Yara's Tawari Tree

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Apr 2019

A lovely picture book armed with beautiful illustrations and good story with moral lesson. Love the rhyming. Younger kids will surely enjoy this.
It's an absolutely stunning picture book with beautiful illustrations and an important message about deforestation.
I loved this little book! The illustrations are colorful and lush and it had a wonderful message. It's about Yara and her Mom who live with the land and forage and treat nature with respect. A Tawari tree is in danger from a bulldozer clearing the rain forest and she gently transplants the little tree in a safe place. She comes down with a deadly disease that only the Tawari tree can cure. This little book and it's beautifully rhyming text portray the danger that we face if the rain forests are cleared and the plants that can help others are destroyed. I highly recommend this book for it's beautiful message!
The artwork and the rhymes in this story all work.  Yara lives in the jungle, and while out one day spots a tree barley growing from lack of resources.  She digs it up, takes it home, and replants it where it grows big and strong and produces fruit.  Later this tree becomes a real lifesaver.  As already stated, the artwork is great.  Colorful and engaging.  The rhymes work, and flow well.  It’s just the story.  It seems to lack something, but I can’t quite put my finger on it.  Overall it is a very nicely done picture book.
Young Yara lives in a rainforest environment. She and a relative nurse a sickly plant to health - and then that plant turns out to have medicinal value and saves a life.

This little book has an important, timely message about the codependency between humans and our environment and the importance of taking care of our plants, species and environment so that they can can sustain us. And the book does that without sounding preachy.

I like the intense acid green colour that grounds much of the book by illustrator Joanna Pasek.

I read #YaraandHerMysteryTree by Yossi Lapid via #NetGalley.
Yara and her Mystery Tree tells the story of a young girl and her mother who rescue a struggling plant and provide it with light and nourishment.  The plant then returns the favor when Yara falls ill and is saved from the medicinal qualities of the plant.  This story holds an excellent moral for children; if we protect and preserve the natural world around us, it will return the favor!  It was a lovely little story with even lovelier illustrations!  The colors were just as vibrant as the rhyming couplets and the story was meaningful and taught an excellent lesson!
This is a tricky one. I sort of liked it... but it's kind of problematic, thematically speaking.

The illustrations are lovely, and are my favourite part of the book. The story really let me down, though. Right from the start--in a book that one would think would be about respecting nature, given the setting--we run into problems. There's a plant trying to grow in the forest, but it can't get enough light because of the canopy, and so it's dying. What's the problem? A human girl comes along and assumes she knows better than nature. She digs up the plants and moves it somewhere else. Maybe that plant was dying for a good reason. What if transplanting it and helping it thrive introduces a virulent invasive species into a location where it causes problems? Nature usually knows what it's doing. Humans--as we've proven over and over again--don't.

The second issue I have with this book is that Yara goes on to develop some vague, rare, potentially deadly illness that only this unnamed and possibly imaginary tree can fix. I would have rather seen this part of the story be more realistic. Why couldn't she have had a real disease? Why couldn't she have been healed by real rainforest medicine?

As for the technical aspects of the book... well, they're a mixed bag. The story is told in rhyming verse, but it's a bit clunky in places. And the font that was chosen for all the text makes the whole book look self-published and really amateur... which is a shame because, as I said before, the illustrations are really quite nice. I don't know if they're all that accurate, but Yara and the animals are cute, and the whole thing is so colourful and verdant that it really makes the rainforest shine.

So, overall, this is just an average picture book for me. The illustrations are great, but they're dragged down by a problematic premise and lacklustre verse.
4 stars.
Well done, for kids! More than just words, full sentences, a story.
Entertaining, nice pictures, nice story, I recommend!
An incredibly beautiful story of how beneficial it is to care for our jungles,  beautiful verse and amazing artwork.  I thoroughly enjoyed this tale and I look forward to ordering this one for our library!  Simply beautiful!
Yara and her Mystery tree illustrations which look like paintings especially the vibrant green used in different ways. My child got to learna  bit about rain forest. It is a sweet story with rhyme and some few new words for a first grader.
Bright watercolors and rhyming couplets tell the story of a mystery plant that has the same problem as the maples from the Rush song The Trees, which means other trees are blocking the sun. A little girl gets her mom to help uproot it to a more advantageous place, which comes back to reward them at the end.
Not only are the rhymes legit, the meter and length are perfect. The plot is fine, though it was easy to see where this was going, even for a kid.
I question the need for the bird and the ant, turning this into a fantasy when it would have been just as well straightforward, but that’s my only nitpick.
Nope. Didn't like this one in anyway! The illustrations, the story... nothing. I respect the message but even then it wasn't put in front of it all in a meaningful way.
Pretty pictures and lovely rhymes
rather enchanting at times
inspiring love for all things green
through children's eyes seen.
This is a story of a mysterious tree in the rain forest and how its fruit helps Yara when she is sick. My copy didn't contain any background info, but I was left wondering if this was a real tree and if so, what is it and what does it do?

This book is full of beautiful frame worthy watercolors- but the font didn't match and seemed to cheapen the look they were going for.
A sweet educative and fun book that teaches kids how to love and treasure their forest and trees. Not only for building homes but for medicine as well. A unique way of educating kids about the importance of our forests.
This is a cute story about a mystery plant witch became a mystery tree with the help of a parrot and Yara. She lives with her mom in the jungle. When Yara is sick, surprise, she need  the berries from the mysterious tree she saved. I like the illustrations.
Thank you Netgalley for this book.