The Perfect Girlfriend

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

A special thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Graydon House for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

"A fresh mantra springs to mind.

If you love someone, set them free.
If they come back, they’re yours. If they don’t, make them."

Juliette is in love with Nate and will follow him anywhere.  She now a flight attendant for the same airline that where he works as a pilot.  This way she can always keep an eye on him.

It's fate, they are made for one another.  The fact that Nate broke up with her six months ago is just a commercial in their fabulous life together.  She's going to win him back because she is the perfect girlfriend.

Hamilton's unreliable narrator is complicated, neurotic, and impulsive.  Elizabeth (Lily to Nate) is now going by Juliet, her middle name.  She is reinventing herself to win Nate back.  The reader engages in a tug-of-war where Juliet is concerned.  On one hand, we feel sorry for her given her tragic past, but on the other hand, she is so extreme and delusional.

Like most psychological thrillers, the strength of the novel lies within the writing.  Hamilton pens some complex and interesting characters, yet none are particularly likeable.  In fact, Nate is especially dull—perhaps this was done on purpose to juxtapose his character against the manic and impulsive Juliet?  There are times where you do have to suspend your disbelief, but all-in-all a fun ride.  Buckle up, with Juliet as your flight attendant, there's always turbulence.
Thank you to Netgalley for a copy of this book.

The Perfect Girlfriend follows a woman who is actually the total opposite of perfect in her attempts to reclaim an ex. I don’t want to give specifics away because they are what made the book fun. The twist was clever and the story was wound together nicely. I enjoyed the ending although the last 10% or so did feel rushed.
Well-written book about an obsessive girlfriend. The author does a great job of creating “creepy”
The main character is 400 kinds of crazy. The author pounded that home throughout and it felt repetitive at times, making a portion of it feel like a slog. The link between the past and present felt really tenuous. Closer to a 2.75 than a 3.

Free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to the publishers for providing Indigo Books & Music Inc. with an ARC for review as part of the selection process for the January Staff Pick of the Month.

This review does not reflect the views and opinions of Indigo Books & Music Inc. and are my own independent thoughts of the work being reviews.

I love a good domestic thriller, and am always open to supporting a debut author, so I was more than happy to pick up the ARC when I saw it on the break room desk a few months ago back when I was working for Indigo Books.

The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton is a domestic thriller following Lily – or Juliette, as she goes by now – as she seeks to get her ex-boyfriend back in a process that gave me a similar feeling to Single White Female. Starting with joining the airline Nate works for as a flight attendant, Lily seeks to convince him how deeply, madly in love with her he definitely must be and get her perfect life back on track.

There are a few other bits that are all tied up in her mission, including wanting to be more successful than a mean girl from her childhood (who happens to be Nate’s sister) as well as still dealing with the death of her younger brother and now her estranged mother. While these added aspects added something akin to depth to the story, they also felt more loose in terms of plot planning and weak justification for Lily’s behaviour.

You have probably guessed that I was not overly fond of this title, and you would be correct. While the writing itself was strong, it felt like a story I already read. As I mentioned above, Single White Female was only one of the films that popped into my head while reading, along with Fatal Attraction and Gone Girl (in terms of the open ending). I usually don’t mind “borrowed” ideas as influence is always going to be in our media, but it just didn’t work with this one.

The novel is told from Lily’s perspective which gave me a hard time since I had a hard time connecting with her. At one point in my life, I was also a badly bullied little girl, but the extremes that Lily went through to not only get revenge but also to justify her behaviour to herself. It wouldn’t be a domestic revenge thriller without murder and even that part had me more rolling my eyes and wondering why no one suspected how out of her mind this woman is. It all seemed just far too over the top for me.

As always, perhaps this book just wasn’t for me. If you like the films/books I’ve referenced in terms of “borrowed” influences, then you might enjoy this book. I hope Karen Hamilton keeps writing and I enjoyed her style enough to give her next book a chance. 2 out of 5 stars from me.

This book is available now at any Indigo, Chapters, or Coles location and has an official release of December 31st, 2018.
I've never read a Karen Hamilton book, but The Perfect Girlfriend sounded like something I would really like. I like twisty creepy stories and this one sounded like it would be.

