Night and Silence

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

Sir October Daye is a knight of the realm and a bonafide hero in Faerie. But when her former boyfriend and his wife arrive at her doorstep and want to know if she has kidnapped Gillian, her human daughter, Toby goes ballistic. She soon figures out her primary nemesis, the former False Queen in the Mists, has been rescued from her 100-year slumber by Dugan Harrow, an evil Fae, who wants Toby to return the False Queen to the throne as well as restore her Siren blood, which Toby had stripped from her previously. As Toby investigates, it becomes clear that someone is out to get her and kidnapping Gillian was only a step along the way. More and more machinations come to light and Gillian ends up dead, or is she? This is one of the best series in the fantasy genre. McGuire's writing is consistently good and her plots are well-executed. Recommended, always.
I must admit this is my first book that I have read in the October Day series. It’s book 12 and now I must read the rest. October’s daughter is missing and she has to find her. She may not want anything to do with her but she will do anything for her daughter. Nothing like a love of a mother towards her daughter. I even loved the novella afterwards that is from her daughters perspective. 4 stars. Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to review this!
Night and Silence is the twelfth book of the October Daye series and it’s a doozy.  This series’ by Seanan McGuire joins a handful of others in being one of the best series in the urban fantasy sub-genre.  It’s a series that offers consistent and engaging adventures in which readers can immerse.  Night and Silence picks up soon after the previous installment ends and gives readers a chance to witness the fallout of the torture/trauma of The Brightest Fell.  As relationships stagger beneath the weight of this stress we see Toby and company face an unanticipated hurdle.  A recovering Tybalt is sadly absent as the book embarks when Toby discovers her entirely mortal child Gillian has been kidnapped.  Series’ fans will be interested to get another glimpse of Toby’s long-lost sister and to learn more about the human family Toby left behind.  While this book lays the groundwork for Gillian to grow as a more three-dimensional character in future and it resolves with Toby’s gang (including Tybalt) back in action it is not ever going to be my favorite of the series’.  However, I do look forward to seeing how the events of Night and Silence will influence the next chapter in the adventures of October Daye.
For those who have missed the eighty billion memos I’ve sent out to the internet about how fucking fantastic the October Daye series is, HI IT IS FUCKING FANTASTIC AND YOU SHOULD READ IT ASAP. McGuire’s one of my favorite authors. I’ve hated some of her stuff and been bored by others, but when she writes books that are up my alley (character-driven and bantery), they are absolute gold. She’s just so incredibly, ludicrously talented at all parts of writing: plotting, prose, characterization, world building, twists, tension, and literally any other word you can put here.

Night and Silence is not my favorite of the October Daye series, it but it’s a strong installment. Pretty much every single book after five is pretty close to flawless, and the favorites come down more to my personal taste rather than those books necessarily being less good than the other ones.

Speaking of personal preferences, the opening of Night and Silence is absolutely soul crushing. It’s honestly so sad that I had to take mental breaks before coming back to the book. Seanan McGuire is so good at constantly increasing the tension of the series, but sometimes it’s more through character arc than through the plot of the moment. This one’s very much centered on Tybalt’s emotional development, and it was very hard for me to take early on.

In Once Broken Faith, Tybalt was kidnapped and caged for quite a long time in his cat form. His release, however, did not make everything okay again. He’s freaked out by his cat form now and uncomfortable around Toby, who reminds him of the whole experience which honestly makes me want to sob a lot. Sometimes I have a love/hate relationship with how good Seanan McGuire is at writing because then she hurts me. Basically, though these characters can heal from most things at this point, McGuire does not forget about the emotional toll of the constant huge, scary shit October’s crew faces.

At the beginning of the book, Tybalt’s basically MIA. He and Toby aren’t fighting, mostly because he won’t really talk to her at all. She’s trying to focus on work, but she’s clearly hurting really badly, and literally everyone is super worried about both of them and, like, honestly I’m feeling a bit verklempt just recapping this. McGuire, you cruel genius. It’s a tough book to read in some ways, but I do love that this book is all about beginning the road to recovery, recognizing that it won’t be instant and that it will require trusting your friends and loved ones and being brave enough to ask for help.

