My Life in a Cat House

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Dec 2018

As an inveterate Cat Mom, I absolutely adored these heartwarming short stories of the author’s rescue menagerie, including Homer, the Blind Wonder Cat, about whom she wrote so engagingly in her bestselling HOMER’s ODYSSEY. Highly recommended!

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the ARC. Opinions are mine. Pub Date 30 Oct 2018.
#MyLifeInAcatHouse #NetGalley.
As a crazy cat person, I need to say this is everything I could want in a book. There are funny stories, sad stories, and everything in-between. The writing is excellent and really makes the personalities of the felines show through.  Highly recommended for any animal lover!
I am a self-described crazy cat lady and I devoured this book of amusing anecdotes about Cooper's menagerie.
Zum brüllen komisch, und doch kommt es jedem Katzenliebhaber bekannt vor. Ich habe mich selten so gut amüsiert bei einem Buch! Garniert mit netten Katzenfotos, lernt man die Charaktere mit ihren Eigenarten und Neurosen kennen. Herrlich!
I found myself disappointed in this short story collection from Gwen Cooper.  I had previously read Homer's Odyssey, her nonfiction book about Homer the blind cat, and Love Saves the Day, a fiction book.  Like many I fell in love with Homer and was looking forward to other cat stories.  The short story collection in My Life in a Cat House showcases stories involving her menagerie of cats that have called Gwen's home over the years.  As a cat "owner" (do we really own cats?) I didn't find myself relating to any of the stories.  There were portions of a few stories that rang a little true to my cats but overall I didn't connect to the work presented.  I think if the reader can connect with any of the short stories they will enjoy their reading experience a lot more.
Any cat fan could appreciate this one! In fact its a major seller at my workplace. Its kinda like a non-fiction a dog's purpose/journey/way home but for cats!
As a cat guardian myself, I could talk about (and read about) cats for days. This is a light, fun, and fast read for the cat lovers among us. Cooper really brings each story to life, and just made me want to snuggle in with my furry friend and spend an afternoon.
Gwen Cooper not only understands the feline mind, but she is able to write an engaging tale, or should I say tail. I had read Homer's Odyssey and and enjoyed it, but I think I enjoyed this book even more. The trip to the vet by taxi (after all what could go wrong) made me laugh until I cried. I think this is a book for all cat lovers, or for anyone contemplating inviting a cat into their home.
As a cat mom to two lovely older girls, I found this book charming and heartwarming. I couldn't imagine life without my cats and I probably talk about them too much and post too many pictures to Instagram of them. It is amazing how different cat personalities are and the different types of joy they can bring into your life. I will be reading more books by Gwen Cooper and I hope she continues to write tales about her life with cats.
As a fellow cat mom myself, how could I not enjoy this lovely book?. But don't shy away if you're not a cat lover (though this book may change your mind). Everyone will enjoy this.

Just an absolutely enjoyable read.
Multifarious Felines

I suspect author Gwen Cooper would be the first to categorize herself as a Crazy Cat Lady (which is a topic she actually discusses), having thoroughly humanized her darling fuzzy companions and, while giving a nod to their differences as a species, attributing generously those stellar qualities of intelligent thought which non-humans are generally not granted.  Vashti's actions show a comprehension of cause and effect.  Homer, deprived of sight almost from birth, has developed his own concept of the world around him and his place in it and assumes his ferocity to be equal to that of any threat.  Sharing her felines' adventures with us, Gwen carefully analyzes the events and presents her understanding of what transpired.  Anyone who has ever shared his or her life with another species will recognize and enjoy these tales.
My Life in a Cat House is highly entertaining reading for any cat lover! Gwen Cooper has done it again with these funny and heartwarming tales of her feline family. In these pages, you will find all your favorite furry friends: Scarlett, Vashti, Homer, Clayton and Fanny.