There were a ton of twisty creepy things in the story, but I did find it pretty slow to start and not a whole lot going on at the beginning. I was impatiently waiting for crazy things to happen, but it didn't happen right away. I wasn't completely satisfied with the way that the book ended, to be honest. I wanted more from the ending, but it just wasn't there. Juliette definitely had a few screws loose and she made for a good character. Things happened in her past, which made her the way she was, which was actually a little sad.

Overall, I liked The Perfect Girlfriend. It had it's twists and creepiness to it. I would have liked if more happened, but for the most part it was good and at times hard to put down. Even though I wasn't happy with the ending, there were a lot of good things to make up for it and I was still invested in the story and wanting to know how it played out. It didn't blow me away, but I also didn't hate it; it was still pretty entertaining at times and pretty messed up other times.
Oh my gosh, this book gives new meaning to the word obsession!

Just when you think you’ve seen it all! Or in our case read it all, comes this little gem of a thriller that will leave you speechless!

Her name is Lily but also goes by her middle name Juliette. It just depends on who she interacts with or what situation she finds herself in. She has separate Facebook accounts for each persona. Her primary goal? Get married. And not to just anyone! She is determined to have Nate - whether he wants her or not! Lucky boy, Nate. Whatever it takes, no matter who gets crushed in her path. Make no mistake, she is driven to make him hers!

Lily...Juliette is more than capable of reinventing herself, even taking on a whole new profession and moving to a new city! Any barrier will be breached. There is no stopping this. Love will conquer all! Or should I say over-the-top obsession!

Karen Hamilton writes a tense thriller that explores the lengths someone will go to satisfy their perceived love interest! I was left shaking my head at how far off the deep-end this woman would go! Yikes!

Poor Nate! Does he even stand a chance? Well, of course friends, you’ll have to read this one to find out!

Thank you to NetGalley, Harlequin-Graydon House Books and Karen Hamilton for an ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.
Something  fellow reviewer (Felicia) on Goodreads said in their review of this book has stuck with me.  It really should be the tagline.  "What in the cray-cray did I just read?"  After reading the whole story, I still don't know.  For a debut novel, Karen Hamilton really took delusional to a whole new level.  Elizabeth/Lily/Juliette; she goes by many names and each one is more scary than the other.  The story started off slow but kept me just engaged enough to keep going.  You just never knew what she was going to do next.

"If you love someone, set them free.
If they come back, they're yours.
If they don't, make them."

This was Juliette's motto, and she really, REALLY stuck by it.  She was manipulative and controlling and deceitful, but you still kind of felt sorry for her.  Kind of.  The only thing that bothers me is the ending....

I will definitely be picking up Karen Hamilton's next book.  Not sure how she can top this one though.
Well, this is a short review because this book is so insipid that I don't even want to waste my time coming up with something substantial to explain why I didn't like it. I just don't care but, because I received a free copy of this title from Netgalley, I feel obligated to write something.

This story is so pathetic. Right away I figured that the MC, Juliette, must have had some type of mental disorder because, why else is she stalking her ex MONTHS after they broke up?

And what stalking this is! Not even interesting. I was getting a headache with all the little side things that were going on in here.

This book is more like a lot of useless blah blah blah to fill out pages. Really, this is beyond boring but... books must be written and printed, right?
Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin-Graydon House Books for a preview copy of this book in return for an honest review.
The book had potential. When I read the synopsis I was intrigued by the story of an ex-girlfriend who was determined to win back the love of a man she felt she deserved. It started off great, grabbed my attention, but I felt it really lacked the thriller and exciting suspense to keep me interested about half way through. I was very disappointed with the ending, it was abrupt and really didn't end the story well. Just left reader hanging
What did I just read? Juliette, Lily, whatever you call yourself...you are a major mix of crazy and psychopath and it was awesome! This book was binge worthy and an amazing, omg kind of crazy! I could hardly put the book down because I needed to know what she was going to do next! I won’t think about revenge the same because Juliette has the market cornered on that. Fun, amazing and addicting read. And I don’t even really hate her. What does that say about me? Haha.
4 When is Too Much Too Much Stars
* * * * Spoiler Free
Oh, True Love...How wonderful it can be...But what if one of the partners has decided this love story is over...done and dead on arrival.

What if the other partner is sure this is a Huge Mistake...She Knows Better and will stop at nothing to bring her confused, mistaken ex-partner back into the fold...

