One Summer in Paris

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 May 2019

Audrey is headed to a dinner ready to surprise her husband with the trip of a lifetime as they are starting their lives as empty nesters, he is approaching this phase of life in a different attitude and needs a break from the life they have been living.  Audrey decides to take this trip alone and reset her life and priorities.

I have really been evaluating my reading recently and really trying to avoid the cheating books.  I just don't enjoy reading books where spouses are doing that sort of thing and am just trying to stay away, I committed to reading this book before I started really limiting this in my reading.  I am glad I still read this book but there were some moments where I really cringed and and maybe skipped ahead a bit.

The moments that I loved the most were between Audrey and Grace.  I loved how in Grace's life she needed an Audrey to step and help mentor her through her transition and Grace was able to affect Audrey through this speed bump in her life.  It was interesting to read about characters who are not related with this age different really impact each other.

I love Sarah Morgan's writing and will always enjoy reading books, I just didn't completely love the subject matter of this one, but didn't take away from my love of her as an author.
I have really liked Sarah Morgan's books in the past and this one just called to me! I mean Paris in summer -no brainer. I didn't even read the blurb before requesting!! Well I am happy to say this book lived up to my expectations.

We follow Audrey and Grace as they are both sort of escaping to Paris for the summer. Audrey is trying to start her own life away from her alcoholic mother. Grace is going on her 25th Anniversary trip she planned sans the husband who just asked for a divorce. These two cross paths and help each other to get on and have a wonderful summer.

While I enjoyed both of these characters, Audrey was a bit grating at times  Still I loved their friendship so much. I loved watching them each grow and turn into the people they were meant to be.

Paris was also a shining star in this book. I really felt like I was there. Also there was a bookshop at the heart of the story and that is always a plus.

There was some romance thrown in for good measure. While I think the friendship and growth were really more the focus I always love some romance thrown in.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story, the characters and Paris. Would definitely recommend to those who like women's fiction.
Grace is really excited to surprise her husband on their 25th wedding anniversary with the trip to Paris she has precisely and painstakingly planned down to the last minute. But David, Grace's husband, has his own surprise for Grace: he's been having an affair and wants a divorce.

Grace is left feeling adrift and self-conscious. The only people she can count on for support at this point are her teenage daughter, Sophie (who feels equally betrayed by her father), and her grandmother Mimi. To get away from everything Grace decides to take the trip to Paris, but by herself. Along the way, Grace will rediscover her passions and maybe make a new friend along the way.

Meanwhile, Audrey cannot wait to graduate if only so she can finally be free from having to take care of her alcoholic mother. She's eighteen years old and the constraints of hiding her mother's addiction are really starting to weigh on Audrey. That's why her plans to live in Paris for the summer are so exciting. No one knows her story, she can do anything, it doesn't matter that she can't speak french. Once in Paris, Audrey's dyslexia makes working at the bookstore - which provides her a job and lodging - difficult. But when she meets Grace the two strike up an instant friendship and as the summer progresses they'll both learn just what they're capable of.

I've noticed the last few releases by Sarah Morgan seem to have a more somber tone to them. It's kind of kept me from being able to find my footing, so to speak, when I start reading them and they've been easier for me to put down.

One Summer in Paris starts of just this way with the dissolution of Grace's marriage and learning of the difficult time Audrey has with her mother. Something forced me to push through the initial setup of the story and by the time the narrative moved to Paris proper, I was hooked. I didn't want to put it down, I wanted to find out where the Paris experience would lead for Grace and Audrey on their own individual, yet intertwined, journeys.

Truly at the center of the story, pushing aside the romance and the men and the familial relationships, is Grace and Audrey. I really loved how Sarah Morgan crafted their friendship as it's not a pairing that one typically sees in fiction where a woman in her late forties befriends a young woman nearing her twenties, and they become best friends and confidants. But the similarities between Grace and Audrey's lives bring them together. They understand where they've been before yet they are also different enough to be able to give advice that maybe pushes the other past their comfortable zone.

Grace, being a teacher, recognizes Audrey's dyslexia and she's able to utilize her teaching skills and work with Audrey in ways no one has wanted to before. Not dismissing her intelligence.

Audrey, being younger, brings Grace out of the shell she's constructed around her life after a childhood of chaos and she's able to show Grace that stability doesn't always mean stringently structured.

