The Ash Family

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Apr 2019

The Ash family

When nineteen-year-old Berie encounters a mysterious man on her way to take a bus to a college she never wanted to attend, she received more than what she bargained for. The promise of a fulfilling life away form the fake world we live in now. She is taken to the Ash Farm; were there lives a family living off the grid and surviving off the fertile land. Berie changes her name to Harmony and renounces her old life to please the leaders of the farm. As she becomes more comfortable with the family certain friends start disappearing with no reason as why.

The ideal of cults have always sparked my curiosity. I’ve always wondered how do cults form and how does one person have so much influence over another? In the Ash Family that question is never answered. There was so much description in this book, yet nothing was happening. I was hoping that I was going to be swooned over Dice the cult leader and want to join that cult long after finishing the book. But Dice never game me a reason to want to trust him or even like him.

Our protagonist wasn’t either likable or detestable kind of like her personality. She would love being there one moment and, in another moment, question her existence. None of the cult leaders seemed charming or could convince anyone of joining the cult. It was as if Berie was such a naïve person and lived such a sad life prior to meeting the Ash family. But, she didn’t. The worst thing that made her want to escape life was her mom loved to collect niknacks and her ex-boyfriend was somewhat of a vegetarian squatter turned photographer. There was no true motive as so why Berie felt she needed to join the cult so bad. Berie would be asked to do things that didn’t even make sense. She was convinced immediately to go with a strange guy, live with people that treated her with zero trust and in no moment rebel or question anything anyone one ever did as long as she felt accepted.

The story unfolds with no intrigue, with lots of description of farming and herding sheep and agriculture. There was no crazy plot twist, there was no doubt as to what intentions each person had. Everyboy was transparent and one dimensional. Also, for a cult that hides someone away from society, I felt that her mom didn’t seem too worried that for 2 years her daughter was disappeared. The book doesn’t make it a point to let us know that she was that type of mother. The book as very clear that she was the type of mom that wanted a better life for her child so college is the way to go, and for that Berie was resentful.

The ending was nothing unexpected. It just left the reader asking so much like, was the Ash family religious? They sung songs but many times I couldn’t tell who they were singing to, how did they form? How long have they been a cult? I wanted to know so much more that could have been included in the novel as opposed to the excessive description of farm life.  The novel lacked layers. It went at a fast pace, but nothing really happens. There is a lot of insinuations, where the reader had to guess “well I guess that happened”. If you are interested in a book that submerges you in the cult life, this book will not fulfill your inquiries.
{My Thoughts}
What Worked For Me
A Girl Lost – Even though I sometimes found Berie/Harmony incredibly flawed, I also found her very endearing. Not every high school graduate is ready for college come September. Some need time and space to figure out what they want from life and Berie epitomized that young person. Her single mom had big dreams of Berie getting further in life than she had and college was her solution. Isaac, Berie’s boyfriend, pushed her to start her real life and to do so in college. Yet, Berie was only going through the motions, sensing at her core that college wasn’t going to give her what she was looking for. The bigger problem was that Berie didn’t really know what that was. She cared about the environment, but more than anything, she just wanted to feel like she really belonged somewhere. So, when a stranger approached her at a bus station and offered her a respite from the life she was leading, Berie jumped at it. All she had to do to really belong was learn that there was no self; there was just the family. And, Berie had to learn to follow “the rules.”

“My eyes filled with tears. I wondered if my mother had limited me or betrayed me or let me down. Not exactly, not specifically, but that didn’t make Dice’s grip on my shoulder any less true, and I began to forget how much I loved the flecks of rainbow twirling off those diamond earrings, my inheritance from her, her love of small beauties.”

An Off-the-Grid Community – I found the setting of The Ash Family incredibly appealing. To begin with, a self-sustaining farm in a mountain holler provided a rich background for “Harmony’s” new life. As she learned about the rigors of caring for cows and sheep, growing crops, surviving harsh winters and reveling in the abundance of summer, so too did the reader. Then, just as Harmony learned about the philosophies of the Ash family’s charismatic leader, so did the reader. As she struggled to understand what life in the Ash family meant, so too did I.

