The Perfect Betrayal

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jul 2019

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House UK for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
The synopsis sounded both intriguing and exciting and I couldn't wait to get reading. However I found the beginning of the story confusing, which made it hard to get into. Having got over that, I found the plot mysterious, and very creepy. I had two ideas of a potential outcome, and I couldn't decide which of the thrilling ways it was going to go. It turned out to be neither, and I would never in a million years have been able to forsee the conclusion to this story.  Unfortunately although a huge suprise, my jaw dropped, as I couldn't believe my disappointment!
Sadly for me the premise wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped and it's three stars from me for the middle section which I did enjoy.
This was a really good book and kept me enthralled through beginning to end. I kept thinking I knew where it was going, then changing my mind before changing it back again. So many different theories running through my brain!!!

Tess has lost the love of her life, Mark and is trying to come to terms with her loss. She is trying her hardest to go through the motions for her and her 7 year old son Jamie’s sake. Her mum and brother are worried about her and concerned that she is suffering from depression so her mother arranges for a grief counsellor (Shelley) to visit. Tess forms a bond with Shelley but starts to suspect all may not be as it seems when she receives numerous calls, fears she is being followed and is convinced that someone has been in her home.

I enjoyed the book and look forward to more from this author. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced read copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
The Perfect Betrayal is one of those books that has you hooked from the very first chapter ,so well plotted and the characters are very well  drawn .It is a harrowing story of love and loss and the effects of this .Quite a sad story really ,it is difficult to say too much without spoiling it for other readers .When I had finished this book it did make me reflect the story I think it is one I won't forget .Many thanks to the Publishers ,the Author and NetGalley for my review copy in return for an honest review
A suspenseful, well plotted and well-written book. Lots of twists and turns packed with emotion. I am looking forward to reading more from this author. Recommended.
The Perfect Betrayal is a gripping read that keeps you guessing, with an unexpected ending.
This story had me completely suckered in right from the start - I read it in a day or so because I needed to find out who was terrorising Tess.
Tess has gone through the trauma of losing her husband in a plane crash, and now she i being terrorised with silent phone calls, and being followed. What is her brother in law Ian really up to? Is Shelley in cahoots with him? Is Shelley the sympathetic friend that she seems to be? Well worth a read.
Tess is devastated by the tragic death of her husband in a crash.  It soon becomes apparent that her husband was keeping secrets from her, a new business, a loan from his brother and a person who keeps ringing her and following her.  Enter the almost too good to be true Shelley, a grief counsellor who fronts up and seems to say and do all the right things.  But are her intentions good, or does she have an ulterior motive?
Can Tess keep herself and her son safe?  Who can she trust?
This book was starting to frustrate me, I kept questioning the decisions made by the main character and why she was pushing away the people closest to her and trusting an almost complete stranger in Shelley.
Having said that toward the end of the book there is a twist that I really did not see coming at all!! Suddenly all of the pieces fell into place and to say I was shocked is an understatement.
A very well written book about loss, and mistrust.
Thank you Random House UK, Transworld Digistal and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this title.
Thank you netgalley for this ARC!
Wow!! Loved this book! Did not see the twist at the end coming. Excellent plot. Kept me hooked.
Tess has lost her husband. Ian, her husband Marks brother, is putting pressure on Tess to sign executor power to him. Mark owes him money and he wants it back.
Shelley is a grief councilor, Tess welcomes her friendship until strange things start happening. Is Shelley really looking after Tess or is she working with Ian?
Tess is in hospital. Jamie is missing, she's desperate to find him. Convinced Ian and Shelley are behind it.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC of this unsettling read.
Our narrator, Tess, is someone we’re never totally sure about. It’s evident she’s in the throes of grief and struggling to cope, but her increasing edginess is catching. We begin to doubt those around her as we succumb to her obsessions, yet are always mindful that she may not be telling us quite everything.
When we are first introduced to Tess she’s finding it hard to adjust to life after the untimely death of her husband in a plane crash. She receives unusual phone calls, her brother-in-law is pestering her to sort out the estate as he claims to be owed a hundred thousand pounds, there’s a strange man following Tess and a grief counsellor who inserts herself into Tess’s life controlling many aspects of it and ostracising her from family and friends.
At various points in the novel a number of scenarios were feasible. It’s testimony to the writing style that we’re not certain which, if any, are credible.
The truth, when it finally comes, makes perfect sense. It is - if I’m being entirely honest - not at all what we’re led to believe and a bit of a shock. However, the reality is actually deep,y unsettling and shows the extent to which grief can impact on us.
My thanks to Random House/Transworld Digital for an eARC via NetGalley of this intense psychological thriller in exchange for an honest review. It’s available as an ebook now and in paperback in June.