The plot deals with October’s daughter, Gillian, who has been living her human life and not talking to October, at the behest of herself and her parents. She’s been kidnapped (again), and October’s on the case. Gillian plot lines have literally never been my favorite. I find her rather boring thus far tbh, and I am crawling through the subsequent novella from her point of view. Maybe in the future, she’ll be in the books more and I’ll learn to love her, but so far she’s basically been this huge brat to October who loves her so damn much. And obviously I love October so damn much, so I find Gillian’s attitude irritating.

In the scope of the series as a whole, it’s definitely a more laidback installment. The stakes are high but they’re not HIGHEST. If you’re here more for plot than emotional development, this may not be your favorite either. Though more minimal, the plot that there is does hang together amazingly well, despite being really surprising. Honestly, it makes me want to go back and reread some stuff because there are a couple of key elements I clearly do not remember well enough.

To conclude, GO READ OCTOBER DAYE. HOW MANY TIMES MUST I YELL AT YOU?
I love Seanan McGuire's writing. She brings the words to life. It is like I am actually there, and sharing in the adventure with them. Toby's relationship has been strained after what her mother, Amandine, did to Tybalt. She hasn't seen him in a while, for he has withdrawn to the Court of Cats. Now just as we think she has a chance catch her breath and process everything that has happened, her ex-husband is at her door telling her that her daughter Gillian is missing from College.  I swear, Toby cannot catch a break. It is like she is a magnet for trouble. This was a great book to read, and cannot wait to read the next installment. I give Night and Silence (October Daye) 5/5 stars.
Seanan McGuire immerses us in another October "Toby" Daye adventure with Night and Silence.  Her beloved king of cats Tybalt is still suffering from his confinement by her fae mother Amandine, first born of Oberon, king of the fae.  Toby's human daughter Gillian is abducted and Toby and her friends are targeted as she follows the trail of the kidnappers.  This is followed by a novella, Suffer a Sea Change which follows Gillian as she adapts to becoming fae again, only as a selkie.  Fascinating errantry.
I'm kicking myself for starting the series so late in the game. That said, this was an exceptional book. Engaging, fast paced, and had me on the edge of my seat for almost the entire ride. I think the characters were well-developed and the story line was unique. I'm planning tog o back and start at book 1. I think I would have been more invested in the story and characters had i not started here but the book was captivating enough that the few moments I felt lost weren't too big of a deal. A great read for any fans of dark urban fantasy.
I need to stop thinking that after so many books I know this series and world so well that nothing can surprise me because this book's revelations surprised the hell out of me. With Tybalt, Jazz, and Sylvester still reeling from the previous book Toby is more alone than she's been in a long time. Someone takes advantage of that by kidnapping Gillian, her human daughther, and Gillian's father and his wife blame Toby. In searching for Gillian Toby is steered toward long-hidden secrets that have the power to change nearly everything.

I swear, these books get better and better as the series goes on. It has been a pleasure to watch Toby and everyone else change and mature in response to what happens to and around them. Because of that each book feels fresh. #NightAndSilence #NetGalley
The twelfth book in the Toby Daye series, and shit still manages to get even more serious/game changing, which I continue to be impressed at. The reminders of shit that happened in past books are the least awkward they can be given the nature of the beast. I’m interested in seeing how the new status quo effects the upcoming books, and continue to be surprised at how Seanan works Tam Lin into this. Additionally, the fact that she now gets to add a novella onto the end of the book expanding on things that happen either just outside of the novel's focus, or off screen, is a real value add. Comes out in September, if you’ve been following the series, definitely pick it up.
It seems unfair that while most long-running urban fantasy series stumble and fall into repetitive mediocrity, Seanan McGuire's October Daye continues to thrill and grow with each new installment. NIGHT AND SILENCE is another worthwhile addition to any McGuire fan's collection, and I'll happily continue on my quest to press copies of this series into the hands of everyone I know.
The October Daye series is still one of my all time favorites, and this installment was one of the best yet. The plot line continues to develop and keep me guessing, all while have both funny and smart dialogue. McGuire really knows how to write complex characters, and Toby in particular seems to develop exponentially with each book. Even though the kidnapping in this book was similar to an earlier installment, Toby really handles things completely differently. This just shows the genius of McGuire's imagination.
In the aftermath of Amandine's betrayal, Toby and her fragile found family have fallen apart. She does what she does best: continues to play Faerie's knight errant and ignore the tangled knot of feelings she feels unable to unravel. That never really works for long, and this time it's because her human daughter Gillian was abducted. There are signs of Fae involvement everywhere, and so few fae actually remembered that she actually had a daughter. This means it's part of a larger conspiracy, and it's a race to find Gillian before she pays with her life.

