Tear Me Apart

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Oct 2018

Some good things: the sentences are short and the vocabulary is easy. One can read this long book very quickly, just skimming over the sentences. I know it's a style, but not having all the parts of a sentence much of the time really annoys me. "Just a day. Just so she could have a chance to catch her breath. She hasn't been properly alone since she took off down the mountain three weeks ago has been under constant, vigilant supervision by her parents, her aunt, the nurses and doctors, and she is slowly going mad for lack of privacy and silence."

The not so good: The characters have little or nunuances. To quote an old nursery rhyme, "When she was good, she was very very good and when she was bad she was awful." I could predict where the story goes. And then it goes on and on, past the climactic scene. To quote Lauren, the 'perfect' helicopter mom in the story, '"The story is very long and strange.'"

Zack, the wonderful bio-dad knows that no one is perfect like Lauren. "It is almost as if Lauren is directing a play, moving the pieces around. I am a good mother: stage right, my accomplished daughter. I am a devoted wife: stage left, my handsome lawyer husband. Backdrop: our glitteringly perfect home, not a speck of dust in sight. I am creative, concerned, loving and disciplined. I have money, I have purpose. Nothing fazes me, except the thought of losing my daughter."

To all the readers out there who rated Tear Me Apart much higher, I'm glad you're reading. Keep looking for mysteries/ thrillers that have more interesting characters and complete sentences. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
There are so many books about a person's mysterious family history that eventually it becomes so rote. I enjoyed this one to some extent, but it was a little too predictable at times.
I loved this book! The subject matter of DNA testing and uncovering family secrets is extremely interesting to me. This book is fast paced, well written and totally on track with the current interest of DNA. I don't want to give away anything, so please just read this book! It kept my attention from beginning to the very end!
wow! what an amazing read! tons of twists and turns and full of suspense. held my attention right from the first page to the last page. just when I think I have figured out what is going to happen I am proved wrong. can't wait for more from this amazing author!
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview this ARC of Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison.

Young Mindy seems to have it all.  She's a well known Olympian hopeful in skiing, has two doting parents, and a bright future.   But everything comes crashing to a halt when she injures herself in a ski accident and is rushed to the hospital.  Surprisingly, it's not her injury that devastates her, but the fact that she has an aggressive cancer that requires a transplant from a family member.  It seems simple enough, when thread after thread it pulled, we learn that things have not been what they have seemed for a long time.

This one was a pretty solid 3 stars for me.  The story was interesting enough, the ending surprised me, but what I couldn't get past was how completely unbelievable it all was.  I just really felt like the author was reaching.  I also found the dialogue and character development to be very black and white and overly saccharine.
Absolutely loved this book! I immediately became engrossed in the characters, the medical drama, and the story told through the viewpoints of all involved. Love the twists and turns and the shocking ending! Love #hellion and thanks #NetGalley!!
What a ride - this book had as many twists and turns as a ski course!  Mindy is faced with a disastrous diagnosis that threatens her life in more ways than one.  She needs a transplant and soon discovers that her parents are not her biological parents.  From there we join her in the question to uncover the truth.  I can't really say more but I found this book totally engrossing.  I never wanted to stop.  It was a long book, but I really powered through.  It may have been edited down a bit, but I really didn't care.  I loved all the twists and felt completely invested.  This is my third J.T. Ellison novel, and it was definitely my favorite so far.

* I received this book from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review *
Summary:

This novel starts out quick with the action! Mindy Wright is a competitive skier who has a detrimental crash in the very first scene of the book. While she is getting surgery, the doctors discover that Mindy has leukemia and needs a stem cell transplant. Both of Mindy's parents are tested and there is not a match! Mindy's aunt becomes involved in the investigation of this mystery with Mindy's birth and who has a match for Mindy's stem cells.

My Thoughts:

I was not the biggest fan of JT Ellison's first two books I read, but I am so glad I gave this book a chance! This book was so awesome. It moves fast, and I felt the race against the clock to save Mindy's life.

I gave this 5/5 stars on Goodreads. I highly recommend you go out and purchase this book!
A fast-paced thriller that kept my attention for the entirety of a 6-hour flight. The twist/reveal was a little disappointing for me, however I still had fun reading this novel.
Overall I really liked this story. It's not a story I would normally pick myself, but there are advantages to being in a book club and getting out of your comfort zone. It was really fast paced, especially the last quarter was breakneck speed. The author made me feel something for many of the characters, even if it was a strong dislike. That's still an emotional connection.

