Long Bright River

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Mar 2020

A heart wrenching book set in North Philly a book about the opioid crisis tearing apart a neighborhood families.A story of two sisters one a police officer on the hunt for her sister an opioid addict now missing.could be torn from today’s headlines.#netgaley #riverheadbooks
This is not an easy book to read. It highlights the opiod crisis and addiction of all forms. It talks about babies born to addicts and what the withdrawal that they go through. It takes place in a neighborhood in Philadelphia, Kensington, which was once a neighborhood of working class families. As the jobs dried up, people chose or were forced to move and there are many abandoned buildings which become homes for those shooting up heroin or dealing and using other drugs. I will post a link at the end of my review from an article just released today about the rise of methamphetamine.

Back to the story. At the heart of the story there are two sisters, Mickey and Kacey orphaned when they were young, losing their mother to an overdose death. Their father has not been present in their lives. They have been raised by their grandmother, Gee, who barely was able to provide for their needs, shelter and food, while working several jobs. There wasn’t much love or personal attention shown to the girls and therefore they were extremely close while growing up.

Things changed dramatically in high school as Kacey started using drugs. The sisters grew apart, Mickey choosing a career as a policewoman and Kacey working temporary jobs to fund her drug habit. Mickey has tried to keep an eye on her sister as she was usually in the area that she was patrolling in Kensington.

There is a serial killer targeting young women. Mickey becomes desperate to find her sister, fearing that she will be the next target. She has vanished and no one seems to know where she is. She becomes desperate and risks the loss of her job and more as she digs deeper into Kacey’s life in the last few months and trying to find the killer.

Mickey is an extremely interesting and complicated woman. She is raising a young son on her own. She joined the police force because she wanted to help change her neighborhood and make a difference in people’s lives. The department doesn’t always agree with Mickey’s methods and she is not sure who she can trust. She has complicated feelings about her grandmother and extended family.

This is a multi-layered story, extremely well written, fast paced, heartbreaking and yet in the end hopeful. The characters are unique, well described and believable. I felt my heart breaking at times for people who live on the streets, tortured and controlled by their addictions.

I won’t give any more of the plot away but I do recommend looking at this link from The Philadelphia Inquirer just posted online today. The numbers are staggering and will, no doubt, shock many readers as they did me.

Here’s the link:  https://www.inquirer.com/health/opioid-addiction/philadelphia-pennsylvania-meth-cocaine-stimulant-use-rising-20191001.html

I highly recommend this book as it is extremely explanatory and pertinent to our times when the crisis of addiction is all around us. I wouldn’t call this a  police procedural because it is much more than that. It is a story about humanity, families, sisters, people and cities in crisis, love, forgiveness and hope.

This book is set to publish in January 2020.
Will post to Amazon upon publication
Liz Moore's novel seems a bit like it was written for Lifetime or the big screen. I don't say that as a criticism, because we know the big bucks are in the big screen.  The novel is relatively fast-paced.  Until it isn't.  To some degree, it's unfortunate the readers didn't learn more about the father early on because he would've been a redeeming character in this novel filled with rather unhappy, isolated people.  The grandmother, who raised the two sisters, is rather cold.  Many of the cops in the novel are corrupt and users.  The sisters rarely share any happy moments.  We get a bit bogged down about the overall drug use in the city.  It's a relatively easy read, even though the topics are rather bleak.
A fast-paced literary thriller with a compelling cast of characters, vivid in their grief for the neighborhood and the people they've lost to the heroin crisis. I enjoyed this complicated love letter to North Philly, and I was so invested in the sister relationship at the core of this story that it was hard to put it down! Highly recommended.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview this ARC of Long Bright RIver.

When a local detective ends up on the case of a string of murdered, young, often drug addicted girls, she becomes obsessed.  Is it her sister?  And when will it be?

Told in past and present form, we watch Mickey work with her former partner to find who is committing these crimes, as well as learning what became of her wayward sister Kacey.  Kacey hasn't been seen or heard of in years, and Mickey can't help but be scared for her.  Things hit even closer to home when one of the friends of the victims points her finger at someone that may be a very close ally to Mickey.

I love Liz Moore.  She doesn't have a lot out there, but I feel like everything she does is a total home run.  This had everything I look for in a good crime drama.  Add the extra bonus of getting to revisit a lot of my Philly haunts, this was a very fun read.
Though not the kind of book I normally read, when a coworker reported how much she like the ARC and told me what – and where—it was about, I knew I had to read it.  Sisters Mickey and Kacey had been inseparable growing up with their joyless grandmother in the Kensington section of Philadelphia.  At the time of the story they have been estranged for several years. Mickey has become a Philly cop while Kacey has succumbed to addiction. Still Mickey patrols the streets around “K & A,” (short for Kensington and Alleghany, the intersection of two major avenues) the epicenter of the opioid epidemic, keeping a watchful eye out for her sister.  When Kacey disappears concurrent with a string of murders of young women in the area, Mickey takes on a search for her sister as well as the killer.

Mickey’s voice speaks to the bleakness of her life but is also reflective of the bleakness of the place.  Full disclosure, this is the neighborhood that I grew up in and I felt an emotional attachment to the story that makes it hard to be totally objective.  I did care about the characters and found the book quite a page-turner.  The characters are well rounded displaying good, bad and sad sides.  The author creates a strong sense of place – Kensington itself is a character in the story.
Interesting premise but this one ultimately fell flat for me.  The story was predictable and the dialog wasn't realistic or engaging.
I loved this book, and this makes three out of three for 5-star reads written by Liz Moore for me. I really loved the mix of heart-pounding mystery with the finely sketched depiction of the psychological torment that loving an addict can bring. I will happily read anything Liz Moore writes next.
Entertaining crime thriller revolving around a police officer and her attempt to locate her missing drug addict sister. A few twists and turns that, to me, were fairly predictible. Dialogue and prose not very engaging or provoking, yet a quick flighty read for those interested in crime drama.
I've seen this book getting a lot of hype of social media and with the book blogging community, so I requested an ARC sight unseen without reading the description. I don't find myself interested, so I'll sit this one out.
This is a book about addiction and how it effects everyone it touches. It shows us this though a strong plot driven narrative about a young policewoman, patrolling the streets of Kensington, Philadelphia, while searching for her younger sister, a long time heroin user. The reveals are many and they unfold with both surprise and assurance. I couldn't put it down though there were multiple times when I paused to wipe away my tears.
Well written page turner about two sisters, different in almost every way.  Mickey is quiet, serious and a cop, searching for her sister Kasey, who was the outgoing,popular sister,  now an addict and missing.  A series of murders in the Kensington section of Philadelphia, riddled with drugs,is the site of the search, as Mickey fears each murdered woman could be Kasey.  This book was totally out of my usual, genres, but I highly recommend it
I was not a fan of this book at all. to be honest I was just bored reading it and I'm bored writing this review
Vividly drawn characters against the crumbling backdrop of the opiod ravaged neighborhood of Kensington, Philadelphia. This brings to life the painful, consuming epidemic woven into a compelling mystery and the relationship between two sisters who have taken opposite paths. Everyone in this novel is both shadow and light, and your heart will ache as you grow to love the complex, strong, and incredibly vulnerable people prayed.