Cover Image: The Wolf and the Watchman

The Wolf and the Watchman

This book is not for the faint of heart and so I'll offer a disclosure as you would get before a particularly intense television show: "Contains graphic violence, coarse language, and mature subject matter. Reader discretion is advised."

It is a gritty historical mystery that digs deep into the seedy underbelly of Stockholm in the late 1700s. The author did a remarkable job of rendering my fantasies of historical living to smithereens - this is not your ballgowns and debutantes class of historical fiction.

While I found some of the translation stilted, overall I was gripped by the entire tale start to finish (even though I felt like I needed a bath when I was done.) Intense and remarkably descriptive, I could see and smell everything presented on the page. I was at once repulsed and intrigued. The chapters were rife with the grisly descent of human nature at its most destitute while corruption, poverty, and illicit subterfuge were threaded deep within.

I wouldn't say it's a tale for every reader and I wouldn't say it was a book I loved, but it was attention-grabbing, and so well done.

I was provided with a copy of this title to review via Netgalley with thanks to the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.
Not for the faint-hearted, this book rocks!  I loved the story, the characters and the sense of place.  The author pulls no punches to tell his twisted story.  I found the author's sense of place particularly fascinating, learning many things about Sweden in the early 1790's.  Both a history lesson and a terrific literary mystery, this will satisfy my customers who enjoy Thomas Harris and Umberto Eco.
This is a pretty dark and seedy book and while I can see some people having some flinches and troubles with certain parts, I absolutely found those to be some of my favorite parts. This is a very atmospheric reads but along the lines of The Alienist , I think I find these better suited on the screen.

I had some issues with the translation and with the flow of conversation. It seemed to take a lot of time to get into the nitty gritty and I much prefer a faster pace. However... I absolutely was enthralled with the story line. I think just for me, as a reader, these are the types of reads I much prefer to see on film. There's a special cadence and flow to these types of reads that I just can't seem to get into the rhythm of. Yet, I just can't look away either.

Absolutely not a fun read but not all of them need to be - especially in this type of nordic noir, historical fiction thriller.
•	Title: The Wolf and The Watchman Alt. Title 1793
•	Author: Niklas Natt och Dag
•	Series: Stand-Alone
•	Pages: 384
•	Genre: Historical Fiction/ Mystery/ Thriller
•	Rating Out of 5 Stars: 3

My Thoughts:
   The Wolf and the Watchmen is a graphic, arresting and grizzly mashup of Sherlock Holmes, the Alienist and Perfume.
    The mystery and approach to the situation within the dark atmosphere really draws you in. I really enjoyed the writing, even as hard hitting as it was. Our author does not shy away from graphic details. If you are the squeamish type please bear in mind there is lots of descriptive scenes involving certain depraved natures, dissection and torture. The book itself is broken in a few parts following a different narrative which can come across rather abrupt. You really get into the mood of one arc then are thrown into another. Over all we follow four characters story arcs: Cardell and Winge, Anna Stina and Kristofer Blix
     Cardell and Winge take up much of the story arc. This pair very much gave me the impression of a Sherlock and Watson duo in the manner they behaved and developed through the book. While they rely on each other it was nice to see them get equal measure in the tasks they took on and clues they pieced together.
       Anna Stina has, I feel, has the next largest story arc. The whole in and of itself was well done. However, you could have completely taken her narrative out of the book without having to make to many major edits with the other two. I felt that it added absolutely nothing to the overall story. It was her narrative that brought down a four to 4.5-star rating down to a 3 for me.
        Kristofer has the biggest tie in with what is going on in the main plot. I wish his backstory had not taken place so late in the book. I’m not going to go into much with him as there are lots of spoilers involved there.

This started off so strong. It’s not that I’m disappointed in the book but it really lost its momentum with the Anna Stina focus. If you take that out it was fantastic. Absolutely disturbing, but a great read. I still recommend it, especially if you are into the macabre.
This was one of my most anticipated books of the year and WOW! It did not disappoint. This book kinda of has a Sherlock Holmes vibe but is completely its own! This is one of the most messed up/brutal crime books I've read and I kind of want to cry with that ending... I 100% recommend this book and I can see it possibly being my favorite of the year and it's only March!
Sorry, I appear to have a very unpopular opinion for this one. This was something that I was highly anticipating this year too, but I found it plodding and humdrum. I'm not sure if this is something that might have to do with the translation, but there were a few times where I found a sentence or two embedded in a paragraph that just didn't seem to belong there? For grittier and much more engrossing reads, I found I was rewarded with books like [book:The Burning Chambers|36660443] or [book:Martyr|6397014] as two examples of books I recently (last year).

