Woman of Courage

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Mar 2019

I found this book by Ms. Brunstetter to be full of adventure, intrigue and strong faith. This is not your normal Amish book that Wanda Brunstetter is known for.
Our main character Amanda Pearson has just been jilted by her fiance, for her best friend. She has decided to give up on romance and join family friends, Rev. And Mrs. Spalding as missionaries to the Nez Perce' Indians. The year is 1837 and the trip is three thousand miles on horseback. Amanda's preacher father is escorting his daughter from New York to this Indian reservation in Oregon. They have hired an experienced guide. Amanda is a very strong courageous young woman, but even she might be overtaken by the elements. She promised her father she would continue on and bring the Bible and Jesus to these Indian people. She is determined to do just that, no matter what the circumstances.
There is something in this book for everyone. It has friendly and hostile Indians. Rain storms, snow storms, and dessert sun. The fear of running out of food and supplies. Her strong faith and dedication keeps her going. There are a couple of very sweet love stories also included, for people liking the historical Christian romance.

I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing through NetGalley. The opinions expressed here are my own.
This is the first full length book that I have read from Brunstetter. I read a novella not too long ago and I have to say that I enjoyed this one even more. This book follows a missionary on a 3,000 trek to witness to Native Indians in the Oregon territory. This story gave me a huge appreciation for the struggles and heart aches the early settlers experienced. I felt the heroine, was a very courageous woman as the the title of the book implies. I also enjoyed the novella sequel that was included in the back of the book. This was an inspirational story and had a bit of romance. The gospel of Christ is shared in a precious way and it was sprinkled all through the book. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys western frontier stories.
*I was given a copy of this book by Barbour Publishing and this is my honest opinion.
Woman of Courage was a good book with well written characters. The main character, Amanda, faced many trials as she traveled west after her fiance decided not to marry her, the evening before the wedding. Most of the story is about her journey west.
Also included was an added short story, kind of an added plus!
I enjoyed this book very much and I have no doubt I will read it again!
A story of courage, faith and friendship that makes you think about your own journey in life. Wanda's writing pulls you into  the story while being thought provoking at the same time.
Hard-to-put-down historical novel about a father and daughter who set out from New York to travel west to the Rocky Mountains to a mission.  Along the way, Amanda gains courage as she faces multiple discouraging and difficult situations.  Amanda's story of grace and love and faith in God encourages the reader as she develops into a "woman of courage" and discovers love along the way.  Great read!
Woman of Courage really shows how talented Wanda Brunstetter is and why she is so popular. I think this novel is probably one of her better works and among my favorite of hers. I loved the main character of Amanda. She is such a strong, admirable, influential and fascinating woman!
I highly recommend Woman of Courage. I am giving it a well deserved five plus stars. It is most definitely not one to be missed.
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
Wanda E Brunstetter may be most well known for her Amish fiction novels, but Woman of Courage is continuing proof that she's mastered the western historical fiction genre as well. What really stood out to me throughout enjoying this title was its focus on extreme faith, and faith that keeps going no matter what circumstances are thrown our way. The young heroine in this novel, Amanda Pearson, doesn't truly know what she's getting herself into when she sets out on a three thousand mile journey to join a mission intent on preaching God's Word to the Indians. Running away from a broken heart, Amanda's sure that being a missionary is God's new plan for her, but along the way she'll literally be brought to rock bottom in her attempt to spread the news of salvation.

While at first glance Amanda may come across as a society girl who doesn't know anything about the dangers of the west. She'll quickly prove everyone wrong in the way she's able to handle everything that's thrown her way, and continue to trust in God's plan for her, even when it seems that everything is crashing down around her. Amanda was a character I found myself rooting for, and her faith demonstrated in this novel was a really good representation of Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." No matter what happens, Amanda knows that God's got this, and she never turns away from Him despite so many obstacles.

As this time period in North American history was not a pretty one, I was grateful that Wanda E Brunstetter stayed true to the times, but did so as nicely and respectfully as possible. I was engaged in the story from start to finish, and I was kept on the edge of my seat as cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger happens from one chapter to the next. And I appreciated just how much growth is shown in the characters from their initial introduction until the conclusion of the story. I honestly don't think this book could have had a more appropriate title as courage is definitely the main character trait demonstrated throughout. Woman of Courage is a fantastic read on its own, and having the addition of the new epilogue, Woman of Hope, about Little Fawn was just the icing on the cake.

