My Cat Looks Like My Dad

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

A simple but adorable story about the comparison between her dad and her cat. Great illustrations that are a collage of colors and patterns. My younger kids love the pictures and story and a simple message relays a great truth.
Ahhhhhhhh!!!! I love this so much! From the art style (which I've never seen executed so well) to the content this book wraps itself around my heart and gives it a big hug. I'm blown away.
I thought this children's book was so funny, and an early reader. This book is about a Dad and his cat that looks like him in so many funny ways. The Mom also has a parrot that looks like her.  I think it's hilarious that our pets look so much like us, and their temperaments follow ours, and "family is what you make it". I was laughing out loud, reading this book!
This was not kindle formatted. A lot of the time I can puzzle through when there is formatting issues but this one the pictures where in jumbles so I couldn't even make up something to read to my kiddo.
That was a twist! A book about family. Not a traditional one, but still a family. I loved the cut-out collage illustrations!
I loved this book and the fun surprise ending! Children will enjoy the colorful imagery and silliness especially with the joy of animals starring in this tale.

I received a copy of this ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is the cutest book! Perfect for animal lovers or families that have a cat. It is funny and has the cutest pictures. I highly recommend this book!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me an ARC in return for a honest review.
Adorable! I loved the bright paper collages full of different textures and designs. The story is easy for children to follow and provides some laugh out loud moments as you compare the cat and the dad. The ending message about what makes a family a family is simple enough for little ones to grasp, but also meaningful and impactful. I would recommend this title for adults to read aloud to small children and children to read alone (ages 4-7).
I always enjoy Thao Lam's books, and this one is no exception. The collage-y art and playful ideas are wonderful, and I love the way that the theme of 'what does family mean' is brought up in a weird and organic way. I will definitely be recommending this.
This children’s book is going to charm and surprise both children and adults!

Both the text and the illustrations are hilarious, while the message of the book has far-reaching implications for discussions of family and love.

The dad, a Napoleon Dynamite lookalike, in addition to his striking similarity to the cat’s appearance, is also shown partaking in many of the same activities as the cat, from drinking milk to taking naps.

The first read of this book is enlightening in terms of its content, but it truly deserves many successive reads, simply to revel in the detail of the illustrations and the variety of mediums Lam has used in crafting these amusing and colorful scenes.

Anticipate some thoughtful discussions after finishing this book with children.

Thank you to Owlkids Books and NetGalley for the advance readers copy of this title.

My Cat Looks Like My Dad – Written and illustrated by Thao Lam

Owlkids Books – Children’s Fiction – Release date: 15 April 2019
We often hear that pets and their owners resemble each other. We can see from the cover that there are some likenesses. Both Dad and the cat are ginger-haired and blue-eyed. As we read on through the book we learn they have similar tastes in foods, naps, and singing. They even share the bad habit of never replacing the toilet paper roll.

Thao Lam's collage style adds dimension to the illustrations. Some show Dad and the cat at their morning stretches on Dad's yoga mat, or Mom covering her ears as cat sings along with Dad at the piano. Others show how the narrator is similar to Mom.

Besides the wonderful scenes of Mom, Dad, and the cat - there is also a surprise ending that will have readers laughing out loud.

Great for read-alouds, bedtimes, or any other time that a book and a laugh are called for.
This book cracked me up! In the story, the narrator compares his dad to his cat and finds they have many things in common (including their looks). The both love milk, they both start their mornings with stretches, they both take naps in the afternoon, and are afraid of heights, to name a few. Some of the similarities that the author draws made me laugh out loud, and the patterned paper collage illustrations are unique and add to the overall charm of the story. While it is lighthearted and funny, the twist at the end delivers a touching message that "family is what you make it."
As a former teacher, I always enjoy finding a book that is fun and engaging and also potentially useful in a lesson. This book could be used to teach comparing and contrasting, and I can imagine that kids with pets would have a blast writing their own personalized version of this story!
What is a family you may ask?  Defining family can be a tough thing as the word “family” alone is a powerful word that conjures up multiple different meanings and emotions. ... Some might say a family can be anything that involves love.