‘The Perfect Betrayal’ opens with a very dramatic scene with its main character, Tess, in an ICU recovering from a stab wound. The narrative then moves back in time to recount the events that lead up to that day and on occasion there are transcripts of interviews with Tess seeking to explain the circumstances of the stabbing.

Following the sudden death of her husband, Mark, Tess is grieving deeply. She is barely keeping it together even with her 7-year old son, Jamie. When Shelley, a grief counsellor, comes into Tess’s life things improve and yet there are the occasional unsettling incidents that make Tess begin to doubt Shelley’s intentions.

In addition, Ian, her brother-in-law, is claiming that Mark had borrowed £100,000 from him that he needs returned. Yet Tess knows nothing of this and is sticking her head in the sand about dealing with his estate.

Sometimes the shifts in time were a little confusing but I got used to them. Certainly I found this very difficult to put down and again would suggest that it is best read without too much prior knowledge so as not to spoil its various twists.

Death,loss and bereavement are never easy subjects to approach whether in fiction especially when portraying someone coming to terms with a sudden death. I did feel that Lauren North wrote from an awareness of the complexity of grief and a sensitivity to the psychological aspects.

A very impressive debut.
I've never read any of this authors books So when a new author came up to read and review I jumped at it.
OMG..........What a brilliant book "The Perfect Betrayal" by Lauren North.....It had everything you want in a book!
Its gritting, addictive, that will keep you on the edge of your seat, and will have you hooked after a few pages and you could really feel for the main character Tess. The ending was a OMG ending. I didn't see that coming. WoW!

Tess is the main character of this wonderful book and is married to Mark, they have a young son called Jamie. Mark was killed in an aircraft accident. Tess, distraught at the loss if her Husband and is trying to hold everything together for the sake of their young son.
There's a knock on the door and a young beautiful young lady who is a Grief counsellor introduces her self as Shelley come to Tess's aid.
They become good friends.....Shelley helps Tess with her daily life etc and looking after Jamie.
Then, Tess feels something is more to Shelley after Shelley talks about her loss of her child and starts to write things down in a note book, then hides it in a kitchen drawer.

What is Shelley after?

Is Jamie safe?

Mark's brother tells Tess that Mark Borrowed a lot of Money from him and wants it back. Tess is confused and doesn't remember any money changing hands between them!..................

Is he Lying?

Did he lend this money to Mark? and what was it for?

What a book...........Don't start to read this before you go to bed Like I did...............Before you know it the birds will be singing and the sun will be rising! lol......
But I had to finish it!  (Is it bed time yet? lol)

Highly Recommend this book Big 5 stars for The Perfect Betrayal.

