The Golden Tresses of the Dead

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Mar 2019

I did not enjoy this book.  The only reason I finished it was to be able to give an accurate review.
Sadly this one fell a little flat for me. As a long-time admirer of the series, it pains me to say it but I found that this book just seemed to pile the elements of the series (chemistry, precociousness, Dogger) into the book but without the charm and endearing nature of the previous books. I had to work to get through it. It's never taken me two months to get through a Flavia de Luce book; I'm lucky if I can make it last a week.
The Golden Tresses of the Dead is the tenth (!!) book in the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. Released 22nd Jan 2019 by Penguin on their Delacorte imprint, it's 352 delightful pages and available in hardcover, paperback, ebook, and audio formats.

Flavia is a force of nature. For readers who are unfamiliar with the series, she's a precocious, sometimes ghoulish, chemistry obsessed 12 year old (at this point in the series), who uses her prodigious intellect (and her brawny family retainer Dogger) to solve crimes.

The premise could so easily tip over into maudlin or saccharine cutesy. It balances on the knife edge throughout and Flavia (and Dogger) are -so- readable and engaging that any new addition to the series is a cause for jubilation. By the 10th book, a lot of series' quality control seems to go out the window, sadly. This series has maintained a high standard throughout and in my opinion, The Golden Tresses of the Dead turned out to be one of my favorites.

Since it's the latest book in a fairly large series, I would recommend some familiarity before reading this book. There's a lot of background info and character development which have gone before which won't be understood without picking up at least some of the previous installments. It's not an absolute requirement of course, the author's skillful enough to make each of these books a self contained read, but the experience will undoubtedly be enhanced.

Five stars. This is probably my current favorite mystery series, bar none.
Thank you very much for allowing me the opportunity to read this book!  I appreciate the kindness.
One of my favorite amateur sleuths, I have followed Flavia over the years and watched her grow as a young detective. It's nice to see Dogger having more of a presence in her life now that they have formed a discreet investigative agency in the last book of the series. Sad to see Flavia go but hoping there will be a new series based on the new duo, Flavia and Dogger.
I love the Flavia de Luce series and all of the wonderful characters, especially Miss Flavia and Dogger.  I really don't think Mr. Bradley can do any wrong with this series.  Love it, love it, love it!
I have been a big fan of this series every since I found the first one at the library. I eagerly await each new book because the world of Flavia de Luce is enchanting.  The mysteries are always fun, suspenseful and I feel like I learn a little something. While I still very much enjoyed the new book in the series it very much felt like a transition book. And because it felt more like a bridge between the pervious books and whatever comes next I didn't find it quite as compelling.  The mystery was intriguing but I found the supporting characters a little shallow.  Will definitely keep reading the series but my expectations will be set a little lower.
The Flavia de Luce series strides on; the series, to me, continues from strength to strength, especially in the development of Flavia from a sort of Ramona the Pest lead into a more self-aware young woman who continues to reflect upon and carve out her place in Bishop's Lacey and the the world at large.  On that note, I'm also glad we're getting less of Ophelia and Daphne (and a bit more of Undine) as the animosity between the sisters always struck a sour note with me.  The mystery, as they tend to be in the series, is a bit loose around the edges so if you want a tight, procedural this may not be a great choice.  A strong recommend.
I can't believe it's been 10! I feel like I know Flavia. I've cried and laughed reading past books. This one is no different. I loved it.
Thank you for extending the ARC of "The Golden Tresses of the Dead" to me -- I was unable to finish this book before it expired, so I plan to purchase a copy and read it Thank you anyway!
This was a new cozy series to me and unfortunately it is the last in series. It was delightful in many ways, wonderfully quirky and humorous.
 Flavia is growing up fast after the death of her father. Now her oldest sister getting married, She and her good  friend  Dogger are busy  and excited to  set up their own investigative agency. Something  in Bishop's Lacey is not altogether right and when a finger appears in the wedding cake she is delighted to investigate. . Her and Dogger are a great team and soon clues abound . This was a fun read, a really cute  book I enjoyed reading .  it has quirky charcters and fun repartee. I look forward to exploring the earlier books in the series. Thank you for the ARC which does not influence my review.
I was provided a ARC in exchange for a honest review.

