Tear Me Apart

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Oct 2018

This was my second JT Ellison Book, and it won't be my last. Both books I have read, have kept me engrossed until the last page. This is a story of Love, Trust and Betrayal. I love how it goes from past to present. I also enjoy books of mental illness, which this disappoint. Thank you Netgalley for blessing me with a copy!
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and author for an advanced copy of this book.

Alas I give it only 3 stars.  It was just not as good as her previous books (which I'd 5 star) and I found I just did not care about any of the characters.  There was no mystery and no big plot twists.
TEAR ME APART is another great novel by JT Ellison. I discovered Ellison on netgalley and am always excited when another novel comes out. Great, gripping suspense at it's finest.
Tear Me Apart was a slow starter for me. I picked it up and put it down numerous times. What turned me off was the multiple points of view and the many voices introduced and intertwined.  However, once I got through the setup sections, and the suspense started to unfold, the pace picked up, as did my interest. I did find myself appreciating the complexity of the multiple storylines and the uncovering of the layers. The psychological aspect was well explored, as were the effects of physical injury. There was a lot of scientific and medical jargon.  All in all, once I got into Tear Me Apart, I did find it entertaining, it would make a good airplane or vacation read.
This was a good story, but it was lacking in the mystery aspect.  There really was no mystery as all was very easy to figure out.  Not as exciting and suspenseful as the writer's other books.
Wow.  This book is powerful.  From the minute I started reading, it sucked me in; I devoured it.  For all the twists and turns, it was easy to follow!  JT Ellison is one of those authors that as soon as I see a new book by her, I know it will be first on my "to read" list.

This is a thrilling story about family drama, family secrets, and mental illness.  While I did not find the twists shocking, I did enjoy the tension and the fast pace of the book was refreshing.  It is a quick, engaging read that encourages you to put the puzzle pieces together.

I enjoyed the multiple characters and getting to know them.  I was suspicious of each at times in the story.  Ellison has a way of writing her characters with their flaws to maybe insight rage in you but you still like them.  The more you get to know them, the more human they become.

The ending was perfect and I am still thinking about it days later...haunting.

I would like to thank NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
This book is fast paced with an intriguing plot, but not quite as suspenseful as it could have been.  It was too easy to figure out Lauren’s secrets early on, leaving me hoping for a BIG twist that never happened.  Ellison’s writing style still keeps the reader glued to the pages and this reader was not too disappointed in the overall outcome of the book.  A book that is read for entertainment purposes should entertain and this one did just exactly that.
EXCERPT: The metal of the casket is the same color as the sky, murky gray with touches of glinting silver as the sun passes behind the clouds. The sound of sobbing, the cries of the justified, the flailing of my heart. Why did I choose such a big casket? She doesn't fit. It's the smallest adult coffin they have, but it's still too large. She is lost inside. They should have handled this. The padding needed to be expanded so her body doesn't jostle.

The body. Her body.

The words I've heard in the past few days are ones I never expected - new, untried, untested. Casket. Body. Funeral. Viewing. Embalming. Autopsy. Severed. Seven-inch non-corrosive steel blade.

Homicide.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: The follow-up to her critically acclaimed Lie to Me, J.T. Ellison’s Tear Me Apart is the powerful story of a mother willing to do anything to protect her daughter even as their carefully constructed world unravels around them.

One moment will change their lives forever…

Competitive skier Mindy Wright is a superstar in the making until a spectacular downhill crash threatens not just her racing career but her life. During surgery, doctors discover she’s suffering from a severe form of leukemia, and a stem cell transplant is her only hope. But when her parents are tested, a frightening truth emerges. Mindy is not their daughter.

Who knows the answers?

The race to save Mindy’s life means unraveling years of lies. Was she accidentally switched at birth or is there something more sinister at play? The search for the truth will tear a family apart…and someone is going to deadly extremes to protect the family’s deepest secrets.

With vivid movement through time, Tear Me Apart examines the impact layer after layer of lies and betrayal has on two families, the secrets they guard, and the desperate fight to hide the darkness within.

MY THOUGHTS: Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison is the, most aptly named book I have ever read. It did tear me apart. I ran the whole gamut of my emotions, multiple times. I laughed, I cried, I was shocked, appalled, horrified, excited, scared, tense, and utterly captivated.

And then, when I was 90% through, and my Kindle ran out of charge - I thought the world had come to an end! I could not bear it! I paced. I pleaded with the Gods. I invoked ancient charms. I chewed my lip, and raked my hands through my hair, all to no avail. I simply had to wait. . .