When does determined become Wack A Do... And when does Wack A Do become Down Right Cray Cray...

This is what The Perfect Girlfriend addresses and what a ride it is.

A gifted copy was provided by HARLEQUIN - Graydon House Books (U.S. & Canada) via NetGalley for an honest review.
So so good! This is an author to watch. Can’t wait to read more from this author. The reader is always entertained
Holy cow!  What a crazy, intense read.  One of those that you cannot imagine someone going so far for love and while you are hoping at some point she’ll get help, you just can’t help egging her on!  A very thrilling, chilling, intense read, which will make you think twice about any random meetings you have in the future!
Will be using in a challenge and highly recommending to those in Chapter Chatter Pub!!
Juliette is the perfect girlfriend and she’ll stop at nothing to get what she wants. Psychotic and twisted, she has a clever plan to win Nate back. After a few months ‘giving Nate the space he needs’ she reinserts herself back into his life. He’s an airline pilot and she becomes a flight attendant with the same airline. The first half portrayed the training of a flight attendant where we see snippets of Juliette’s obsessive behavior. Her love for Nate is not reciprocated and her intrusion into his life and other family events were fanciful and somewhat hectic.

But with a background of traumatic events ranging back to her school years, she is delusional and disturbed. Just enough to give us a taste of crazy.

After reading the blurb, I was expecting a wilder ride. Instead, I was surprised to find this book to be a much slower burn; a tamer version of psychotic than ‘You’ by Caroline Kepnes. But it still makes for a compelling read. There were a few detracting features. One: the draft copy was hard to read due to unedited sections and formatting. Two: the ending was a little unsatisfying in the same way Gone Girl left a few lose ends. But overall, it was a well written, engaging book.

Very many thanks to Netgally, Karen Hamilton and Harlequin for the Arc.
Thank you Graydon House Books for a review copy of The Perfect Girlfriend available now in Canada and March 26/19 in the US.

Juliette loves Nate. The fact that Nate broke up with her 6 months ago is nothing to Juliette. She has a Plan of Action to get her “true love” to take her back so she can be his wife.

I was hoping for a faster paced novel when I chose this book to read and that may have influenced my review of it.
The Perfect Girlfriend is a story of extreme obsession but Juliette also becomes a flight attendant to be closer to Nate, a pilot, so a good portion of this book is her working on flights and travelling and getting over jet lag. It made this book move slower than I would have liked. Juliette did do some crazy things to put her Plan of Action into effect though so there were some unbelievable spots that were my favourite to read.

If you like slow burning domestic drama, obsession stories or even travel tales with a good look at the life of a flight attendant, you might enjoy The Perfect Girlfriend.
Drew me in from the very beginning! I was hard pressed to put it down to go to sleep at night or to go back to work after a lunch break read. Twists and turns throughout, and did not see the end coming...Thanks for the early access to this book - I will recommend and purchase for the library!
An absolute must read!!!  Karen Hamilton has written an insanely addictive thriller that I found completely unputdownable!  The Perfect Girlfriend will have your eyes bulging and jaw hanging open with all of the twists and turns.  From the book description you get the vibe that Juliette/Elizabeth is a tad crazy (which is the understatement of the century), but what shocked me even more was the fact that I found myself actually rooting for her!!!  The crazier she got, and trust me she reached epic levels, I found my heart went out to her.  I am so impressed by Karen Hamilton’s brilliant writing and I can’t wait to read more from here in the future!  The Perfect Girlfriend is a solid 5 star novel that is a 2019 favorite and must read!
The Perfect Girlfriend is such a compelling novel! The reader is so invested in Lily's plan that once the book is done they still feel like they are a part of the plot! I actually felt weird talking to my husband after, as if I was still a part of the story. I thought that I would despise Lily for being obsessive but she is like a trainwreck you can't look away from. I wasn't particularly cheering for her but her reasoning made sense in the end! A great read!
Take a little but of Gone Girl and throw in some Fatal Attraction and you have some idea of the novel The Perfect Girlfriend.  This psychological thriller is told from the point of view of a woman determined to get her boyfriend back and is willing to do anything to make that happen.  In addition the setting in the world of airline travel adds to the fun.  It is a great read for fans of the genre.