I don't plan on reviewing this on the Literary Hoarders' site as I don't like to spend too much time talking about books I didn't really enjoy. It doesn't seem appropriate to do so.
1793 Stockholm - the filth, the stench, the destitute, the depraved - this novel is not for the faint of heart. It starts with watchman Mickel Cardel pulling a body from a lake. To set the gruesome tone, this is a body whose arms and legs have been severed. Lawyer Cecil Winge sets out to investigate this crime and calls upon Cardell to assist.
This novel follows these two characters along with two others identified later. Along the way again and again small events lead to horrific life changing events for the characters - the butterfly effect.
As I was reaching the end of this book, I kept pausing between chapters because I was so anxious about the outcome. This is one I have continued to think about since finishing. That’s the sign of a 5⭐️ book to me.
The Wolf and the Watchman is a 2019 Atria Books publication.

Morose and grisly- but morbidly fascinating!

Late 1700s- Stockholm-

A mutilated corpse is found in the lake- and by mutilated, I mean limbs, tongue, and eyes had been methodically removed, one at a time, the work mimicking that of a surgeon.

Cecil Winge, a lawyer, suffering through the last stages of consumption has been asked to look into the matter, which is the only thing that keeps him on his feet, fighting to stay alive long enough to solve the mystery.

Winge teams up with Mickel Cardell, a disabled former soldier, who discovered, then fished the body out of the water. Together they work to officially identify the body and discover who murdered the man in such a gruesome manner.

This novel has generated a bit of publicity, and as such, has already garnered a bit of a reputation- clueing me in on its violent nature. However, I was still unprepared for the lurid content I encountered in this story!! So, even if one has a high tolerance for graphic violence and gore, this novel will test your limits and boundaries. So- consider yourself warned.

The plot is intricate, and very absorbing, with several interesting character studies rounding things out. The dark and macabre underbelly of Stockholm provides an unsettling and nerve-wracking atmosphere which never allowed one to relax or exhale, even for a moment. There is also an urgency to the solving the crime as Winge’s health progressively worsens, adding an even heavier quality to an already depressingly grim tale.

Although there are very few rays of light in this dreary mystery/thriller, the sun does break through the clouds from time to time, offering some modicum of relief, but not for very long. I needed a respite from this one a time or two, but did find the story very compelling, with moments of real brilliance, although, the grit still overshadowed the finer nuances.

I can see why this book has captured the attention of its publisher, and why they hope a marketing push will steer it into the mainstream. But, despite the impressiveness of it, I’m not sure it’s ready for prime time, which is an audience trained to absorb bland, contained, polished, and watered down content. I'm not convinced this novel is suited for mass consumption.

Perhaps it would work better with a cult following, which is a far more intriguing, enduring, and even flattering thought, appealing to a specific audience capable of giving it the credit it is due…. Without feeling a little blue or green around the gills.
4.5/5 Stars!

A gruesomely mutilated body is fished out of a local lake by a night watchman. So begins this dark mystery set in Stockholm in the late 1700's.

The main characters, the aforementioned night watchman, (Cardell), and a lawyer dying from consumption, (Winge), were fascinating and multi-layered. Winge hasn't much time left in this world, and he makes the investigation of this case his only reason for living. Cardell, an injured war veteran looking for self worth and coming up short, is turning to the bottle instead. This mystery provides a reason for him to stay sober. Mostly. Together, they wander the disgusting streets of Stockholm, hunting their murderer. Will they find him/her? Will Winge live long enough to see the perpetrator tried for the crime? Will Cardell be able to keep himself out of the bottle long enough to aid Winge in his only goal? You'll have to read this to find out!

I enjoyed reading about this time in Stockholm's history. Admittedly, I do not know much about the city or the country, but I learned a little bit reading this book. I learned that the city, much like others of its size around the world at that time, was a seething pit of disease. Piles of excrement lying around, chamber pots emptied out the window-I think you get the drift. Whenever I read about living in a city during this time period I wonder how humanity survived at all.

