Cover Image: A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

This is an easy to read educational comic about the various sexual and gender identities. The language is simple enough for most, but younger readers might need help with some of the terminologies. The art is colourful and the lettering easy on the eyes, making it a very relaxing read.

I love that the information is provided and mainly narrated by non-human creatures. This topic can hold a lot of baggage for some readers and it might help them disconnect in order to see things from a fresh perspective. That said, I like that there were some anecdotes acted out by humans every now and then to add in a sense of realism.

I consider myself reasonably well informed in such matters, but this helped as a nice refresher and some of the terms for the less frequently used identities were new to me. This is a very important and crucial read in today's age. I sincerely hope this book reaches as many people as possible.
This is a good book for down to basics queer and trans terminology.  It is cute and sweet and I definitely feel that it would be good for someone new to this area or exploring their identity.  The book also discusses bodily autonomy and consent as well as what to watch out for in toxic relationships which I think is definitely not something frequently discussed that is one of the more important tenants of both our platonic and romantic relationships with others.  The tone of the book definitely seems to be geared towards those unfamiliar with these subjects as it did feel a little childish and could be misconstrued as condescending.  I did really love the little extras at the end, especially the blank pages for writing your own thoughts, ideas for making yourself into a sproutling and how to create a little zine!

Things I did not care for were few but did have a fairly large impact.  The illustrations were cute but the colors made the text and drawing difficult to read.  For anyone who is colorblind this book is a struggle (I did let a colorblind friend take a look and they struggled).  The contrast on everything is very low so it's hard to define shapes which are already unfamiliar such as the fantasy creatures in the foliage.  The second thing I took slight issue with was the use of the snails - I felt that I would have been more interested in the humans or the sproutlings telling the story, not the snails.  Trans and queer people already fight for our stories to be told and while I didn't 100% hate it, I definitely had a little bit of that.... feeling.  However, for those just beginning to explore this subject I doubt it would register as an issue.

Overall I did enjoy this book and am glad I had the opportunity to read it!
I certainly learned a lot from this book! The cute and charming art style helps in discussing such an intimidating topic.

The book embraces the fluidity of gender and queerness as a concept and defines how self-identification is still the basis of any classification. Labels are fine as long as they are self labels and helps the individual be more comfortable and self confident in his/her own skin.

It successfully differentiates sexuality vs gender and introduces the concept of an infinite number of types of people. Reading this really helped me a lot to understand the colorful spectrum of the Queer community. Now I can be more of an informed ally, and a better parent to my son who I plan to raise without gender role expectations.

I did find some of the relationship lessons dragging, but perhaps I’m just a bit too old for it. I’m sure it will be really helpful to a lot of people.

In the end, the most important thing is to respect others, and to always be kind.
Many thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for an E-Advanced Reader copy of this comic. I was given this in exchange for a fair review.

A Quick and Easy Guide to Queer and Trans Identities written by J.R. Zuckerberg, illustrated by Mady G, is exactly what it advertises. It is indeed an easy guide to Queer and Trans Identities. Mady’s illustrations add cuteness and spunk to an otherwise hard topics. Zuckerberg’s writing complements the illustrations wonderfully. The writing makes you feel more like you’re sitting with a group of people listening to someone talk about a topic and answering questions that the group has.

I loved that the author made the decision to use snails to have a conversation instead of people, lightened it up and made it educational without it being like a textbook. The vibrancy of the colors also add to this, using bright pinks, purples, yellow and a variety of blues and greens. As such I would not recommend getting the kindle version of this if you are reading on a device that is only black and white. The light colors make it almost impossible to read in black and white. The usage of a comic format for this was a genius idea. Not only does it make for an easy, comprehensible read, it brings creativity to a topic that is usually spoken about in a more clinical, an apathetic way when it comes to educational material. Again this makes it feel like a casual conversation while still being able to teach the reader.

There was something that confused me, however. There’s a chapter on relationship basics that seems a little strange to be in comic that advertises that it is about Queer and Trans identities. While what it talked about in the chapter is important to be addressed it doesn’t fit into the category of identity. The only way that I can think of this to address this is to change the title from using identities to topics, but, again it is only this chapter that I didn’t find to fit the overall theme.

I'm glad that this book took some time to explain the reclamation of the word Queer. Back in my day(Ha! I’m only 25.) it was not a positive thing to called Queer. It is hard for me to see this this term used in books as a positive descriptor because of this. Maybe someday I will be able to use it in a nonacademic way but for now it is ingrained in my brain that is derogatory and should not be used. However, it does clear up that the usage of it in the comic is positive because the community has reclaimed the word to make it a positive one again.

