Watersnakes

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2018

Could not get far with this one, story and artwork not quite for me. I just couldn't get into it. I am just going to pass on it, I am sure it will find a good fanbase.
WATERSNAKES: So surreal it quickly pulls you in to its story. The art and writing make the story even more compelling; making you want to continue reading until the astonishing ending! Good story, good art!
Thank you to Tony Sandoval, Diamond Book Distributors, and NetGalley for allowing me the extreme pleasure of access to an advanced reader copy of “Watersnakes” for an honest review.

I wasn't quite sure what I expect when I started reading this graphic novel, only that it was set like many fairy-and-fantasy stories began, with someone living their regular life and then being touched once by the supernatural, which sent them down The White Rabbit's hole like Alice. Mila is the Alice of this new read and realm, and there is darkness afoot, with deep supernatural happenings, of ghosts and ghoolish warriors.

I felt the story didn't have enough depth to it, but I was mesmerized by the art, which all looks like paintings.
I would like to thank the publisher for giving me a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this!
I really liked the way everything was painting style. Characters were interesting enough as well. The story was rather short and I was a bit perplexed what was going on in the end. To understand this graphical novel one probably has to do more research into it.
Let me tell you just one little thing: I need to follow Tony Sandoval's works because this book is amazing. The story-line is good and intriguing, it may not be the best, that's true, but it was intriguing and I found myself captivated by it. But the best thing, the really amazing thing, in this book is the art. The illustrations are creepy, a tad morbid maybe, but so artfully done, so beautiful They are art and I fell in love with the dark atmosphere of this book, with its amazing drawings and arts.
We deserve more of this around!
I was attracted to the breathtakingly beautiful artwork, but after seeing Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval listed with the Lgbt tag on Goodreads, I knew this was a graphic novel I needed to read. A shot read, and a bit weird, the artwork remained stunning and the story itself was well paced and touching. Parts were weird/confusing, though I assume this was mostly just to go with the dreamy art style. The ending was well deserved and I can still remember the feelings this gave me long after finishing. If the artwork is your aesthetic, I definitely recommend picking up Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval. Absolutely impressive artwork and a solid, stirring story.
*Thank you to NetGalley for access to the book in exchange for an honest review.*

During summer vacation, Mila meets Agnes, a mysterious girl that she develops complicated feelings for. Complicating those feelings are the fact the Agnes is a ghost holding the spirit of a fallen king and his soldiers. Mila is tasked with helping Agnes return the king to his kingdom.

This graphic novel is such a fever dream. I loved every moment. The plot is tenuous at best, but the art pulls you in and the interaction between Mila and Agnes is just amazing. It's a good read for fans of creepy, Gothic stories.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this!!! I really enjoyed the art work. Excellent graphic novel. I highly recommend this book.
Beautiful art. Cover is definitely captivating. I just didn't quite get the entire story though. I might need to reread this or try another story by the author to get a better grasp on the author's style.
The art was...surreal and morbidly fascinating. I really enjoyed the style, and that's the reason I picked up this book. The story though...not my favorite. It was hard to follow, and I struggled to stay focused on what was happening.
I'm calling this Oneiric crapstatic.

Mila finds an strange girl while on vacation. Lesbic fantasies aside, then odd, weird, fantasies starts. Ghosts, or something else, nightmares and some disturbing teeth paraphilia and story that made no sense.

2.5** for the art

But really this was not so my thing. Ug. (--b/c teeth falling is one of my worst nighmare x_x)
Once again duped by the cover.

---------------------
Romance? Atracción lésbica.
Sexo? Besos. Fetichismo dental.
Lenguaje? Normal
Recomendada? NO.
---------------------------
DNF

Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval follows Mila, a young girl starting summer vacation. She makes a new friend, Agnes, who happens to be a ghost. Mila becomes obsessed with Agnes and her story, and they embark on a dangerous journey. Or do they? Much of this is comprised of fantasies or dream sequences. There's a serious teeth motif going on, which really creeped me out. The story was very disjointed, and made no sense. I made it about a third of the way through before getting to annoyed to continue. It didn't help that I really wasn't a huge fan of the art style.

***Many thanks to Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors for providing an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I had gone into this expecting something really cool and interesting, and while it WAS both of those, I did not understand a single thing that happened. Nothing made sense, I understand this is a graphic novel but I'm tired of just seeing panels of art without any explanation. On top of this, it was also just... very strange.

On the flip side, the artwork was stunning.
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

At first, I was put off by the art work, I wasn’t a huge fan. But then, as I got into this crazy ghost revenge story, the artwork started to get better. By the end, I liked it. It was dark, original, and a lesbian love story.

I’d check this author out again for sure.
It started out quite interestingly, but then it turned into some weird kind of teeth-kink story? I have no idea what I was reading and honestly, even though I liked the art (it gave me Tim Burton vibes), the story itself was a bit cringey?!
The art work for this was...dark...disturbing and beautiful.  The story follows Mila, a young woman who gets this weird obsession over another girl...especially her ...teeth.  Yeah! Weird!  The story is great...weird but great. The artwork is by far my favorite thing.

Giving it a 4/5

Make sure you follow us on Instagram!
@beedlethebardbooksleeves
Get this for the stylized, moody art.  The story doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  There's a lot of dream sequences and scenes where it's not really clear if they are real or imagined.
Spirit warriors, lesbian undertones, foxes, special teeth; sign me up.

Watersnkakes starts off with young Mila who meets the quite strange girl Agnes, whom Mila finds utterly fascinating and a friendship quickly forms. Out of this friendship a dangerous adventure begins.

Can’t really say more without giving away too much but know that it was odd and disturbing but, oh so wonderful. The artwork  and style is by far my favorite out of all the graphic novels I’ve read. I hope more of Sandovals work gets translated for us to read.

Thank you NetGalley and Lion Forge Comics for providing a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Unfortunately, I was unable to get the full work to download in order to give a review. I will be purchasing, though. The art work and story have piqued my interest and the feedback I have seen makes me want to read this even more than when I first requested the ARC.