Any fan of Gwen Cooper’s books knows that she has a knack for finding the most amusing anecdotes about her cats. And, they sure get into some interesting adventures! This collection of short stories is chock full of moments that will make you laugh out loud at the feline antics. From hilarious toy fetching sessions, to a crazy cross-town trip to a new vet while juggling three carriers full of angry felines, you will find amusement in droves.

As any pet parent can tell you, our pets each have their own personality and they communicate with us in different ways. Gwen Cooper is an observant pet parent and an excellent writer. She combines those skills to bring us readers some very fun tales. Told in short story format, each tale features one of the five cats and their humans. You won’t find this collection of stories elsewhere. If you have read any of this author’s previous books, you know the good quality read in store for you. I highly recommend this book. I give it four paws of approval.
I love this book, and not only because I live in a cat house myself, although I suspect that’s a big part of it. The way Gwen Cooper describes her various cats reminds me of how remarkable people who are owned by cats are, and how blessed we are to have these animals own us. I laughed out loud at her description of her cats’ individual ways, and I’ll not soon forget the lengths she went to to take all three of her cats, in separate carriers hidden under a coat so voluminous that her doorman congratulated her on her impending blessed event.

I received this book as an ARC from the publisher and NetGalley.
I have read the author's previous books and enjoyed all her writing about her cats. She is the author of the famous Homer the blind cat series which garnered her worldwide attention and sequels.  The author has loved cats all her life and has a gift for writing to cat lovers directly that brings her cat stories alive for all of us that live with and adore cats.  She knows the mannerisms and personalities of individual cats and she understands what makes cats so lovable. She transfers her love of cats to her books and each one is a delight to read.
I thank the publisher and Net Galley for the ARC. My opinions are my own.

This is a delightful collection of short stories about her cats that she owned previously and currently.
Gwen Cooper is a dedicated 'cat "meowmie"  who has given all cat lovers a gift by sharing her stories about her beloved pets. She writes of the cats she owned in her twenties , Scarlet, Vashti and Homer.

Fast forward 20 years and Gwen and her husband are parents to two black cats: Clayton - a sturdy, three-legged cuddler and Fanny - the hunter.  Her stories are some so funny they make you laugh out loud! Others are heartbreaking when a beloved cat passes away .   She writes of their intelligence and unique personalities.

One of the stories mirrored a similar occurrence with one of my Moms cats. She had a large orange tiger that peed in my ex husbands shoes and suitcase at every visit to my  Mother's yet the cat adored me and everyone else. Cats are good judges of people and often are sending a message with their behavior. The author had a similar experience with her Vashti that had me laughing out loud it was so funny. Vashti conducted full scale war with pee on her ex boyfriend during a temporary stay that was similar to how my Moms cat reacted to my ex. Smart cats !  This cat then moved back in with the author and conducted "pee wars" on every man that visited as did my Moms cat for many years although he also use teeth and claws to scare them away from his favorite human.  These similar hysterically funny stories are throughout this charming book.

I love this book so much I am buying it for gifts. Its a must read for all cat lovers. It is heartwarming and at times heartbreaking but we cat people understand that with such love comes heartbreak as our pets grow older.  The author has such a lovely way of describing life with cats that it speaks to the readers heart as we enjoy this book sitting next to our own funny beloved cats. A great read I highly recommend ! .