A Quick and Easy Guide to Queer and Trans Identities is a thoroughly enjoyable comic, that is informative and creative. It is a great start for anyone who is curious about identification in the LGBTQ+ community. Even those who are currently questioning their identity and sexuality will benefit due to the in depth conversations about the different types of people in the broad spectrum of sexuality and identification. This is also a good start for someone who has just come out and has people in their family or social circles that are having a hard time understanding their ‘new’ identity. It is a short and easy read, but stockpiled with information for helping these groups. I highly recommend that anyone picks up this comic.
Three pages in, I had some doubts as to which age group this book was targeted to, since the tone felt rather childish to me. After continuing reading however, I surprisingly warmed up to it (at least to some extent - there were still some times where I felt too much like I was being talked to as a kid). Aside from that, the comic was really helpful for educating myself on a lot of LGBTQ+ topics. If you have friends and family who are part of the LGBTQ+ community I would definitely recommend this book! I am sure that to an extent it will help you understand them better, and learn how to make them feel more loved, accepted and respected :) Besides that, the illustrations and the colours were absolutely to stunning, so that definitely made the comic a whole lot better.

A sincere thank you to NetGalley and Oni Press for the ARC!
I can't wait to get this on the shelves at my library to see what our teens think about it. I enjoyed that the book was narrated by snails, but at the same time completely understand other reviewers' complaints that trans and other queer identities are already so under-presented in fiction and nonfiction that it feels like a slight to not have them tell their own stories.
This was a pretty cute and informative guide on some LGBTA identities. I especially appreciated the section on asexual identities, since they do tend to get overlooked more often. There was also a nice bit of focus on the difference between 'gender' and 'sex'.

The bit in the middle on relationship advice felt out of place, though it was good advice. The rest of the comic focused on identity, and then suddenly it's talking about relationships, which is not the same thing at all and was a little bit jarring and unnecessary.

Still, not bad at all, all things considered. Seems like it would be useful for someone wanting to understand some terms a bit better.

5 ⭐️

An excellent guide to sexual and gender orientations. The pictures were cute and the snails were a nice touch, as were the Sproutlings.

The chapters looked a bit like they jumped from one subject to another. I think all the sexual orientation bits should have been after the gender orientation ones, so as to flow better into the asexual and relationship chapters. I also believe a bit more depth (such as an entire chapter) on romantic orientation would have been welcome.

The book in itself is not exactly and introduction. You have to already be aware of some of the terms that come with the LGBT+ world to completely understand this work. Also, the use of LGBTQ is exclusive to people who don't identify with the first 4 letters and don't accept the word "queer" to describe themselves. I believe a constant use of LGBT+ or LGBTQ+ (such as used in the outro) would have been better.

It's a little gem in itself and the activities at the end make this book a keeper, especially for teenagers and young people in general who might be coming to terms with who they are. And a good way to educate people in general as to what is LGBT+
First, I want to say I received an ARC copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review-- and the Kindle edition the pages were split in half (top and bottom) and the pages were all out of order. So, it took some doing to get through it (in the right order) to fully get the authors important message.

I'd say this is a good book for teens, in it's story-telling style, the art, and the message. Though the message of the book is important for people of all ages to understand, this is clearly designed for a younger audience. Understanding, acceptance (of self and others) and individuality are all important. The world would be a much better place if we all accepted our unique qualities -- we are not all the same. It's time for society to stop expecting people to behave and live a cookie cutter existence that does not include the freedoms for gender and non-binary individuals to thrive without fear of persecution.
This book was adorable and a great introduction to the concept of queer and trans identities. However, I will note that it's definitely not for everyone. The use of fantastical, "trippy" illustrations of snails and other fantasy woodland creatures could be a bit confusing for those approaching this book looking for more detailed information. I would be most likely to recommend this to teens and other creative young people, especially those whose friends or family may be queer or trans and are just starting to find out more about the LGBTQIA community. I appreciated that the book addresses the concept of a healthy relationship in addition to exploring identity! Also, there was an especially nice section towards the end about creating zines which I think teens would enjoy.
Whether you're a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, someone who has a family member and/or friend who is, or you're simply curious about queer & trans identities, A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities is a super useful and accessible title. It covers not just identities you may have heard of before, but more within the spectrum of queerness, a facet that is helpful not only for people seeking information out of interest, but for those that may still be questioning their own identities.