Big Thank You to Random House UK, Transwold Publishing for my advanced copy of this book to read for a opportunity to read and review a new and wonderful author Lauren North. All opinions are my own and are in no way biased
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.  A really powerful thriller and the ending was not at all what I expected.  This book hooks you in from the very beginning
This is a gripping story of love, loss and grief and how different people deal with it. I certainly did not expect that ending.
READ IT
THE END
😎
Seriously I would leave it at that but better say more about this top notch pyschological thriller
Tess and her son Jamie are grieving the loss of their hubby/dad after a plane crash
To say Tess is distraught is an understatement and so her Mum involves a grief counsellor Shelley, she is amazing.....too amazing...who is she really and what does she want?
Ian ( hubby’s brother ) appears on the scene demanding £100,000 that he says he is owed....
Shelley and Ian seem to whisper together, Tess starts to write things down as her suspicion’s get worse.....something is going to happen..................the book starts as she wakes in ICU with stab wounds, the Police are there, Jamie is missing....where are Shelly and Ian???
To say more would be to give too much away but this book is made for devouring, it will get you and when you get to the end you will be shaken
Flawless psychological thriller, involving and shattering
Perfect betrayal, Perfect Book
READ IT!!!
10/10 5 Stars
This book has all of the qualities of the perfect psychological thriller. Deftly layered with emotion and suspense it starts off fairly slowly but the tension builds into a dramatic sequence of events.

The story is told predominantly from the point of view of the main character, Tess, along with snippets from her grief counsellor and brother-in-law. Tess’ conversations that she had with her late husband were heart-breaking. It was an incredibly emotionally charged book, well written and beautifully plotted and so cleverly constructed to help conceal major reveals in the natural progression of the story.

“The Perfect Betrayal” is my favourite type of psychological thriller - where the voices and thoughts of the characters and the reader’s own imagination complement the story. From the beginning, it is an absorbing and riveting novel as well as being massively addictive. The main protagonist, Tess, did not know who to trust and nor did I.

Highly recommended, this is a sad and harrowing story of grief, love and loss, with a fulfilling but shocking finish. Lauren North’s writing is just exquisite and I will be looking out for her next offering.

[Thank you to #NetGalley, Random House UK/ Transworld Publishers, and Lauren North for my free ARC of #ThePerfectBetrayal in exchange for an honest review.]
'I THOUGHT SHE WAS OUR FRIEND. I THOUGHT SHE WAS TRYING TO HELP US.'
After the sudden death of her husband, Tess is drowning in grief. All she has left is her son, Jamie, and she'll do anything to protect him - but she's struggling to cope.
When grief counselor Shelley knocks on their door, everything changes. Shelley is beautiful, confident and takes control when Tess can't bear to face the outside world.
But when questions arise over her husband's death and strange things start to happen, Tess begins to suspect that Shelley may have an ulterior motive. Tess knows she must do everything she can to keep Jamie safe - but who can she trust?

***
WOW!!! What a fantastic book!!!
I am struggling with what to write as I will not give any of the plot away to you!
This was a really interesting read for me , I really thought I knew what was happening , and then wow what a twist at the end .
This book slowly builds to a great ending. Hard to say anymore without giving things away. The story is mainly from Tess points of view in terms of flashbacks to the past 2 months and occasional points of view of Ian and Shelley.
The characters are so well written and you just find yourself right there with them seeing what they see.
The plot was phenomenal.
The ending ... wow did not see that coming!
If I could give more than 5 stars I would!!!
Highly highly recommend!!!

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for the ARC in return for an honest review .
I had rather fallen out of love with psychological thrillers – quite apart from finding them so very difficult to review, I was beginning to find the story lines a little samey, with “jaw-dropping twists” that were disappointing me a little. If you’ve ever begun to feel the same, I’d urge you to try this one – a first psychological thriller from an author whose books I’ve previously enjoyed (but under another identity), and something so different and original that it rather took my breath away.

The story opens on the day after son Jamie’s birthday, and the reader finds out on the very first page that Tess is in hospital, has been stabbed, and that her son is missing. And then we go back to 55 days before that birthday, slowly approaching the critical date, the narrative punctuated by extracts from interviews and snippets from statements, all unexplained. It’s a compelling structure, as you become involved in all the twists and turns of Tess’ life, question what might have happened, and always with that ticking clock in the background.

The whole reading experience was so very unsettling, with the knowledge that something dreadful was going to happen – and when I reached the end, all I wanted to do was go back to the beginning, to make sense of how I could have got the whole story so entirely wrong.

It begins with a quite overwhelming depiction of loss and grief – quite wonderfully done, desperately moving – which lingers throughout as Tess focuses on motherhood and attempts to go through the motions of day-to-day life. She turns away from her family – her mother and her brother – but finds alternative support from grief counsellor Shelley, which turns into a close friendship.

