Cover Image: The Making of a Manager

The Making of a Manager

This is a great book for people who are beginners at management or even students taking a course in management.  There are tons and tons of great tips about how to best manage a group of people.  The tips are written in an easy to understand format and it is a quick read!  Make sure you have a highlighter or a notebook to take notes!
I thought it was a really nice touch that at the beginning of each chapter is a visual comic.  One portraying what to avoid and one showing what to aspire to be.  Just something funny in an otherwise serious book.
Thank you netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I've been reading a lot of books on management lately and this is the one that has spoken to me the most. Ms. Zhuo has been a manager since she was 25. When she started, no one told her how to go on. She had to figure a lot of it as she went out. Here, she talks about a wide breadth of topics related to management including how to build trust; how not to waste meetings; how to creat a culture for your own team. I got this book from NetGalley but think I will get it for myself.

This book came out March 19th
Four stars
ARC kindly provided by publisher and NetGalley
An engaging, easy-to-comprehend guide for those interested in management. While Zhou's experience is at a large tech corporation (Facebook), her advice is scalable and actionable no matter the size of your workplace and your particular industry. Highly recommended for aspiring managers and those who wish to lead within an organization.

Netgalley review.
Julie Zhuo has been a manager at Facebook for awhile, but she writes like she still knows what it is to be a brand new manager or someone who has been managing for less than 5 years.  I like the breakdown she does in her book and how she covers meetings and hiring.  I feel that this book would be good for a manager of a small group as well as bigger groups..  She gives examples of her ideas and includes a note section if you wish to read more on a particular subject..  I would recommend this to a new manager and wish  I had it when I went from being a co-worker to being a manger of my group like Julie did.
Love this book! Honest, sincere and full of practical tips. Thank you Julie! You make me reflect on my work relationship and how I approach things. Will apply some learnings to my daily work!
Fascinating read by Zhuo, highly reccomend for new managers.  Points deducted because parts of the book felt like rip offs of Lean In, and instances of management were repetitive (sometimes feeling like despite the name change, the instance was recycled). Appreciated the drawings in  the front of each chapter, would appreciate more concepts being illustrated.
This is hands-down the book I wished I'd had when I began managing 8 years ago.  It definitely would have saved me from making countless & costly management mistakes during my first few years of management.  I will benefit from it as a manager even now!  Many books I've read on management contain a soulless and almost textbook-like approach to the subject.  The Making of a Manager is an incredibly honest & refreshing approach for anyone's first foray into managing a team.  Julie is a masterful storyteller, seamlessly weaving together her own management war stories to illustrate core principles, combined with straightforward & practical frameworks (with examples!) for first-time managers use.  By laying bare many of the insecurities she's felt throughout her Facebook career, Julie becomes the reader's relatable management confidant, covering subjects like one's first awkward one-on-one with a former peer, to giving difficult feedback, to managing managers yourself.  I highly recommend this book for any first-time manager, as a gift for any first-time manager, or as a refresher course for any seasoned manager to remind us that we can and should continue to improve our teams and ourselves.
Finally - an accessible book about management that is written for people other than CEOs in mind! Granted, we need CEOs to be good managers, but there needs to be something for the rest of us too. This book has insights and information that can be put into direct practice for both new and seasoned managers, and it comes with a dash of humor. Highly recommended!
The management book I've been looking for! Whereas most management books are written by CEOs and sometimes stuffy authoritarian types, Julie Zhou writes this for the newbie manager with an accessible, conversational tone. Practical advice you can immediately put to use is peppered with anecdotes from Julie's baby steps in management.