The Mother-in-Law

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Apr 2019

I didn't really care for this .  Seemed to go on and on for too long.

Thank you St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the digital ARC.
This was a such a fun thriller! As someone who is about to get married, this was a great book based on the tension that can happen between a daughter-in-law and her mother-in-law. The character development was excellent and it felt like the characters actually head depth. I loved reading the story and guessing where it was going. I was definitely caught off by the ending, and was glad it kept me on my toes. Though, I did think the ending was a little rushed and I would have liked a few extra chapters - I definitely could have kept reading. Overall, a great read. I highly enjoyed it.
I loved this book. I thought it might be kind of a cliched sociopathic mother-in-law from hell book, but although Lucy and Diana had some problematic aspects to their relationship, the story was actually richly layered and nuanced. The transitions among the many time periods were handled deftly, with the story of Diana's youth as fascinating and compelling as those that took place in the more recent past or in the present. The characters were for the most part likable, or at least the reader could understand and sympathize with what made them who they were. I've become quite a fan or Sally Hepworth books and I think this is one of her best. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an e-ARC of this book.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. I have heard a lot about this book and it's on a lot of "to read" lists, so I was excited to dig in. To be honest, it takes a lot for a thriller to enthrall me, but I immediately was hooked by this one. The characters seemed more human and nuanced than other books of this genre. I enjoyed how the author peeled back the layers of Lucie and Diana's relationship. My suspicions about the big reveal changed over and over again throughout the book, as I suppose they should have. I never was really convinced of the ending until I read it myself. Always the mark of a good thriller. Overall I definitely recommend for fans of this genre.
The Mother-in-law was perhaps my favorite book that Sally Hepworth has written. I was completely invested in Lucy the daughter-in-law and Diana the mother-in-law in both past and present. Diana was a tough nut to crack. She was a complex character with a complicated past, which allowed the reader to understand her actions better. It helped soften her rough exterior.

Just as I was thinking that the plot better move forward so I could learn the "who" of the who done it- a viable plot twist started. The twist made sense and led to a satisfying ending.
St. Martin's Press and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The Mother-In-Law.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

When Lucy became serious about Ollie, she had high hopes about his mother Diana.  Wanting a mother figure in her life so desperately, Lucy was devastated when Diana did not give her the time of day.  As nothing changed after marriage, Lucy nevertheless gave the relationship her best shot.  After circumstances dramatically change the lives of everyone in the family, will Lucy finally gain some well needed perspective?

I am not really a fan of the multiple perspective format, but it works well in The Mother-In-Law.  As the plot floats back and forth between the present and the past, readers are able to get a clear picture of the relationships and their development.  Lucy's struggles as an outsider to Diana's inner circle are felt strongly and readers cannot help but be able to relate to the young woman.  Although I had an inkling as the direction the plot was going, I did like how the author tied the loose ends together in a very realistic way.  Author Sally Hepworth has great skill in crafting believable characters who are involved in situations for which readers will be able to identify.  I definitely recommend The Mother-In-Law to readers who like authors such as Jodi Picoult and Diane Chamberlain.
This book was good. I probably would not adopt this book as a class book or part of a curriculum. I would recommend that they check it out at a library and read on their own. I enjoyed the book on my own. It was very suspenseful and I thought the way it was written (Lucy and Diana - past and present) made it interesting. Knowing how Diana & Lucy were as teenagers made the story more interesting. I would recommend reading this book if you like "who done it" books.
When Lucy marries Oliver she is not prepared for the contempt that she feels radiating from Diana, her mother in law.   Diana is held in great regard by everyone else but she and Lucy can't get on.   When Diana is found dead there is a suicide note with her but this is soon discounted and a murder enquiry is underway..... but who would want Diana dead!

A great suspenseful story with plenty of twists and turns, working well being told by both Diana and Lucy so that get both viewpoints and a history and the secrets soon start to be revealed.
I loved this novel.  I finished reading it several days ago and I am still thinking about the characters and their various dilemmas.  What an intriguing plot!!  I can usually figure out the ending for many novels but I had no idea how this one would end.  You will love reading this novel .   Caution:  Be ready because you will not want to put it down!!   I received this novel from the publisher through netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an eARC of this books.
This is a twisty, psychological thriller that is hard to put down. The characters are well developed and the plot keep you reading.
I had no expectations about this book and I loved it! I’d describe it as a family suspenseful drama with a twist. I couldn’t wait to find out how it ended.

This book has all the “structure” things I like:
•	Two different point of views (the mother in law and the daughter in law)
•	Goes back and forth between the past and the present
•	Short chapters

One of the things I liked the most about the book is the character development. Sally Hepworth beautifully presented these characters in a way that makes you empathize with both Diana and Lucy. I found myself laughing at parts, feeling sad for Diana and Lucy at parts and shocked at the end. I really enjoyed her writing style, its fun, witty but full of emotion.

This book does a great job at touching topics such as infertility, grief, mental health and complicated family dynamics.  I would say it’s a great book club pick with lots of conversation starter topics. There is an unexpected ending which I loved! This is the first Sally Hepworth book I’ve read and now I am a fan. I can’t wait to read more from her.
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from the author, Netgalley.com and St. Martin's Press. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review.

Ms. Hepworth's tale of the complicated relationship between a woman and her mother in law is a page turner. With enough twists and turns to fill a film noir classic, it's entertaining and thoughtful. Lucy and Diana didn't get along, but does that mean Lucy had something to do with Diana's death??

Add thus to your summer reading list, you won't want to miss it.

5 out of 5 stars. Highly recommended.
So many twists and turns---several I didn't see---make this one a winner for 2019.