But might it be too close? Tess begins to doubt whether Shelley with her ever-present smile is all that she seems, and her life becomes further complicated by the discovery that her husband had secrets. Coupled with her distinctly unpleasant brother-in-law bringing financial pressure, threatening phone calls, a stalker and an intruder, she reaches the point where she finds it unable to trust anyone – and as you read, you start to draw your own ever-changing conclusions.

The characters are superbly drawn – particularly Shelley, and you’ll find your views on her character constantly shifting, wondering about her motives, slowly growing to doubt whether her care for Tess can possibly be as selfless as it appears.

The tension in this book is cranked up to an almost unbearable level, laced with threat and menace – to give any clue where the story’s going would be entirely unforgivable, but I promise it won’t disappoint. I quite possibly forgot to breath beyond the halfway point – it’s immaculately plotted, so well written, totally impossible to put down until the bitter end… and quite wonderful.

(Review also copied to Amazon, but link not yet available)
Die Spannung ergreift einen sofort. Man ist direkt in der Geschichte drin, das ist der Autorin gelungen. Man erwacht mit Tess nach einem Messerangriff im Krankenhaus. Sie fürchtet um ihren Sohn Jamie, aber sie kann sich nicht verständlich machen.

Dann beginnt die eigentliche Erzählung 55 Tage vor Jamies Geburtstag. Vor 4 Wochen ist Tess Mann Mark bei einem Flugzeugabsturz zu Tode gekommen. Sie ist ganz gefangen in der Trauer, auch ihr 7 jähriger Sohn leidet sehr darunter, der Tagesablauf kommt schon morgens kaum in Schwung. Immerzu hadert sie mit sich, ob sie die verschriebenen Antidepressiva einnehmen soll. Oft ist sie ungeduldig und harsch mit Jamie. Man erfährt, dass Mark sich wohl von seinem älteren Bruder Ian für die Hausrenovierung 100.000 geliehen hat. Er taucht bei Tess auf und verlangt das Geld zurück, doch sie sieht sich noch nicht in der Lage, sich mit dem Erbe und den Finanzen auseinander zu setzen. Aber wieso bietet ihr die Fluggesellschaft eine Kompensation für 2 Passagiere an?

Plötzlich und unerwartet steht dann Shelley Lange vor ihrer Tür. Sie ist Trauerbegleiterin und Tess Mutter hat für sie einen Termin mit ihr gemacht, da sie sehr besorgt um ihre Tochter ist.
Die Erzählung der vergangene Ereignisse wird immer wieder von kurzen Auszügen aus den Vernehmungen nach dem Messerangriff unterbrochen. Das macht die Geschichte spannend und abwechslungsreich. Der Leser fragt sich, was da los ist, was das alles bedeutet. Man wird  zu Spekulationen angeregt. Je näher man dem Geburstag kommt, desto gespannter ist man.
Einige der Ereignisse klären sich auf, Tess sieht manchmal etwas klarer, doch das Buch strebt ungebremst dem Höhepunkt entgegen. Der Roman findet ein überraschendes sehr  realitätsnahes Ende und lässt einen mit nicht ganz einfachen Gefühl zurück.
Die Autorin weiß anscheinend sehr gut, wie Trauer und Depression sich anfühlen und auswirken. Sie kann das sehr realistisch und ergreifend vermitteln. Das zermürbende Schwanken zwischen trüber Realität und beklemmendem Verfolgungswahn kann den Leser nicht kalt lassen.
Oh WOW!  I 've just finished this.  It has a great twist which I didn't see coming and I was kept guessing as to the motives of Ian and Shelley.  And then at the end i was almost in tears without giving too much away.  Brilliant, recommended read.
I can not recommend this book enough! It’s the right amount of mystery and suspense from the first page through to the last. Tess only has Jamie her son after her husband dies and suddenly Shelly arrives to help, is she too good to be true? Is she trying to steal jamie?