The Last

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 May 2019

I think I’m just not in the mood for this type of book right now, because normally I love Tawna Fenske’s stories, but this one didn’t work for me. Mostly because of Sarah’s incredibly immature idea of love. Ian is right there in front of her, a man she has known for years, who is basically her best friend and she has scorching hot chemistry with. Someone she loves being around, someone she can always be herself with, someone who understands who she is, where she came from, what she dreams of. But she doesn’t want any of that, because love is stalking someone on Facebook and driving past their house in the wee small hours of the morning because you suspect he’s banging the secretary.

Seriously, WTF is the matter with this woman? She’s supposed to be 30 not 13. The kind of marriage he’s offering sounds pretty good. Although I could understand if she wanted to wait for a breath-stealing kind of lover who would sweep her off her feet and wine and dine her, showering her with romantic gestures and being basically unbearable with all the clichés. At least that would be understandable in a hopeless romantic kind of way. But that’s not what she’s looking for. She’s looking for someone to stalk and I… really can’t.

Ian isn’t perfect either with his whole No Emotions! thing for the last decade. I mean I get the reason and all, but it’s pretty hard to believe in it when we only ever see him with Sarah, when he is anything but closed off and remote. He even tells her he loves her, even if it’s not the big romantic love she and he both think they should expect. He’s funny and caring and pretty adorable – the two of them together are. Which I think was my biggest problem with this book. They’re great together right from the start, there is no reason why they wouldn’t be great together while married. There is nothing standing in their way. Which means there is no plot. Only ridiculous obstacles thrown in to stop this from being a two chapter book and a HEA.

Like the contract. What even is that contract? It doesn’t fit at all with the character we see. Sure, it fits the hard working businessman that he tells us he is, but we never see him, so the contract seems ridiculous.

And the love confession. Argh! I hate it when this happens. (Spoiler section removed, but can be viewed on Goodreads.)

Ugh. I haven’t the patience for these manufactured shenanigans (and yes, I know, it’s fiction and all manufactured, but you know what I mean. And if you don’t… you need to read better books). So let’s just say YMMV on this one and probably don’t read it when you’re in a bah-humbug, get-off-my-lawn type mood and instead are in love with the world and want to read some sex. There is sex in this book. Possibly that’s all you need to know. There’s also a very sweet weightlifting scene. And that’s all I got. It didn’t work for me, but that’s because I’m a grouch. If you aren’t, then enjoy!
The Last Book 3 of the List series (all can be read as a standalone)

5 Stars

Amazing! Fabulous story written by Tawna Fenske! Very well written. Loved the characters and the plot!

"Love-- her face glows with it, her whole body radiates with rays like sun glinting off water. My throat tightens, and I take a few deeper breaths to keep myself from bawling."

Very highly recommend!!
Ian fell for Sarah when they were young college friends...and he was her very best friend and confidant. But when his brother passed away unexpectedly during their sophomore year and Ian left school the two drifted apart. Now its 10 years later and both have turned 30 - and their college promise to get married if they were both still single at 30 come rushing back.

Since his brothers death, Ian has shored up his heart from love. He wants a marriage of convenience, a partnership and friendship, and he absolutely won't let his heart into the equation. And to his utter delight, Sarah agrees. While the two of them get reacquainted, their passion for each other is the one thing they can both agree on. But when Sarah realizes she's fallen head over heels, she know she has to tell him.

This couple! I adored them from beginning to end. Sarah never thought of Ian as anything but her best guy pal, and Ian shut himself off for ten long years...but he's fooling himself with his assurance that he can shut down the tenderness he once shared with this amazing woman.

