested this book, and am looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
I don’t know if it was the way in which I read this book or the book itself, but I was left feeling kind of meh.

Clay Coolidge is a young country music star with a drinking problem. His label tells him he needs to get Annie Mathers, daughter of country star legends, to open for his summer tour in order to help his reputation. Of course, Clay is gorgeous, so Annie, against her best intentions, ends up falling for Clay.

Starting with what I liked about this story is that it is more than what it seems. In addition to being a country star and rising country star, they have pretty serious backstories. And while they were serious, I feel like Hahn did a really great job with them. I never felt like “OMG even more terrible things happened to these people?” It was realistic and well fleshed out. I also felt like their story/character building was very well done because I truly felt like I got to know Annie and Clay. It could’ve been irritating, but it wasn’t.

On the other hand, some of the secondary characters fell by the wayside. Felix, Clay’s best friend and bandmate was pretty well built, but I still feel like I barely know Annie’s bandmates Kacey and Jason.

Just for a bit of explanation, I started reading this book on the Kindle app on my phone a while before I marked it as read on Goodreads. It was one of those books that I was reading simultaneously without ever really committing to fully focusing on it until more recently. I liked having a book on my phone that if I was out without a book I had something to read. So, I don’t know if it’s because I didn’t give this book my full attention from the beginning or what, but I just felt like even though I knew the characters, I didn’t connect with them.

I never felt like I wanted this book to be my main focus and I almost felt like I could’ve left this book without finishing it. I didn’t feel the connection between Annie and Clay so I never got behind their romance. Again, I wasn’t quite sure if this was me or the writing, but after reading a Christina Lauren book in which I immediately got sucked into and involved in the characters’ relationship, I’m thinking it’s the writing.

This is Hahn’s debut and I do think there are a lot of strengths in this book, but overall missed the mark for me. I liked the writing style and found it to be a fun book, but the emotion behind the romance was lacking a little bit. I’m hopeful that Hahn will have stronger books in the future because I can see the potential! If you are very into country music YA, I would still say check this out. Maybe it was just me. Otherwise, I would give this book a pass.
3.5-4 Stars

A somewhat angsty, compelling romance perfect for young adult readers who want more mature circumstances. I read this in a couple sittings since I became instantly drawn toward the characters and their world. This is a musical romance with lyrics included, so a few moments were corny for me, as is the case when I have to read saccharine verses. Nevertheless, I became invested in the characters' story and wanted to know how it would unfold.

Overall, this was an entertaining and touching read for me and I do recommend it.
I enjoy country music a lot and I’m a big fan of Faith Hill, Rascall Flatts, Lady Antebellum so when I saw this YA Contemporary story centered on country music, I was quite intrigued. I’ve read YA stories featuring rock stars but this is my first time reading a YA story centering on country music.

Clay was your typical bad boy, dragging a painful past behind him, hell-bent on a path of self-destruction. One of his latest transgressions led him into meeting Annie, a seemingly good girl. Their paths collided and only time would tell whether they’d complement each other or destroy one another.

Annie was the daughter of a famous singer and she grew up in the limelight. She got out and tried a different path but the lure of music was too hard to resist. When Clay came to convince her to come back and sing, she already wanted to and so started their tour together.

They both had their pasts and issues to work through. This story emphasized the beauty of music, the art of it, how it affected people. But also showed the darker side of the music world—the stress and pressure, the depression and the temptation to take the easy way.

I appreciated that the author showed the gritty side of the show business but there was a certain depth lacking in the words that would have given the story more impact. The writing style made the issues feel less dark instead of intensifying the impact.

That said, “You’d Be Mine” was a pretty good story, dealing with serious issues that impact teens and musicians. Also, throughout the book, one part of my mind kept trying to work out the significance of the title before I finally got it.
I received an Advanced Review Copy of You'd Be Mine by Erin Hahn from the publisher St. Martin's Press through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

What It’s About: This is a cute young adult book, about two teenage country music stars, Clay and Annie. Both of these characters have faced tragedy and are deeply impacted by these tragedies: Clay is spiraling out of control with drinking and partying, while Annie works hard to avoid this problem by being the typical good girl. This is the story of their summer on tour.

What I Loved: This book is cute and the characters are likeable enough. I kind of liked the setting of the world of country music and being on tour, it was a fun to read and a nice distraction.

What I didn’t like so much: This w book was a bit cheesy and over-dramatic at times. I felt like the book got a bit preachy and it annoyed me but overall I just took it as a fun book set in the world of country music.

Who Should Read It: People who like YA and country music and don't mind a bit of cheese.

General Summary:  A cute romance set in the world of country music.
I read this a while ago and rated it 4 stars on Goodreads.  I always love a good romance and add a bit of country music and I will fall in love.  This story falls in line with my favorite Miranda Kennelly novels and Erin Hahn is now an author I will be on the lookout for in the future.  Have already shared this title with a few students!
This was a great book! It reminded me of one of my favorite movies country strong. I love the storyline of two country singers and their different styles and careers it was sweet but not overly mushy just the way I like my romance I loved the sort of enemies to lovers romance between Annie and Clay and the behind the stage look into characters in the music career this book was a fun fast read that I feel for instantly and I already miss the characters!
I thought this book was so cute. They took real life issues like loss and alcoholism, mix it with love and music and it was definitely a book I fell in love with. I love the characters and wonder what the future holds for them. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Hahn.
Clay Coolidge and Annie Mathers are country singers. Clay is kind of a bad boy and the only way his record label has agreed to keep him on, is if Annie agrees to go on tour with him for the summer. Annie is a great singer, but her parents were in the business and she's not sure if she wants to follow in their footsteps. But when Clay shows up on her doorstep, she feels like she has no choice but to join him. Being on tour the two learn things about each other, they don't like to share with the world. Will this tour help them to find the healing they are both needing, or will it just make things worse.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read and review this book.

You'd Be Mine is a cute love story about two very young country singers. Annie is the daughter of a famous country couple who died. She doesn't want to be compared to her mother at all, which is why she has chosen to stay out of the spotlight for so long. Clay has his own demons in his closet and is a bad boy in the business. The fans swoon over his songs and his gorgeousness, but they don't know the person behind the music. Annie sees Clay and that scares him.

This is the first book I've read by Erin Hahn, and I look forward to reading more of her books. This one was cute. Since most of the characters in this book were under 21, I don't know if I would categorize this as a YA book. The underlying subject matter deals with drug overdose, suicide, and death through war.
Not the light fluffy romance I expected it to be. The characters have some real emotional depth and demons of their own which made for a really good read.
I enjoyed the tour/music industry aspect of this book as an avid music fan of all genres I loved that insight.
I did feel like the plot slowed down a little in the middle and I found myself wanting it to move along a little faster.
I did however enjoy this book over all and found the end to be a bit of tear jerker.