Night and Silence

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

The latest adventure of October Daye picks up shortly after the last and deals with some of the fall out from that as well as introducing a new drama.  More of October's past and family history is unraveled, all of the regular cast make an appearance, and plenty of action combine for a fun and fast read. Great for fans of the series, but NOT a starting point for newcomers.
I'm biased because I love this series, but this was a page turner! I literally could not put this book down. A very strong addition to the October Daye series.
Look, this is book 12 in a series. If you love October Daye, you're going to love this book. If you haven't heard of October Daye, for the love of Oberon please go read Rosemary and Rue instead of picking this up.

But man, this is everything I want in an October Daye novel. The emotional found family drama, the magic, the stakes, the dramatic status-quo-shattering revelations... the biggest downside to galleys is that there's no one I can talk to about this until September! If you're an October Daye fan, you don't want to miss this book. I especially appreciated how well it dealt with the fact that last book involved some serious trauma for all involved. This book features the characters coping in various ways, working through it, trying to reconnect and everything. It's a fantastic ride, and I heartily recommend it.
OMG!!! I loved it! Best book in the series since The Winter Long. To be honest I wasn’t sure what to think going into this. The blurb didn’t excite me. Gillian being kidnapped again and Tybalt taking off didn’t sound appealing. The plot tied things together and brought issues to light in such a good way despite the sadness of it all. This book is a game changer. Things will be really different from here on out.

Toby deeply loves her daughter. That has never been in doubt. I haven’t always agreed with the way she handled her relationship or lack thereof with Gillian. But I always understood why she made the choices she did; she thought she was doing the best she could to keep her daughter safe. Obviously Toby would have done things differently if she had known how things would work out. In hindsight she clearly should have realized anyone close to her, human or not, would always be a target. I am very curious to see where things go now that certain things have been brought to light.

Halfway through there was a huge revelation. HUGE. My mind was blown. I never ever had a clue. It made perfect sense but it was hard to wrap my head around at first. It was twisted and has made and will continue to make things complicated.

The Luideag was around a fair amount. She made plenty of cryptic comments that left me wondering exactly what they mean. Every time Toby learns something important it seems to unravel more things that need to be solved. This did not end the way I thought it would but in a good way. The best way to describe the ending is tragically happy.
After the tragic and heart bending end of "The Brightest Fell," I have been foaming at the mouth for the next book to come out and somehow restore Tybalt in Toby's life. I bawled my poor little eyes out over Tybalt bolting on Toby. I was ecstatic to find the story starting off on the sour note of Tybalt leaving to Toby facing her friends concerns about their relationship and what she had planned to fix it. But then kismet happens, as it always does with Toby, and she's faced with yet again another problem, but one far more likely to break her heart entirely if she can't figure out the clues. Cookie crumbs lead her on a merry chase and more problems arise than solved, but never fear because her dependable squire and fetch are just a shout and scream away. New people are thrown into the mix and forgotten villains return to cause more heartache and trouble than maybe Toby can handle. Luckily Tybalt slides right back in from the shadows and saves her yet again. But there's only so much he can handle and his hands are tied with everything but keeping Toby safe and breathing. You will be absolutely floored with the emotional twists and turns this book achieves. I can't be more happy with this book. It was a balm to the emotional upheaval that the last book ended with and I look forward to more October Daye stories.
In the newest October Daye novel, Toby is still dealing with the aftermath of her mother's blackmail plot from the previous book - The Brightest Fell.  She and Tybalt are on uneven footing and just when she's trying to get that worked out, her ex-husband Cliff shows up on her doorstep to accuse her of stealing away her mortal daughter Gillian.  Toby, along with May and Quentin, are now trying to chase down who kidnapped her daughter and the trail will lead to unexpected places and reveal secrets long buried.