Queen – Of all the characters in The Ash Family, I most appreciated Queen. Another young woman adopted into the family, Queen somehow had held onto parts of her own life. She was ashamed of her past and remained devoted to the family, but she also questioned the rules and even stood up to them.

What Didn’t
Incredible Naivety – As much as I liked Berie/Harmony, her willful naivety became frustrating because it seemed too unreal. So much happened around the farm that Harmony just accepted without question. She seemed like too smart a girl to turn a blind eye as often as she did. Even the fact that she didn’t want to go to college, but hadn’t talked about it with her mom felt so unlikely. Dektar provided reasoning for these things, but I had a hard time buying into those reasons as often as Dektar asked me to.

Too Little Character Development – Other than Queen, the reader never really learned much about the other members of the Ash family, outside of their interactions with Harmony. Understanding the leader, Dice, and his right-hand man, Bay, might have provided a little more balance to the story.

The First 20% – If you plan to read The Ash Family, be prepared to keep going through the very slow start to Berie/Harmony’s story. I nearly DNF’d it, but trapped on a plane, I kept going. I’m very glad I did! Once Berie’s story finally began to come together I was much more engaged and eager to discover where debut author Molly Dektar was taking me.

{The Final Assessment}
As you can already tell, I both liked and didn’t like parts of The Ash Family. Sometimes it rambled and Berie’s lack of clarity throughout grew frustrating. By the end I wondered if she had really grown or even learned much about herself. Still, I enjoyed being along for her unusual journey and found myself still concerned for her after the book had ended. This is the rare novel where I might have liked an epilogue! Grade: B

Note: I received a copy of this book from Simon & Schuster (via NetGalley) in exchange for my honest review. Thank you!
When I read the synopsis of The Ash Family - young woman leaves her family to join a cult - I thought, “I’m in!”  But I imagined it coming together in a totally different way.  I’m sure my expectations colored my experience with this book.  I think I kept wanting it to be the book I imagined.  Let me be clear, I did get an undeniably well written book about a young woman who had a desperate need to for acceptance and belonging, who I ended up developing a great dislike for by the end of the book.  Which is probably my own issue - I don’t like to read about characters who don’t stand up for themselves and make poor choices to please others.  But to the author’s credit, only good writing can elicit such strong feelings.  If I had a shorter TBR list, I might revisit this book at a different time and in a different head space.  I recently saw this compared to The Girls by Emma Cline (which I also did not connect with) and I most certainly see the similarities.  So if you liked The Girls and you enjoy well written books, I’d urge you to give this a try!
Berie is unsure of what path to follow with her life. She seeks something more meaningful, something more essential, but she hasn't any idea of what that is until she meets enigmatic Bay at a bus station near her home in North Carolina. Bay promises Berie the life she's been imagining, on a farm cut-off from the rest of the world, where they live communally, fully off the grid.

"This was the real world, he explained, and if I stayed I'd get a real-world name to replace my fake-world one. He said I would come to understand that there was no definite self: in the Ash family there was no selfishness, so there were no possessions, no children, no couples."

Bay tells Berie that she can stay for three days or the rest of her life. The Ash Family Farm seems to be the solution she needs, so she changes her name to Harmony and settles in. And as different as life on the farm is from anything else she's experienced, anything else she's been used to, she finally feels a part of something, and begins making friends.

But like anything that seems perfect, life on the farm isn't quite that. More and more, Harmony starts to question things that are happening to her friends. She knows she needs to leave yet this is the first place she's truly felt she belonged, so can she ignore the warning signs she sees? When does belief change into brainwashing, when does devotion turn to fear?

The Ash Family is an interesting exploration of life in a cult, and how, once you begin to see things as they really are, you sometimes can't seem to decide between whether to stay or whether to go. Do we pay attention to the truth in front of our own eyes, or do we disbelieve the things we see? Is the feeling of belonging enough to overcome the misgivings we have?

There was an underlying sense of tension in this book that Molly Dektar really teased out quite well. While I found certain things about the book frustrating, such as a lack of character development in some cases, and not as much weight to the plot as I wanted, I was taken in particular by Dektar's evocative use of imagery. Her description of things was so vivid, poetic almost, that I felt like I could see things she mentioned very clearly.