On top of the filth of the city, its inhabitants were often entertained by the worst society has to offer. Gambling, prostitution, and ruining the reputations of others just for fun-these were the popular habits of the day. A woman, left widowed, or worse yet? Impregnated before marriage? They were left in circumstances beyond dire. Combat veterans-especially those who lost limbs or those who were mentally impaired due to the harsh circumstances of war? They fared no better. Most people were so involved in their own survival, (no small feat!) there was no time or thought put into charity for others.

Regarding the solving of the gruesome murder, this book reminded me quite a lot of THE ALIENIST. Winge was especially interested in hearing the motives from the killers themselves in his past cases, and he wants to know what made this perpetrator tick as well. While THE ALIENIST was heavily involved with crime investigation techniques, Winge was much more interested in the psychological aspects of criminals. So am I, so this viewpoint worked perfectly for me.

The way this tale unfolded was intriguing-the first section involving Winge and Cardell, the others involving other people with whom we were not familiar. It kept me reading because I needed to see how all of this was going to tie together. I think the telling was my favorite aspect of this story-well, this and the main characters.

I finished up the book having developed a serious liking and respect for Cardell. Both he and Winge were men of honor, something which seemed to be in short supply during this time period. I wanted to know more about the Eumenides and a few other characters as well. I am really hoping for a sequel here, people!

I devoured this book as quickly as I could. As I said above, I was fascinated by how the author told the story, the pacing was excellent, and the mystery a good one. I especially liked the darkness of the tale and how the author did not shy away from the brutality of life at the time. I suspect that the gruesome nature of this story, and the author's unflinching telling of it, may turn some readers off. But for this reader, lover of dark fiction that I am, it was nearly perfect and left me wanting more. Please, bring on a sequel, sir!

Highly recommended!

*Thank you to Atria and to NetGalley for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.
1793. Stockholm. Crippled, former soldier, Mikel Cardell, discovers a mutilated corpse floating in a filth-filled lake. The body's arms, legs, eyes, and tongue have been removed. Cardell teams up with a dying lawyer to identify the body and find a killer. Turns out the pretty, painted elite class in the city aren't quite as beautiful as they seem....and the city has a very dirty, disturbing underbelly.

This book.....wow.....I had to let my thoughts percolate for a few days before I could write a review on this one. This one was a rough read. Not because it wasn't good....but because it was extremely and masterfully dark! The story is disturbing and even grotesque in places....but utterly mesmerizing. I couldn't stop reading....but there were a few scenes I found hard to read. Definitely not a book to read over dinner. I'm not going to comment on the plot at all beyond the basic blurb above...as spoilers would ruin parts of the story for others. All I will say is it's disturbing and masterfully suspenseful.

The characters are gritty and realistic. It paints a bleak picture of class separation, hidden secrets and just the filth and brutal nature of life in the 18th century.

Great book! But be prepared for some gruesome violence, cruel characters and a disturbing look at poverty, death and deception in the 1790s.

I'm definitely going to be reading more by this author. He is one hell of a storyteller!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Atria Books via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**
The Wolf and the Watchman is a great historical thriller. It is 1793 in Stockholm, Sweden. Cecil Winge and Mickel Cardel try to solve a murder when a mutilated body is found in the lake. Cecil works for the  police, but is limited by consumption and is quite physically weak. Cardel is a war veteran and ex-watchman, who likes to drink hard and often.

This novel is vividly written and quite gruesome – but great. It is so well written that it is your imagination that makes it so difficult at times. There are other notable characters as well that completely absorb you into their lives. I am unwilling to spoil the story so I am keeping this review quite short.

It was a little difficult to follow the political aspects, but that is not the fault of the novel. Prior to this novel, I knew very little of Sweden and the time period. Anyone who loves historical fiction and mystery/thriller will like this novel.

Throughout the book I kept thinking, ‘Who is the wolf?’ It was made brilliantly clear by the end.

4 out of 5 stars. Thank you so much Atria Books and Netgalley for an advanced copy.
This book is beautifully written and well constructed, but was a very challenging experience for me because of its unrelenting darkness.  It is far removed from the kind of historical fiction I usually select, but I appreciate the book's intensity, drama,  and creativity.