Every time a new Toby book is published, I can't wait to get my hands on it.  Night and Silence has some particularly great reveals as Toby learns more about her own family.  I was a little concerned about Tybalt when the story started (oh please don't ruin that relationship because it's divine), but trust Toby, she will not back down and will right it mid-way through the story.  I can't say enough nice things about these books: great characters (sarcastic heroes are my favorite), well plotted (each new book offers more insight into Toby and the world around her) and real relationships (Toby's self-created family and her relationship with Tybalt).  If you are looking for a modern faery tale with a twist, please check out this series.  I cannot recommend it enough.
Toby is back in this latest installment of the October Daye series. Still reeling and recovering from the events of the last book, Toby and company are laying low and thinking about what the future holds, even as Tybalt seems to be withdrawing from Toby. When Toby's human daughter goes missing (again), she is in a race against time to find her-and there are many twists and turns along the way. A solid entry and good choice for libraries with a strong demand for fantasy and urban fantasy.
Night and Silence is the 12th novel in this series and is still as excellently written as the first. McGuire is brilliant at creating characters and worlds that you just don't want to leave. Toby is a flawed and wonderul hero for this series. She is the glue that holds the story and adventure together, but over 12 novels we come to love all the side characters too. Thank you to the author for writing a story that is quirky, strong and page turning.
#NightandSilence #NetGalley
Fantastic new addition to the October Daye series. Seanan McGuire brings back familiar faces in this new book in the series, significantly changing the game on her main characters. Highly recommended.
Electronic ARC provided by NetGalley.

I love Seanan McGuire and I love this series.  "Night and Silence" is a big book for Toby.  She and her allies are still reeling from Amandine's actions in the previous book.  Tybalt especially is having a difficult time dealing with what was done to him, and as a result he has been pulling away from Toby.  This is the absolute worst time for a new crisis to emerge, but of course since this is Toby she can't exactly expect to have time to heal.  When her mortal daughter Gillian is kidnapped Toby will do everything in her power to find her, no matter what stands in her way.

I was pleased and a bit surprised to see the story return to Toby's relationship with Gillian.  I felt that it was somewhat resolved way back in "One Salt Sea", although that resolution left a lot of things feeling rather unsatisfied.  We get to see more of Gillian here, and more of her other parents.  We also get some rather enormous revelations about Toby's family, and some very surprising shake ups to the status quo that leave me really excited (and a little bit apprehensive) to see what's coming up next.  I still love all of the characters and the world surrounding Toby.  I was not expecting the things that happened in "Night and Silence" and I'm almost sad at this point that I read the ARC since that it means I have to wait even longer to see what happens next.

(This book also includes a bonus novella from Gillian's point of view, which is a great insight into both her as a character and into some of the things that happen to her in this book.  We also get a few extra ominous comments from the Luidaig.  The novella is a really good addition to the book, filling in a few of the missing pieces nicely.)
I received a free ARC of this book via NetGalley.

I may have squeed a little about that, because who could resist a chance to learn what happens next to Toby and the gang as soon as possible?  As we open this book, everyone is still dealing with the aftermath of Tybalt and Jazz's kidnapping in "The Brightest Fell."  Mainly, Tybalt is dealing with it by avoiding everyone.  Which is a problem, because October's now-mortal daughter, Gillian, has been kidnapped in turn (yes, AGAIN).  In the ensuing adventure, more fey secrets are revealed, and more characters find themselves transformed (in more ways than one).  It's another solid entry in the series, and you should also do your best to read it as soon as you can!
Another great October Daye book! I could read these all day long; Ms McGuire’s characters and writing are just that well done and that enthralling. We get to see see more of Gillian and meet more of Toby’s family. And after Toby gets into some serious trouble (as per usual), we see my favorite, The Luidaeg, more, so yay(?) Another reason to celebrate: a bonus novella told from Gillian’s point of view.
I really do love the October Daye books. Just when you think October's personal life isn't complicated enough, it gets even more complicated. She's dealing with the fallout of her mother kidnapping Tybalt along with the kidnapping of her daughter. Again. The relationship between October, Cliff, and Miranda is interesting. There are quite a few twists that I didn't see coming and I'm interested to see the consequences in later books. Not only do I love October, but all of the supporting characters are awesome and add depth to the story. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series!