Death Prefers Blondes

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Jan 2019

This book is amazing! It you're hooked in by the premise of drag queen heist, you're in for a treat - that delivers everything you want it to and more. But this book also becomes a wonderful, poignant book with deep character development and one of the best ensemble casts I've read in years. So, so much fun.
So many stereotypes, so little time. Death Prefers Blondes is yet another promising premise failing to live up to its potential. There are a few things that are great about this book but they aren’t enough to lift it out of the morass. Drag queens, socialites, robbery, and revenge should be a winning combination, a fresh twist on a tired genre, but Roehrig fails to deliver. Switching POV from one paragraph to the next is only one of several major faults in this work, jarring the reader out of the narrative and leaving them scratching their head. There’s nothing wrong with internal monologues but in this case the inconsistent shifts, coupled with telling, rather than showing the reader the significance behind words and actions, took a great deal of fun out of the narrative. And the generic characterizations, barring the drag queen aspect, were just that: generic and boring. Add ten or even twenty years to each of the stated ages of the characters, and almost nothing in the story would be any different. Their interactions, the problems they face, their dialogue, everything with the exception of high school attendance, would be exactly the same and it wouldn’t change the story at all. Substitute college or job and it’s still exactly the same motivations and relationships. There’s really nothing that sets these characters or their worlds apart. Tired tropes of “poor little rich girl,” “misunderstood loner,” and “little-brother-fighting-for-recognition” have all been done before, and much better. It’s sad when a story that could be great has a stumbling start and never succeeds in rising to the occasion. Two stars (one for the premise and one for pity.)
Received an ARC from Netgalley for an honest opinion.

I will start this review with the fact that I wanted to like this book more.

Unfortunately, over plot got in the way. This is yet another book that falls in the "The Plains of Passage" box. The publisher wanted it longer, and the author threw in unnecessary information to make it longer. With this book, it was the personal relationships of the boys, this was not germane to the story at all. Another problem was the over detailed heist scenes. I had to speed read through most of it, because I got bored. Also, this book really needs to pick a genre and stick with it, because i'm not sure if it knows what it is supposed to be.

I was happy with the overall idea of the book, I enjoyed the ending. It was just hard to get to the ending.
Death Prefers Blondes is a smart and witty novel that is reminiscent of the old caper movies. It has great humor and a good lesson at the end. The teenagers have hilarious drag queen names and find that yes crime does pay...very well. Margo is a great character and Caleb Roehrig has a hit on his hands!
I love a good heist story; I'm just a sucker for a caper, particularly when I get to ride along with an rag-tag band of heroes.  It's my catnip, so I was predisposed to enjoy Death Prefers Blondes by Caleb Roehrig.  Of course, I have a feeling the queens would object to my use of the term 'rag-tag'.

This new offering takes off in what I've come to think of as classic Roehrig fashion.  We're dropped right into the action, which really appeals to readers looking for a fast-paced novel.  The thing which elevates Roehrig's work, however, is the character development that follows.  It cannot be easy to introduce five important characters simultaneously and give each of them drag personas as well, and then get your audience to care about them.  Here, it's been handled with a deft hand.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the author once again brings the reader a diverse band of characters that we actually care about. This is an adventurous romp that doesn't skimp on 'the feels' and I cannot wait to add Death Prefers Blondes to my class library in January.
I loved this book! The full review will be posted soon at kaitgoodwin.com/books! Thank you very much for this wonderful opportunity to connect books to their readers!
Ocean’s Eleven with drag queens, murder, romance, suspense, and general hilarity. Amazing plot, character development, and pacing. Smartly written and surprisingly funny and touching at the same time. This is a must-buy for all libraries who serve teens, and I cannot wait to booktalk it!