I'm once again blown away by Wanda's beautiful writing, her vivid settings, and her compassionate characters that come to feel like old friends by the end of the story. I will be recommending this title, and looking forward to more books from this author in the future.

Final Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Thank you to Barbour Publishing, Shiloh Run Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to advance read this!

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not required to give a positive review.
Determination, bravery, strength, trust and faith are shown in the story of adventures in the wilderness. The main character, a woman, must deal with many obstacles as she travels the roads of the forest, meeting unsavory characters and also, making new friends along the way. Interesting sequel is included in this copy. I received a copy of this book from the author and Net Galley. This is my honest personal opinion. No review was required.
Well done Wanda! That sound you hear is me giving you a slow clap. You have written some great books over the years, but this one is by far my favorite because you stepped it up several notches.

This novel has us facing death, physical abuse, violence, and the peace that only comes from a personal relationship with Jesus.

My takeaway from this novel is when adversity comes, where does your strength come from? We see several responses in Woman of Courage, but until the person learns to trust in God they're swept away by their emotions.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves Francine Rivers novels because the style and reader experience is similar. I would also recommend it to anyone who enjoys fiction about American Indians.
Woman of Courage is definitely not what I was expecting! Wanda Brunstetter has written a wonderfully adventurous story of a young girl bringing God’s word to Native Americans in the 1800’s. During a hazardous 3000 mile journey Amanda Pearson encounters life changing situations that proves she is a Woman of Courage. But the story isn’t just about her. We meet several other courageous women. While Amanda’s plan is to “save” the Nez Perce’  she encounters others during her journey that strengthen her determination but also teach her God has a plan for her too. And it may not be what she thought it was!  I think this might be my favorite Wanda Brunstetter book. Although I was exhausted the story kept me awake long after my bedtime. I couldn’t put it down!
I voluntarily received a copy of this book from Netgalley.
This is not your typical Brunstetter Amish book, make no mistake by me saying this I don't mean I don't like them because I do enjoy them immensely! This is a bit different than her Amish books and her cookbooks. The main character, Amanda Pearson is a woman of deep faith taught to her by her preacher father. After a failed engagement this Quaker woman decides to spread God's word and become a missionary woman to the Indians. Before she gets there her and her traveling mates, her father and a trail guide go through many perilous things including fatalities that leaves Amanda on her own to navigate. Determined to continue on in the wilderness herself she becomes deathly ill before being rescued by an Indian woman married to a white man. They become friends despite not having the same religion and the Indian woman speaking just enough English to get by. I love how I felt as though I was there experiencing the wilderness from the travel,to the descriptions of the herbal medicines,to the clothing type and lodging descriptions. What a wonderfully inspirational writer Brunstetter is! I would love to see more historical books like this by this author!
Pub Date 01 Dec 2018
I was given a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing, Inc. through NetGalley. Thank you. All opinions expressed are my own.
Amanda Pearson has decided to become a missionary to the Nez Perce Indians after a broken engagement.  Her father accompanies her but dies during the journey.  Her guide is killed.  Will she carry on or will she turn back?

This was a good clean historical book.  It moved a little slow which I like something I can't put down when I'm reading, so am not giving it a high rating.
WOMEN, OF COURAGE. Wanda. Brunstetter
Amanda expecting to marry the next day, when Nathan comes by in the evening to speak to her. Traveling west, they would be on their own, without pay,as it was before as a Quaker minister. As a cabinet maker he made, and gave them money for expenses. With the Spaulding, to work along with them to bring Christianity to the Indians, Her trials start on the trail, and she forges ahead, relentless as a missionary in 1837. A realistic look at the life she endures, the heartaches, and hardships she has.
Little Fawn is an Indian child that Amanda found, and tells her story. The love of family and faith in God..
 Given ARC by Net Galley and Barbour for my. voluntary review and my honest opinion.
This  book by Wanda E. Brunstetter was absolutely wonderful!  I have read most of her Amish books and I would say this is my favorite book so far from this author.  It wasn’t Amish, it was about a Quaker woman, Amanda Pearson, who after being left by her fiance, decides to become a missionary in the frontier bringing Indians to Christ.  She begins her 3,000 mile trek in 1837 during the time of frightening Indian attacks and many other hardships common to pioneering people of the early to mid1800’s.

