Cover Image: We Are the Gardeners

We Are the Gardeners

Two loves: Joanna Gaines and Julianna Swaney!  I follow both on Instagram and I'm familiar with their work and backgrounds separately.  I was delighted to hear of their collaboration on this book and I could not love it more.  The story is family-friendly and pairs so nicely with Julianna's charming illustrations. It truly makes you believe in a world outside of devices and technology and I couldn't love it more.  We Are the Gardeners is a story for families and children who love to create and innovate in their own backyards.
This is a wonderful book about teaching children the joy of gardening.  It is a nice how-to book about gardening fundamentals, and it is also about not giving up when you experience failure - trying and failing, and trying again!  The illustrations are gorgeous.  Highly recommended.
This book would make a great gift.
This is a delightful book for young readers. The illustrations are lovely. My daughters loved this book and we highly recommend it.
Gorgeously illustrated and blooming with life lessons.  We adored this sweet little story of one family’s gardening adventures.  From a small start of one potted fern to a busy and productive garden, readers learn how to care for plants and what it takes for them to grow. But perhaps the best lesson this book offers is to never give up!
I love love the Gaines & Family so I was delighted to get to read this one!  It was perfect length for a children's book.  The illustrations were delightful and the book had a great message.  I look forward to more of their books.  Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this adorable book.
We Are the  Gardeners is a beautifully illustrated children's book, there is no doubt about that. The gentle colour scheme and designs are eye catching and absolutely adorable. The story itself and the text accompaniment however could have been better developed and had a better rhythm, and had more charm and beauty to match the pictures.

It felt to me that Gaines was trying to create a book that could be applied to different ages of child, however in doing so she doesn't get to expand on any of the strengths this book could have had and so it becomes average for all. Little ones could with the adults help play games with the pictures - but that's reliant on the readers creativity as the book itself does not particularly aid in this. Older children have the 'meh' text to read along with the adult which at moments is heartwarming, but ultimately have little to learn or expand upon here.

[This eARC was given to me via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]
This book was super cute. It is a good book to get kids motivated to get outside. To plan, plant and take care of their own garden. The pictures were very well done and perfect for kids of all ages.
Another adorable book. I think this book would appeal to a larger audience than a young family. I am an avid gardener who would like to inspire my family to garden but it can be a difficult task to juggle in addition to all the other things we need to do in life. Joanna Gaines is an inspiration to me as she promotes and embraces  a healthy lifestyle. The colors in this book are very happy and soothing. I believe the story would be enjoyed by my grandchildren age 3-5. Thank you.
From the opening page, "A garden is hard work, but so is most of the good, important stuff in life." What a great way to introduce this book--instructing children that doing hard things will be worth the effort. There are many other similarly wise sentiments sprinkled throughout the book. (Product suggestion: offering prints with an illustration by Swaney with quotes from the book.)

Given the Gaines' popularity in the home improvement world, one might assume they were born with green thumbs as well. Not so. This story (told from their children's perspective) shares their journey from the first gardening failure to eventual success. I loved the portrayal of a family working together planning the garden, sharing responsibility for its care and enjoying the fruits of their labors.

The book is also a wonderful nature primer covering a variety of topics in an engaging way: discussing the essential things a plant needs, choosing plants with pollination in mind, learning about insects that help (and harm) a garden, managing weeds, and protecting the garden from animal invaders.

I have to say that I was blown away by the beauty of Juliana Swaney's illustrations. Her vibrant, whimsical illustrations absolutely shine throughout this book!  If you want to see more of her amazing artwork, check out her website. You can also follow her on Instagram.

I highly recommend this book for every home, school, and public library.  I hope the Gaines children will help collaborate on many future books!

Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of We Are the Gardeners from NetGalley for the purpose of review. No other compensation was received.
Review Title: Joy of Family Gardening (review of We Are the Gardeners by Joanna Gaines and Kids)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars

This beautifully illustrated and delightfully told story of a family going through the ups and downs of learning to garden will inspire people of all ages to engage with plants. The family starts small scale with a potted fern from which they learn through failure to keep going on toward success by never giving up. Many life lessons are embedded in the story as the family pursues a beautiful and fruitful garden.

Most people are familiar with the Gaines family from their Fixer Upper show. This book will be successful based on that platform alone, but the book has so much more to offer than just pure celebrity appeal. With my background as a homeschool and church preschool teacher, I can envision using this book as a starting point for many learning projects that expand upon the book contents, in both the physical and spiritual realms. Life lessons abound within the story put to words. The illustrations help with teaching preschoolers the names of veggies and flowers, colors, quantities, and a variety of ways the young can help in the garden.

