Night and Silence

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

I received a copy of this book from this publisher in exchange for my honest review.

I started the series by reading "The Brightest Fell" which was the previous book, and I will repeat here that I enjoyed it immensely. That book which I gave 4/5 stars will serve as a point of comparison.

The first couple of chapters which are heavily focused on filling you in on the backstory are a godsend if you are jumping in to a series at book 11. When you go on to read book 12 and the author does the same thing it means a slow start. This is why I stopped reading the book soon after I picked it up. Once I picked it up again I found myself unable to put it down. Just like the previous book, the action never stops and you just can't wait to turn the page. October once again stands out as an unforgettably badass character, however she just doesn't quite hit the high tide mark she did in the previous book.

October probably bleeds about twice as much as in the previous book and pretty much paints the town red with her own blood. Unfortunately once she makes it through all of the villains schemes and traps (by good old fashioned brute force, gotta love how unstoppable she is) the villain ends up mediocre at best and the resolution of the main conflict has to come by way of the Luidaeg mcguffin/goober.

The last part of the book has a very anticlamatic confrontation with the big bad's sidekick which seems wholly unnecessary.

Aside from these negatives what I really loved about this book was the inclusion of references to some celtic myths I have read in the past.

overall the main thing i disliked was worse pacing and not quite as much badassery from the main character as in the previous book (although she had just as good if not a better motivation). I mean she bled a lot, but she didn't have that quentin tarantino-esque baseball bat to the head satisfying revenge moment.
I found the overall experience of reading this book to be enjoyable, with both plot and character elements that unfolded nicely and with forward momentum. While not the best book I have ever read, I would pass this title along to other readers and librarians.
October ‘Toby’ Daye’s fragile self-made family is on the verge of coming apart at the seams and Toby is floundering unable to help the people she loves the most heal. She needs a distraction, but what she doesn’t need is the abduction of her estranged human daughter, Gillian. There’s no question of whether she’ll take the case, the only question is whether she’s emotionally prepared to survive it. With signs of Faerie’s involvement, it’s going to take all Toby’s nerve and all her allies to get her through the web of old secrets, older hatreds and new deceits because if she doesn’t find Gillian before time runs out, her daughter will the pay the price.

This ‘October Daye’ story is engaging with non-stop excitement that has readers bouncing in their seats barely able to contain their delight as the suspense builds. Toby and Tybalt’s romance has hit a road block due to past events and this has readers wondering if their relationship will survive this latest trouble. Meanwhile, other characters are also at stumbling blocks which adds to the emotions that flow from the pages, so readers experience a whole range of feelings throughout this story.

This story is fast paced with lots of twisty turns that keep readers guessing as to who the bad guys are this time right along with Toby and some stunning twists that has readers and characters’ jaws dropping in stunned amazement. This series is full of fascinating characters in an intriguing world with lots of wonderful elements which means that readers want to return time and again to see what else can be discovered and this installment of the urban fantasy series is quite the discovery.
Firstly a special thank you to Seanan McGuire, Netgalley and DAW Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

This is my first time dealing with Mrs. McGuire and DAW Books. I was so in awe by this series! I hope this is not the finale. Seanan McGuire is a lovely writer and if the book was not in total sync with its predecessors then McGuire is allowed to make changes in tone as she feels appropriate. Her world building is a staggering achievement, complex, layered, nuanced and replete with integrity. By its very nature, this world will always have need of Knight October Daye and her cohort of lovable and loving warriors.

What a ride!

Between Tybalt's situation is already bad enough, but to learn that Toby's now 100% human daughter has been abducted under bad circumstances? Talk about a moment of emotional roller coaster. I am so glad I decided to try this book on a whim. I'm fairly certain i scared my Fiance with my ugly crying over this novel and him laughing because of me crying due to a novel. He doesn't understand guys...