Everything else the pair has to deal with stems from the positive changes their friendship has upon them. Up to and including the idea of forgiveness. When faced with the betrayal of her husband, can Grace forgive his actions? If she can, how do you keep the hurt feelings from creeping back into the new relationship you're trying to build?

For Audrey, can she forgive a mother who hasn't been there for her? Can she see the person who loves her, but can't help the addiction she possesses? And what does it mean if her mother does, or doesn't get help for it?

These issues, and more, are all handled really well and kind of consider the different pathways open to the women. I liked that what is decided in the end doesn't play out as a be all and end all decision. It really felt like the characters were choosing based on what was best for them.

So, a story that I started out on the fence reading, turned into a wonderful story about female friendship and growth. I couldn't be happier that I stuck with this one. It makes me want to take a look at Sarah Morgan's other more recent releases.
Opposites attract. And in "One Summer in Paris" the reader will witness the close friendship that will grow between two absolutely different characters.

Audrey and Grace arrive in Paris on the same day. However, their plans for a summer in Paris are completely opposed. Young Audrey, happy to leave alcoholic mother behind her in London, is looking for a new start in life. Although there are a few barriers laying on the way of her plan. Meanwhile, Grace's original plan for summer in Paris was to spend with her husband of twenty five years. Unfortunately, David has a different plan for the summer, that includes his twenty-year-old lover. Nevertheless, after arriving in Paris, Grace and Audrey's paths cross in an unusual way and two characters fall on one another for support that very fast will grow into an unbreakable bond and friendship.

I loved the setting of the novel, all secondary characters and little twists that were revealed at the end. This is an absolutely sweet and light read and will leave the reader's heart full of warmth. "One Summer in Paris" not just a typical story of love, although that specific topic is a large part of the book, the novel also includes and discusses serious subjects like alcoholism and dyslexia.

Thank you NetGalley and HQN Books publisher for a free copy of the book and Sarah Morgan for a lovely story.
One Summer in Paris
Sarah Morgan

In Sarah Morgan’s latest absolutely fabulous stand-alone women’s fiction novel she introduces two very different women who fate brings together on a Paris avenue and changes both their lives forever. Grace Porter from Connecticut never could have believed that when she booked her month-long twenty-fifth anniversary surprise trip to Paris for her and her husband she’d be going alone, while across the pond in London eighteen year old Audrey Hackett’s plan to spend the summer in Paris far away from the chaos at home almost didn’t happen when the money she’d saved to get there disappeared.
Sarah Morgan is a master storyteller and reading her latest novel proves it. This tale is uplifting and heartbreaking about love, loss, forgiving moving on and second chances it’s incredibly hard to put down and the message and its players will stay with you long after the pages have ended.
She delivers a kind of adult coming of age story starring two amazing women who on the surface seem as different as night and day, but as this exceptional author peels the layers readers see just how much they have in common.
Grace is predictable and compassionate sensual and maternal and the audience will love seeing her beautiful transformation – Audrey on the other hand hides her vulnerabilities behind a convincing tough as nails mask.
The Paris sights and sounds are incredible the bookshop in Paris is delightfully charming the other characters are essential to the storyline and the love stories are touching and real.
If you’re a fan of Kristin Hannah then you will love the writings of Sarah Morgan.
This book has everything I was looking for in a story.  The Paris setting caught my attention first.  Then, I was intrigued by Grace and Audrey’s stories and how they would mesh.  I was not disappointed.

Both, Grace and Audrey’s stories were heartbreaking.  Grace planned to surprise her husband, of twenty five years, with a trip to Paris.  But, the surprised was on when Grace when David informed her that he was having an affair and wanted a divorce.   Grace ends up taking the trip on her own.  Audrey was running from her life in London.  She wanted to spend the summer in Paris away from her alcoholic mother.  But, she had a hard time finding a job because she didn’t speak French.  It was fate that Audrey just happened to be on the street when Grace was mugged.  Audrey, being the tough girl she was, stopped the man and got the purse back for Grace.  They became friends after that and helped each other out in ways only good friends could.

This is a story of friendship, starting over, love and family secrets.  It was an extremely enjoyable story.  I was a little sad when the book was over.  I could have read hours more of these characters.
As soon as I saw the title of Sarah Morgan’s latest book, One Summer in Paris, I hit the request button on Netgalley.  Paris is one of my favorite cities in the world, and I’ve wanted to go back there ever since I first visited several years ago.  I read Sarah Morgan’s The Christmas Sisters this past winter and based on the way she transported me to the Scottish Highlands in that book, I knew she was the perfect choice to take me back to Paris.  Once I actually stopped flailing about the book being set in Paris and read the synopsis, I knew I was going to love it.