Thank you with gratitude for the ARC. A must read for all cat lovers.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  It is unusual to have two new books by the same author come out on the same day.  Even more unusual is the fact that I loved them both.  We all know and love the stories of Homer.  Gwen shares her memories of his various sisters and brother.  While they may not have earned the world wide fame of their brother, they too are wonderful in their own ways.  And as anyone owned by a cat knows, we are all different.  From Scarlet forward, she has been trained by the best.
The stories are told with such love and humour, it would be impossible not to be captivated.  I cannot say how many times there would be something that made Momma think about the cats she has known and loved.  There are plenty of big laughs and not a few tears.  At times, the stories combined both like the time Gwen tried to take three, count ‘em, three kitties by herself to the vet.  As a cat, all I can say is she got what she deserved.  To put her delicate felines through such a traumatic experience: all I can say is “Harrumph”- with lots of snickers and guffaws.
All pet parents know the joys of furry children comes, inevitably, with sorrow when we must say goodbye.  We pet children must also say goodbye to our siblings.  Gwen shares with the reader the losses from our vantage point.  In fact, she speaks very fluent cat and understands us well.  Her ability to capture our essences makes for moving and entertaining reading.
Another five purrs and two paws up.
As a mom of three cats, I could relate to a lot of these stories. Cats can be awesome, but they can also be naughty! You can tell how much the author loves all of her cats in these stories and their little kitty personalities really come through.  Of course, I think that MY cats are the best cats and would never do some of the naughty things these cats do.  Super cute, quick, feel good read for cat lovers.
I am what some people call a proper 'crazy catlady' and I've been in love with these feline creatures ever since I was tiny. A bout of fur allergy prevented me from coming close to them between the age of three and twelve (more or less)... But as my allergies mysteriously disappeared after that, I was able to admire them more closely again. I've owned cats during most of my life since, except for a few years when I was traveling. So I definitely know what Gwen Cooper is talking about that every cat is unique and cat owners can create an unique bond with their feline friends. I knew I wanted to read My Life In A Cat House as soon as I saw the gorgeous cat on the cover. A memoir written by a fellow cat admirer? Yes please! I admit I hadn't heard of Gwen Cooper before I started this memoir, but this hasn't prevented me from highly enjoying her different 'tails' about her five cats. We get to know each of them through memories and anecdotes about why each cat is unique in its own way. Funny and heartwarming moments are mixed with a few heartbreaking ones... But the stories stay mostly on the humorous side. Cat owners will be able to relate to the different 'problems' Gwen Cooper has had to face while living with her pets as well as the happy moments and the benefits of being lucky enough to share your life with one or more cats. It also shows the importance of rescue centers and adoption (all of our pets were actually rescued from the streets); it is so much more fulfilling being able to give an animal a home after it having such a rough start in life... My Life In A Cat House will make a great gift for any cat owner or cat lover in general.
I had such a good time with this book. I wouldn't be surprised if Chewy.com picked it up to sell. Gwen Cooper got to live the cat-person's dream, and through My Life In a Cat House, we're all able to go on the journey with her. Poignant and pleasurable, Ms. Cooper carries on the staple of animal memoirs in connecting with her readers and giving us the heartfelt ups and downs of life with animals.
This is a book written by a cat lover for cat lovers.  I think the way that Gwen writes about her cats says a lot about her as a person - she chose to see the best in her cats and finds humor in otherwise frustrating situations (cat carrier tango...)

The cats in our lives share similarities, but are also unique in their own ways.  The stories of Gwen and her cats resonated with my own experiences.  I find it unfortunate (for me) that the one chapter that I can most relate to is Gwen's chapter for Vashti.  It is amazing how these beautiful felines can be so calculating, but we love them all the same at the end of the day.

I do also like that this book is a collection of stories that can read separately.  I can read a chapter on my lunch break then go back to work, and not feel compelled to read the entire book in one setting.
I loved every single word of this book. I am so happy Netgalley gave me the chance to read it, otherwise, I probably wouldn't ever find this book on my own.

This is a compilation of stories about, as it says on the cover, everyday life, and situations that inevitably arise when you have a household of two humans and three cats (five in total to be precise, but not at the same time). These stories weren't only anecdotes, but brave and minute insights into personal lives and frustrations of both the writers (husband is also a writer) and the cats. Without such openness, there wouldn't be such a warm and intimate connection with the readers. Not to mention that her immaculate English was pure joy to read! Each cat has a unique personality, and the authoress managed to make all her cats shine equally. Every single one - from an aloof diva Scarlett to a heroic Homer to an eternal kid Jackson. Every story made me laugh and feel with the authoress and warmed me more to want to continue reading about their adventures. I am going to follow the information at the end of the book on how to do exactly that on her website.

I would highly recommend this book for every cat and animal lover. You are most definitely going to love every single person and cat in every story.