I liked Mindy, even though she didn't play a huge part throughout most of the story. She was fun, she was strong, she was believable as a character. I liked Zack, even though he wasn't introduced until well into the story. I liked Zack's dog, Kat. The more we saw of Lauren, the more I disliked her. A few of her actions were surprising. Jasper wasn't really much involved, and when he did become more involved I started really disliking him.

I started out liking Juliet. As someone who has been somewhat interested in DNA evidence for several decades, and someone working in a field of law enforcement, it was looking like she would be the character I most identified with. However, her actions during the story turned me off. Some of what she did I can forgive as exuberance due to the family connection and saving her niece. But instead of then doing the right thing and notifying her boss, she compounded her mistake and piled on several more. She needed to be fired.

The eBook I received through NetGalley (for free, thank you Mira) for our book club read was filled with spelling errors. I'm guessing that was an intentional thing to track any sharing that might be done. Nearly every word with a double "l" was missing the 2nd "l". It was annoying, but didn't through me out of the story.
WOW - I love JT Ellisons style of writing, her ability to build suspense and I cannot wait to see what she writes next. This book was a 5 star read that kept me engaged right from the ski crash and I could not put the book down through the twists and turns of this family drama/thriller.
This book knocked J. T. Ellison to a new favorite author status.  She has a seriously impressing writing style that will not disappoint.  I rarely give five stars, but this one is deserving!
Great thriller! There were many elements that played a part in this story. This book kept me guessing and I couldn’t put it down, highly recommend.
Mindy is a world class skier (think Lindsey Vonn) when an accident leaves her unable to ski and qualify for the Olympics. While she is the hospital, she finds out some news that changes her life. This is a great thriller by Ellison that I read in one day. However, there are suicide triggers in this book, but Ellison stresses how people can reach out for help in the Epilogue.
This book is utterly insane and I love it. Very thrilling and hard to put down. I just hate that in the end Lauren doesn't give the full truth to bio dad, but it is what it is. Crazy people that lie from the beginning can't be expected to be fully honest.
Thank you HARLEQUIN and NetGalley for the advanced copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

This book is (wonderfully) not at all what I was expecting when I picked it up. Where I was expecting a typical psychologically thriller, this is something more akin to a character drama, with a mystery and a twist of thriller mixed in, and I LOVED it.  Once I picked it up, I burned through it within two days as I was genuinely curious to see what the twists were going to be.

The characters in this one are all interesting, a little flawed and very complicated and I love that in a story.  I really enjoyed how J.T. Ellison moved the story back and forth between present day and the letter writing between Leisel & V decades before.  It was the perfect way to unravel small clues to where the story was going, without letting the cat entirely out of the bag.  Anytime I became convinced I knew where the story was headed I found myself wrong, and guessing again.

I don't want to reveal too much, as this is one that you deserve to enjoy without hints of spoilers, but I will say that I didn't see the ending coming, and I LOVED how it played out.  Books that can surprise me get my highest praise, as it seems more and more difficult to do.

TRIGGER WARNING:  I would be remiss if I did not mention - this book speaks frankly about cutting and suicide, so if either of those are triggers for you, please do proceed cautiously (or possibly take a pass on this one). While both topics are explored in great depth, it is done with care.  I think it is terrific that authors are discussing these topics more openly as it helps advance and normalize conversation around mental health issues, however I would never want a reader to end up harmed by a plot.

An amazing follow up to Lie to Me - this one will not disappoint bookworms who are looking for the next great character drama suspense to keep them guessing.
A great psychological suspense story. A page turner. I couldn't predict what was gonna happen and I also couldn't put it down.  Book some time for this. Highly recommend!
This book about a young skier who has a bad accident keeps you guessing with many twists and turns.  I flew through this book.
Thankyou to NetGalley, Harlequin -Mira and the author, J T Ellison, fot the opportunity to read a digital copy of Tear Me Apart in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.
I enjoyed reading this book. The storyline was written well. There were plenty of twists and turns to keep me intrigued.
Tear Me Apart is a fast paced story about what it means to be a parent and what secrets long kept can do to a family when they are revealed. I found this  to be a really engaging story and different from what I expected. Recommended!