Her One Mistake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Jan 2019

I was given a digital copy of this title, free, in exchange for my honest review.

This is a pretty good mystery/thriller. And it did take me almost to the end to get the pieces together and see what happened in the bigger story. Thought there are parts of the story that happened, minor events that had big impacts, that I did see coming. I think that the premise of the story was pretty interesting, and I knew that there was more to the story than just a little girl going missing. But I am sure everyone did.
The characters weren't all that likable. Or at least I didn't particularly like any of them in particular. I wish that Perks had done something more with the Brian that everyone else saw and who Harriet saw. The same with Harriet. She is convinced that Brian has convinced everyone that she was crazy, but we didn't get to see that. We're just supposed to accept that.
Though this was a pretty easy read, I can't say that it really stood out as anything special or unique.
What if you lost your best friend's child?

Charlotte had finally convinced her best friend, Harriet, to let her take Harriet's daughter, Alice, to the school fair.  Harriet never let Alice out of her sight, but just this once, she decided it would be okay for Alice to go with Charlotte and her three kids to the fair.  It's a warm, sunny day.  The kind of day made for sundresses and flip-flops and cotton candy.  And the Jungle Run, the bouncy ride that all the kids wanted to play on.  They all go in as Charlotte takes a moment to check her Facebook feed.  But only Charlotte's kids come out.  Alice is gone, vanished seemingly into thin air and no one can find her.  Not Charlotte, not Harriet and her husband, Brian.  Not the police.  She's just gone.

Imagine if you were Charlotte.  Or Harriet.  Terrifying thought.  But what happens as you read this book is nothing like you think is going to happen.  There is a deeper darkness here.  Things aren't quite what they seem.  And to find out what happened, you will need to delve into the darkness, to find out about Charlotte and Harriet.  There is character development and not just one twist after another.  It's easy to follow, even with two different narrators and two different time periods.

If you are looking for a thriller where the truth isn't so readily apparent, I highly recommend reading this one! Thank you to #netgalley and #gallerybooks for the opportunity to read and review this book.  I look forward to more books from #heidiperks.
I was given an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Also thanks to Gallery Books / Simon & Schuster for the early copy.

Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks is a psychological thriller.  Charlotte and Harriet are best friends, which seems strange to many of Charlotte's friends, as Harriet is considered strange and a bit of a loner.  Alice is Harriet's daughter, and she is never out of Harriet's sight.
One day, Charlotte convinces Harriet to allow Alice to come with Charlotte and her children to a school fair, while Harriet attends a class.  Quickly, the day turns to horror when Alice goes missing.
Spoiler Alert:
This book reminded me a lot of Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris.  Both books are about a husband who is determined to control his wife, and the wife fears not only for herself, but for a loved one.  In this book, Harriet is concerned for Alice, and in Behind Closed Doors, the wife is concerned for her mentally challenged sister. In both books, the husband portrays himself to the world as good and loving to his wife.  However, the truth is not the same as the perceived reality. It also reminded me a bit of Gone Girl, due to the deception that is revealed partway through the book.
Heidi Parks creates a novel that sets to convince you of one thing, while building an entirely different subplot.  I liked the tactic of questioning the people involved by the police, and I liked the reveal of the deception.  I was uneasy at the end, constantly wondering, like Harriet, if Brian actually died, or if one day he would miraculously appear.  I don't understand the terror that Harriet felt married to Brian, thankfully, but understand that it could be a very real issue, as so many women are abused mentally and in fear of their abuser.
I enjoyed the novel and would like to read more by this author.
#HerOneMistake #HeidiPerks #NetGalley #GalleryBooks #SimonSchuster
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for this early copy!

An well-done and interesting thriller. I will be checking out more from this author in the future.
This is a great book with well developed characters who keep unfolding along with the plot.  As the story develops my opinion of characters changed and that was a good thing.  Many surprises along the way and I like the fact that the story had a real ending!  I have read too many books lately with very unsatisfying endings, but not this one.  I recommend this  and would read other works by Heidi Perks.  Thanks, NetGalley, for the opportunity to read/review this one!
Well this had a surprising twist.  I had to keep reading to see if I had this figured out and I was totally surprised. The story covered many current topics - abuse, kidnapping, child disappearances, family issues, friendships, etc. - all things readers will find interesting in this story.
Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks, I have got to say this book git me! I thought I knew, I just knew I knew but nope it turns out I was wrong! Charlotte was watching Harriets daughter for the 1st time when she was abducted. This is the very first time Harriet has left her child with a friend and now she has to explain to her husband why she needed a sitter in the first place as her place is with her child. Mystery, intrigue, twists, this book has it all! Thank you Netgalley and the Publishers for allowing me to read this ARC and give my honest opinion.
For me the plot and storyline took a huge unexpected turn that had me guessing and changing my mind the entire time!a turn I wasn't expecting at all and I was quite surprised and never saw it coming.  The ending was was amazing and truly surprising.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to review this book. Her one mistake by Heidi Perkins.  I won’t give any spoilers.  It was the type of book I like to read. It held my interest and I enjoyed her writing style and the characters. Frankly, I didn’t want it to end and will more then likely re read in the future. If you get the opportunity I recommend this one.
What happens when the child you were watching disappears?