As I read it, I was reminded of a phrase in Joseph Conrad's HEART OF DARKNESS:  "the fascination of the abomination"  . . . . . that summarized the tone of this book for me.

The author created an unlikely cast of heroes and heroines and they were my salvation as I held my breath and turned the (virtual) pages.  I loved the "wolf" and the Watchman as well as the female heroine who emerged later in the story.  Mr. Natt och Dag has crafted a brilliant novel of crime and suspense---it is not for everyone, but is well worth exploring for those readers who do not cringe when the darkest side of humanity is exposed.

Netgalley provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in return for a candid review.
I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery set in Stockholm in 1793, and most especially the way the story unfolds, drawing new characters in, and adding associations that unite them. The murder details are graphic, horrific and gruesome, so the book won't be for everyone.

The main characters are very well drawn, both good and evil, and the vivid details of the society and setting plunk the reader right in the middle of the malodorous streets. Be so grateful you didn't live in those times!

Many thanks to the publisher for providing me with an arc via NetGalley for an honest review. I am hoping least one or two of these interesting characters will carry on in future books.
What's better than an ornate period piece with style to spare? One that includes a murder mystery. Oh, and boy is it a riveting mystery.

Niklas Natt och Dag's The Wolf and the Watchman, translated from the Swedish by Ebba Segerberg, opens with a gruesome discovery: a hideously mutilated corpse floating in a filthy lake. The victim's eyes, tongue, teeth, arms and legs have all been systematically and slowly removed. What follows is a quest to discover both the identity of the victim and of the killer.

It's the late 1700s in Stockholm, which means there's no forensic specialist to phone, and the detective work is left to Mickel Cardell, an alcoholic, disabled ex-soldier, and Cecil Winge, a consumptive lawyer. Together, they give the reader a tour of the underbelly of the city. Sordid deosn't even begin to describe the world the characters in this book navigate — picture William Hogarth's famous painting "A Rake's Progress" and Giovanni da Modena's "The Inferno" smashed together, and you'll get an idea of what to expect. There's murder and mutilation, but there are also beatings, rape, alcoholism, disease, corrupt authorities, theft, espionage, prostitution, executions and more. Game of Thrones seems sunnier than 18th century Europe.

One of the great feats of The Wolf and the Watchman is the painstaking description of this decadent world and the many careful political details which are embroidered along the page. This is, after all, a Europe in the grip of the French Revolution, and Sweden is still reeling from the effects of a failed war against Russia. Unlike other books which may be set in the past, but where the characters act like modern people, everyone in The Wolf and the Watchman feels like they belong in this era of wigs and spies, chamber pots and dung caking the streets.

The other element that makes the narrative tick is the presence of Mickel Cardell and Cecil Winge. Polar opposites — Cardell is strong and physical, while Winge is cerebral and frail — they come together because they have an innate sense of justice, and because they have nothing to lose. Two other characters — a teenage would-be doctor and an orphan girl dragged to a workhouse — eventually collide with Cardell and Winge, and while they provide interesting and gut-churning points of views, it is Cardell and Winge who ultimately ground the tale.

In a world gone mad, they are two beacons of decency and sanity, and yet they both exist at the edges of society. But how long can they continue their quest — and will they even get close to solving the mystery at the heart of the novel? The answer to this question tinges the book with an edge of anxiety, while its clever structure urges the reader forward.