Night and Silence is the twelfth book in the October Daye series. As always, threads the reader may not have realized were left dangling in prior books are picked up and woven into something else new and dangerous for Toby and her friends to deal with. We see more of Faerie's denizens here, and the Changeling community that was left in ruins. The breaks in Toby and the others after the fallout of the last novel are evident, especially in the beginning of the novel. She has to work through them in order to piece together the reasons for Gillian's abduction; Toby feels less like a private detective and more of a woman that stumbles across a path laid for her by those more devious and vicious than she deserves to have to deal with. Her specialty is blood magic, and poor Toby has to spill quite a bit of her own over the course of the journey she takes to find Gillian.

There's a small afterward that does deal with Gillian's point of view, which is rather important to me given that the series is told from Toby's perspective. She was something of a cipher and holy grail of sorts in earlier novels, but now Gillian is in college and trying to forge a path for herself. The events in this book, particularly those at the end, throws everything into upheaval. I'm sure that she will play an important role in future novels, so I really wanted to see her state of mind and how she would cope with everything. The Daye family seems to be cursed with dramatic events, after all, and I know Toby will soldier on. It's a new experience for Gillian.

There are even more family secrets revealed and unraveled in this novel, something I didn't think was even possible after all of the other revelations that had occurred in earlier novels in the series. This poor woman has gone through so much; some of the highlights are mentioned in this so that newer readers can dive in and keep up. A number of the shocking revelations of prior novels are dealt with as no big deal here, so going backward would lose its punch a bit. It would still be a surprise in how it's revealed, so it's still worth it to go back and re-experience the series from the start. These aren't nursery rhyme fairy tales, but stories of the bloody and terrible cost that magic can exert on those that would wield its power. Those are the best kind, in my opinion, because we can really see the reflection of our world through theirs, and how we can learn from their mistakes.
I loved this book, as I do all Seanan McGuire's books.  I thought it was incredibly realistic how Seanan underscores how healing from trauma takes time -- that the events in the past echo through to the present and starting a new book doesn't wipe away what happened in the last.  McGuire writes incredibly well and Toby and crew are well-rounded characters.  Again, I wouldn't recommend starting the series with this one (start from the beginning), but fans are sure to appreciate this.
The latest October Daye book has Toby searching for her daughter after she disappears from Berkeley.  Faerie mayhem and danger. ARC from NetGalley.
Seanan McGuire and October Daye never cease to amaze me. Just about every book in this series stirs so much emotion that I end up crying. Night and Silence is no exception to that rule.

I'm constantly amazed at the depths of detail that Seanan McGuire is still able to explore and plumb. From the other kingdoms, to the different species, to the intrigue amongst the courts. And through all of that her characters have grown and changed and learned. It's brilliant. I'm excited each chance I get to spend time with Toby and her motley friends. There's adventure, laughs, and so much heart.

"You don't get many miracles in this world. When one comes along, it's up to us to watch over them. It's up to us to watch them unfold."

So read Night and Silence and continue to watch the miraculous journey of October Daye.
NIGHT AND SILENCE is a classic October Daye adventure, in that all such adventures have consequences. Despite coming late in the series, and showing still healing and struggling after prior attacks, this book felt fresh and interesting.

NIGHT AND SILENCE is particularly well set up to be a refresher for those who may have lost the threads of this series.  Even new readers might find this an easy entry point for the series, though they would not get as much emotional heft from the prior events (and would miss out on a lot of wonderful writing along the way).  Much of Toby’s current relationships and accomplishments are touched upon in this book, but not in a way that detracts from the main story line.

A satisfying read for fans, NIGHT AND SILENCE contains layers within layers.  According to the author, the October Daye series has been purchased by the publisher out through book 13, and though I'd love to live in this world of faerie forever, NIGHT AND SILENCE is a fantastic penultimate book.
Originally published at speculativechic.com
***

How do you review a book that you’ve been breathlessly anticipating for an entire year? It’s not entirely acceptable to just copy and paste multiple copies of Kermit the Frog flailing around everywhere, so one must attempt to gather one’s thoughts.

This was not easy.