One Summer in Paris follows two women, 47 year old Grace and 18 year old Audrey, both of whom are in Paris for the summer.  Grace is supposed to be in Paris for a month with her husband, David, to celebrate their 25th anniversary.  However, when Grace presents David with the tickets for the Paris trip, David informs her that he is having an affair and wants a divorce.  Grace is devastated but decides to pluck up her courage and go to Paris alone.  Audrey is also dealing with some issues at her home in London that have left her feeling unloved and just wanting to get away and taste freedom for a while.  She decides that she needs an adventure, and even though she doesn’t speak the language, she boldly decides that she wants to live and work in Paris for the summer.   When Grace and Audrey unexpectedly cross paths in Paris, they form an immediate and unlikely friendship that will change both of their lives.

The friendship between Grace and Audrey was what really made this book such a winner for me.  Their personalities in many ways are polar opposites, with Audrey being the bold and daring one, while Grace is overly cautious and has lived an almost sheltered life.  I really loved how even though Grace was 47 and Audrey was only 18, Audrey teaches Grace just as many life lessons as Grace teachers her, and it was just so heartwarming to watch them support each other.  Audrey, who is a whiz with hair, makeup, and fashion, helps Grace really come out of her shell and enjoy her time in Paris to the fullest, while Grace, who is a language teacher, helps Audrey start to learn French so that she can more independently live and work in the city.  Grace becomes the mother figure Audrey has never really had, and Audrey becomes the BFF that Grace has never had.

You knew Paris was going to make my list of highlights, right? Morgan describes the “City of Lights” perfectly, capturing everything about the city that makes it such a magical and romantic destination for so many.  Between her lush descriptions of baguettes, croissants, delicious cheeses, and wine, and picnics by the Seine River, and her picture-perfect portrayal of iconic French landmarks and gently curving side streets that lead to charming bookstores and bistros, Morgan will make you feel like you are right in the heart of Paris.

I know those who follow my blog will be surprised to see romance in my highlights section, but Morgan has woven two of my favorite kinds of romance into this story and really did both of them very well.  I don’t want to give away any spoilers, so I’m just going to say First Love and Second Chance Romance, and leave it at that. 😊

I love a story that is filled with complicated relationships and this book is chock full of them.  There are complicated family relationships, as well as complicated romantic relationships.  This is an uplifting and heartwarming story overall, but it also has its fair share of drama because of these relationships, which I think help ground the story and keep it from becoming saccharine sweet. Although, that said, I will say that I cried happy tears more than once as I got closer and closer to the end.

My only real complaint about One Summer in Paris was that a couple of plot points were a little predictable.  They took the story in ways I wanted it to go, however, so they didn’t really bother me too much.

I think One Summer in Paris is the perfect read for anyone who enjoys an engaging story about complicated family relationships, the importance of friendship, love, and above all else, a story about taking chances and finding oneself. It’s light enough to be a perfect summer/beach read, but it still has plenty of weight to it because of what both women are going through.
Grace plans a trip to Paris to celebrate her Anniversary only to find out her husband of twenty five years has been having an affair . She no longer feels needed as her husband leaves her and her daughter is graduating .  She decides to take the trip to Paris on her own.
  Audrey goes to Paris to try and get away from her responsibility of taking care of her alcoholic mother and have her own adventure .
    By chance Audrey helps Grace when someone tries to steal her purse. The two become fast friend and it is apparent that they need each other in their lives.
   Sarah Morgan delights with this heartwarming adventure in Paris .
An ode to the strong women and the tight bonds of true friendship that encourage them to be the best version of themselves, through tears and laughter, through pain and growth, love and loss, they always stand by us, hold us up when needed, and never say they are 'just fine'.
When cheating and third person issues are one of my hard limits on the romance novels I read, the author's name was the only reason I said yes to review this title. And I am immensely glad that I did say yes, and I want to thank HQ for sending me the eARC, cause this story, it shook the foundation. The story made me think, it made me laugh, brought tears to my eyes, it brought back sweet memories of Paris, and it made me reach out to my sister-friends.   Rarely there is this deep, sweet, contentment in my whole being when I finish a book, but One Summer In Paris, with its theme of forgiveness and redemption, love and friendship, family and the tribe of people we bring to our lives, it just went directly to my heart and wowed me.
Grace, Audrey, and Mimi - three women of different generations, yet tightly bonded together were all effortless to connect with and relate to. Each of them dealt with issues in their lives that were real and plausible, contributing to the tale, giving life and love a new perspective.
The fourth 'woman' in the story - Paris itself - was as delightfully seductive as always, the city of lights, passion, and love delivering the delightful images, the ardent backdrop to the passionate story of women loving and living and learning, finding their inner voice, inner strength, and their own wolfpack.
One Summer In Paris is an experience that will touch your heart, it is a sensual, triumphant tale of women, life and loss, loving and living fully, tearing down the pretenses, and daring to be honest, open, and true to yourself and others around you.
It took my breath away
~ Five Spoons
This is the story of two women, one in her forties and one in her late teens, both forced to change and become more developed versions of themselves. The story is set in Paris. There was a lot to like in this novel: women becoming empowered, friendship, family, love, humor. Also, IMO there aren’t enough stories about middle-aged women who are emerging and changing into a better version of themselves as they move into later life, so I enjoyed that aspect as well. The descriptions of their activities in Paris were interesting and well-drawn. However, the story lines were predictable and repetitive.

