Roam

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Feb 2019

Story of homeless teen trying to adjust to new school and friends while concealing details of family life. Predictable scenarios. Written in the first person with descriptive details of living situation ( living in a van with mother, stepfather, and sister; soup kitchens; obtaining services via church; mother and stepfathers' search for employment) yet writing seems simple.

Informative yet not engrossing read.
I stayed up all night just to finish this book. A great YA read that focuses on a homeless girl and her family. It’s definitely a story I have not read before and I loved the main character right away. The flashbacks from her life before homelessness really added to the story. The only reason it received 4 stars instead of 5 was because I felt things were too wrapped up in the end. Very nice and pretty in a perfect box. It made it less believable.
This is the book every high school student should read.  The author did a great job of creating a real world story about characters you would actually meet in high school.  Abby Lunde isn't your typical high school student and has been dealt a rough hand in life.  It doesn't get more real than this. The story is well written and completely enjoyable following Abby through her senior year of high school.
Tfalcone's review Jul 27, 2018  ·  edit
really liked it

Thank you NetGalley for the free ARC.

Teenager's telling of what happens when you suddenly lose your home and have to leave your hometown and live in your car. Much about the social stigma and anger at parents who were responsible. Well done and realistic.
Thank you NetGalley for the free ARC.

Teeanger's telling of what happens when you suddenly lose your home and have to leave your hometown and live in your car. Much about the social stigma and anger at parents who were responsible. Well done and realistic.
What a Beautiful, heart wrenching, life affirming story! The characters are realistic,  have depth and develop perfectly during this book.i love that this story focuses on the epidemic of homeless families, scrounging to get back on their feet who,d going through the motions of everyday life. Additionally, this is a story of survival, forgiveness and the willingness of some good people to help others. This is an important book that I think teens and YA fans need to read to help us build the supports needed to understand and help our increasing numbers of homeless families hidden in plain sight. Thank you to the author for this story.