Her trials begin to seem unsurmountable but she forges on till she finds help and friendship.  She is relentless in her missionary goal.  She meets Buck McFadden, a non-believer who she finds herself attracted to.  But her strong Christian convictions will not allow more than a friendly relationship.
Amanda endures many hardships and experiences things she had never imagined she would experience.  The trials are continual and she surely must wonder if her decisions had been right or not.
The title of this book is very appropriate for Amanda as well as other women she encounters.  You really have to admire the women that helped to forge our country.  This was a 5 star book!  Very well done, Wanda!

The Story of Little Fawn (Sequel)
Little Fawn is the Indian daughter  found by Amanda.  This is her story.  It was wonderful.  Little Fawn has some adventures of her own.   This is a story of faith, trust in God and family and love.  It was a great addition to the book!  So happy to have read this as well.  Loved finding out what happens and it was so worth the read.

I received an ebook copy from NetGalley.  All thoughts are my own.
Woman of Courage by Wanda Brunstetter is the fictional story of more than one very brave woman. It begins in Dansville NY in1837 when Amanda Pearson’s fiancé tells her he is in love with her best friend the night before they were to be wed. Amanda and her father are Quakers and decide to travel to Oregon to assist with the Spaulding Mission to bring Christianity to the Indians. Along the way her father passes away from a heart attack and then their guide is killed in an accident. How will Amanda find the courage to continue the journey? Still quite a way from the Mission will she be able to survive on her own in the wilderness?
I really enjoyed this story. The characters are all very strong and so well-written I almost felt like I was there. I have read many of Wanda’s Amish books so this was a change for me. I like the fact that she gives some historical background and information on the beliefs of the Indians we encounter in the story. There is so much hope and trust in God in the story without it being “preachy”. I give this book 5 of 5 stars.
I received an advance copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Wanda Brunstetter never ceases to amaze me! She is a brilliant Amish fiction author, and captivates her readers with each story. This book is a Quaker story, not Amish but her brilliance shines through just the same way. Each page turn brought me closer to the heart of the story, and left me with amazing messages from God. If you want a story that will warm your heart and stay with you for a long time to come, grab this story now. Wanda Brunstetter will not disappoint with this fabulous 5 star read.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was under not obligation to post a review, positive or negative.*
Woman of Courage by Wanda Brunstetter
I love a good novel that is easily read and you feel transported back in time.. That is how I felt with Amanda and all her trials and tribulations. Everything she conquered on her journey in this story.
This is a great book that I enjoyed reading.
I had the chance to read Wanda E. Brunstetter's book about Amanda in exchange for an honest review. The main character is a Quaker woman who travels west with her father after getting her heart broken. The title of the book is so accurate in describing Amanda and many other characters in the book. Amanda's faith is so strong and she is a great evangelist which explains her determination to make it to the Spalding Mission on the other side of the country. She is traveling from New York by boat and horse!
Although I admire the character for her beliefs and strive to spread the gospel of Jesus like she did I found myself thinking she was annoying for the way she talks. She uses thou and thee a lot which made reading many sides of her conversation very tedious. The other characters also are annoyed by it but at that time they aren't Christians. So maybe I need to work on my acceptance of her differences from mine.
Half of the characters come from various tribes of Native American groups. The author informed me in so many ways about their cultures. Many of their common practices and lifestyles were not accepted by white people and deemed harmful. Some of them were harmful but others, such as wearing different clothing and using different names for their children was something special to the Native Americans.
As I near the end of this book review I think one big takeaway I have is the acceptance of other people's choices. The only thing I wish the book had done better is the way of differentiating the Christians' God and his son Jesus from the Great Spirit many Native Americans prayed to. Sure there are similarities to Almighty God and the Native American's god but the author never did explain the importance of knowing that Jesus is our savior and therefore our God is very different from their Great Spirit.
I rate this book a 3 out of 5.
Wonderful series! This book dealt with a Quaker woman's strong faith and her perseverance to travel to the west coast to assist missionaries there to spread the Gospel to the Indians. She endured unbelievable hardship on her journey and never gave up.
Wanda Brunstetter is known for her Amish novels, but her vast knowledge of American history and her deep roots of faith allow her to write about any period of time. She is truly an inspirational writer!
This is a great read. I love how the author makes you feel like you are a part of the story and writes in such a way that you "hear" and "see" all the sounds and action. The bonus story of Little Fawn was also really good.  This is a book that you just have to find out what happens next, but you don't want it to end. You won't regret getting this book. Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. It was awesome!! This is my honest opinion.