Grace has been married to David for 25 years. In a scene that is telegraphed from page one, David announces at their anniversary dinner that he wants a divorce because he's in love with a girl half his age. Devastated, Grace--ever the controlled, efficient, “good girl” -- must now decide  what she will do with her future.

Audrey, eighteen, is a bit of a street-fighter. She’s unpolished and evasive, thanks to an alcoholic mother who has seriously neglected her. To escape her surroundings, Audrey, who is dyslexic and hates books, applies and is hired for a job in a Parisian bookstore practically overlooking the Seine. Even better, it comes with a little apartment over the store.

When rough Audrey and polished Grace meet in Paris, they become dear friends, each influencing the other to become better people as they grapple with their love lives, resulting in the happy ending you would expect. It's cliched and predictable, and Grace is too likely to speak in self-help aphorisms, but after a slow start, the story picked up speed and at the 50% point I was reluctant to put it down.

I did care about Audrey and Grace, and wanted to know how things would turn out for them. OTOH, the story relied too heavily on coincidence and unlikely happenstance. Much of the dialogue, particularly when Grace got preachy,  was skimworthy. Finally, the happy-ever-afters went on forever. A basic Hallmark-style romance.

Thanks to Netgalley for letting me read this pre-release.
I love Sarah Morgan's work. I adore the summer season and j'adore Paris. When I saw One Summer in Paris on NetGalley, I requested it right away. I started it at 10 pm, finished it at 2 am. I loved most of it -the writing style, the parallel stories of Grace and Audrey, their journey to find themselves, their friendship, their relationships with their families, and their love stories. I love the bookshop, the breads and cheeses, the French language, Mimi, and the cover.

Everything was heartwarming, relatable, balanced with ups and downs that were realistic. Except for the end. All the plotlines were tied up neatly with a bow even when they didn't have to be, the happy-ever-after shoehorned. It's like there was a confusion in which category to place the book so they tried to fit in in all of women's fiction, chick lit, and romance by forcing the happy ending for Grace. Her kindness was stressed over and over, but healing and forgiveness of an inexcusable wrong done to her within six months is too saintly to be believable. There are many ways her story could have ended. The choice made was disappointing.
I read two depressing nonfiction books in a row, so I was in need of a light, fluffy read, and this cute book was just what I needed. Dyslexic Audrey goes to Paris to get away from her alcoholic mother. Grace had planned a trip to France to celebrate her wedding anniversary, only to learn that her husband has been having an affair with a much younger woman. So Grace goes to Paris on her own and befriends Audrey, helping her with her French. Together, they help each other find romance and adventure and heal from the challenges of their everyday lives back home.

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book, which RELEASES APRIL 9, 2019.
Grace, whose daughter has just graduated from high school, and Audrey, who is the same age as Grace's daughter, meet and become unlikely friends in Paris. Both of their life's are changing and they need someone to trust. They bring out the best in each other, providing friendship, safety, and the strength to open up and try things that scare them. A story of learning to live and to trust set in Paris in summer is a perfect summer book.
One Summer in Paris is a delightful story about two people who lost their way but find each other. They each take a chance and travel to Paris alone, next thing they know they are thrown together. Audrey and Grace learn from each other and build a beautiful friendship along the way. I really loved this story, the characters were flawed and wonderful. I adored the Paris setting! I'm a sucker for anything Paris. One Summer in Paris surprised me by being a wonderful testament to friendship and love.
I enjoyed Sarah Morgan's New York series so was looking forward to the setting of this story in Paris. It's such a shock to Grace when her husband of 25 years announces he wants a divorce and then suffers a heart attack on their anniversary. To say it's a shock would be putting it mildly. Her gift to her husband David was a trip to Paris for a month and after discussions with her daughter decides she will still go albeit now alone.

