The Two Lila Bennetts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

Lila Bennett’s day starts with a glorious win on the case she’s been working on for awhile. She is a high power defense attorney who is on the rise. This time she gets an acquittal for a man accused of bludgeoning his wife to death. Whether he’s guilty or not is of no consequence to Lila, her job is to give the best defense she is capable of doing.
That evening as she goes down to her vehicle after a long day she is faced with two choices. Does she go for drinks with the man she’s been having an affair with for the past 6 months, which in turn will lead her down one path. Or does she go home to her husband who is finally out of the funk he’s been in for ages which will lead her down a totally different path.
Told from the two different perspectives this book is fresh and new and very unique. I appreciate how it is laid out and is just so much fun to read!
Thank you to Netgalley, Liz Fenton, Lisa Steinke and Lake Union Publishing for the copy I got of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Great thriller!   I love the alternate story lines.  Characters are awesome. Will definitely keep you on your toes. Will recommend.  It’s amazing when a book is written by two authors and is so seamless, very well done
Oh this book! This was amazing, the writing was good the storyline was on point,I loved the format, being told from 2 different places. 2 different lives. Kinda like what would happen if you turned right instead of left.  It was cool to read, I had a hard time following at first, but about 20% into the story I was hooked.

This is a fantastic read, I will follow these authors anywhere.
Oh my god, this book was amazing! I didn’t think the ladies could top Girl’s Night Out...but they DID! This was incredible. I loved the alternate storyline theory. I loved how it played out. I loved that even tho Lila was a bit of a shit person you still rooted for her! And MAN I wanted to know “whodunnit” so bad that I read the last 40% in one sitting tonight! Five huge stars!
Lila Bennett, an extremely ambitious and successful criminal defense attorney with a high-powered firm, seems to have everything.  Her career seems to be skyrocketing, and her case win rate is virtually unequalled.  She has a loving, devoted husband, and she enjoys a luxurious lifestyle.  BUT she has been somewhat ruthless, has committed serious misdeeds and has made significant mistakes in her past.  One night, as she leaves work and her boss asks her out for a drink, her life suddenly splits in two — or, at least at this point in the novel, chapters begin to alternate between two different courses her life could take.  In one, she is kidnapped and held captive by someone who seems hell bent on destroying her life as she knows it.  In the other, although she is free and has never been held captive, someone begins revealing her past misdeeds and mistakes, thus forcing Lila to deal with all that comes with these revelations and to come to terms with her past behavior.

The authors, Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke, have done an excellent job in keeping this a real page-turner as the reader toggles between Lila Bennett’s two lives.  Not a heavy psychological thriller, but definitely one that is a tantalizing read with plenty of drama and suspense.  Although this is the first book of Fenton and Steinke’s that I have read, I highly recommend it and look forward to reading their others.
Author collaborations are always a risk, but these two writers produced an excellent novel with one cohesive voice and a plot that clearly benefited from more than one perspective. The two possible lives plot device has rarely been done well, but these authors approached it from a fresh angle and explored deeper questions than we typically get from Sliding Doors-style stories. This was my first time reading a work by this duo and after this I will definitely be reading their previous works.
Holy holy and wow! One single person, two different paths in life, which do you choose? Once again Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke have sucked me into a book, made me root for a character, and wowed me. What a great read!
I loved the concept of this book, but the writing wasn't quite high enough quality to elevate it above a good beach read. The narrative tension was fine, it kept me reading, but there was no deeper insight developed, and relationships were all one-dimensional. I seem to be in the minority among the reviews I've read, so maybe this just fits well under the chick-lit label and I usually go for darker, grittier mysteries. I've recommended it to anyone who likes a fast-paced mystery with an interesting twist.
Opening lines: (Prologue) Wake up! Wake the hell up! The sound of my own voice shakes me out of my deep slumber, and my stomach lurches. I've lost track of time.
Reason I picked up the book: I've read books by Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke before, and enjoyed them.
And what's this book about?
Lila Bennett’s bad choices have finally caught up with her. And one of those decisions has split her life in two. Literally.

In one life, she’s taken hostage by someone who appears to be a stranger but knows too much. As she’s trapped in a concrete cell, her kidnapper forces her to face what she’s done or be killed. In an alternate life, she eludes her captor but is hunted by someone who is dismantling her happiness, exposing one secret at a time.

Lila’s decorated career as a criminal defense attorney, her marriage, and her life are on the line. She must make a list of those she’s wronged—both in and out of the courtroom—to determine who is out to get her before it’s too late. But even if she can pinpoint her assailant, will she survive? And if she does, which parts of her life are worth saving, and which parts must die? Because one thing’s for certain—life as Lila Bennett knew it is over.
Recommended for: Anyone who enjoys a good thriller.
Favorite paragraph: I open the door slowly and don't make eye contact. I don't want him to know that I overheard. That I am now quite sure that my husband or whoever has me in here has ordered me dead.