The tension builds slowly, but build it does, into a series of earth shattering peaks, each higher than the last. I gave up chewing my nails years ago but, my goodness, they took a hammering with this read. And the crescendo is. . . well, words fail me.

There are a lot of complex issues dealt with in this book. Child abduction, child trafficking, cancer, depression and suicide. Depression and suicide touch all our lives, and while you or I may or may not suffer directly, we all know someone who does, whose life is affected by the 'black dog'. And at this point, I would like to quote from the author's note at the end of the book. . .' 'Some day darker than usual.' It is this I want you to remember, should you ever find yourselfin the darkness. This feeling is temporary, no matter how cruel and pervasive it feels. It will get better. There is hope.

I hope this book will allow us to have more open dialoguesabout mental illness. There is no shame in a diagnosis of depression, or bipolar disorder, or severe anxiety, or any other mental illness. On the contrary, a diagnosis should be celebrated, because you, or your friend, or your family member has been brave enough to seek help. A wonderful doctor once told us there is no difference in these diagnoses than discovering you have diabetes - your body simply doesn't process the same way another's does. It is something to remember, and with that mentality, perhaps we can erase the stigma altogether. '

There are so many facets to this book, it is like the world's most intricately cut diamond. But at no point while I read, did I ever feel confused. J. T. Ellison knows her stuff. Tear Me Apart has earned a whole super-nova of stars from me.

💖💖💖💖💖

THE AUTHOR: New York Times and USA Today bestselling author J.T. Ellison writes standalone domestic noir and psychological thriller series, the latter starring Nashville Homicide Lt. Taylor Jackson and medical examiner Dr. Samantha Owens, and pens the international thriller series “A Brit in the FBI" with #1 New York Times bestselling author Catherine Coulter. Cohost of the Emmy Award-winning literary television series, A Word on Words, Ellison lives in Nashville with her husband and twin kittens.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Harlequin-Mira via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

Please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com for an explanation of my rating system.

This review and others are also published on my blog sandysbookaday.wordpress.com https://sandysbookaday.wordpress.com/...
this was my first book by this author but it won't be my last! what a unique, thrilling ride. kept me wanting to turn the page to figure out how everything was connected!
4.5 stars.

Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison is a suspense-laden mystery that is quite riveting from beginning to end.

Seventeen year old Mindy Wright is poised to be selected for the US Olympic Ski Team when a crash leads to a possibly career ending injury. Although the subsequent surgery on her broken leg is a success, her pre-surgical tests reveal she has a particularly virulent type of leukemia. When traditional treatment is unsuccessful, the only thing that might save her is a stem cell transplant. Her parents, Lauren and Jasper, and her aunt Juliet are quickly tested to see if they are a match.  However, Juliet, a blood-lab technician for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, sneaks a peak at the results and she is rocked by the discovery Mindy is not genetically linked to either her parents or her aunt. A confrontation with Lauren leads to the first of many shocking revelations but what Juliet uncovers next could result in deadly consequences as a cornered killer tries to protect everything they hold dear.

Mindy is a  surprisingly  well-adjusted and composed young woman whose hard work and dedication to her ski career is about to pay off. Lauren and Jasper are incredibly supportive of her burgeoning career and they spare no expense when it comes to her sport. Jasper is a lawyer and Lauren is an artist whose sales help boost the family’s finances. Lauren also homeschools Mindy and while she is a bit of a helicopter mom, no one questions her devotion to her daughter.

Juliet is much younger than Lauren and the two have never been close. In fact, their relationship is rather  prickly due to Lauren’s somewhat antagonistic attitude towards her.  Juliet is close to Mindy and she will do anything to save her after her diagnosis. In fact, she is willing to risk her career to try to find a donor for her niece. But Juliet has no idea that in trying to save Mindy’s life, she will expose an absolutely staggering secret that no one could have possibly foreseen.

Interspersed with the events in the present are flashbacks of two teenage girls who form an unlikely friendship that lasts for years. Even after they are separated, they continue to exchange letters that detail how their lives are progressing. An alarming portrait begins to emerge but the complete truth about what happens between them is not revealed until the novel’s chilling conclusion.