It's not just the fact that [Spoilers!!!!!!!!]. It's worse because of all the OTHER lies.
Another stunning, heart-wrenching addition to the series. We learn so much more about Toby's history that adds to the lore of the fae and the world as a whole. Excellently executed read!
Sir October Daye is a knight of the realm and a bonafide hero in Faerie. But when her former boyfriend and his wife arrive at her doorstep and want to know if she has kidnapped Gillian, her human daughter, Toby goes ballistic. She soon figures out her primary nemesis, the former False Queen in the Mists, has been rescued from her 100-year slumber by Dugan Harrow, an evil Fae, who wants Toby to return the False Queen to the throne as well as restore her Siren blood, which Toby had stripped from her previously. As Toby investigates, it becomes clear that someone is out to get her and kidnapping Gillian was only a step along the way. More and more machinations come to light and Gillian ends up dead, or is she? This is one of the best series in the fantasy genre. McGuire's writing is consistently good and her plots are well-executed. Recommended, always.
I must admit this is my first book that I have read in the October Day series. It’s book 12 and now I must read the rest. October’s daughter is missing and she has to find her. She may not want anything to do with her but she will do anything for her daughter. Nothing like a love of a mother towards her daughter. I even loved the novella afterwards that is from her daughters perspective. 4 stars. Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to review this!
Night and Silence is the twelfth book of the October Daye series and it’s a doozy.  This series’ by Seanan McGuire joins a handful of others in being one of the best series in the urban fantasy sub-genre.  It’s a series that offers consistent and engaging adventures in which readers can immerse.  Night and Silence picks up soon after the previous installment ends and gives readers a chance to witness the fallout of the torture/trauma of The Brightest Fell.  As relationships stagger beneath the weight of this stress we see Toby and company face an unanticipated hurdle.  A recovering Tybalt is sadly absent as the book embarks when Toby discovers her entirely mortal child Gillian has been kidnapped.  Series’ fans will be interested to get another glimpse of Toby’s long-lost sister and to learn more about the human family Toby left behind.  While this book lays the groundwork for Gillian to grow as a more three-dimensional character in future and it resolves with Toby’s gang (including Tybalt) back in action it is not ever going to be my favorite of the series’.  However, I do look forward to seeing how the events of Night and Silence will influence the next chapter in the adventures of October Daye.
For those who have missed the eighty billion memos I’ve sent out to the internet about how fucking fantastic the October Daye series is, HI IT IS FUCKING FANTASTIC AND YOU SHOULD READ IT ASAP. McGuire’s one of my favorite authors. I’ve hated some of her stuff and been bored by others, but when she writes books that are up my alley (character-driven and bantery), they are absolute gold. She’s just so incredibly, ludicrously talented at all parts of writing: plotting, prose, characterization, world building, twists, tension, and literally any other word you can put here.

Night and Silence is not my favorite of the October Daye series, it but it’s a strong installment. Pretty much every single book after five is pretty close to flawless, and the favorites come down more to my personal taste rather than those books necessarily being less good than the other ones.

Speaking of personal preferences, the opening of Night and Silence is absolutely soul crushing. It’s honestly so sad that I had to take mental breaks before coming back to the book. Seanan McGuire is so good at constantly increasing the tension of the series, but sometimes it’s more through character arc than through the plot of the moment. This one’s very much centered on Tybalt’s emotional development, and it was very hard for me to take early on.

In Once Broken Faith, Tybalt was kidnapped and caged for quite a long time in his cat form. His release, however, did not make everything okay again. He’s freaked out by his cat form now and uncomfortable around Toby, who reminds him of the whole experience which honestly makes me want to sob a lot. Sometimes I have a love/hate relationship with how good Seanan McGuire is at writing because then she hurts me. Basically, though these characters can heal from most things at this point, McGuire does not forget about the emotional toll of the constant huge, scary shit October’s crew faces.

At the beginning of the book, Tybalt’s basically MIA. He and Toby aren’t fighting, mostly because he won’t really talk to her at all. She’s trying to focus on work, but she’s clearly hurting really badly, and literally everyone is super worried about both of them and, like, honestly I’m feeling a bit verklempt just recapping this. McGuire, you cruel genius. It’s a tough book to read in some ways, but I do love that this book is all about beginning the road to recovery, recognizing that it won’t be instant and that it will require trusting your friends and loved ones and being brave enough to ask for help.