A bit of Patrick Süskind's The Perfume and a bit of Sherlock Holmes, this wolf has some bite to it.
Set in 18th century Sweden, parallel to the French Revolution/Reign of Terror, The Wolf and the Watchman is a historical murder mystery, and oh, what a grisly murder it is!
The author sets the scene in exquisite detail, richly describing the stench, squalor, misery and hope of a barely surviving working class.  Through the vivid descriptions, readers can feel the bleakness of the era an experience the dampness invading their bones.  Characters and scenes are artistically painted as the author exquisitely links separate story lines to create the completion of the puzzle.  He has us rooting for each and every character as no one is without struggle nor unworthy of some redemption.  The interleaving of the stories is expertly crafted and every gory detail of life and death is explicitly and richly described….possibly to excess for some tastes.
This is a book you can’t put down.  Resolution of the strife of each character and their relation to the resolution of the murder makes this a gripping read.  In addition to this well crafted tension, what kept me going was sheer hope that some level of happiness would find each of these poor souls.
While the conditions as depicted can be very depressing, the perseverance of each victim, each in their own way, delivers a poignant testament to the depth of the human spirit.
Rating 4.5 out of 5
An evocative historical murder mystery that reminded me not just of Patrick Süskind's Perfume but also in some ways of Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose in its sense of history and place, and a dogged search for truth. Set in 1793, this was the time of the French Revolutionand a period of political and economic tumult in Sweden. The year before King Gustav III had been assassinated and the restlessness of the European Royal Houses had destabilized Europe. The people of Stockholm were struggling in poverty. Mickel Cardell, a war veteran and amputee who is working as a watchman, and Cecil Winge, an investigative attorney for the Stockholm police who is dying from tuberculosis, make it their goal to find the murderer of a mutilated young man Mickel has fished out of Larder Lake. Though they call him Karl Johan, who was he and why was he so brutally killed (trust me when I say brutal, okay)? Other characters who seem to be involved in the mystery include Kristopher Blix and Anna Stina Knapp, both equally unhappy.

Natt och Dag has created a stunning debut that seems to blend both the Scandinavian love for crime noir and a pitch perfect historical setting. Not for the faint hearted (this is truly a gruesome murder we're talking about) this one comes with abundant trigger warnings. But if you love historical mysteries and crime shows like The Bridge (Bron/Broen) or Forbrydelsen, you're going to be just fine.

TW: murder, mutilation, violence, sexual assault

I received a Digital Review Copy of this book, along with a paper review copy, in exchange for an honest review.
“From a collection of parts all individually worthless, a clockwork is formed that functions anew.”

This guy can write. Many thanks go to Atria Books for the two invitations to read and review as well as the gorgeous hardcover book for review. Happy publication day; this book is available to the public now.

We find ourselves in Stockholm at the end of the eighteenth century; it’s a tense time, with a political backlash resulting from the French Revolution and the fears it excites among those in power. The poor lead miserable lives, and life itself is cheap. There are very few protections in place for the vulnerable.

Mickel Cardell, the one-armed watchman, pulls a corpse—or what’s left of it--out of the Larder Lake. He sends the children that found it to get a cop. One thing leads to another, and then the chief of police, Johan Gustaf Norlin, sends for Cecil Winge.  The two men know one another well.

Winge is the most tragic hero I’ve seen in a long time. He’s dying of consumption (typhus), and he has left his wife because he doesn’t want her to have to watch him die; also, he’s impotent, and it’s painful to walk in on her with another man. Not that he blames her; he’d just prefer not to watch or hear it. He’s an attorney and has all the money he needs, but this is one time that money doesn’t help all that much. His illness prevents him from sleeping well, and he’s inclined to seek a challenge here or there when he can in order to distract himself from his own condition. Norlin has a distraction for him now. Winge reminds him that the last time he helped him with a case, Norlin had promised not to ask again; but Norlin is asking anyway.

The title comes into it when Winge interviews the textile merchant that recognizes the distinctive shroud in which the body was wrapped. The merchant is financially ruined and plans to climb aboard the ship bound for his home and then jump off into cold deep water and die. Before he boards, he points out that man is a lupine hunter, and that Winge himself is well on the way:

“No one can run with the wolf pack without accepting its terms. You have both the fangs and the glint of the predator in your eye…one day your teeth will be stained red and then you’ll know with certainty how right I was. Your bite will be deep. Maybe you will prove the better wolf, Mr. Winge, and on that note I bid you good night.”

The historical setting and characters here are beautifully drawn; for some reason, I like the moments when a character reaches up and yanks his wig off because it’s itchy and it’s driving him nuts. A number of characters are resonant, but Winge—who is perfect for the reader that needs an excuse to just sit down and cry—and Cardell, who holds his own in a fight surprisingly well, even with one arm—are my favorites. It is they, imperfect individually, that together make up the clockwork that functions anew.