New from the creator of "Wallpaper and Skunk on a String" this delightful book redefines the typical family.  Dad and his beloved cat share special bonds.  Their grand orange coifs of hair are quite similar, they both love lapping up milk, they enjoy yoga stretches, napping together, and entertaining musical interludes woven throughout their day.  Mom, on the other hand, has a completely different relationship with a certain avian who has similar funky hair, piercing crystal blue eyes and that loves to bust a move with her.

A surprising twist at the end of the story will spark giggles as it exposes just who is narrating this fun, witty tale.  The stunning paper - collage illustrations bring warmth and life to the meaning of the minimal text and highlight a beautiful cameo of a modern day family for you to enjoy.  Highly recommended.
I knew I was going to love this due to the title and it did not disappoint.

Though probably intended for younger auidences I still completely adore it and feel like anyone with pets would feel the same.

Super adorable, cute drawings, and overall just made me feel happy.

Loved it! Would recommend.
I wasn't exactly sure what to expect with a book called "My Cat Looks Like My Dad" but the Dad kind of reminded me of my Dad (though we have never had a cat) so I had to give it a go.  In addition to this author's Dad looking like their cat and vice versa, they also seem to have a lot of other things in common - like what they like to eat and drink and how they spend their day!  While the story may be a bit on the stranger side, the illustrations were a lot of fun to look at.  They looked like they may have been made of paper piecing and some really, really cool patterned paper at that. (The Dad's outfits are really retro and fun!)  I really ended up enjoying this book a lot.

I received a free e-copy of this book in order to write this review, I was not otherwise compensated.  This book will be published April 15 from Owlkids Books.
Funny, cute story about a dad and his cat. A good gift for anyone who’s pet is their twin/best friend. I think the story/illustrations started a little slow with the dad and cat exactly matching motions. Once you get to the middle of the book and forward it all picked up. An unexpected twist at the end will surely bring a smile to your face. While this book is in the children’s section, I could definitely see this on a cat lover’s coffee table.
You need to read this carefully as there’s a twist at the end that is quite easy to miss (I had to reread it myself because I was going too quickly the first time to fully get it). You have to pay close attention at the end to figure out who the narrator is. Some families will find this book uproariously funny if they have a family member and a pet who also share similar traits. I thought it was cute and somewhat funny, but I think it will have a hit or miss audience. Either readers will absolutely love it or they’ll find it somewhat entertaining but forgettable. It is a great book to use when introducing kids to comparing and contrasting though. And I'm sure littles will find many of the illustrations of the dad and cat doing things like stretching together and getting their tummies rubbed giggle-worthy. Tham’s collage illustrations are on point and I really like them. We will likely add this book to our library because we love to have books by authors and illustrators of Asian descent for our predominantly Asian international school students. Recommended to families with pets who remind them of a family member, those who like collage art, kids practicing their compare/contrast skills, and those who enjoy books with tricksy endings.

I received an ARC of this title from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book is delightful! The art is eye-catching and expressive, and the similarities between Cat and Dad are adorable. I also enjoy the twist in this book. It's a fun one for our pet fans, cat lovers, and general readers alike.
This is my first time reviewing a Netgalley Book via my Kindle. I am not sure it uploaded correctly because the text and illustrations were off center.
However, I got the idea of the book and it was quite funny and enjoyable. I would very much like to see it at the library!
My Cat Looks Like My Dad by Thao Lam is a wonderfully illustrated book for anyone that loves animals. This is a wonderful story about the meaning of family and how we treat our family pets.

Simple sentence structure and color illustrations will leave the target audience completely engaged from cover to end.

I would highly recommend this book for classrooms and your personal library. The fun, quirky text, and bold retro style illustrations will guarantee that you will want to read this book again and again.