I liked this book. Each chapter as it jumped from "time frame" to "Time frame" I switched my opinion on how it was going to turn out. And then switch again. It took me only about two days to read this (mainly because I had to work) I would recommend reading this one. I will be adding the author to my watch list.

Thank you to Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books and NetGalley for the ARC
Harriet Hodder’s daughter is missing. No, not missing: kidnapped from a school fair, in broad daylight, while being cared for by Harriet’s best friend, Charlotte. It was the first time Harriet’s trusted anyone else to care for her daughter, Alice — ever. Charlotte, feeling protective of Harriet, had urged her to go take a class so she can get a job and find some financial independence. But on the surface, it ends up being the worst decision either women have ever made.

Riddled with guilt and scorned by her once close group of friends, Charlotte is beginning to unravel. She doesn’t know how this could’ve happened: why take Alice and not anyone else’s child? How could checking Facebook for a few minutes while her children took Alice to the jungle gym end in tragedy? Charlotte does everything she can to try and apologize, to make things up to Harriet. She even goes over to Harriet’s house the night Alice goes missing to try and apologize. But it’s Harriet’s husband, Daniel, who takes the lead. Who belittles Charlotte and makes her feel even worse for what she did.

As the days pass, the trail feels like it’s going cold in the search for Alice. Everyone is expecting a body to turn up at the end of this story. And bodies do turn up — just not who you’d think it would be.

In this domestic thriller, Perks pushes away from the “motherhood is my identity” thrillers I’d read in 2019. She instead shows women leaning on each other, forming bonds deeper than marriage, doing whatever they can to keep each other safe. Her One Mistake was refreshing, not just because of the lack of focus of identity in motherhood, but because of how layered the title ended up being in regards to the story.

For fans of Big Little Lies, Her One Mistake is as much of a page-turning thriller as it is a warning about coercive control and how so often things can look perfect from a distance but never are when you look closer.
I enjoyed reading this, but knew from the start what a major twist would be, and I was right.  However, there were other little turns I didn't see coming.  I didn't connect with either of the main characters, but didn't need to.  My interest was piqued from the start and wanted to keep reading.  I'm definitely interested in more books by Perks.
This was a book I stumbled across on NetGalley and thought it sounded pretty intense. I am always in the process of finding great psychological thrillers. I am not really well versed on all the great adult authors out there  so I am starting my small list and this author is on the top for me. I really enjoyed this book. It was everything I hoped for and more. I thought I knew what was really going on until I didn't and I was just sitting there with my mouth hanging open. Well written, well thought out, well done. I truly enjoyed this read.

Charlotte has 3 children of her own and on the day of a school carnival, she agrees to watch her friends only child.  Everything seems to be going well until she cannot find the little girl, Alice, she agreed to keep an eye on. Alice just vanished. Charlotte knows she only looked away for a second but she feels guilty and everyone blames her.

Harriet loves Alice, she is her world. She agreed one time to allow someone else to watch her child and she goes missing. Harriet is terrified, she wants to see her daughter again. Everyone is looking for her, the police have questions, Charlotte's live is destroyed... so is Harriet's. Harriet thinks she is done with Charlotte, even though she misses her terribly, she just can't bring herself to speak with her... until she must. Everything just keeps falling apart.

I really enjoyed this book. It had so much going on and of course at first I didn't realize how complex this story was. The beginning grabbed me right away but it didn't excite me as I thought it would. I thought I knew where the story would go. I figured it would be a simple lost and found child. Dead or alive, I didn't know. But this story was nothing other than a mind blowing experience towards the end. Full of twists and turns, secrets and betrayals, and so much more. It started out slow but ended with a bang.