This book reminded me in some ways of the independent film Martha Marcy May Marlene, starring Elizabeth Olsen and John Hawkes. That movie, too, talked about a cult with an enigmatic leader, and also left me with more questions than answers. But even with its shortcomings, this is an interesting story, one that will definitely keep me thinking long after I've moved on to other books.

NetGalley and Simon & Schuster provided me an advance copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making this available!
This is a story about a cult set in Asheville, North Carolina and how a girl on her way to college ends up joining the cult named The Ash Family.
This one is out on April 9, 2019.

Beryl (later also known as Harmony) has no interest in attending college and has trouble  getting along with her mother. So, having just broken up with Isaac, her boyfriend, she meets Bay, a member of the family, who is on the lookout for new members. He influences Berie to join him and she tags along. She is treated rudely and coldly by all the members, who do not trust her and the suspense of if she stays or leaves keeps the story going.

I have mixed feelings about this book. Sure, the drama over will she/won't she kept me going, but there was no substantial reason as to why Berie would keep living with the family as against civilization. Her character did not come across as well established, as did the other family members. On the plus side, the wholesome country description made me want to visit a nature's retreat and be among the mountains and rivers. At the end, it makes you want to question the very basic yet profound question: What are you looking to achieve or get to in life?

Thank you to NetGalley and Simon and Schuster for a free galley of the book in exchange for an honest review
2.5 stars.

This was interesting enough that I made it all the way through — though there were multiple moments when I told myself I would just finish one more chapter then DNF and move on — but maybe I've just read too many stories about cults and communes? Because this one had no impact whatsoever; I wasn't invested in any of the characters, or the setup. Beryl/Harmony is naive and lost, with a desire for a family that should be relatable, but for some reason I just couldn't muster much sympathy for her despite being almost exactly the same age and similarly feeling a bit adrift.

A lot is packed into these pages, and I felt like consequently none of it was given due weight. The philosophy isn't really explained ("Get relativity" still doesn't make sense to me), and even accounting for brainwashing and dissociation this felt more like a thought experiment than a novel.
Cult story.  Hovering over the landscape like the helicopter that periodically appears, I want to warn Beryl away from the Ash Family, its creepy leader, and even more overtly creepy members.  I want to send her back to her mother and her boyfriend, back to the bus where she was bound for college, and tell her just to hang on for a little while longer;  she will sort out her way in the real/fake world.

But instead, Harmony, as she is known in the family, falls for the lure of charismatic men who will tell her exactly what to do.  Harmony’s self-immolation is excruciatingly painful as she reflects on her former life, and tries to wrap her head around her life in the Ash Family.  Always on the verge of leaving, Harmony is always yearning for the family’s acceptance.

I was interested in this book due to the blurb. Once I started it seemed kinda slow and I wasn't sure I would finish it, but I'm glad I stuck with it. This book describes a young woman who ends up joining a cult. It describes how members of cults are impacted by groupthink and paranoia of the outside world. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
The Ash Family by Molly Dektar is a quandary of a novel. On one hand I read it with the awkward zeal of an individual trying not to view gruesome carnage while on the other I felt nothing but repugnance, mostly, for the main character.

I realize that it’s not always necessary to like the main character, but in a story about a teenager being lost and joining a cult disguised as a commune, it feels necessary. Despite her affection for animals and nature, Beryl/Berie/Harmony feels more like an automaton, trying to make people like her than an actual person with feelings and empathy, or sympathy, for that matter. Her apathetic feelings toward a mother who seems to be trying to do everything for her daughter seems cold. If it weren’t for her caring for animals, I’d be pretty quick to label her as a sociopath for her emotionless dealings with the people around her. She lusts after Bay, the man who manipulated her and preyed upon her, who brought her to the Ash family by seduction, but that seems to be her sole emotional vulnerability. I would say that she was brain-washed, but her behavior does not show significant change to warrant that label.

