Marriage That Works

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Mar 2019

Chip Ingram’s book on marriage is refreshing, insightful, and I believe faithful to what scripture says.  He genuinely desires to help people to strengthen their marriages, and from that writes this book.   Perhaps one of the best quotes in the book that clarified his approach to me was, “Marriage is never about establishing your own rights or telling your mate what he or she is supposed to do.”  I’ve seen this happen enough in relationships to know how destructive that approach can be, and so this book resonated with me.

There’s a large theme in the book on the topic of submission, but Ingram redefines it to be out of strength, and he also writes that, “The truth is that mutual submission is the background of our entire discussion of male and female roles.”  The key word in this is mutual and it is reflected in what he writes.  Ingram steps away form how some interpret texts and brings a fresh perspective that is far more reflective of the larger section of Ephesians 5 than is normally addressed.

Ultimately Ingram desires to see marriage as God honoring in every sense of the word, and feels that healthy marriages flow and stem from that.  As a pastor I cannot find fault with that perspective.  This book will stay on the shelf and be available to couples who it can help, and perhaps even become a part of my marriage preparation materials.