I enjoyed all the characters in this book. I felt they were all multi-layered and complex. What was first shown was only the soft outer layer. There were so many layers to all the characters. I think I liked Harriet best of all. She was the most complex. She surprised me in so many ways.
Charlotte was a pretty grand character but at times she seemed a little ditsy and spoiled, so it took me a bit to really get on her side.

All the characters really surprised me at times. I thought I understood them, I thought I could be angry at them, I thought I could love them, but really I had so many emotions all at the same time for every single character. Very complex..... I know I keep using that world.

I did love the way the book story was told in dual narration and dual time lines. There was before and now and also told from Charlotte's and Harriet's POV. I really love it when a story is told in pieces. It really gets me fully invested.

The story really did take a turn I wasn't expecting at all and I was quite surprised and never saw it coming. I was in awe at the end. The ending was superb. And well I just really enjoyed it.

It was a very well thought out and greatly paced story.

A great psychological read. I look forward to reading more from this author.
3.5 Stars

Thank you NetGalley and Gallery Books for an Advanced Readers Copy for my honest review.

Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks is truly every mother's worst nightmare!  What would you do if your child went missing?  Would you risk everything to find them?  That is what Harriet must ask herself when her daughter vanishes while being watched by her best friend.  This book pulled me in, with its carefully thought out plot and twist and turns, it made me feel like I was riding the emotional roller coaster that the characters were on.  Based on secrets, relationships, manipulation and fear, the story explores that not everything is always as it seems.  This suspenseful thriller was definitely a page-turner and left you guessing what would happen next.
I really enjoyed this one! It was a quick, easy read. About halfway through, it was getting a little slow and I was getting impatient to see what the next twist/turn was going to be and I was genuinely surprised (and pleased!). It was a little confusing in the second half of the book when it switched from then/now and Harriet and Charlotte’s points of view, but I was able to follow. One of the best thrillers I’ve read in a while!
What a gripping thriller! I found myself delving deeper and deeper into Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks, trying to figure out what happened! You’re never going to figure this one out! If you haven’t read this one, go do it!

Harriet has never been separated from her four-year-old daughter Alice since she gave birth to her. After letting her best friend Charlotte watch her daughter so she can go take a class, the unimaginable happens. During the ensuing police investigation it soon becomes clear that all is not what it seems. Both the women have secrets and will go to any lengths to keep them from being uncovered.

I’m a junky for dark, suspenseful novels that keep me on the edge of my seat, eager to figure out what secrets the author has up their selves. Perks is definitely a new author to watch out for!

Thank you to Netgalley and Gallery Books for the advanced arc in exchange for my honest review.
I really enjoyed reading Her One Mistake. It was a rather quick read for me as I found it hard to put it down. I did feel that I was left with a few unanswered questions at the end though. For example, Harriet's friendship with Jane- what happened between them? The author mentioned it a few times and it seemed like whatever happened would have more importance in the book. I felt so terrible for Charlotte and was so surprised by Harriet's actions.
Thank you NetGalley for this review copy. I enjoyed Her One Mistake. Mysteries and thrillers are right up my alley. I liked the multiple POV characters as well as the multiple time periods with the story. It keeps you wondering what happened.

I definitely liked the twist of who took Alice. It wasn't the most shocking twist but I liked it. I also find the relationship in this book the scariest type all. Being physically abused is one thing but psychologically abuse and manipulated is entirely different.

I would definitely recommend this novel to any thriller reader.
I'm being a little generous. I think I would give this 2.5 stars.

Her One Mistake started with such intensity.  The description of Charlotte as the harried mother being pulled in thousands of different directions by her kids, school moms, and any other motherly responsibilities was all involving. I felt it all and saw complete truth in all of her actions.

But eventually, after the magnitude of the abduction had subsided a bit, the thrill of the story turned dull.  The suspense turned to the desire to skim ahead.

I really enjoyed the premise.  It felt naughty for the sympathetic feelings I had for Charlotte before, during and immediately after the abduction.  But Harriet just confused me as her character developed.  Harriet should be the one I have sympathy for.  Her daughter was just abducted while under the care of her best friend. I couldn't find the same attachment to her that I felt for Charlotte.  Because of that, I just couldn't finish the book the way I started it.
A good read, the author throws several twists at the reader keeping some secrets until the very end. The characters are very three dimensional (most anyway) and you keep learning more about Charlotte and Harriet until the very end of the book.

This book will definitely keep you guessing right up to the end.