In a typical novel, Queen, a former drug user who Bay picked up during her lowest point, probably would have been the “heroine.” She has desires and feelings that the reader can relate to. She sees with clear vision what is going on around her and cannot totally subjugate herself to Dice, the main man. Harmony feels superior to Queen. Harmony feels that she is the good girl. But it’s Queen who shows hope.

As for the beliefs of this particular family/cult, I was stymied. Infrequently (if at all) do we read about people who care about the environment using warfare as their means of action. Using climate change as the catalyst for violence seemed wrong and out-of-character. Maybe that’s just hope on my part.

There are several scenes that are not for the faint of heart, especially for this vegetarian, animal-loving reader. Others might have different reactions.

Dektar’s writing is wonderful, however. Her descriptions are detailed and fluid, demonstrating an ear for rhythmic, flowing prose. Her words paint beautiful pictures when she’s describing the environment of the southern Appalachia.

As for the wolves and mountain lions roaming in the mountains near Asheville, NC, I wondered if this was a metaphor.

The Ash Family is a page turner, no doubt. I read it, completely spellbound for most of it (not the gruesome parts, which almost made me stop reading), in a day. To me, that always says a lot about a book. My major complaint is that Harmony was not a likable character where I felt she needed to be. I wish the cult had been formed around something other than climate change. The writing was excellent. That sums it up.

After that, you can judge for yourself if you think that this is a book that you might like to read.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Teenager Berie makes a snap decision to get in a car with a stranger named Bay. Her life will never be the same as she is pulled into the web of a charismatic cult leader who runs an off-the-grid farm. A jarring and thought-provoking story of exploiting vulnerability and highlighting how easily someone can get sucked into mind games and manipulative tactics of a madman.

*will post in additional online venues upon publication.
Book Review: The Ash Family
Author: Molly Dektar
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: April 9, 2019
Review Date: April 4, 2019

From the blurb:
“When a young woman leaves her family—and the civilized world—to join an off-the-grid community headed by an enigmatic leader, she discovers that belonging comes with a deadly cost, in this lush and searing debut novel.”

This is an extraordinary debut novel from a writer from North Carolina, which is where this story takes place. For a good portion of the novel, I thought I was reading a memoir, until I looked again, and saw that it’s a work of fiction.

The characters in this book are some of the most detailed and believable characters I’ve read in a novel. Particularly, Berie/Harmony, the protagonist. And Dice, the “family” leader, as the antagonist. I have participated in a number of cults over the course of my life. I think there’s just something from a very young age that fascinated me about institutional environments. I had an intense desire to attend West Point starting when I was eight years old after reading one of those West Point novels. I am 66, so West Point was not open to women around the time I went to college, or I believe I would have given my most to be able to attend there.

Given my background with cult membership, I thought the author was writing a memoir, because she described life in a cult so accurately. The obedience to the leader figure; the strange and abnormal ideas followers come to accept as true; the strong groupthink; the ostracization and cruelty when a member stepped out of line; the paranoia about the world outside the cult was so on-point. All these things I have experienced, and were part of this story, so kudos to the author for getting cult attributes right.

The descriptions of nature were just beautiful. The “family” lived in the deeply isolated woods of North Carolina, and spent all their hours working to sustain themselves with animals and planting. Plus her descriptions of the surrounding woods, streams and animals were breathtaking. So much of the language and imagery were just stunning.

The plot arc’d tightly. I felt so much underlying tension and fear as the story progressed, all the way through the climax and resolution of violence, death and destruction.

I highly, highly recommend this novel. 5+ stars! I can’t wait to read what Molly Dektar writes next.

Thank you to Simon & Schuster for allowing me an early look at this superlative work of fiction.

This review will be posted on NetGalley, Goodreads and Amazon.

#netgalley #simon&schuster #theashfamily #mollydektar
Berie had felt lost and out of place in her own life, so when she met Bay on the way to attend college for a future she didn't even want, it was easy to follow him. She joined the collective family that he was part of and became Harmony. There were no possessions, no relationships, no children, no sense of self separate from that of the Ash Family, which was led by Dice. Dice was charismatic and held sway over them all.