Audrey is a young girl who lives with her alcoholic mother who just got engaged. She has taken care of her Mum through all the ups and downs of the disease and worries that her fiance Ron will bail if he learns the extent of her disease. She's scrimped and saved to travel to Paris for the summer before finding a job. She struggles with dyslexia and school has been difficult.

Audrey and Grace meet and form an unlikely friendship. Although Grace is 47 and Audrey 18 they share a similar background and realize that it's much easier to be honest and truthful with a stranger many miles from home than it is with their lifelong friends. They form an alliance and help each other traverse the present challenges in their lives.

You can feel the thrill and beauty of Paris along the Siene. Sara Morgan transports you to the cobblestone streets, the musty bookstore, the opulent theatre, and the small apartments with wonderful views. There is a bit of magic in her storytelling and a surprise at the end. Enjoy the story, I did!

I received a free ARC eBook from Net Galley and the Publisher in exchange for my honest review.
I love Sarah Morgan! I read everything she writes always. This romance was classic swoony Morgan and I couldnt be more pleased!
A wonderful romance!  The story is engaging from the first pages, as we meet two women from different generations and circumstances who end up having more in common than they would have realized. Both are in Paris for the summer, and after their unexpected encounter, go from strangers to dear friends. In fact, as much as this is a romance, it is also a story of strong, intergenerational female friendship and loyalty.
“One Summer in Paris” is a deep and charming book about finding yourself and living your best life. Grace is excited to celebrate her 25-year anniversary with her husband David, whom she loves deeply. She is planning to surprise him with a one-month trip to Paris that she has painstakingly planned. However, at the Valentine’s day/anniversary dinner where she gives it to him, he shocks her by revealing that he wants a divorce and is in love with a different woman.

Although he ultimately asks to buy the trip from her for his girlfriend and himself, Grace decides to take the trip alone- after all, she was the one to plan it. Although initially depressed, Grace soon begins to discover herself and take new paths to happiness. It is on her journey that she meets Audrey, who is, in many ways, a kindred spirit.

Audrey is 18 and has come to Paris to work at a bookshop- despite being unable to speak French and despite hating books due to her dyslexia. The job came with an apartment, which was key for her. Her mother is an alcoholic, and Audrey also has the opportunity to live her own life with her mother being newly married. Luckily, Audrey has met Grace who helps her with the job and finding her own passions.

In a smaller and more sporadic story, we also follow Mimi, Grace’s ninety-year-old grandmother, who is still the free spirit she has always been. Mimi has never revealed who Grace’s grandfather was, and she had many lovers over the years when she traveled as a ballerina. Paris has always held a special place in her heart, as the place where she was born and found herself. While this story was tertiary, it was really interesting and Mimi was a fantastic character. I would love to read a whole book about her and her life from the tidbits we are given.

The book’s primary focus is Grace, and I loved the journey she takes to find herself. I am not sure how much I loved the ending for her, but I understood it due to the way the story evolved. What I really enjoyed was how she analyzes her life and makes changes for herself and no one else. She is a strong and impressive character, and I loved seeing the world through her eyes. The friendship between Grace and Audrey was somewhat mother-daughter but more balanced, and I loved it regardless. They were fantastic characters, and I felt like I knew and loved them through this beautiful story.

Overall, this was a powerful book about finding yourself and living your own life, and will definitely make you want to travel to Paris in the process. I completely fell in love with these well-developed and multidimensional characters and would love to read more about them and the secondary/tertiary characters in the future.

Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
This was a fun afternoon read. The characters were well defined, and the descriptions of Paris, the food, tourist attractions are always a treat.  I especially liked the bookstore scenes. The plot, however, had no surprises and it sometimes begged believing. But it was a good exploration of the power of friendship.
This was a beautiful love story set in the romantic atmosphere of Paris. It was difficult to tear myself away from the heroine's live affair. I was rooting for her the whole time. I highly recommend this gorgeous novel.