Cover Image: We Are the Gardeners

We Are the Gardeners

I received a free copy from NetGalley.
This book is wonderful! It teaches you that when you don't succeed to try again until you do. The illustrations are beautifully sketched. The story is very educational.
#WeAreTheGardeners #NetGalley
Short and sweet, an adorable story about perseverance and patience through the lens of Gaines' children's garden.
This book is darling. I love the character building story. It is a great reminder to me as an adult that even when things come against us, we are the cultivators of our space. We have the charge of trying again when we fail and protecting the things in our care.
I wanted to read this however every time I tried to download the format would be all out of sorts. I wish it would send it in kindle format.
As someone who just dipped her toes into gardening, I found "We Are the Gardeners" to represent just how rewarding gardening can be. Not only that, but this story beautifully illustrates that although roadblocks and setbacks can occur in gardening (and, ahem, life), there's nothing that a positive attitude and outlook can't fix. This was a children's book that made me want to hop right into the pages and join the gardening fun!
really cute book! everything about this book is cute from the story to the photos to the message it sends to kids!
I think this will be one that I buy for our family and to give as a gift too. It's an adorable story with beautiful illustrations. I could read this book again and again.
Another winner from Joanna Gaines, I absolutely loved this book. It is sweet, smart and a great introduction to gardening for kids. I bought a final copy since we love the story so much.
"We are the Gardeners" provides a fine family story along with gardening advice. The story relates how a family journeys from growing one small potted fern to raising a large garden. The book features colorful drawings that illustrate the gardening journey. With the story come great tips on how to start a garden, problems that can be encountered, what it takes to have a successful garden, and the lessons to be learned from gardening.

Families with kids will enjoy reading this book together and planning their own gardens. Even small children can look at the pictures and tell the story, which makes it a great teaching tool as well as a good story.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
Beautiful artwork!  As well as a great message.  Great book to read to learn about gardening or as a companion book to starting a garden for your children.  Lower elementary or preschool children will love this book especially for its detailed illustrations - and their parents will too!  It teaches valuable lessons about hard work and not giving up when things don't go the way you planned.  I plan on using this in homeschool with my 4 year old.  There is so much to discuss from the wonderful illustrations of nature, to the details of caring for and starting a garden, to the message of the book to persevere!

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review!
Two loves: Joanna Gaines and Julianna Swaney!  I follow both on Instagram and I'm familiar with their work and backgrounds separately.  I was delighted to hear of their collaboration on this book and I could not love it more.  The story is family-friendly and pairs so nicely with Julianna's charming illustrations. It truly makes you believe in a world outside of devices and technology and I couldn't love it more.  We Are the Gardeners is a story for families and children who love to create and innovate in their own backyards.
This is a wonderful book about teaching children the joy of gardening.  It is a nice how-to book about gardening fundamentals, and it is also about not giving up when you experience failure - trying and failing, and trying again!  The illustrations are gorgeous.  Highly recommended.
This book would make a great gift.
This is a delightful book for young readers. The illustrations are lovely. My daughters loved this book and we highly recommend it.
Gorgeously illustrated and blooming with life lessons.  We adored this sweet little story of one family’s gardening adventures.  From a small start of one potted fern to a busy and productive garden, readers learn how to care for plants and what it takes for them to grow. But perhaps the best lesson this book offers is to never give up!
I love love the Gaines & Family so I was delighted to get to read this one!  It was perfect length for a children's book.  The illustrations were delightful and the book had a great message.  I look forward to more of their books.  Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this adorable book.
We Are the  Gardeners is a beautifully illustrated children's book, there is no doubt about that. The gentle colour scheme and designs are eye catching and absolutely adorable. The story itself and the text accompaniment however could have been better developed and had a better rhythm, and had more charm and beauty to match the pictures.

It felt to me that Gaines was trying to create a book that could be applied to different ages of child, however in doing so she doesn't get to expand on any of the strengths this book could have had and so it becomes average for all. Little ones could with the adults help play games with the pictures - but that's reliant on the readers creativity as the book itself does not particularly aid in this. Older children have the 'meh' text to read along with the adult which at moments is heartwarming, but ultimately have little to learn or expand upon here.

[This eARC was given to me via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]
This book was super cute. It is a good book to get kids motivated to get outside. To plan, plant and take care of their own garden. The pictures were very well done and perfect for kids of all ages.
Another adorable book. I think this book would appeal to a larger audience than a young family. I am an avid gardener who would like to inspire my family to garden but it can be a difficult task to juggle in addition to all the other things we need to do in life. Joanna Gaines is an inspiration to me as she promotes and embraces  a healthy lifestyle. The colors in this book are very happy and soothing. I believe the story would be enjoyed by my grandchildren age 3-5. Thank you.
From the opening page, "A garden is hard work, but so is most of the good, important stuff in life." What a great way to introduce this book--instructing children that doing hard things will be worth the effort. There are many other similarly wise sentiments sprinkled throughout the book. (Product suggestion: offering prints with an illustration by Swaney with quotes from the book.)

Given the Gaines' popularity in the home improvement world, one might assume they were born with green thumbs as well. Not so. This story (told from their children's perspective) shares their journey from the first gardening failure to eventual success. I loved the portrayal of a family working together planning the garden, sharing responsibility for its care and enjoying the fruits of their labors.

The book is also a wonderful nature primer covering a variety of topics in an engaging way: discussing the essential things a plant needs, choosing plants with pollination in mind, learning about insects that help (and harm) a garden, managing weeds, and protecting the garden from animal invaders.

I have to say that I was blown away by the beauty of Juliana Swaney's illustrations. Her vibrant, whimsical illustrations absolutely shine throughout this book!  If you want to see more of her amazing artwork, check out her website. You can also follow her on Instagram.

I highly recommend this book for every home, school, and public library.  I hope the Gaines children will help collaborate on many future books!

Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of We Are the Gardeners from NetGalley for the purpose of review. No other compensation was received.
Review Title: Joy of Family Gardening (review of We Are the Gardeners by Joanna Gaines and Kids)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars

This beautifully illustrated and delightfully told story of a family going through the ups and downs of learning to garden will inspire people of all ages to engage with plants. The family starts small scale with a potted fern from which they learn through failure to keep going on toward success by never giving up. Many life lessons are embedded in the story as the family pursues a beautiful and fruitful garden.

Most people are familiar with the Gaines family from their Fixer Upper show. This book will be successful based on that platform alone, but the book has so much more to offer than just pure celebrity appeal. With my background as a homeschool and church preschool teacher, I can envision using this book as a starting point for many learning projects that expand upon the book contents, in both the physical and spiritual realms. Life lessons abound within the story put to words. The illustrations help with teaching preschoolers the names of veggies and flowers, colors, quantities, and a variety of ways the young can help in the garden.

Children who are readers can enjoy the book at their learning level as they plan and anticipate good results from their efforts through multiple step processes. They will be thrilled with their own successfully planned and nurtured garden.

I think the book could even be used in a nursing home/assisted living setting where there is a community garden in which family members help loved ones participate in growing flowers.

I received a free ebook copy through NetGalley in exchange for reading and posting a review of the book. I am under no obligation to give a good review. I have since purchased a hard copy of this beautiful book for a friend. I think people at all levels and stages will benefit from this book's informative content and life lessons.