Cover Image: The Adults

The Adults

I really wanted to like this one, but it got weird really quickly. I abandoned this one after reading about a certain sexual encounter. I don't normally mind steamy scenes, but this was icky and not artfully told, more like, first I did this, then he did this, then we did this, like reading a book report about a sex scene. The rest of the story was fine, but I wasn't compelled to finish.
Honestly, this book was not for me. I found the characters to be too flat and cliche to relate to or root for. The plot was okay, but not enough to make up for the dialogue.
I enjoyed this but it definitely was not funny like it was advertised. It was sad-funny if that makes sense?
If you were a childless woman in your 30s, would you go on vacation with your boyfriend, his daughter, his ex, and her new husband? This novel is pretty much exactly everything one could imagine going wrong and reinforces why it's a bad idea.
what a fun quick read regarding blended families - definitely recommend! the characters felt real and a perfect holiday read!
3.5 STARS

This was a cute, light-hearted, fun, holiday read. The concept reminded me both of Big Little Lies, and that one episode of Modern Family that starts off with everyone at the hospital and then the events leading up to the incident are revealed.

The imaginary rabbit friend, Posey, gave me some weird Donnie Darko vibes (but I'm not mad about it). I didn't really like either of the male characters, to be honest. I thought both Alex and Claire deserved better. But I still read through this book fairly quickly. Enjoyable, yet forgettable.
Easy vacation read.  I can't say I liked this book at all, even though it was a smooth, quick read.  I just couldn't get interested in the characters.  I found them flat and unlikable, even the little kid.  My favorite character was the imaginary rabbit and he had his own character flaws.

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.  #TheAdults #NetGalley
I had a very hard time reading this book., mostly because I started reading it in the summer, and I was not in the mood for a story happening around christmass time. It was very good thought. Very well writen and I loved the characters
I couldn't put this book down. It has all the ingredients necessary for a page turner that will keep you up throughout the night!
Solid and entertaining , family dark comedy that is perfect for the holiday season! A great undemanding escapist read that does not insult the intelligence.
was surprised by how much I enjoyed this family drama and mystery. The characters have much more depth than I expected, and the conflicts that develop are significant and feel genuine. I found myself strongly identifying with the anger, jealousy, confusion, and happiness that the characters experience, and I credit the author for so ably drawing the confrontations and their implications.

The author does a great job of camouflaging the central mystery and then working out its solution in a slow, steady fashion that pays off quite satisfactorily.

The Adults is a bit of a family comedy but more of a relationship drama, and it moves forward with compelling narrative force. It is an easy, quick read and a good, solidly entertaining read
Thank you very much for allowing me the opportunity to read this book!  I appreciate the kindness.
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via Net Galley.

Claire and Matt are divorced but decide that it is a swell idea to have a family Christmas at a winter-themed vacation park. Each brings their new partner. Add alcohol and mix in hysteria. Hilarity ensues.... Not exactly. Not objectionable but, unless the premise sounds just too cringe-worthy to pass up, I suggest a pass.
This happens to me a little too often, getting excited about a blurb and maybe setting expectations a little high, based on that alone. I rather enjoy a good familial disfunction, especially ex-spouses, what drama is better than ex-drama WITH new partners present?! However, the juiciness fell short, and the plot and characters alone just weren't QUITE enough. I enjoyed parts of this and thought the characters were actually very well written and realistic. The different points of view were done fantastically, none of them sounding similar to the others. The story carried along nicely and resolved itself satisfactorily.
I just didn't connect with this book so I didn't finish it.  Not fair for me to give it a star rating but it's making me.
Unfortunately I have not been able to finish this book. This is a book I have picked up three times and for some reason I just cannot get into it.  I love the premise, but the execution for me just is not working.

Something about this imaginary bunny just does not sit well with me, and I am someone who had imaginary friends as a child.  I will not be posting this review publicly as I don’t as a rule post reviews for books I have not finished or give fewer than three stars.
DNF at 20% - I will attempt this book again next holiday season, though! Maybe I was just burned out on Christmas books by the time I got to this one :-)
REVIEW ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Would you go on vacation with your ex, the child you share together, and both of your significant others? It’s not totally out of the question but if you answered yes, go ahead and pat yourself on the back. 🍻
Claire and Matt are exes, and they have a little girl name Scarlett together. Alex Matt’s new girlfriend and Patrick (never Pat) Claire’s new boyfriend.🍿
Happy Forest holiday park.... sounds adventurous to me! ... one promise they made - they said they’d all be adults about this ..... but was that before or after the 911 call? 🤳🏻
A true test of the good ok’ sayin’ “whose the bigger person” and at the end of the day you may just surprise yourself 🥴 drinks all around for this crew, who would make it through this situation without!? 💀
#theadults #netgalley #booksparks #bookstagram #goodreads #booksofinstagram #bookshelf #reviews #bookstoread #tbr #adult #booksbooksbooks #bookstagrammer #bookstagrammer #bookobsessed #booksofig #reading #readersofig #bookish #bookphotography #bookstagrammers
Loved this one! I took a long time to read this one. But it really was something I totally wanted to read now..
RATING: 4 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

At first this book sounded interesting so I requested to read and review it.  Then I as I reread the synopsis, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it anymore.  I noticed that my eLibrary had a copy so I put a hold on it.  When the hold came in, I decided, "what the heck?" Aaaaaaand, I really enjoyed this quirky story.  It is a hard novel to put into one genre.  It is a quirky contemporary tale about a blended family trying to be normal adults but none of them know how to stay within those confines.  I highly recommend you listen to this one as the narration really adds to the story!

***I received an eARC from NETGALLEY***