Tear Me Apart is a meticulously plotted and tension-filled mystery. The characters are brilliantly developed with all too human frailties and relatable strengths.  The storyline is engrossing and  although some elements are a little predictable, J.T. Ellison keeps readers on the edge of their seats as the novel moves to a jaw-dropping finale. I absolutely loved and highly recommend this clever mystery to fans of the genre.
The last couple of months it seems I've been on a mystery/thriller/suspense kick and I've been reading everything I can get my hands on in this genre.  Today's post is no exception - I was browsing NetGalley recently and thanks to my blogging association with them, I was able to request and receive Tear Me Apart by J.T Ellison.  Because I've read a few of her other books, I knew what to expect, and because I fell in love with her 2017 standalone thriller, Lie to Me, I was pretty excited to read this one.

Mindy Wright is 17 - she's an increasingly popular competitive downhill skier who is in the running to make the Olympic team. All Mindy must do is ace her competition...... but then it happens, Mindy suffers a falls and ends up being hospitalized for the injury to her leg with surgery pending. Shockingly, during surgery, the doctors discover that Mindy is sick with an aggressive form of leukemia and needs a stem cell transplant.

Both of Mindy's parents undergo routine screening and it is then that they discover that neither is a match.......neither parent is biologically related to Mindy! Mindy’s mother, Lauren, has always known but never told anyone, even her husband, Jasper, nor her sister, Juliet. The question is why? And who are Mindy’s parents?  Lauren has a lot of hidden secrets, but they're nothing compared to her desire for her daughter's ability to succeed and she will make sure that no one will get in the way of what she wants most.

The story is told from multiple points of view across the book in separate sections. In each section more and more layers of this story are revealed as readers get deeper and deeper into the years of lies and secrets. Even though there are different points of view and different time, I was totally hooked from the beginning of this story and kept flipping pages because I needed to know how it was going to turn out.

Tear Me Apart is a story that brings mental and physical illness issues to light.  It also shows readers just how far some people will go for those they love. I especially appreciated Ms. Ellison's touching note at the end of the book where she mentions her inspiration and her support of suicide prevention.

I was provided with a complimentary electronic advanced reader copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my post.  I was not required to post a positive review, but have chosen to do so because it was such a great story!
Competitive skier Mindy Wright breaks her leg in an accident and learns that she has leukemia. When her parents are tested to see if they are matches for a transplant, Mindy learns that the couple with whom she has been raised are not her biological parents. Things go downhill quickly after that as her aunt works to solve the mystery of where Mindy came from, putting her life and the lives of others in peril by those who wish the mystery to remain unsolved.

This was a fun and entertaining read. The story alternates between present day and the past letters of 2 patients who met at a psychiatric facility. We do not learn the pertinence of these letters until the end, creating a great deal of mystery and tension. I loved that Mindy is a world class skier whose whole life revolves around her sport until she is thrust into the throws of uncertainty and then learns a lesson in what is truly important in life. An excellent read with lots of suspense.

Many thanks to Netgalley, Mira Books and J. T. Ellison for my complimentary e-copy ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
**Thank you to NetGalley and MIRA for a free e-copy in exchange for an honest review.**

This is the first book I've read by J.T. Ellison but it certainly won't be the last! Tear Me Apart is one of those books you need to go into blind. Don't read reviews or anything about it other than the synopsis. Trust me. Tear Me Apart is told in two timelines: the past in a mental hospital in Tennessee and the present after a young skier is injured on the ski slopes of Colorado. There are twists and turns and more twists and turns. J.T. Ellison is a very talented writer who is able to weave a layered thriller beautifully. Highly recommend!
Thankyou so much @prhinternational for the free book! #ad #partner

So good!!! Addictive as hell but it only took me a couple days because of how busy I’ve been. I really enjoyed Lie To Me & was so eager to get into Tear Me Apart. Athough, it was so easy to know who was behind it so there really wasn’t any surprise to it.
I receive this for honest review.
What a great read! This had me hooked from the beginning. What a Rollercoaster! The sitting, theme, and the Characters had me pulled so in. Everything was well put together and it was just perfect. This novel would have you guess and thinking all the way to the end. What a great thrill and suspense. I love a great suspense that would have me think and guessing. This novel did just that to me. To the point that am wrong. When the ending comes am on shock. I wouldn't of never believe or guess. Like OMG!
Highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. Its so good!
Can't wait for his next book.
This started out very slowly and was very hard to get into in the first third. However, it picked up after that and kept me entertained. It was told in multiple perspectives from multiple time periods, which added to the slow start, but ultimately added a level of depth to the novel. The twist was partially evident early on, but the details were not clear. I really liked the character development, in that it was not clear at the beginning who was the villain and who was the good guy. Overall, an entertaining thriller that will keep you wanting to find out what happened!