Because, you see, this book takes a mystery that has haunted the halls of the October Daye series for a few books now, cracks it open, and then plays with the gooey insides. It also adds another mystery or two and leaves the reader breathlessly anticipating the next volume. It’s going to be a long year.

I am doing my damndest to avoid spoilers, so, much like the Luidaeg, there’s a lot that I can’t say. What I can say is this: never, ever assume anything about these books. Just when you think that you’re certain about something, McGuire gleefully turns that idea on its head. We’ve seen the impossible done within the pages of this series multiple times: doors that were supposed to stay sealed were ripped wide open, characters who were supposed to be dead have been resurrected, and events that shouldn’t have been possible went ahead and happened anyway.

Checking in on the characters…we continue to see growth from October. She has gone from the would-be lone detective of Rosemary and Rue to the head of an active, loving chosen family. The cover already tells you that this family is fraying at the edges, thanks to the events of the last book. Tybalt is, unsurprisingly, suffering from a pretty severe case of PTSD. The raw pain of his experience is heartbreakingly realistic and portrayed in all of its ugly glory. I am pleased to say that he was not 100% absent for this volume. I was also pleased to see a reunion between October and someone that she had been semi-estranged from (and I cried when it happened). My favorite side character (Dianda Lorden) makes a brief, but excellent appearance.

The mysteries continue to build, even as answers to some older questions begin to emerge. We learn a bit more about Amandine’s heritage. We discover more information about Toby’s ex, Cliff, and take a tiny peek at the way that he must have suffered and struggled after Toby disappeared years ago. Cliff doesn’t get a lot of page time in most of the previous books, which makes sense. He’s made it clear that he’s moved on, and Toby has moved on herself.  It’s easy to forget that Cliff’s still there, in the background, trying to live his own life. Poor, forgotten Cliff. The events of this novel are going to drag him, kicking and screaming, from out of the background, I expect.

All that I can say about the end is that it doesn’t tie things off in a neat, tidy bow. How can it, after what our heroes have gone through? This is not to say that ending is a bad one. It’s simply painful. There’s a bit of hope there, but I was left with a feeling of uncertainty and even some slight dread for what may be to come for Toby and her family.

Bonus! As with several previous volumes of the series, there’s novella waiting for you at the end of Night and Silence. “Suffer a Sea-Change,” while lovely, doesn’t do much to help with most of the cliffhangers of the book. It does, however, give the reader a taste of what’s going on in the rest of the world and show the further fate of a particular character who undergoes a transformation during the novel. It also features of a lot of the Luidaeg, who is my favorite primary character. We take a dive into some of the painful bits that she either can’t or won’t talk about much. She’s a very layered character that we don’t get to see take the center stage too often. What we learn in “Suffer a Sea-Change” gave the character some unexpected depth and makes me shiver at what’s coming for the Selkies (and if you’re caught up on the series, you know the origin of the Selkies and what makes their relationship with the Luidaeg so complicated).

In conclusion: If you’re caught up on this series, you must not miss this volume. Please read it and then come back and talk to me about it. I’m kind of dying over here. There are so many secrets that I’ve kept for several weeks now, and I’m eager to chat!
Another fun adventure from Seanan McGuire.  I have always loved the twists and turns and the characters in McGuire's book.  Read this today!
Short Summary: Toby is once again faced with the kidnapping of her mortal daughter, Gillian, terrified that she’s once again responsible for her daughter being in danger. During her investigation, she manages to uncover a few jaw-dropping mysteries that will no doubt play a role in Toby’s future.

Thoughts: I swear, just when I feel like I couldn’t love this series more, McGuire manages to sneak in a new facet to the story that opens up whole new avenues and makes the anticipation for the next installment even worse. I have no idea how far she plans to take this series but even with twelve installments under her belt, this series doesn’t seem to be heading towards an end anytime soon, and I’m certainly not complaining.

Verdict: I read the first two installments in 2017 and the remaining nine this year so I could finally be caught up in time for the new release of Night and Silence. I now have to wait for the next release of this ridiculously good series like a PEASANT. BAH.
So, like, magic isn't real.

Except maybe it is?

Because when an author keeps a story so fresh and compelling this far into a series, it *seems* like magic.

This series delivers EVERY TIME.

Seanan McGuire is a fantasy writing goddess and I worship at her feet.