The Last is funny, sweet, tender...and sexy as hell! This one will leave you fanning yourself almost from the offset. So. Damn. Good. And an added bonus - fans of Fenske's Ponderosa Resort series will see some familiar characters, totally unexpected, and seemlessly woven in.
Heat Level:  🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 out of   🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Heart Level: 💘💘💘💘💘 out of  💘💘💘💘💘

LOL's:  😂😂😂  out of  😂😂😂😂😂

Favorite quotes: "Is that a butthole?" "Yep. The feline variety"

"Love is daisies and mushy cards, sure, but it's so much more than that. It's trusting another person to hold your heart in their hands without breaking it...It's the knowledge that sharing the heartache makes it easier to bear. It's knowing someone else has your back no matter what"

Oh, this book. This book was difficult to read. Not because there was anything wrong with it, but because it had ALL the feels. All of them. And I was not prepared. There were tears. When you are reading a Tawna Fenske book, you expect the laughs, but those pesky tears will sneak on you!

Ian is scarred by his parent's divorce and his brother Shane's death. He's unwilling to suffer again, so he closes himself off and refuses to fall in love. He associates love with suffering and who can blame him, really. Not after what he's been through. He'll soon learn that sometimes, love will sneak on you.

Sarah has a heart of gold, a social worker that manages a group home for adults with Down Syndrome. She's always wanted the whole package: love, kids, and picket fence. At first, she is sure she can settle for what Ian is offering. But she soon discovers that it's just not enough. Not when she has fallen in love with her old best friend.

This book has been the perfect conclusion to this series. It struck the perfect balance of sexy scenes, laugh out loud moments, and emotion. I definitely recommend, but keep a hanky nearby, just in case. Another winner for Tawna Fenske!
I *really* like this friends-to-lovers story.  Although third in The List series, this was the first I'd read and it can definitely be read as a standalone.  Yes, there were cameos from previous characters, but I didn't feel as though I'd been dropped in the middle of a story (but I will definitely be going back to read the first two books).

The sexual chemistry between Sarah and Ian was off-the-charts and there was plenty of steam.  I just really felt that they truly connected as a couple.  Sometimes friends-to-lovers stories feel a bit forced to me but not this one. Despite not having seen each other for a decade, Sarah and Ian seemed to mesh (which I find to be true with good friends I haven't seen in forever) and it just read as "true" to me.  Admittedly, I kind of felt that Ian's hang-up about love and commitment was a bit overblown but whatever – it didn't kill the story for me.

I definitely recommend this one! It's one of my favorite reads so far this year!

*eARC provided by the publisher and NetGalley. All opinions are my own.*
Really cute! I could have used a little more around the end. The wrap-up seemed really rushed but the overall story was really sweet and something a little outside of the normal tropes we’re all so used to.
Tawna Fenske has a way with rearranging those 26 letters of the alphabet into words, creating great stories.

Though predictable, most romance novels are, this story of Sarah and Ian is nonetheless hot!

You zip right through the story without realizing how fast you’re going until you get to the end. Once at the end, you sit back, wipe your eyes and exhale, “Wow!”

Grab a copy now, but don’t forget about reading others in the series for some background on the side characters!
Sarah is turning 30 and she finds herself with every aspect of her life except romance.    She has a job she loves as a social worker who works with adults with Down Syndrome and she has great friends who convince her to get into contact with her college friend Ian and her world is about to change.

Ian’s past has made him leery to be in love but after Sarah contacts him he wants to act on the pact that they made when they were in college.    If they were both 30 and single, they agreed to marry each other and it seems like the solution to both their problems, what could possibly go wrong?

This friends to lovers story delivers on all fronts with humorous banter, hot chemistry, emotion and is a great addition to this series.    I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy.
I get giddy about friends to lovers stories and this one is so good! The affection feels honest, the chemistry palpable and the sexy times envious. You’re going to love it, no question!

