Cover Image: The Scent of Death

The Scent of Death

I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers for an advance copy of The Scent of Death, the sixth novel to feature forensic anthropologist Dr David Hunter.

When a mummified body is found in the loft of St Jude’s, a hospital scheduled for demolition, Dr David Hunter is called in to examine the remains. Unfortunately these are not the only ones found as two more bodies are discovered in a sealed room under the loft floor. This is only the start of a dangerous investigation.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Scent of Death which is another exciting addition to an excellent series. I wouldn’t call it a complicated read as it is extremely easy to follow but there is a lot going on, so I imagine that Mr Beckett spent a good few hours on his plotting and it shows as it all fits together well and most of his twists come as a surprise, except perhaps the last one which was a bit obvious. The opening chapters with the discovery of the bodies is an attention grabber and after that the novel never lets up with plenty of action, personality clashes and an unusual solution. It held my attention from start to finish.

The novel is narrated in the first person by David Hunter so the reader gets to live events with him. I don’t know about this as he seems to me to be such a neutral character I never feel particularly close to him. Yes he gets angry and riled up but he never lets rip or expresses any kind of schadenfreude when those that wish him harm get their just deserts. It’s all a little too controlled for my liking. Having said that he’s a decent, brave and occasionally impulsive man which is to be admired.

The Scent of Death is a good read which I have no hesitation in recommending.
While I'm unfamiliar with the rest of the David Hunter books (just purchased them after finishing this!) it was easy to get into The Scent of Death and I was upset when I reached the end. Tense, thrilling and brilliantly written. 5/5!
An enjoyable read but enough of the grace storyline. This one seemed to drag at first but eventually picked up.