Cover Image: The Grace Year

The Grace Year

This book was fantastic! Full of intrigue, great plot, and writing. Everything about this book made it hard to put down and made me want to read non-stop.
I won't lie ... I initially thought this book was going to be really immature and a knock off of the Hunger Games. Boy was I wrong. The horror in this book is so well done and, for me, it was an unexpected surprise. I wish the romance was amped up a little bit and at times the dialogue seemed forced. But, overall, I think this was a smart spin on a theme that scratches an itch for people who grew up on the Hunger Games.
I  really loved this book and I ended up giving it a 5 stars! I can't wait to add this book to my collection! I adore this book so much! I loved the main character so much and felt for her! I liked the ending but I wanted a happy ending in this. The main character is helping make a change and I love that too.
This book was hard to put down! And the ending made me really emotional.

The Grace Year is such an exciting mix of horror, survival and the best of YA dystopias from 5-10 years back. It really is like a darker, more feminist version of The Hunger Games. I had a really busy week, but I looked for every opportunity possible to sit down with this book and get sucked back into this ugly patriarchal world. Nothing gets my blood pumping and the pages turning like a heavy dose of infuriating unfairness.

It's dark and gory. It's very much a tale of survival against the odds. But what is so odd about The Grace Year is that it’s about women going wild, being jealous, viciously hurting each other, and yet it somehow manages to be a celebration of women and the ties between them. Mothers and daughters. Sisters. Friends. It's quite incredible how Liggett takes these women to their very worst so that we can eventually appreciate them at their best.
When girls turn 16, they're banished so they can release their magic during their "grace year," in order to protect men from being lured by their power. At the mercy of nature, with few supplies, and surrounded by dangerous poachers, the girls who survive return to either marry or be banished to workhouses or fields. Tierney has dreaded this year, and now it has come for her.

Part Lord of the Flies, part Handmaid's Tale, this dark, twisted look at a world that seems both similar and dissimilar from the one in which we live is memorable above all things. The main characters in this one are well drawn, and the narration is powerful. Readers will keep turning pages to see what becomes of Tierney and the other girls, though the tertiary characters are woefully underdeveloped. The book's conclusion is surprising, and will offer readers much to discuss and think about. Perfect for book discussion groups and an engaging, feminist tale that will resonate with readers of YA, both old and young.
This book was hard to put down. Loved how dark it was. The writing was gripping and fast past. I appreciated the feminist tone to the book.
The premise of "The Grace Year" was interesting enough. Unfortunately, I feel the story fell a bit flat in overall execution. It was a little too predictable as well and I felt the story could have been a bit better.
I enjoyed this book. loved how the story was told and the plot. i will be looking for the next novel this author writes.
The Handmaid’s Tale meets The Hunger Games: I loved the world building and had high hopes for this book. However, I think the addition of romance diminishes the message. Overall, I couldn’t stop reading!
This was like a twisted blend of "Handmaid's Tale" and "Yellowjackets" - I love a good dystopian novel with a strong, female protagonist and "The Grace Year" did not disappoint.

I won't go into the premise of the plot because I think I liked it better not knowing what to expect. Liggett did a fantastic job creating an entirely new culture and customs for this story.  Even the language felt inventive and purposeful - adding an entirely dark new meaning to certain words and phrases. There were several twists in the storytelling that I appreciated (so that it didn't land in too-familiar territory) and I liked that there was so much more going on with each character than what meets the eye.

Have to say: I absolutely cannot wait to see what Liggett writes next. It'll be interesting to see what genre she tackles next. This was supposedly YA but it didn't read too juvenile to me at all. So, I think she can take on anything and it would result in another stellar book like this one. Heart-wrenching, fast-paced, and creepy as hell!
I unfortunately did not get a chance to post my review in time, but the ending to this book has stuck with me over the last couple of years. It is a great and thought-provoking book reminiscent of Lord of the Flies. I have recommended it to others over the years.

I really enjoyed this dystopian story of life, love, and friendships!  Felt very much in the vein of Lord of the Flies.  I have given this book to many patrons to read since we purchased.
I apologize. I will not be giving a review of this book at this time. I did not read before it was archived. I appreciate the opportunity that was given. I hope this will not dissuade from offering me ARCs in the future.
This book was terrifyingly creepy, and was not at all what I expected. I thought the cover was going to make this book seem slightly light hearted, and instead was the opposite. It was gripping and could not put it down!
Tierney James has never wanted a veil. She doesn't care for marriage, or the traditions and familial customs it holds, so when she receives a veil, it's a shock for the entire town. During their sixteenth year, in what has been dubbed the 'Grace Year',  the girls of the town are banished to the wilderness to purge them of their so-called dangerous and seductive magic before they return home as women. Braving the wilderness, Tierney learns the truth about the Grace Year and the magic the girls must rid themselves of - but can she get them to see the truth before it's too late?

The Grace Year is a stunningly mesmerising and impassioned dystopic narrative that draws you in and holds your attention to the haunting end.
This was such a great thriller. I loved the twists and turns of it all as the girls figured everything out and it all fell into place. Definitely recommend!
The premise intrigued me when I first requested this, but I'm no longer interested. I tried to read some of it, but I felt it wasn't what I thought.
This was one crazy ride of a book.  I mean fasten your seatbelt and hold on because you have no idea what to expect going in.  I could not put this one down either because I had to know what happened.  Then, that ending!  I mean, seriously!
I wasn’t sure I was going to like this book. It was a bit out of my wheel house but I stayed with it and I was pulled in by Tierney and her unique perspective of the Grace Year and why the people of her home had such beliefs and rules.
I applaud the author for the time it takes to create a culture and the consequences it inflicted.
This. Give me feminist dystopians. Give me young women challenging the systemic patriarchy that attempts to subdue them. THE GRACE YEAR is a combination of the dark and gritty truth of reality mixed with moments of love, friendship, and justice waiting to be served.

I’m not super keen on thriller-esque books (and I think this book would appeal to readers who are fans of those), but I devoured this from start to finish. THE GRACE YEAR is quick and sharp, presenting characters born of this harsh world full of inequality. The nightmare of this world just… *shudders* it keeps you reading as terrifying as it is. The fact that I could see this in our world in a similar fashion, that twinge of reality made it all the more engaging. This book isn’t an easy read and yet it felt important. The breakdown of characters both excellent character development as well as pointing to a greater unspoken truth and perception.

Honestly my only complaint was the romance. I love romance in books but it just felt out of place here, too soft where everything pushed to be sharp. Otherwise I’d absolutely recommend THE GRACE YEAR and all the truths it has to offer beneath the veil of fiction.