Those of us that read a lot of books within the mystery genre (and its many offshoots) see a lot of the same settings and plots almost often enough to create a mystery story using MadLibs. Just fill in the blanks. In contrast, the unique setting, well-developed characters, and bad ass word smithery in this one are a potent combination.

And now I have to admit that for me, it is too potent. There is a great deal of detail about the corpse’s mutilation, and once I pushed my way past it, it came up again and again, because it’s right at the center of the case they are solving. So although for some this mystery will be, as the promotional blurb promises, “deliciously dark,” for me it is far too dark. In fact, I cannot remember ever using the word “shocking” as a descriptor within a review, but I’ll use it now. There are some things that cannot be unread once you have read them. I haven’t had my gut turn over in this way in several years, and I don’t ever want to go there again.
But that’s me. My daughter is not as easily horrified as I am; she may love this book.

Those contemplating purchasing this well-scribed novel should do one thing, and that is to carefully read the promotional description. It does warn the reader. The first time I saw it, I read that blurb and decided not to read it; then I was invited to read and review, and I accepted the widget but declined to sign up for a blog tour in case I couldn’t stand it; but then I was offered a hard copy, and I saw that other reviewers loved it, and my resistance worn down, I caved. Once I had it, I felt like I had to read it even when it was beyond the point of not being a fun read. But if you can read that blurb and are still game, then by all means you should get it, because all of the technical skills that make up an award winning novel are here in spades and the urgency never lets up.

Highly recommended for those that are not even a tiny bit squeamish and have strong literacy skills.
I liked this book more because of the story than the mystery. We are in Sweden in 1793, storm winds ignite Europe starting from France. A mutilated body is found in the water and two men decide to join forces to find out who is the author of that evil crime. The victim reported amputations one after the other, with time in the middle to recover from any surgical operation. This man has gone gradually losing all the limbs.

The book has a particular setting: Personally I read just one historical fiction set in the Nordic countries and it was a romance, and I did not like it so much. What I liked the most, in that case, was the setting. Even in this book the contextualization is Well done and describes a world that is very poor and full of derelict, a world in which people drink continuously or pay for non-true faults.

The protagonists are very characterized, they have their specific features and their personalities, they dialogue with each other in a valid way and that seems naturalistic.  I have not understood Some passages, but this probably depends on my tiredness: The university is hard.
The book is structured in parts and, generally, each part takes into account a different aspect of the matter. As I said before I liked the story more than the mystery, just because of those parts that touched the investigative storyline, which surrounded and created a weaving of facts that would lead to the finding of the body in the water.
A good translation, it gave the idea of the climate that could be found reading the novel in the original language.
A peculiar mystery also in the finale, which leaves a bittersweet feeling.
"Compelling, satisfying, and clever, this book has all the elements of a good mystery, plus a wonderfully complicated, flawed protagonist. "The Wolf and the Watchman "will keep you reading—and leave you wanting more!
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The older I get, the more frustrated I get with “events”, at least in terms of movies.  Don’t really care which Avengers are going to make out whatever Avengers movie is coming out soon.  It’s Marvel; the only character never brought to life is Uncle Ben.    I am also the type of person who hears about the guy who jumps off a cruise ship into the ocean to see if he could do and then says “good” when the cruise ship bans him for life.
	So, there is something wrong with me.  I freely admit this.
	If I get hyped about anything, it is usually a book.  But even then, if the book is hyped, I tend to be well disappointed.  I didn’t love The Girl with Dragon Tattoo and have no desire to read any of the other books.  It’s important you know this before reading this review any further.
	In some ways, The Wolf and the Watchman is being set up as Girl with the Dragon Tattoo meets the Alienist.  It is historical mystery, set in the 1700s in Sweden, largely Stockholm.  There are two oddly paired detectives – the more brilliant if problematic one, and the more physical one.  There is similarity to Holmes and Watson in the characters, though both Cardell and Winge are far earthlier than their Doyle counterparts.  The mystery is part cultural critique but with plenty of creepy bits.
	And yet, there is a sense of it not quite living up to the hype, of a lack of something.  Perhaps it is because the characters are too much like type, perhaps because it is a little too much like every other Swedish mystery (okay, not like Inspector Huss) that gets translated into English, and much like many English mysteries – tortured men, women in need of saving.
	Still, it was an interesting read.