Nobody Cares

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Sep 2018

This was a funny, quick read. Donahue is insightful and has the ability to use her own experiences to draw out larger truths. Sometimes, I found myself wishing she had gone into deeper detail about some of those experiences — at times, the book feels like it's skimming along at surface level.
Brilliant selection of essays on life, love, death and not giving a toss.
Funny, poignant, topical, and heartbreaking in equal measure.
I found Nobody Cares to be refreshing and hilarious. It was like taking a friend out for a drink and staying out way too late because you can't stop telling stories. It was a great collection of stories that I think specifically female millennials would enjoy.
This book was a breath of fresh air. Humerous and insightful, I would absolutely recommend for anyone struggling with their own mental illness. Donahue is candid and open about the real struggles you face. It's not often you run across a book that is so relateable.
Absolutely loved the realness of this book. The parts on anxiety were especially relatable. Donahue just nails it. And additionally, while she is very real about her experiences, she's also HILARIOUS! It's a perfect mix of humor with hard hitting honesty. Great collection!
This is my first netgalley read that which I want to purchase a physical copy. And not just one. I want to buy this for all of my close friends. Because Anna Donahue is raw and relatable and reading this book felt like a hug from someone who's been there. It's so, so good.
LOVED IT. I've been a faithful reader of her newsletter and twitter for awhile now and this is a really compelling, funny, heartfelt expansion of those. Friendly and frank.
Fun book.
Netgalley version had deleted all numbers which made it slightly hard to read!
Some stories are better than others but very relatable.
Would read a follow up.
A fun, readable collection of essays. Very insightful and entertaining.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
Anne T. Donahue is amusing and insightful throughout this collection of essays focusing on mental illness, writing, introversion, and other issues that seem to crop up for myriad women in their 20s and 30s. The title of the book is a great reminder of something that we all often forget: nobody really cares what we are doing, whether we look good or bad, whether we go to this party or that - and that is a really freeing thing to realize.
Thoughts book was amazing! I love how honest the author is and that she doesn't hold anything back. I should recommend this book to friends.
I’ve been a fan of Anne T. Donahue’s newsletter, That’s What She Said, for a while so was looking forward to reading her memoir. Nobody Cares does not disappoint!

Donahue shares her experiences of growing up in the Catholic Church, dealing with anxiety and an eventual diagnosis of bipolar II disorder, using alcohol as a crutch and the decision to get sober. These essays are witty, sharp and feel like you are having a catch-up over coffee with a friend.
This book is hilariously observant and outlines situations where Anne has learnt the simple truth to easy up on yourself because nobody cares.
Not in a hash way of course, your parents, close friends and family do obviously, but in all those flippant life moments and sometimes shamefully socially awkward situations, nobodies paying attention, that’s because really we are all too worried about whether we are fluffing up to notice when somebody else is.
REVIEW
Anne's writing is the voice of many women in their 20s and 30s now. Her essays are captivating and focus on engaging topics like mental health and spirituality.

PRAISE
“Actually, you will care about Anne T. Donahue's debut personal essay collection. Because its frank, funny observations and insights into life in your twenties and thirties will make you feel seen.” — Cosmopolitan.com

"I don't know how anyone could read her and not immediately fall in love.” — Scaachi Koul, bestselling author of One Day We’ll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter

AUTHOR
Anne T. Donahue is a writer and person from Cambridge, Ontario. Her work has appeared in publications and websites such as Esquire, Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan, Playboy, Nylon, Flare, and Rookie. She is the host the podcast Nobody Cares (Except Me), and she appears weekly as a culture contributor on CBC’s q. You can absolutely find her on Twitter and Instagram at @annetdonahue, baking or screaming into the night.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I would definitely recommend it to my friends. It was both funny and smart, incorporating basic CBT principals into the mix. Loved it.
One of my favorite things is to go into a book with little expectation and have it completely blow me away. This is what happened with the book Nobody Cares by Anne T. Donahue. I literally was like, "Ok this sounds decent let's read it." and once I got maybe 5 pages into the book, I was hooked. Absolutely, utterly hooked.

One night, I sat down and thought I'd read a few chapters of this book before bed. Wrong (I don't know why I lie to myself about only reading a few chapters)! Before I realized it, I was over halfway through the book. I hadn't even realized it because I was so engrossed in the book!

It's an easy read, and it felt like I was sitting on my couch relaying life stories with a best friend.

Anne T. Donahue has such a way of weaving humor with sheer and utter honesty. From her discussions on loving Leo DiCaprio to hating most parties and wanting to leave (uh, yep -raises hand-), I found myself nodding in agreement with a lot of the book. Because life is too short to stay at a party you're not having a good time at, am I right? Although, I didn't love Leo nearly like she did. But of course I can agree I had my own hormonal teenage crushes on celebrities. Doesn't everyone?

In between all the humor and stories of failing jobs and being an angsty teenager, there were lots of inspirational messages to take from this book.

It was one of those books that reminded me we aren't all perfect, and that inspirational books don't need to be about being perfect. It's about being human and having shitty things happen, and maybe sometimes being shitty ourselves, but learning to move on and forward with life.
This memoir by Anne T. Douglas is very readable and relatable to people in mid life.  She describes her self-absorption which made her anxious until she realized that 'nobody cares' what angst you have because they are self-absorbed too.
Douglas describes her fight against alcoholism and an eating disorder- sometimes seriously, and sometimes lightly.  This is altogether an enjoyable read!
What is the mark of a great essayist? If it’s that their work feels like talking to a close friend, Anne T. Donahue deserves to attract widespread plaudits. Witty, wry and irreverent, ‘Nobody Cares’ cements her as an insightful chronicler of modern life. Anxiety, rubbish jobs, sobriety- every day topics are treated meaningfully and insightfully. A book that doesn’t adopt a ‘I made the mistakes, so you don’t have to’ approach, ‘Nobody Cares’ says I’ve been there, and you’re doing just fine.
Just finished - Nobody Cares by Anne T. Donahue ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Synopsis : A collection of essays from writer Anne T. Donahue, author of the Thats What She Said newsletter and host of the Nobody Cares (Except for Me) podcast. @annetdonahue
Review : Excuse me, but was Anne Donahue spying on my childhood because this essay collection is relatable af! When I got to the essay about Leonardo DiCaprio I knew that Anne understood me on a fairly deep level considering we have never met 😂 Anne’s writing is witty and funny recounting tales of awkward teenage life with that dreamy nostalgia of the 90s all current 30-something’s have! She writes passionately about things that interest her (Leo, One Direction) but also with great clarity and maturity on topics such as sobriety, dealing with mental heath issues, impostor syndrome and facing ours and others morality. Ok, so maybe semi-maturity but definitely on a level I could connect with. Her writing is empowering and encouraging for the reader, reminding them that no one truly cares what they do, so why not be yourself and do what you love.
Thanks to @netgalley and @ecwpress for the review copy. Nobody Cares is out now and I highly recommend checking it out!
3.5 Stars

A book of essays that is part memoir, part critique, it reads like a friend wrote a letter to you. There are plenty of laugh out loud moments mixed in with reflective moments.