I can't say enough how much I love this series.  Everything you love in a book. This one is especially funny, odd, and pungent.
Love Flavia and this series!  Mr. Bradley created another gem to this story. I adore reading about this family and the mystery in each book.
The Flavia de Luce series is one of my favorites to get lost in.  I love the character, her interactions, reactions, and personality are so real. The mystery is always engaging and the solution is unexpected.

The only criticism that I am noticing lately is that in the last few books, she doesn't seem to be the leading force for the detection.  She seems to be getting replaced by Dogger.  She is deferring to him more and more.  She seems to be losing the voice that makes these books a "must-read".  I hope she rediscovers her confidence before the next mystery.
Gladys is well-oiled and quietly carrying Flavia around Bishop's Lacey for another adventure. These books haven't lost any of their magic for me. I adore the slowly aging Flavia, girl detective and chemist who now has some respectability for all her nosiness by partnering with Dogger in an investigation business. And Dogger's continued good health, after suffering so much during the war, is a wonderful sight to see. Things are changing at Buckshaw, with Flavia's sister Ophelia marrying Dieter at last. With all the hubbub of the wedding and reception, it's easy for Flavia to try to gaslight Ophelia into thinking she didn't really see a finger in the wedding cake during their first cut. The finger leads to several threads of sleuthing for Flavia and Dogger. A trip to Brookwood cemetery, with its' military section was interesting--my grandmother's cousin is buried there. Although the family is changing, Undine makes her presence known in the household even as Flavia's other sisters take on more reserved roles.
I have been a fan of Flavia de Luce series because I am fond of the young, plucky, and bright protagonist! However, this novel didn’t thrill me. The mystery was very simple, predictable, and mostly in the background. Still, I adored Flavia and her companion Dogger. I also love how the novel begins at a wedding and had a light-hearted feel to it. However, I just wish the mystery was more well-done as the other novels in the series. Still, I recommend this for those that love cozy mysteries.
“Aside from that – except for the human remains – it was a beautiful occasion.” Flavia de Luce is at it again!  This time her investigation begins due to the presence of the afore-mentioned human remains compromising her sister Ophelia’s wedding cake.   It is also the first investigation for the newly minted Arthur W. Dogger and Associates investigative business.  Flavia and Dogger set about their inquiry and uncover a sordid business involving alternative medicine and the charlatans that often peddle such snake oil “cures.”

I’m a fan of this series as Flavia de Luce is as engaging as she is precocious.  However, after the events of the last book (The Grave’s A Fine and Private Place) I worried that Flavia’s irrepressible spirit wouldn’t recover.  It’s lovely to see the continuing adventures of Flavia (and Dogger) as this intrepid duo prove all mysteries can be solved given time, logic and a scientist’s method of inquiry.   As Flavia is quite young there is a part of me that sincerely hopes we continue to see more from author Alan Bradley.  I would dearly love to see Flavia’s character as she grows and matures.
Golden Tresses of the Dead opens with the wedding of Flavia’s sister Ophelia.   As typical in the life of Flavia, it does not go as planned.  It was going along well enough until when cutting the cake, Ophelia screams, turns pale and has to be escorted away.  Flavia makes her way quickly to the wedding cake, only to discover a human finger!  And with that, the next adventure of Flavia de Luce is underway.

It’s been a little bit of time since I read my last Flavia novel, but it’s like stepping back into a comfortable pair of shoes.  I love everything about these books, even though I am usually confused through most of them, only figuring things out at the very end.

In this story, Flavia (not your average 12 year old girl) has set up shop with Dogger, the estate gardener (not your average gardener) for investigations.  Even the local constable has to grudgingly accept their help.  They are quick on their feet, observant, and hyper intelligent.

As with all they other novels, this one did not disappoint.  It’s part cozy mystery, part chemistry lesson, and filled with dry humor.

I received an ARC of the book.
Oh god, I love this series so much I don't think I can be an impartial reviewer for a single book. It probably wasn't the best book in the series, but it had everything that makes Flavia de Luce great.  I wouldn't recommend it as a stand alone book, you definitely need to read the others first. So as the series continues to grow longer they're becoming a bit more niche I think. Definitely one of the best series out there though.
Another good, rollicking mystery with Flavia. Very similar to all of the other books in the series, but we get to see Flavia and Dogger work more together. I love reading their back and forth while trying to solve the case. The book also sets up Undine to become more involved as a member of Dogger and Associates.