Modern Acrylic

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 27 Nov 2018

I’m obsessed with acrylic painting lately. I know that in order to learn and develop my painting skills, I have to deep dive in theory and practice. So for the theory part, I’m devouring books like this one.

So far, each book has a common basic section, but the main teachings or techniques have been unique to the author. And so is the case of this book as well.

Although the basic stuff like color theory and basic materials are extremely similar to those found in other beginner books, the part that matters is completely unique and personal to the author.

I found that the sketching section was particularly helpful for me, as that is an area I have been struggling a little.

Her approach is simple and rough. Since there will be paint all over the sketch anyway, she explains how you only need a base to know where everything goes.

The section about perspective is also really helpful. And although I still remember some basics from art class in high school, having a refresher and current resource is always nice.

And besides the basic information about perspective, you can find numerous examples to go along the information, which is extremely helpful as well.

Although it is to expect from an art book, I love how highly visual it is. Lots of examples and guides that show me where to start, or what to aim for. The book has a lovely layout, easy to follow and pleasing to the eye.

And after all the basic instructions are laid out, you will find even more information in the step by step tutorials on how to recreate some of her paintings. All of them fairly simple. I would consider them to be nice exercises to practice the techniques presented in the book. Which will help to become comfortable with brush strokes, sketching your base, getting the right shapes and the right proportions, etc.

All the tutorials and exercises are so simple, that they are not intimidating at all to the novice painter.

This book is a great resource for any novice wanting to start painting acrylic. The simple techniques and basic painting tutorials are a great place to start, as they don’t look complicated at all, and very beginner friendly.
This Sunday’s book is a great book exploring  Acrylics . Rather you are a hobbyist or professional artist you will enjoy this book. As the author ex plains  it all from  basics skills to more difficult  skills it has it all, Done with great illustrations and pictures it will  get you painting.  If you are like me and just dabble in acrylics ( a hold over from high school)  but interested in knowing more . I highly recommend  reading this book. You will be inspired to paint your next master piece
A decent place to start, especially if you are coming from or are interested in a style that is more muted and watercolor-like in appearance. I wasn't as wowed by this book as I was hoping because it was a little basic but I think it was an approachable place to get started with acrylics.
Over all a nice book with some good tips and techniques, some of the paintings i would probably try but not all.
This did fall a bit short for me in the long run though.

I voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Not for me. I found the cover image attractive, and thought that this book might help me 'loosen up' my painting style. There was the usual information on colour theory etc, making different textures etc, which is useful to the beginner, but I found the finished paintings not anything I would aspire to recreate. They seemed unfinished, dull, and uninspiring.
Thank you to the publisher for a review copy.
Modern Acrylic is on point when it comes to presenting theory, colors and techniques in a quick and concise manner but in such way that everyone understands.

The projects are a easy to understand and draw too, however I felt like they were too repetitive and that the projects were used too much as examples when presenting the theory. I think it would be more inspiring to showcase more works and ideas, even for beginners.
This is a great book on anyone starting out with acrylic painting, it starts with very basic but much needed information for any painter.
The rest of the book show examples and tutorial on how to paint various subject matter, including coastal, plants, abstract, scenery with perspective and still life to name a few. Each technique builds on the skill set of the painter. The think it is a great beginners book, but then again everyone can get something out of it.
I really like this fresh book on modern abstract acrylic.  It's very simple, not intimidating and easy to understand for the beginner acrylic painter. It introduces the basic supplies, techniques, design, color, sketching, perspective and artist tips. The end has clear step by step exercises to complete a few paintings.

I was given a digital copy from the publisher and author in exchange for my honest review.
3 Stars!! This was an okay, kinda informative book on acrylic painting for beginners. This book has a lot on Acrylic painting, like-types of brushes, types of acrylic paints, types of palettes to use, techniques, sketching, supplies, brushstrokes, cleaning up, etc...! I wish there was some info on types of acrylic paint mediums to thicken, thin, or slow drying! Although this book didn’t have much for me, I did learn a few things.
*I received this book at no charge from the publisher.*
As someone who dabbles in art, this book was a great introduction to acrylic paints and gave some useful tips and information about the medium
With Modern Acrylic, artists, illustrators, art students, and art hobbyists can learn how to use basic painting techniques and concepts to create expressive works of art. You'll learn to paint flowers, animals, patterns, and even how to transfer your hand-lettering skills to paint. This guide offers a lively and creative approach to acrylic paint packed with inspiring exercises and whimsical projects. Foremost a beginner’s guide, Modern Acrylic starts with a brief introduction to the tools you’ll need and continues with explanations of key painting concepts like color mixing and atmospheric perspective. Once you have a handle on the basics, it’s time to create dynamic color palettes, use basic shapes and techniques to render a range of subjects, and practice mark making and textures.

Modern Acrylic is an inspiring and accessible guide to painting everything from expressive landscapes to colorful architectural gems.