Because there's nothing else to take from me except my life.
Something to know: It's definitely similar to the movie Sliding Doors - even the authors admitted in the post-script that Sliding Doors was the inspiration for the book.
What I would have changed: Nothing, except one of the endings (yes, there are two!) was a little ambiguous ... no spoilers, though.
Overall rating: 4 stars out of 5.
Where can I find this book? Click here to order on Amazon. Free for Kindle Unlimited right now and only $3.99 for Kindle!
So this book for me was like a breath mint, super refreshing!🤣
It was nice change from your standard start, middle, end of story because this book is two alternatives of the same story happening in the one book. Let me explain.
Lila Bennett is a well known criminal defense attorney, that and her habit of making bad moral choices don’t make her the most popular person. In one version of the story Lila Bennett is abducted and made to face all those bad choices. In an alternate version to the story Lila evades capture and continues living her life but now whoever is out to get her will have to ruin her another way, by revealing all her secrets one by one to her loved ones.
These dual stories play out at the same time swapping versions chapter by chapter.
Lila Bennett would be an easy character to dislike but I had a soft spot for her, I found while she wasn’t an honest character her thoughts and perceptions of herself and her situation were very real. I’m a sucker for second chances even for book characters, Lila makes a lot of bad choices but we get to see her struggle with those choices and with that little devil and angel on her shoulder.
You’ll definitely be satisfied with the ending because in this case you get two.
This book is available to buy in stores now!
The two Lila Bennetts" could be described as Sliding doors meets any psychological/domestic thriller out there. Lila Bennett is not a good person and her bad choices have finally caught up with her. One small decision splits her life in two different lines. In one she's been kidnapped and kept hostage by an unknown person. In the other one she's hunted by someone intent on exposing all her secrets and destroy her life. And like her lifes, I have two problems with this book. One, I couldn't care less about Lila and what happened to her in both lines. And two, I don't think this alternating perspectives structure worked at all.

I had so much expectations with this book because I thought the premise was quite interesting, but sadly it didn't deliver.

Thanks to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
The Two Lila Bennetts
By Liz Fenton, Lisa Steinke
4 / 5 ⭐

Wow, I feel like I just read something straight out of the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. This book has a very unique storyline for a thriller. There are two possible ways this could go for Lila - but how will her life truly play out? It also depicts how the consequences of one’s actions, especially lies and manipulation, can come to haunt your life.

Lila Bennett is a cut-throat criminal defense lawyer at one of L.A.’s top firms. In the courtroom, she will do just about anything to get her clients a ‘not guilty’ verdict, regardless of their true guilt. It seems she doesn’t care who she hurts as long as it benefits Lila. So it goes in her personal life as well. With a file of all the people she has used, cheated, and lied to over the years that’s thicker than a legal dictionary, Lila’s life suddenly rips in two.

In one life Lila is captured and held captive by someone who appears to have a vendetta to destroy Lila by revealing all her lies and secrets. This person is out to ruin her career, her marriage, and her reputation bit by bit. They seem to know everything about her. But what will their final play be?

In her parallel life, she is attacked, but escapes. Lila begins to realize she is being targeted. But can she narrow down who would want to scare her like this? She realizes she’s made far too many enemies, in and out of the courtroom. Lila tries to salvage her life, to make things right from all the damage she has done. Is it even possible to make amends after all her secrets and lies, or will it truly be the death of her?

Thank you @netgalley and @lakeunionauthors for the ARC for review.
Interesting set up, but Lila was a frustrating character to follow. It was pretty predictable, so the twist didn’t really hit hard, and “freed” Lila’s ending (figuring out who was stalking her) was SO abrupt and didn’t make any sense. I thought in general “free” Lila had the stronger chapters, but the ending felt rushed, and didn't really hit.
I believe that we are the results of the many choices that had been offered to us. Good or bad choices, we are who are are because of it. So, can someone change enough to break his path?

I really loved the two Lilas. It demonstrates my thinking, that depending on your choices, your path can be different. But at what cost?

The ending sounded a little bit rushed to me, but overall, I did like the book. Did not see coming any of the twists and turns, so that's that!

I recommend this book if you like to be blindsided, and recommend not reading too much about it before starting it.

Many thanks to Lake Union Publishing for the complimentary e-copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
The writing combination of Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke have done it again ! This is a exciting fast paced page turned that kept me writing into the night. This is a combination thriller and mystery.  The  thrills never end in this book. I highly recommend you read it without interruption so each delicious page can be savored. I love it and highly recommend this book.

Thank you for the ARC. My opinion is my own.  This is a great team of author's that are creating exciting thrillers with fantastic charcters and plots that jump off the page!
Hello readers! I recently finished The Two Lila Bennetts and simply adored it. This was just the thriller I needed and the suspense kept me turning pages as fast as I could. The book follows two story lines- each an alternate to the other. It will really make you realize how drastically your choices can affect your life and the lives of those around you. The Two Lila Bennetts was fantastic!
This book is a "Sliding Doors" version of a suspense novel, showing us two different paths the narrator's life could have gone down depending on whether she went home after work one night. In both, she is a criminal defense attorney feeling nagging guilt about some of the things she has done for her job, and about the affair she has just ended with her boss/best friend's husband. But in one, she is kidnapped and held captive by a mysterious man bent on making her reckon with those and all the other bad things she has done in her life, while in the other she starts grappling with some of those things mostly on her own. Interesting general premise, but the characters and plot were just too over the top and not believable for me. I did find it a suspenseful and somewhat enjoyable read though.
The Two Lila Bennetts is the latest domestic thriller by this amazing writing duo Liz Fenton and Lisa Steimle.  A powerhouse, no holds barred, no regrets defense attorney in Los Angeles, Lila comes to realize through a dual timeline narrative just how far-reaching the consequences of one choice can extend. I really enjoyed this book, and all of the twists and turns - just when I thought I had it figured out, I would be wrong.  I received an ARC of this book, all opinions are my own.
I was a bit disappointed with this one despite the blurb being very enticing to me!
The flashbacks felt a bit messy with conflicting storylines, the good/bad Lila didn't have any impact and the drama seemed to outplay the thriller aspect overall. Maybe I was missing something with my own interpretation of it as I was reading, but overall I wasn't thrilled with this thriller!
I really enjoyed this book.  I appreciated the two viewpoints of Lila's life and thought it was very unique.  I read many thrillers, so when the authors try something different, it makes me take notice.  Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me access to this book.