A Quick & Easy Guide is told from the perspective of snails, the lead being Iggy, a pet of a queer human who brings the snail to fireside chats with their friends. At one of these outings, wild snails stumble upon the humans and wish to know more, to which Iggy responds with the information that follows.

The book addresses romantic identities (aromantic, panromantic, etc.) as well as sexual or gender identities. There's a good discussion on asexuality and the varying "degrees" therein. Several terms that don't get spoken of enough (autochorissexual, etc) get attention herein, as well as important chapters that talk about the difference between sex, gender, sexuality, and romantic identities. This can be hard to grasp for those new to the terms, but this guide takes the time & is utterly patient when explaining the differences.

Not only does this book talk about labels, though, but also about respect: for oneself, for your partner(s), and others in the LGBTQIA+ community. Using the term queer isn't for everyone. You have to respect yourself & be careful when thinking about things like coming out of the closet (is it safe? do you have a support group?). There are whole sections on what it means to be trans, gender expression, dysphoria, communication and ways to identify toxic relationships. The communication section is especially essential reading because as Iggy says at one point (paraphrasing here): just because you're in the same community doesn't mean getting hurt isn't possible.

The method of telling the story primarily through the snails' perspectives felt like a bit of an odd choice. Humans make a few appearances to talk about their experiences; there are segments detailing the life of Sproutlings, who highlight the topic of the section their segment follows. Perhaps this narrative choice was to make the information more accessible to a younger audience? Odd as I found it at first, as a thirty-something, the storytelling by a snail was not actually a detriment to the overall work.

The art was good itself, though the coloring left something to be desired as, aside from the Sproutlings segments, it was almost entirely in shades of pink with some accent colors. This reliance on what felt like a limited color palette made what was otherwise a well drawn graphic novel feel a bit one dimensional.

Would I recommend this? Heck yes. While there were sections that I would've liked to get more coverage (i.e. plus size trans individuals), overall this guide is a good general one for queer & trans identities. It's one that will educate and hopefully inspire some conversations that were previously difficult to open. Whether you buy this for yourself or someone else, the person reading it is sure to find something important to them within.
Personally, I am not a part of the community but I found it very interesting to learn more about it, so I better understand. The book made it a fun reading experience to not only learn more, but, for many people, possibly help them understand and accept themselves. I think it is a great background for a book, and I am sure it will help many ignorant people, like myself, to get a better understanding. It is great to find more and more books like this on the marked so the world can get more knowledge and hopefully, a more accepting view of this community.

The book was an easy and quick read, I really liked the idea of the drawings and how the book is told, but I found the art a little too trippy, which for me took focus away a little bit.
The title says it all! It actually IS a quick and easy guide to all identities, sexual orientations, romantic orientations and all things queer. If anyone ever says "this book is not for me because I am [insert anything here]", they are lying because this reflects on how having their identity acknowledged and valued is about EVERYONE.
This book is part of the road to become a better human by having empathy and respecting others, just like that. The writing is very simple and easy to follow so I think kids and teenagers would benefit greatly if there were a copy of this in every school and library.

I'm glad I picked this is up and that a book like this is being published.
*I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley/OniPress in exchange for an honest review.

A book I wish I had access to when I was younger and a book I’m glad exists now. For years I struggled with my own sexuality believing I had to either be straight or gay. As I grew, how I identified changed especially with the confusion. When I finally came out as bisexual I felt such a huge relief, it felt the most applicable “label”, but as the book discusses - language evolves, and ultimately the label is there for you and not to classify yourself in a box. These days I’m more than happy to describe myself as bi/pan/queer and whatever the label means, I’m more than comfortable with my feelings and sexuality. There is something so very comforting in self-identifying and finding a community of people like you. That reason alone is why I could never personally be 100% comfortable with the “who cares about labels?” responses that can happen when sexuality is discussed, because that time where you find a community can be very special.

The story is told through a lesson from snails about the humans they come across - humans are amazing and complex - and curiosity and the desire to learn propels us forward. Generally I’m not very good at saying “this book would be great for [age group]” since I find it depends on the individual, but I would for sure love to see this available in high school libraries and available to 11+ demographic. I think younger children certainly could handle topics of gender identity and sexuality (if anything I believe we underestimate them!) but I think would require more bite-size learning :)

To my fellow LGBTQIA+ folks out there, you are all valid.
This is a really cute guide to identities and sexuality, with fun, "hippie"-style artwork that uses snails and mythical critters as well as people to portray the knowledge being put across. I appreciated the attention paid to details that are often not given their fair share of attention, such as dysphoria, a trans person's right to NOT choose surgery and/or HRT, the asexuality spectrum, and more. There's a ton of good content in this book and I would totally recommend it to anyone in the middle school or young high school age range.

