The Perfect Betrayal

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jul 2019

Another twisty tale and it was a twist I was not prepared for. Characters were believable and story really tight and realistic. Enjoyed this a lot and thought it ended on quite a sinister note! Would recommend!
A very compelling book, easy to read, but that said, almost ‘unputdownable’ , after the death of her husband Tess is finding it hard to cope, a new ‘friend’ and her brother in law, both have expectations of Tess. “What is it they want? Each page I am thinking that I have the story sorted, then the next I think something else. The end was quite a surprise (no spoilers). Read and enjoy.
This book had me hooked from the get go. It continued to intrigue me all the way through. I felt at times I knew where the story was taking me but it twisted and turned in different directions and left me wanting to read later than I should to see where it landed next. The story has many levels and it was difficult to not to feel sad at times and if someone has gone through a situation like this it may probably help get perspective. A loved the book
It's very difficult to review this book without revealing the story. What I will say is that I loved it! It had me hooked right from the beginning. I was really drawn to the main character, and in turn found myself disliking others, in protection of her I think.
The ending just hit me right between the eyes, I did not see that coming & I am just more protective of Tess more than ever!
A really good read, you find yourself thinking one thing & then you find out you were wrong all along. Stayed with me long after I had finished it.
Highly recommend.
Thanks to Net Galley for this title.
It took me one week to read this. I know many readers will demolish a book in one sitting but I don’t think I’ve ever done that in my life.  For me to finish a book in a week it has to be good – really good.

This wasn’t just good, it was amazing.  It left me with my mouth agape, jaw dropping, I just never saw that ending coming.

I thought it sounded really interesting from the precis but that was all I read.  Half way through and I saw a review of this book appear on Twitter but I wouldn’t read it, I didn’t want to know anything.  I wanted to savour every page without knowing anything at all except what I was reading.

It keeps you on the edge, at one point it made me physically jump and my heart lurch when something happened.  It’s that unnerving.  It is of course very emotional in places.  Tess is newly widowed and all the turmoil and the heartache and the immense sense of loss is all there and is very raw.  At the same time there are other more menacing things for Tess to deal with on top of her grief.

There are so many things I could say about this story, about Tess, her son Jamie and Shelley who becomes more than just a grief counsellor but a friend too but I don’t want to give anything away.  Suffice to say this is more than a psychological thriller.  It will keep you interested all the way through, you’ll be trying to work things out, who’s doing what and why but will you ever guess?  Read it and find out.
A heart breaking story where you really aren't sure what is going on. You want to follow the story but something niggles at the back of your head that all isn't quite what it seems to be....

Great book to read!
Read and reviewed in exchange for a free copy from NetGalley. I enjoyed this book, North writes well and keeps the story going with suspense and I felt it was plotted and paced well. The final twist was upsetting and the final pages filled with genuine emotion. I'd be interested to read more from this author.
The Perfect Betrayal was a tale of two halves for me. It had some really good elements to it, but I think on the whole I found it just skirting the edges of plausibility; though I will confess that the ending probably makes up for any shortcomings. I did enjoy it don't get me wrong, it was a good easy read, which does I think engage the reader. My main area of concern though is just how far Tess was willing to trust Shelley. I get that she is grief-stricken, that Shelley helps her. but the moments of distrust that Tess had about her would have surely stopped her in her tracks. I don't know, maybe that's what Lauren North was aiming for when she wrote it? See, it's just too tricky to call for me. I know that if I suspected anyone of some of the things Tess imagines she did, she or he wouldn't get anywhere close to my child. Anyway, I'm going to park that thought up there and witter on some more!
Despite my misgivings I did like Tess, and I thought that Lauren North managed to convey Tess's grief well, that feeling that somehow the world should have stopped when her husband died, and the reality that life does still go on for those still alive. I, perhaps naturally, didn't warm to Shelley in quite the same way; I did feel sorry for her with her own grief, but it was difficult to feel anything more than distrust with the way she is written. Similarly Tess's brother-in-law Ian, this question surrounding money he claims he is owed again makes it difficult to warm to him; even if he did bring her dinner one time. The insecurity and danger Tess feels in general makes for an engaging read; particularly the over-protectiveness of her son Jamie, and the mysterious person she keeps feeling is watching her - all combine to create this sense of foreboding that runs through the story.
But the ending. Wow.
I cried from being to end, a woman who has just lost her husband and is trying to get through her grief, when along comes her saviour or so she thinks.
Tess reliese on Shelley her counsellor and tells her everything, but does she?
Tess really doesn't know who to trust even her brother in law and family who can she turn to apart from her son Jamie?
With thanks to Netgalley for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really loved this - the characters were well developed and believable , the time dual narrative worked very well. Loved the ending too.
Wow - that’s the first word that comes to mind after reading The Perfect Betrayal. Once I started reading this it was impossible to put down. There are no words to describe the twist in the tale which completely took me by surprise. A superb book and an author I will actively seek out.
I raced through this book because I wanted to know what happened and the ending, when it came, was a complete shock and the last chapter was another surprise - I thought the twist was going to be very different. I was criticising the main character throughout as I felt she was a bit pathetic, but the ending explained why. Very clever! I only gave it three stars because I was only reading to get to the end and was skimming in places so the arrival was better than the journey for me.
Loved this book couldn’t put it down reading until the early hours I was gripped from the first page there are so many twists and turns what to believe and what not to believe.  When I got to the last chapter I was gob smacked I would never have guessed the ending in a million years I would definitely recommend this book and look forward to reading more of her books.
Wow wow wow, I got so engrossed in this book I read it in three days. I would compare it to be as equally good as BA Paris behind closed doors. Such a great book. I sussed out the twist about 3/4 into the book but I still couldn't get enough of it. This is my no. 1 book read this year.
I love this it was gripping.  The suspence was brilliantly done.  This heart wrenching tale, has it all, mystery, suspence, love, hate, questions to be answered.  I couldn't put it down.
This was a really interesting read for me , I really thought I knew what was happening , and then wow what a twist at the end .Tess is in a state after losing her husband in a plane crash , enter Shelley a grief counsellor organized by her Mum , we soon start to wonder if Shelly's motives are helping Tess or helping herself , add some shifty work colleagues of Mark and an older brother who seems to be out for his own gain and you have the recipe for a great mystery . A definite page turner and I really felt Tess's grief . 5 stars from me
I really enjoyed this book, great story and I loved the characters - the only thing stopping it being a 5 was the ending, I had guessed the twist
I loved this book! I connected to the main protagonist almost immediately and just wanted keep her and her son from anyone trying to do them harm. I felt an instant distrust of the brother in law, and couldn't wait to see what happened next! This book would be a great read for any lovers of domestic thrillers. Thanks to Netgalley for the early review!
I enjoyed how this story was told. It switched between past day Tess, an interview transcript with present day Tess, and present day statements from Ian and Shelley. This helped build the story up from multiple angles and had me constantly theorising in my head.

Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Unfortunately I do not feel it fair to rate this book as I only read the first chapter and just could not get into it so gave up..   I was very interested in it having read the synopsis but did not like the style in which it was written and it did not therefore hold my interest - hence the low rating but that is just personal taste