I received an ARC of this book, from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I always get excited when I hear Tawna Fenske is putting out a new book. She can mix sexy couples with the hilarity that life can often times bring. Her characters read like she took them from my own life and placed them in the story. The idea of being in a marriage pact is nothing new, but it's always intrigued me, especially marriage laid out as a business contract. People can't go through a marriage not being in love, can they? It's understandable why getting to know Sarah and Ian as individuals, as they are remembering and learning about each other's baggage after years apart. They not only have a past friendship, but they also have major chemistry. It has the sexy times, the laugh out loud times, and the sweet & humble times that only friends and family can provide. As a bonus, I always enjoy visiting older, cherished "friends" that the other series books have brought to me.
The best was definitely saved for last. This was the series that introduced me to Tawna Fenske. I did not want the series to end, but it went out with a bang!
I fell in love with these characters with the first book, and I did not want to see it all end. Sarah was one of my favorites since she first came on the page. Seeing her get her happily ever after with Ian was worth the wait.
I am really going to miss this crazy cast, but that just means I'll read all the books over again and again.
Saved the best for The Last!

This is book 3 of The List Series. I don’t know how Tawna Fenske does it, but I related to this book and enjoyed it as much as the previous 2!

Sarah and Ian were college best friends.  On their 30th birthdays, they remember they made a pact to marry each other if they aren’t married by the time they’re 30. Doesn’t everyone have this plan with a friend in high school or college? In this case, Ian seems to have his entire life in disarray! The two had lost connection but a drunken text by Sarah helped the two reconnect. Imagine her surprise when he shows up in her doorstep! They decide to have a trial period of their proposed marriage of convenience. I loved that the two committed to being completely honest throughout their relationship of convenience!

As with the previous books in this series, I loved the characters, plot and the flow of the story.  I enjoyed the honest relationship between the main characters, and loved seeing how the two worked out their many issues. Another highly recommended Tawna Fenske book! ❤️

I received an ARC of this book courtesy of NetGalley and Entangled Publishing. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and given freely.
Sarah was celebrating her thirtieth birthday with friends with a pajama night party. Sarah was single.  Sarah managed a group home for adults with Down Syndrome for the past six years. Junie has been her favorite resident and was at her birthday celebration. Than she went on facebook and messaged her friend ian who had been her best friend her first two years of college. They had been inseparable. Now ten years later they still message each other on their birthdays as Ian’s is two days before Sarah’s. Burt he lives about three thousand miles away from her. She took him to come over jokeningly and than he was there. The girls quickly left. Ian was in Portland fulfilling a contract. Sarah thought she would at least be ,married by the time she turned thirty. What Sarah had never known that Ian had wanted more with her but had never told her then tragedy struck Ian and he quit college. He did go back later to get his degree but Sarah had already graduated. As they sat and talked a sizzling chemistry blazed between them like an electrical current Sarah had never thought of Ian that way back in college. Than Sarah kissed Ian and things preceded to have sex. After they were laying face to face to each other Ian proposed to Sarah and was serious. When in college they had decided of both were still single at thirty they would marry. Ian even had legal paperwork drawn up for their rules of their uncommon marriage if Sarah agreed to marry Ian.
I loved this romantic book. I loved Sarah and Ian together and how they interacted together. I was so glad Ian changed his way of thinking right away before he had lost Sarah for good and I loved how he showed her. I love how the author portrayed junie . this book seemed fairly realistic to me . I loved the plot and pace and readi in one setting I just didn’t want to put it down until the end. I loved the characters and the ins and outs of this book. I have a new favorite romance. I highly recommend this book.
My favorite friends to lovers story!