This is an interesting concept for a plot and a wonderful first novel. I don't like Berie, and as a weak-willed character practically asking for others to tell her what to do and how to think, she's not the usual character I prefer to read about. But there's a fascination here, and the way her thoughts twist about and bend under others' points of view is brilliantly done. There are also important questions hovering around the edges of the novel and Berie/Harmony's consciousness: what lengths should people go to fight off conglomerates intent on destroying nature? What makes up a family? What is the best balance between individuality and communal living?

I never really connect well with Berie because while she's the reader's way into the collective of the Ash Family, she doesn't really affect change. Others affect her, push her, change how she thinks about the nature of the real world and what her purpose truly is. I feel almost as if she's an unreliable narrator as a result, which is a really tricky thing to pull off well. Here, it's not necessarily Berie's fault, but that everyone around her is willing to lie to get what they want from her. Their pasts are stories that change depending on who tells it or are actively being rewritten because Dice tells them that there's no point to living in the past. This aspect of Berie never really changes from the beginning to the end of the novel, so it almost feels unfinished in a way. There is a lot that happens over the course of the novel, and it draws me in throughout all of it. I'm just not sure I like anyone in the book at all.
I must admit that during the first 25% of this book, I contemplated putting it down and DNFing it. I normally find these types of scenarios fascinating but for some reason I just did not click with this main character, Berie. I felt like she was overly naïve and a bit stupid if I’m being perfectly honest. Who in their right mind would go off with a random guy they met at a bus stop to join his off-the-grid commune in the mountains?! Especially considering the way this guy is described. He sounds super dirty, and a bit slimy. At one point, it was described in detail that his pants are basically water proof because they are never washed and are incredibly grimy. And his feet smell like vinegar. Yeah… no thanks. And yet, Berie seems to idolize him and almost falls in love with him at first sight.
When Berie arrives on the farm, she is told not to talk about the past… the “fake world” as they call it. Everyone has left their “fake world” name behind and have been given a new name by the man who created this family, Dice. Everyone works for the good of the family. Berie, now called Harmony, is put in charge of taking care of the sheep. She tries to gain the trust of both Bay and Dice so she can go on one of their protests. So many crazy things happen that make you really wonder why anybody agreed to live there. Everyone shares everything. Clothes, beds, partners, etc. No couples. No children. No leaving unless given a task or permission.
I was bit underwhelmed by the ending. Shit hits the fan but then it seems to end just as quickly as it began. I felt like the ending could have been drawn out a little more but I don’t want to say how because that would give it away. Overall, I’m kind of in the middle on this book. I didn’t not like it, but I also didn’t really like it. If you are interested in cults and commune type scenarios you might be interested in reading this book.
The Ash Family wasn't what I was expecting. In the beginning, we have Beryl, but by the end we have Harmony. Or is it Beryl again? I'm going to say neither, but that's my own opinion. Harmony went through quite a lot during her stay with the complex Ash family, and at the end of tenacious times, you never end up being the same person you were before or during.

I enjoyed this book even though it left me confused. One moment I like Harmony, and then the next I didn't. Which makes her an interesting and realistic character. All of the characters in The Ash Family are multi-faceted in a way. You never quite know what you're getting from some of them, and the others whose personality you pegged from the beginning, you either love them or hate them.

Overall, I really liked this one.
This is an impressive debut about a young woman seeking she knew not what who found a cult which fancied itself as a family.  Berie didn't want to go to college- she didn't get on the plane- and when she ran into Bay, she totally bought into his idea of a family off the grid.  Little did she know or understand what that might mean.  What it might mean when Dice, the leader, made certain pronouncements.  What it might mean when Queen became pregnant.  What it might mean when an "action" went sour or when the family all got sick at once.  Framed by the seasons, this is oddly strongest when it describes Berie - renamed Harmony- and her sheep or the other things necessary to keep the family alive.  Berne's boyfriend Isaac is not a particularly strong character (and minor quibble- how did Harmony know it was Valentine's Day when there are no calendars?). Regular readers of literary fiction will recognize the MFA influence in the early parts of this well written novel but that eventually falls away as Dektar gets deeper into the story.  Thanks to the publisher for the ARC.  This one will make you feel Berie slowly become Harmony and slowly lose herself to the cult. A very good read.
Thanks to NetGalley, Simon and Schuster, and Molly Dektar for the opportunity to read and review her debut novel.  3.5 stars for a good read and a new author to watch for!