Thank you to J.T. Ellison, the publisher, Harlequin - MIRA, and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I just finished Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison.  I loved it. 🖤 It’s a long one, almost 500 pages, but I found that it was easy to read and definitely easy to binge! It’s a slow build, but definitely not a slow burn...if that makes sense 😂 Not your typical thriller - I loved reading about all the relationships.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Loooove that it was set in Colorado, even though I’m not a skier! It was fun to read a book set in my home state! I did predict some of the plot, but it didn’t change my opinion of the book at all. I went in only knowing that I love J.T. Ellison and I think that helped with how much I enjoyed the book! Read the author’s note when you’re done. 🖤
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5 (3.5 / 5)

I really wanted to love Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison, I really did. Unfortunately, this one ended up being more of a "like" for me, and I didn't love it near as much as Lie to Me.

What it's about: 17 year old Mindy Wright is quickly rising in the ranks of competitive skiing, and seems like a shoo-in to qualify for the US Olympic Team. That is, until a horrible crash jeopardizes both her skiing career and her life. While at the hospital doctors discover that Mindy is suffering from a very aggressive form of leukemia, and the only thing that can save her life is a stem cell transplant. But when her parents and aunt are tested no one is a match, and even more curious, Mindy is not actually their daughter. Now with the race to save Mindy's life huge question begin to emerge, who are her real parents and how did she end up with the people she's lived with for 17 years?

The book skips around between current day Colorado, and past which takes place in a mental health hospital in Nashville. I loved the switches between past and present, but I actually wish more of the past had been included. All the "why" would stem from the past, and I don't feel like I got enough of the 'why' in this book.

I loved the pacing of the novel, although it was a bit slower in some parts than others. Even in the slower parts I still managed to fly through it, and I stayed up until 2:30 AM just to finish. I think Ellison is a master at her craft, especially considering how different this book was from Lie to Me (and her other books from what I've heard). I like that she tried something different here, but I also think this book was a little long. It clocks in at almost 500 pages and I really didn't think it needed to be that long.

My other semi-large issue with Tear Me Apart was that it was just way too predictable for me. None of the twists actually shocked me, and I saw most of it coming. That being said, I still loved how the story built and seeing how layer after layer was unraveled.

Final Thought: I believe it is best going into this one blind, so I don't want to say too much more. I recommend to fans of J.T. Ellison (just know you are getting a different type of book from Lie to Me) and to people that love seeing a web of lies and betrayal unfold in their books. This novel was a doozy and if you can't predict what is going to happen you are probably going to love it. I can't wait to see what Ellison will come up with next!
OMG, this book. What a ride Ms. Ellison takes us on with it!

Like with the other book I've read from this author ( Lie to Me ) I don't want to give away too much, so this review is going to be light on details. Trust me, you're going to want to discover them for yourself with this one. I purposely didn't re-read the blurb before I picked it up this week, and didn't look at a single review until after I'd finished it--I just jumped right in. I swear I barely even breathed once I got about halfway through--I didn't want anything to interrupt my reading time. I needed to see it through to the end...

Tear Me Apart, like Ms. Ellison's last book, is full of plot twists and turns. (Honestly, so much had already happened when I was only at the 25% point it was hard to believe. And yeah, things were only getting started!) You know someone is lying--at least one someone!--and it's pretty clear early on that there's an awful lot of convenient? suspicious? deaths going around, though the why isn't immediately obvious. The who becomes horribly clear as the book progresses, though--and then watch out, because things start to happen really, really quickly and most of them are fairly scary...

And that's all I'm going to say, because really, you need to read this one for yourself.

Phew! And now I need to decompress...maybe with a nice cup of decaf tea.

Though you'd better believe I'm going to take it straight, without any sweeteners at all.

(Because that's how I always drink my tea. No. Other. Reason.) ;)

Rating: 4 1/2 stars / A-

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
A powerful story of a mother's love and what she would do to protect her child. Lauren's daughter is a super-star skier and on her way to the Olympics.  She takes a big fall and comes crashing down.  In the hospital, they find she has leukemia which can only be treated with a stem cell transplant.

It is then they find her parents are not a match - Mindy is not their daughter.  The story has you hanging onto every word and surprises keep popping up as we find out the real story behind the lives of this family.  Lies, betrayals and murder find their way into the families surrounding Mindy.

Never disappointed in a J.T.Ellison book; thank you NetGalley for this amazing book.