This has multi-dimensional characters, who don't seem to be honest. Or, have other intentions.

The plot comes together like a finished jigsaw puzzle.

Definitely a favorite this year!
I kept putting reading this one off because there was always something else that grabbed my attention first.  But when I finally cracked The Mother-in-Law open, I couldn't put it down!  The story grabbed me immediately and I had to keep going to find out more about Lucy, Diana, and the complicated life of this family.  The perspective switched back and forth from Lucy to Diana and from the past to present.  The story gradually unfolds as you learn more about each women, their families, and their motivations.  Who is the villian in this story?  Is there one?  As a new mother with a mother-in-law of my own, there was so much that I could relate to here from Lucy's side.  I think a lot of us have the mother-in-law who has good intentions that aren't always communicated in the best way.  This was a fantastic story and I can't wait to see what else Sally Hepworth has under her belt.
When scrolling through the reviews for The Mother-in-Law, it's hard not to notice the high amount of 5 stars that readers have given it.  It has moved to the top of many people's favorite book list.  I was excited to read this not only because of the reviews but because I am a fan of the author's previous books.

I went into this with high expectations and was a bit surprised while reading that people held it with such high regards.  Sally Hepworth has such a talent for telling a story.  She is capable of using different point of views from multiple characters all while telling the story for past and present time frames.  And it is not at all confusing.  The transitions are very smooth and natural.

In regards to the actual storyline for The Mother-in-Law, I'm at a bit of a crossroads.  Ultimately we have a story on greed and the personal translation of a mother's love.  The characters you are meant to dislike, I definitely disliked. The characters you were meant to like, I immediately liked.  And the characters that you were meant to warm up to eventually, I definitely grew to understand and appreciate.

This story isn't a thriller or a whodunit in the sense of a murder mystery.  It tells the story of a family that had it all, but who were taught to work for what they wanted.  As children this made sense, but as adults, the thought of having an inheritance spurred certain decisions in their lives.  But money isn't everything...

I would certainly recommend this book for the excellent writing and storytelling that Sally Hepworth is capable of.
I received this book as an ARC. This book had so many twists and turn and it will keep you guessing til the end. The dynamic of this family seemed very real and I could relate to many things in the book. The end of the book blew me away. I would pick this book up if you have the chance.
Lucy was just like every other bride when she first got married. She envisioned a happy life with her new husband Oliver. However, his mother Diana treated Lucy with such contempt that it soon became apparent that things would not always be rosy with Lucy's marriage to Oliver. Diana was all but an icon, and Lucy would do anything to please her. In fact, she actually would like to be just like her. However, she was never afforded that opportunity.

Ten years pass, and Lucy's difficult relationship with Diana never got any better. Shockingly, Diana has been found dead and there was a suicide note. As soon as the autopsy is done, however, it is clear that Diana was suffocated. So, what happened? Who killed her?

This intriguing story is delivered in dual points of view. We get that of Lucy, and then also, Diana. What was interesting is how Diana's view was played throughout the pages of this book. This read was full of twists and turns as secrets were revealed, layer by layer, and this allowed the reader to slowly discover who the killer was.

An interesting fact about this book is the genres that it falls in. It is listed as a mystery/thriller but also a women's fiction. No doubt that is due to the dynamics explored with this family. I think it was done rather well.

However, I still managed to be surprised at the outcome. I love convoluted stories that can manage to shock me and that deliver a powerful conclusion. I enjoyed this book by Sally Hepworth and look forward to reading her previous titles, as well as whatever she has in store for the future.

Many thanks to St. Martin's Press and to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
Thanks to the publisher for providing me a copy of this book.

This is my first book by Sally Hepworth and my favorite aspect of the story we’re the dynamics and relationships between the characters. I’ve heard good things about her other novel, The Family Next Door, and have since added it to my need to read list.

The story is told through chapters by alternating perspectives of the mother in law and her daughter in law, which I loved seeing, and occurs both in the present and glimpses in the past. As I mentioned initially, my favorite aspect is the relationships and how the characters (especially the mother/daughter in law) played out, they were very relatable and really helped bring the characters to life. Without revealing too much of the plot, there’s also a mystery intertwined in the story as well. This was a fast and fun read and I’ll definitely be
checking out some of Hepworth’s previous novels.
Told mainly through the eyes of two women as the story traverses the past and the present. Diana (mother-in-law) is a force of assertive fortitude. Lucy having lost her mother early in life, hopes to build a close relationship with Diana.  It's a gradual revelation of undercurrents of repressed hopes, desires, dreams and misconceptions.

Though the book is a mystery, I was more interested  in the M-I-L  / D-I-L dynamic that existed. Some might find Diana a difficult character. However I found her complex and sympathetic, a woman forged by life experience. For the right or wrong of it, I believe she had the best of intentions and love for her family. I found her  to be the most compelling character in the book.

The book was well written. The author is new to me, and I will be looking out for more of her work.
Oh boy....Mother-in-law's! Sometimes they get a bad rep.....if you have a mother in law that you like (consider yourself lucky!)

What an great story. I finished reading it within 1 day. From the very first sentence it pulls you in and you don't want to put it down. I found myself flying through the pages. I really enjoyed the multiple POV story-telling that the author uses to show the different characters thoughts and interpretations of each other's actions. At first I wasn't a fan of Diana's but by the end of the story, she was my favorite. I loved to watch Diana and Lucy's relationship evolve..it really was amazing. The characters were well developed and I felt like I knew them (personally) by the end of it. I would definitely recommend this book....even if you LOVE (or HATE) your mother-in-law.

*I received a free ARC of this book from NetGalley (and the publisher) in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*