Berie is headed off to college; her mother sold family jewelry in order to help pay her way.  But she can't make herself get on the plane.  At a bus stop, she meets Bay, a mysterious, seductive man who convinces her to come to the Ash Family Farm with him.  Cut off from her boyfriend, her mother, and her life, her name is changed to Harmony and she settles into the commune, run by a man called Dice.  But all is definitely not peace and love.  There are many rules and danger to those who break them or leave.

I'm always fascinated with stories of cults - history is ripe with stories of seemingly smart individuals who get sucked into following a charismatic individual and end up losing their lives in one way or another.  This story was a peek into communal living and how people change in that environment.  But I was never quite as connected to the story as I wanted to be - still a good read.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC. How I obtained this book does not influence my review in any way.

I wanted to like this book, I really did... but at about 15% in I lost interest. If you hit that point in a book, it's hard to recover. I had a hard time with the main character, I didn't connect with her. The writing style was not my favorite. For some reason it just didn't pull me into the story the way I hoped it would. I know this book has its perfect reader, but sadly I'm not it... at least not right now.
I went into this book expecting a captivating cult story and boy did it not really deliver. This book for me was 2 stars up until the end, which pushed it over into 3 stars. The main issue for me was the protagonist. There were times when I was just shaking my head at her naivete and stupidity. It took no time at all for her to drop out of college and join this cult. While other characters did question set rules and things within the cult (a big saving grace otherwise I might have demoted another star) the main character known as Berie/Harmony did not. I know she was supposed to be a young teenager, malleable and striving for acceptance to the point of being willing to do anything, but I just couldn't buy it. Another difficulty I had was with Dice. I felt as if we didn't really get a good character explanation of who he was or why he was so captivating. I just didn't connect with why all of these people were so willingly following him to begin with. All in all, the book pretty much dragged the whole time and I couldn't believe our protagonist was still in the cult. The ending picked up a little, and I found myself pretty invested.

Short review: Read this book if you want a slow-paced, cult fiction with not much at stake. If you're in this for the extremely twisted cult with the charismatic leader, don't bother.

I received an advanced copy of the book via NetGalley. This does not impact my review.
The Ash Family tells the story of a disaffected young woman who was pressured to go to college who really needed a gap year to figure out what she wanted. She doesn’t get on the plane to school and is soon picked up by a young man who invites her to join him with his family on a farm. The reader quickly realizes he is a cult recruiter and this won’t end well, but we’re seeing it all through her perspective and at first, it is wonderful. She feels a sense of purpose in her life for the first time.

Of course, it is not what she expected. She has a lot of work, hard work. The community reinforces its norms with peer pressure and with accountability sessions similar to the struggle sessions of the Chinese revolution, deeply humiliating, psychological torture that continues until a person breaks under the pressure of communal disapproval. We, as readers, can see the way the leader and the members of the commune enforce a new social order and strip away the past.

I liked The Ash Family quite a bit. It gave us a good depiction of how the self can be broken by a cult. We also saw how doubt and disquiet can grow and be fostered. Harmony was ripe for recruitment because she had no goals for her future. I also like the ambiguity at the end. Dektar excels at describing the land, with active and colorful language that makes it all come alive. This is an emotionally compelling book that offers us very contrasting characters from the charismatic leader to the enigmatic recruiter and from the indomitable Queen to the pliable Harmony. The characters are credible and complex, making for a very compelling story.

The Ash Family will be released April 9th. I received an e-galley from the publisher through NetGalley.

The Ash Family at Simon & Schuster
Molly Dektar on Instagram
Thank you NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for an advanced readers copy of this book.  I was really excited about this book as the subject of cults fascinates me.  Unfortunately this book was lacking.  I found I did not care about the characters or the purpose of the cult.  I do not think I will remember this book in a few days.