The only reason I'm knocking off a star is because I think the book tries way too hard to be "cute" and "fun" at times, to the point of silliness (which can be off-putting for a lot of kids in this age range as they try to seem "adult" and "cool"), and because the artwork is so over-the-top that I think it takes away from the message at times.

That aside, this is absolutely the kind of book that every school and public library needs to have on their shelves, and I will happily be recommending this graphic novel for years to come.
Let's first talk about how gorgeous the art of this book is. I like how it incorporated both real and magical creatures. That it created a world, a safe-haven for LGBTQ+ people, but at the same time this world is still open for self-understanding and intrapersonal communication.

This is definitely a wonderful book to start with when you are divulging into the topic earlier, wanting to learn what it is all about, trying to be knowledgeable for yourself, friends, or for your family. It is also an amazing addition to your tomes if you are a well-knowledged individual who just wants to learn more. To hear what another author might say.

It is definitely marvelous how the author decided to turn the information sharing into a graphic novel. In my opinion, it is so much easier than looking in a book full of just wor.ds To some, those kinds of books can definitely be intimidating. And this form really gave it an easier vibe.
My review of this book should really be split into two parts: the art and the text. The art was not my style; it felt very trippy and I didn’t like the choice to have the information imparted by talking snails.

There were a few pages with actual human characters talking about their identities and those were, for me, the best pages in the book. It felt kind of dehumanizing to have animals doing the instructing and to have invented creatures called sproutlings illustrating the terms.

Which is a shame, because the actual information in the text is very good and presented in a nicely scaffolding way, moving from absolute basics to some more in-depth discussions, and it also throws in things like what makes a relationship healthy vs toxic, which is important for anyone entering a relationship regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

There is also nothing R-rated in this book, so it could be shared with younger teens and tweens without parents worrying about “appropriateness”. (Other than the fact the art looks the way I imagine a drug trip to feel!)

In a nutshell: I love the idea of this book and I love that Oni Press is doing this series. The information in this book is undeniably good… but the art was not at all for me and I found the non-human characters distracting and uncomfortable.
This is a simple and non-judgmental look at Queer and Trans identities.  I loved the easily understood term definitions, healthy relationship advice,  coming out advice, and straightforward talk about depression and dysphoria.  .  there is a great deal to learn within this non-threatening format using cartoons and characters.  This book is great for everyone, literally, youth, parents, friends, educators, family members etc. etc. etc  This book is great for those who don't know anything about queer or trans identifies and equally good for those who believe they know lots about these topics.   There is sooo much in this little book.

'There's no right or wrong way to be gay, straight, male, female, of whatever you are.""

"You cannot control anybody's reactions, but you can control how you confront those reactions."

"Keep your head held high, understand that there is nothing 'wrong' with you and that you deserve love and respect, no matter the outcome of this "'Big Reveal'
What a brilliant, clear and necessary book! I absolutely loved that the authors talk about the Queer and Trans Identities, but also devote a few chapters on how to build a good relationship, and how to recognize red flags.

I really enjoyed the colorful illustrations, and the idea of including some adventures from The World of The Sproutlings to illustrate the journey of queer characters. I didn't really like the font used in this world, as it was sometimes hard to read it, but in the end I got used to it.

I need to mention that they included at the end of the book some cool bonuses: "Design a Friendship Jacket", "Write a letter to your Dear Past or Future Self", "Create your own Sprout-Sona", and "How to make a mini zine". Those were very nice additions to the book.

I feel like so much as been explained in a matter of a 100+ pages, and I can't wait to read their other book "A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns". I would highly recommend it!
I LOVE THIS BOOK! Someone help me decide whether it's the illustrations or the easy-to-understand information inside that's what I love best - together, they're perfect for what they're trying to do (and okay, won't lie, those illustrations tho...). This is a wonderful book for educating anyone who needs help (in a loving, and friendly way), for parents whose children are navigating a queer and/or non-binary world, and also for young people or fresh-out folks who "feel different" and are just starting to figure it out  A fun and easy-to-read book like this, especially with all its happy happiness and encouragement toward self-love, also gives them language they can use. Honestly? This book needs to be everywhere.

I think my ONLY "not girly-screamingly-excited" feedback, perhaps, would be that the title is a little bland for the rest of it. Maybe could have been a little more exciting - "quick and easy" is definitely important, so people understand it's not written for academics, but "queer and trans identities" sounds kind of "undergrad gender studies".