Children who are readers can enjoy the book at their learning level as they plan and anticipate good results from their efforts through multiple step processes. They will be thrilled with their own successfully planned and nurtured garden.

I think the book could even be used in a nursing home/assisted living setting where there is a community garden in which family members help loved ones participate in growing flowers.

I received a free ebook copy through NetGalley in exchange for reading and posting a review of the book. I am under no obligation to give a good review. I have since purchased a hard copy of this beautiful book for a friend. I think people at all levels and stages will benefit from this book's informative content and life lessons.
We Are the Gardeners is another extension of the Joanna Gaines empire! I think the writing is a little bit too sophisticated for a lot of younger kids but I loved the message. Gardens are miracles and it takes a lot of hard work to make something fruitful and beautiful. Also, even if there are obstacles along the way, you should not give up! The illustrations are SO beautiful! I loved all the pages.

Thank you Netgalley for a copy of this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Such a charming book! Lovely in images, and so warm and approachable in story. It's nice to have expectations surpassed. We know that Chip and Joanna excel in so many of their endeavors, and if anyone was cynical about them branching into children's books, they'll quickly find that the Gaines family is very, very gifted. I loved this book and am happy to have something so positive pop into my life. A lovely book that you'll read on your own as well as (multiple times) to the kids.
A children’s book about gardens, written by Joanna Gaines, with gorgeous artwork? Yes, please! I don’t know why it took so long for me to get to this one when I was so excited to get it, but I am ecstatic that I finally carved out time for it. So. Worth. It.

Did I mention the artwork is gorgeous? Yeah. Seriously, so lovely. Fresh and sweet and pretty. 100% perfectly suited to the subject AND author of this book. Speaking of which, the subject matter is fabulous. I love when I have time to manage a garden, and Joanna Gaines does a stunning job of explaining the wonder and magic of growing things, and actively participating and understanding nature. She also uses the difficulties of maintaining a garden (pests, critters, not understanding what a plant needs) to show that learning from challenges helps us grow, so we should embrace them and try again, using what we’ve learned.

An absolute must read. I have every intention of buying a copy for myself (oh, and my kids). You should, too!
This book is perfect for kids, families, and gardeners alike!  I love how it teaches the lessons of perseverance, hard work, and dedication through a lovely illustrated and family-based story.  This book is perfect to read to kids, especially if you have your own garden or want to teach important skills and mindsets!
A sweet book, with lyrical descriptions of a family gardening and the lessons they learn.  This would make a good read-aloud.  I'm not sure it will have as much appeal in global school settings, where there isn't the name recognition of the Gaines family.
What a beautiful book! We Are Gardeners tells the story of children who desire nothing more than to grow a household garden. But guess what? It doesn't work at all...at first. I loved how the story moved through different failures and successes and they journeyed through being gardeners. They start small and grow as they are ready. I loved the family togetherness and everything about this book.
Overall, this is a very cute story for children. I really liekd how they didn't give up just beacuase things didn't originally go how they had planned. The illustrations where also great and gave it a whimsical feel. I will be purchasing a copy for our library collection.
This is a sweet children’s story to inform and inspire regarding gardening. My kids enjoyed reading It around the time we set up our garden this spring. And it’s not surprising that a product of Joanna Gaines and Co. is beautiful and classic. This book would make a cute gift along with some child-sized gardening tools and a few packages of seeds.
n Joanna Gaines' first children's book, We Are the Gardeners, the reader is introduced to the trials and triumphs of a family garden.  From the first little fern that Chip gifted to his wife, to the full outdoor garden that it inspired, the Gaines family learns a number of lessons, both in gardening and in overcoming obstacles.  This book is a sweet story about a gardening, working together as a family, and never letting failures define the journey.  Whether you're looking to encourage a young gardener or just looking to help your children pick up from a set back, We Are the Gardeners would make a wonderful read.

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
"We are the Gardeners" by Joanna Gaines and kids is a lovely children's book about gardening and growing plants from seeds into a beautiful array of life to be enjoyed. The book includes many lessons about gardening, such as making the conditions just right with the water and sunlight provided to grow things.

Other lessons include the need to protect your garden so that it is not ruined by invaders. Your garden has both good guys like ladybugs and worms that keep your garden healthy and bad guys like aphids and rabbits that could threaten all the work you've put in to make your garden.

There are new applicable life lessons on every page to teach kids about gardening and life. The illustrations are beautiful and the message is inspiring!

I received this eBook free of charge from Thomas Nelson: Children's Books via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I did not receive any fiscal compensation from either company for this review and the opinions expressed herein are entirely my own.