Pruning the Dead

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Feb 2019

This  story sucked me I. And wouldn’t let me go 7ntil I read the end. Wonderful small town setting with fun, quirky character. How I wish I had some of this computer and gardening skills. W lol written developed story that brought all parts of th town to life and frequently made me laugh and kept me guessing. Looking forward to more of thyou a Garden Squad and their antics.
In this first book in new series we meet Lilly Jayne, a 65 year old grand dame in the town of Goosebush, Massachusetts.  An avid gardener, voracious reader, and respected amateur sleuth, Lilly is well loved in her hometown.  When the wife of her ex-husband is found murdered, Lilly truly believe he did not kill her, so she does her best to help clear his name and ensure the true culprit is brought to justice.

A great start to this new series!  The characters are strong and the story well written.  It includes wonderful blend of characters across all ages, races, genders and income levels.  It truly encompasses a town full of people from all walks of life.  I found myself immersed in the book and had a hard time putting it down. Love the gardening tips as well.  Can’t wait to spend time with Lilly and the gang in the next book.  On my must read list!
In the first installment of the series I have to admit I was delightfully surprised.
Gardening usually isn't my forte however this book may change that. With characters that grew as the book progressed, a plot that kept you turning the pages and an ending that blossomed and surprised this was one story that truly resulted in a wonderful book.
I can't wait till the next installment.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.
This is the first in a new series and I look forward to reading the next one.
The characters were entertaining and the whodunit was top notch.
I highly recommend this book.
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
Cozy New England Murder Mystery
This wonderful story takes place in coastal New England. It utilizes gardening as a backdrop and focal point. The plot of the story has plenty of suspects and motives. It is very well done. All of the characters are deep and well developed. The reader gets invested in the story early on. The different people in the story could be easily found in any small town and in anyone's family. I hope that this is the beginning of a series because I would like to enjoy more of the lives of the townspeople of Goose Bush. I received this book for free and this is my honest review.
I loved this first book in the new Garden Squad series, and I will definitely look for the second one! I am not going to give away what the Garden Squad is... but I could not get enough of it!!
Meeting Lilly and all of her friends was a blast, and I'm impressed with the amount of characters the author was able to include without making it confusing. Along with lots of gardening discussion, the history of the town and historical documents that the main character has are very involved in the story and I enjoyed that very much. I can't wait to see what happens to Lilly next.
This is a wonderful new addition to the cozy mystery genre.  Lilly Jayne is the doyenne of the small town of Goosebush, Mass.  She is finally coming out of her shell after the death of her second husband, Alan and getting involved once again in small town life.  Also living in Goosebush is Lilly's first husband, Pete, with his new wife Merilee, who has been making enemies left and right.  When Lilly goes to participate in a town gardening project her friend Delia finds Merilee's dead body in the tool shed.  And when Pete is arrested and charged with murder, Lilly can't believe Pete is guilty and along with her friends try to find the true culprit.  This is a wonderful slice of small town life, with beautiful gardens, interesting characters and a well developed plot.  I hope to see more of Lilly Jayne in the future.
It was delightful to spend time in beautiful Goosebush, Mass with Lilly Jayne and her friends.  Goosebush is a beautiful small town and I loved the fact that the book began with  a description of the town so that I could imagine where everything was taking place.  Lilly is a sixtyish widow who has been grieving the death of her beloved husband Alan for the past two years, but as the book begins she is starting to get back into life by opening her beautiful gardens for a party with the help of her friends Delia and Tamara.  Most of the town is in attendance including Lilly's first husband Pete and his new wife Merilee, who is the town diva.  When Lilly becomes involved in the town's garden reclamation project and Delia finds Merilee's dead body in the garden shed, Lilly uses her knowledge of the townspeople to help figure out who did it.  I thorougly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.