This was an easy to follow, step by step book. I liked how it went through everything you would need to know to start painting. Right away when I started this book it made me want to grab a canvas and paints and just dive right in! I've never been great at painting but it's always been a hobby of mine. Any book that can help me better my art, I want to read. I'm so glad I got to read this one! The pictures were a nice bonus as well. I loved that the beginning of each chapter the background was a canvas. If you're interested in either just starting to learn how to paint or sharping your skills, I would suggest this book as a guide!

Thank you for the ARC of  #ModernAcrylic by Blakely Little, #NetGalley
Pub Date: 02 Oct 2018
Blakely Little is an artist who has written a book for beginning artists who are starting to paint in acrylic. She goes thrpugh all the materials needed and techniques used in acryluc painting. She goes through a bit of colour theory and useful tips for colour mixing. Blakely sets some painting projects and explains step by step how to paint it and colours to mix and use. She certainly has a unique style and likes colour.
This was not my favorite book on painting.  Blakely did a good job explaining the basics of painting, color theory, and perspective.  I wasn’t interested in duplicating the painting example she provided in the book.  Some of her paintings were of bookshelves, inside of a kitchen and french doors.  There was an overemphasis on perspective based on her painting selection.  I did enjoy the section on flowers.

This book was suitable for beginners, however, there are many painting books much more educational than this one.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

If this review was helpful to you please click the link below.
I really liked the thorough explanations of techniques in the book. The author provided plenty of step-by-step examples for hobbyists. Might even buy a copy for myself!
Good for beginners in acrylics - includes  nice intro to color wheel, perspective & detailed demos. With a title like “modern acrylic” however I was expecting more experimental or unique techniques - not much new in here for experienced painters.
Modern Acrylic - A playful and contemporary exploration of acrylic painting by Blakely Little is a book divided into specific sections.  There is an introduction, color theory, beginning painting, painting everyday life, painting botanicals and finally painting architexture and landscapes.  The book assumes that the reader has some knowledge of drawing and painting. Unfortunately I feel this book is not for beginners.  The book is specifically designed for those who can at least draw/sketch what it is they want to paint and then paint.  The audience for this book is narrowed further by limiting the topic to contemporary interpretation.  I was disappointed at the lack of specifics.
I would like to thank Quarto Publishing Group – Walter Foster and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
If you a total beginner to paint with acrylics, you will find this book a useful tool for exploring acrylic painting.
This is definitely a book beginners—a book for people who do not know where to start with acrylic painting. Also, a book for people who want to paint still life, landscapes, and interiors, but do not know how  to start with drawing line and shapes, and with mixing and applying colors.
This is the book for you, if you have never painted with acrylics, but you are curious about the medium and its applications. The easy-to-follow-step-by step tutorials allow you to explore acrylic painting, perspective, shapes, lines, and colors, with zero anxiety and zero concerns.
This is not the book for you, if you are looking to become a skilled acrylic artist with just a few brushstrokes.
The best way to use the tutorials is to treat them as simple exercises–exercises designed around the goal to make you comfortable with experimenting with an unknown medium.
My humble art teacher suggestion?
Buy a few canvas panels and have fun with the tutorials and with lines, colors, and brush strokes.
After you are done with the tutorials, grab an apple, an orange, a vase, and a few other elements that you have painted with the help of the tutorials and make your own composition.
Sketch and paint what you see.
When you are done with your painting,  rearrange the elements of your composition and, once again, sketch and paint what you see.
Observe, sketch, paint, repeat.
To become comfortable with colors, shapes, lines, and  white surfaces, you have to practice, practice, and practice.
This book might help you understand acrylic painting.
But, only practice, patience, and your own creativity can help you  become the artist you want to become.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this copy in exchange for an unbiased review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

We have been so fascinated by works of modern art ever since a semi-brief Gallery Guard stint, here in Fort Worth.

Different types of paint are fascinating as well.

Modern Acrylic offers the seasoned critic as well as the overwhelmed newby the opportunity to know more about employing this medium as a means of self-expression.

The book is well-laid-out in an aesthetic and creative manner.  It doesn't speak down to the reader, nor does it hover at an unfathomable level.  Perfect.
#ModernAcrylic #NetGalley

The book goes from beginner to advanced techniques. The author explains different techniques such as landscape drawing, observations techniques and more. A very good introductory book about the modern and contemporary acrylic painting
From the publisher, as I do not regurgitate the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it!

Modern Acrylic delivers simple concepts and painting techniques you’ll need to create exciting and expressive works of art.
Foremost a beginner’s guide, Modern Acrylic starts with a brief introduction to the tools you’ll need and continues with explanations of key painting concepts like colour mixing and atmospheric perspective. Once you have a handle on the basics, it’s time to create dynamic colour palettes, use basic shapes and techniques to render a range of subjects, and practice mark making and textures.
Modern Acrylic is an inspiring and accessible guide to painting everything from expressive landscapes to colourful architectural gem.

As someone who paints with acrylics and runs acrylic painting classes as a volunteer in social services, I looked forward to this book as a helper for my teaching.
Dead wrong.
These acrylic paintings all look like watercolours: where is the bright, cheery colour of acrylics? These were drab and boring and nothing that I would teach or recommend to anyone unless they had a desire for "meh" on their walls.
I said that I would be honest.....