The plot deals with October’s daughter, Gillian, who has been living her human life and not talking to October, at the behest of herself and her parents. She’s been kidnapped (again), and October’s on the case. Gillian plot lines have literally never been my favorite. I find her rather boring thus far tbh, and I am crawling through the subsequent novella from her point of view. Maybe in the future, she’ll be in the books more and I’ll learn to love her, but so far she’s basically been this huge brat to October who loves her so damn much. And obviously I love October so damn much, so I find Gillian’s attitude irritating.

In the scope of the series as a whole, it’s definitely a more laidback installment. The stakes are high but they’re not HIGHEST. If you’re here more for plot than emotional development, this may not be your favorite either. Though more minimal, the plot that there is does hang together amazingly well, despite being really surprising. Honestly, it makes me want to go back and reread some stuff because there are a couple of key elements I clearly do not remember well enough.

To conclude, GO READ OCTOBER DAYE. HOW MANY TIMES MUST I YELL AT YOU?
I love Seanan McGuire's writing. She brings the words to life. It is like I am actually there, and sharing in the adventure with them. Toby's relationship has been strained after what her mother, Amandine, did to Tybalt. She hasn't seen him in a while, for he has withdrawn to the Court of Cats. Now just as we think she has a chance catch her breath and process everything that has happened, her ex-husband is at her door telling her that her daughter Gillian is missing from College.  I swear, Toby cannot catch a break. It is like she is a magnet for trouble. This was a great book to read, and cannot wait to read the next installment. I give Night and Silence (October Daye) 5/5 stars.
Seanan McGuire immerses us in another October "Toby" Daye adventure with Night and Silence.  Her beloved king of cats Tybalt is still suffering from his confinement by her fae mother Amandine, first born of Oberon, king of the fae.  Toby's human daughter Gillian is abducted and Toby and her friends are targeted as she follows the trail of the kidnappers.  This is followed by a novella, Suffer a Sea Change which follows Gillian as she adapts to becoming fae again, only as a selkie.  Fascinating errantry.
I'm kicking myself for starting the series so late in the game. That said, this was an exceptional book. Engaging, fast paced, and had me on the edge of my seat for almost the entire ride. I think the characters were well-developed and the story line was unique. I'm planning tog o back and start at book 1. I think I would have been more invested in the story and characters had i not started here but the book was captivating enough that the few moments I felt lost weren't too big of a deal. A great read for any fans of dark urban fantasy.
I need to stop thinking that after so many books I know this series and world so well that nothing can surprise me because this book's revelations surprised the hell out of me. With Tybalt, Jazz, and Sylvester still reeling from the previous book Toby is more alone than she's been in a long time. Someone takes advantage of that by kidnapping Gillian, her human daughther, and Gillian's father and his wife blame Toby. In searching for Gillian Toby is steered toward long-hidden secrets that have the power to change nearly everything.