This book has it all.  I’ve enjoyed this entire series but loved Sarah from the first time I read her in The List (don’t worry – you don’t have to read it first).  She is a gal with a huge heart who shares her life with an amazing circle of friends, with an admirable job to keep her life full.  When she decides to connect with her old college guy pal things get interesting pretty darn quickly.
This book features a lot of laughing out loud humor, some steamy sexy scenes and some very heartfelt scenes and situations with the characters.  One of my favorite characters in all of Tawna Fenske’s books is included here which is an extra bonus.  If you don’t just love Junie and her honest and heartfelt approach to life and situations, I would be very surprised.  She seems so genuine is every way and it is a joy to have her part in this story.  I wish she were real so I could spend some time with her myself.
There was also a lot of hot & steamy incidents in this book and I really enjoyed that too.  They felt realistic without being contrived (like they are in some books) and the chemistry between the two characters was more than believable.  The great part is that Tawna infuses the right type of interactions between Sarah & Ian to make both the long-term friendship and the chemistry seem like it is second nature to them both.
This may have been the last book in the series, but it is definitely my favorite out of the series.  If you haven’t read the others you will probably appreciate Sarah’s story even more if you go read them now.  I know I will be starting over with the series to read through concurrently just to get more enjoyment out of this one.  I know it will help me to enjoy the truly hilarious humor from the supporting friends & characters more for the second read.

And please, do read and take the author’s dedication to heart.  She’s absolutely right!
3.5 stars.

Well, this was fun.

This time we have Sarah and Ian, both friends for a long time, but haven’t been in touch with each other very much. However, as they both turn 30, an old proposition comes to the surface, lol.

These guys were really fun, I loved Sarah, giving and kickass; and Ian such a down to earth kinda guy. Which is why I loved these two, such opposites, but both looking for the same: to be loved.

I felt for Ian and his past with his brother, and I understood his hesitations, but I really wanted to smack him sometimes, lol. I was so happy he opened to Sarah.

This was a fun read with characters from the previous books that make it extra fun. I’m sad this series is ending, but glad I’m glad I got to ready and Ms. Fenske has other awesome stuff to entertain myself with, lol.

Anyway, recommending this. :-)

*Thank you to Entangled Publishing and the author for providing a copy for which I’m giving my honest opinion*
This is the third book in The List Series. The Last was a wonderful vwritten story and well developed characters. This has it all and I couldn't but it down.
I received advanced copy from Entangled Publishing via NetGally to read and review and give my honest opinion. Thank you Entangled Publishing and NetGally for letting me read this story.
This is a new author for me and this is book three in the series, after reading this though it is a standalone I am intrigued with the other characters.

I received a copy from Netgalley and I am voluntarily leaving my own honest opinion
OH man! I really enjoyed this book. It was fresh, exciting, cute and fun! Sarah and Ian knew each other years ago and had mostly lost touch. They had the occasional check-in on social media, but overall, hadn't been as good of friends they once had been. When a flirty and seemingly innocent chat message between them heats up and they reminisce about the past and the pact they had once made with each other, things quickly escalate. In true Tawna Fenske style, what could be completely awkward and embarrassing is cute and fun and both the reader and the characters get a good laugh! I loved easing back into the friendship these two had and the chemistry between them is palpable. They’re compatible and balance each other out. Their relationship felt realistic and I was cheering them on! I didn’t want this book to end. I so enjoyed where life took them and can’t recommend this book enough! While it’s fun to catch up on characters from previous books, the other books don’t have to be read for the reader to enjoy this one.
Tawna Fenske is a new to me author and I have to say I am looking forward to reading more of her books. The Last was the third book in The List series, but the first I have read by this author and in the series, and I was not lost in all. This is a friends to lovers romance that will leave you happy and smiling!

Sarah and Ian had a drunken pact from their college days if neither was married by thirty, they would marry each other. When Sarah turns 30, she finds herself thinking of that pact and when tipsy, send Ian a reminder text. So begins their hilarious and heartwarming story that could lead to so much more!

Sarah and Ian were friends first and I loved that about them. They had a great foundation and then add in their steamy chemistry, and we have a great friends-to-lovers story. This was a light read that was fun, steamy and will leave you content!
This is the third book in this series and I think it's my favorite!

I honestly read this book in one day. It was fast paced without feeling rushed. I loved how Ian and Sarah reunited as friends while exploring the sexy aspect of their relationship. There wasn't a lot of angst here, just a lovely flowing story with a lot of steam.

This is part of a series (that I am so sad to see end) but can be read completely on its own. I loved it!