I swear, these books get better and better as the series goes on. It has been a pleasure to watch Toby and everyone else change and mature in response to what happens to and around them. Because of that each book feels fresh. #NightAndSilence #NetGalley
The twelfth book in the Toby Daye series, and shit still manages to get even more serious/game changing, which I continue to be impressed at. The reminders of shit that happened in past books are the least awkward they can be given the nature of the beast. I’m interested in seeing how the new status quo effects the upcoming books, and continue to be surprised at how Seanan works Tam Lin into this. Additionally, the fact that she now gets to add a novella onto the end of the book expanding on things that happen either just outside of the novel's focus, or off screen, is a real value add. Comes out in September, if you’ve been following the series, definitely pick it up.
It seems unfair that while most long-running urban fantasy series stumble and fall into repetitive mediocrity, Seanan McGuire's October Daye continues to thrill and grow with each new installment. NIGHT AND SILENCE is another worthwhile addition to any McGuire fan's collection, and I'll happily continue on my quest to press copies of this series into the hands of everyone I know.
The October Daye series is still one of my all time favorites, and this installment was one of the best yet. The plot line continues to develop and keep me guessing, all while have both funny and smart dialogue. McGuire really knows how to write complex characters, and Toby in particular seems to develop exponentially with each book. Even though the kidnapping in this book was similar to an earlier installment, Toby really handles things completely differently. This just shows the genius of McGuire's imagination.
In the aftermath of Amandine's betrayal, Toby and her fragile found family have fallen apart. She does what she does best: continues to play Faerie's knight errant and ignore the tangled knot of feelings she feels unable to unravel. That never really works for long, and this time it's because her human daughter Gillian was abducted. There are signs of Fae involvement everywhere, and so few fae actually remembered that she actually had a daughter. This means it's part of a larger conspiracy, and it's a race to find Gillian before she pays with her life.

Night and Silence is the twelfth book in the October Daye series. As always, threads the reader may not have realized were left dangling in prior books are picked up and woven into something else new and dangerous for Toby and her friends to deal with. We see more of Faerie's denizens here, and the Changeling community that was left in ruins. The breaks in Toby and the others after the fallout of the last novel are evident, especially in the beginning of the novel. She has to work through them in order to piece together the reasons for Gillian's abduction; Toby feels less like a private detective and more of a woman that stumbles across a path laid for her by those more devious and vicious than she deserves to have to deal with. Her specialty is blood magic, and poor Toby has to spill quite a bit of her own over the course of the journey she takes to find Gillian.

There's a small afterward that does deal with Gillian's point of view, which is rather important to me given that the series is told from Toby's perspective. She was something of a cipher and holy grail of sorts in earlier novels, but now Gillian is in college and trying to forge a path for herself. The events in this book, particularly those at the end, throws everything into upheaval. I'm sure that she will play an important role in future novels, so I really wanted to see her state of mind and how she would cope with everything. The Daye family seems to be cursed with dramatic events, after all, and I know Toby will soldier on. It's a new experience for Gillian.

There are even more family secrets revealed and unraveled in this novel, something I didn't think was even possible after all of the other revelations that had occurred in earlier novels in the series. This poor woman has gone through so much; some of the highlights are mentioned in this so that newer readers can dive in and keep up. A number of the shocking revelations of prior novels are dealt with as no big deal here, so going backward would lose its punch a bit. It would still be a surprise in how it's revealed, so it's still worth it to go back and re-experience the series from the start. These aren't nursery rhyme fairy tales, but stories of the bloody and terrible cost that magic can exert on those that would wield its power. Those are the best kind, in my opinion, because we can really see the reflection of our world through theirs, and how we can learn from their mistakes.
I loved this book, as I do all Seanan McGuire's books.  I thought it was incredibly realistic how Seanan underscores how healing from trauma takes time -- that the events in the past echo through to the present and starting a new book doesn't wipe away what happened in the last.  McGuire writes incredibly well and Toby and crew are well-rounded characters.  Again, I wouldn't recommend starting the series with this one (start from the beginning), but fans are sure to appreciate this.
The latest October Daye book has Toby searching for her daughter after she disappears from Berkeley.  Faerie mayhem and danger. ARC from NetGalley.
Seanan McGuire and October Daye never cease to amaze me. Just about every book in this series stirs so much emotion that I end up crying. Night and Silence is no exception to that rule.

I'm constantly amazed at the depths of detail that Seanan McGuire is still able to explore and plumb. From the other kingdoms, to the different species, to the intrigue amongst the courts. And through all of that her characters have grown and changed and learned. It's brilliant. I'm excited each chance I get to spend time with Toby and her motley friends. There's adventure, laughs, and so much heart.

"You don't get many miracles in this world. When one comes along, it's up to us to watch over them. It's up to us to watch them unfold."

So read Night and Silence and continue to watch the miraculous journey of October Daye.