A Perfect Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 May 2019

It is no secret that Lisa Renee Jones is one of all time favorite authors. So when she said she was writing a thriller, I knew I HAD to read this book. When the opportunity came I jumped on it. Please keep in mind by nature I am NOT a thriller reader. The last thriller I read was The Girl on the Train and I loved it. So I knew this was probably a winner for me.

This book is a little mind bender. It was like a puzzle you have to piece together. LRJ gave us hints throughout the story, it was crafted to slowly drag you into the book so much that you don't want to put it down. While it read somewhat like a journal only better. The book begins in the present, and makes you want to know the past. Just when you're used to the present you're thrown to the past.

Politics are the name of the game in this book. I love the way Lisa held controversy surrounding those that are in the public eye constantly. And the way the public treats you because you are the cause of many issues.

While it does have a romance element, it is more about finding out what happened to the main character, Hailey, and on the nights she can't remember. It is then that you HAVE to know more. It leaves you wondering why she doesn't remember. Who or what happened to make her that way. That's how LRJ leaves the story open to go in any direction.

This left the book open to your own interpretation. There is no cliffhanger but it did leave me wondering about a few things. All I am saying is that you love Thrillers then definitely pick this book up and buy it!

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest, voluntary review.
4 1/2 "Twisty" Stars

Hailey has been groomed since birth to be not only the perfect daughter, but the future First Daughter.  Her father has always had political aspirations and began planning her legal and political path from day one.  Her destiny was predetermined.  But her father couldn't forsee everything and had no idea the tragedy that would befall them both.  When it did, instead of pulling his daughter close, he distanced her, unless it was a photo-op of course.  Hailey tells this story from the present day and reflects back on the past and the chapters are each somewhat like entries in a journal.  Through this method, she brings the reader up to the present and resolves the mystery in the story.

Early in the story, "something" happens and you aren't sure who did it or how.  It's an absolute mystery.  To complicate things, Hailey suffers a blackout which means she can only remember snippets from the night in question.  To complicate things, the media pops up with footage making it look as if Hailey was extremely intoxicated.  Enter her father and "his staff" who send Hailey into hiding until things quiet down so that she doesn't harm his campaign.  Again, when things are difficult for her, instead of being a compassionate parent, he sends her away.  Her relationship with her father is pretty much non-existent.  On top of this, Hailey finds out that people she has trusted in her life may not have been who she thought.  She learns that almost everyone she's been involved with has wanted something and/or has lied to her at some point.  They usually want a connection to her that gets them closer to her father and potentially the White House.  So, she now has a difficult time trusting anyone and suspects that every person who enters her life may potentially be on his payroll.  The sad thing is she needs to be able to trust now more than ever and almost chases away those that she can rely on because she's been so damaged by others she was once close to.

A Perfect Lie kept me guessing pretty much the entire way through which is a trick because my goal is always to try to figure a mystery out as quickly as I can.  I, personally, felt like things were a bit rushed towards the end.  There had been so much buildup during the story and it seemed like it was resolved  in a matter of pages.  That said, this was still a really enjoyable read full of fun twists.  I highly recommend it.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A Perfect Lie was a physiological thriller that kept me questioning everything from beginning to end.

Lisa Renee Jones has mastered mystery. This I have learned from reading her previous novels. I’m always at the edge of my seat and this book was no different. Her delivery of the story was so precise. The font style and in telling Hailey’s story with past and present tense...it chilled my bones at times.

As soon as I began the story I was immediately thrust into Hailey’s life. Her requirement to be perfectly molded to suit her father’s political career. The people around her were all players of the political game and there was no one she could truly trust. She had to determine the agenda of every person she met. Were they using her as a pawn to gain her father’s favor or were they working for her father and spying on her every move. This was a question we both asked as she told her story.

While it kept me questioning everything to the bitter end, I found myself a bit unsettled with how it ended. For all the build up, the conclusion felt a little to clean for me. This was the only reason I withheld that final star. Overall, this was a thriller I really enjoyed.
I loved this book.  It has a well crafted mystery that kept me guessing until the end and even then I was left with questions.  From the start of the book,it is apparent that our narrator, Hailey Anne Monroe (a presidential candidate's daughter) might not be the most reliable narrator.  She has had a few blackouts where she in unable to account for her time.  Hailey thinks that she is possibly being drugged but can't be sure if this is true and if it is true, could it possibly be her best friend Danielle who has drugged her?  Most of the novel focuses in on Danielle's disappearance.  Did Hailey have a part in her friend's mysterious disappearance/possible murder or is Danielle a victim of a political machine that her father controls.  Who can Hailey trust?  Everyone she comes into contact with might be a minion of her father.  How can she tell the good guys from the bad?  Which of her relationships were ever truly based on honesty?  Again, this is a twisty mystery novel with a bit of romance thrown in.  I highly recommend this novel!.  .
Hailey Anne Monroe tells us the story of how she had to fight for her life away from politics and Washington.  Her father is running for president and fully expects her to be the epitome of a responsible first daughter.  She is not allowed to have much of a life, or a say in her life.  It seems everyone close to her has an agenda and trust is not something that comes easily to her.  Her father is a scheming dictator who uses any weapon he can against her.  It seems that when Hailey drinks, bad things happen.  Her story was interesting and told in a narrative that kept you guessing what was coming.  In true Lisa Renee Jones fashion, you have to wait until the end to get the final piece of the puzzle.  It was well done and one of her better books for me.
Hailey, is the daughter of Presidential candidate, Thomas Frank Monroe and they have a tumultuous relationship as a result of a tragic accident in  their past . Thomas portrays the perfect  father  with a perfect family and has groomed Hailey to be the perfect daughter in the public eye  while cleaning up the mess that Hailey lands up in private but will the secrets and lies surrounding them finally prove to be their undoing ?
A Perfect Lie is a well written story of greed and power with lots secrets, lies , twists and turns along the way. Hailey narrates the story in the present much like  a journal  with past flashbacks. A gripping story-line which kept me hooked to the end.
 I would like to thank Julie Patra Publishing, Lisa Renee Jones  & NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review
Wow!!! First, if I could I could I would give this book 10 stars. This book was a true roller coaster ride that was fantastic. It is almost like a diary but it is a story where you are fed things slowly as the book progresses. You know that certain people are all dead right away but not till the end of the book do you find out how so this is not a spoiler because you are told this immediately. But it is drawn out in such a way, that once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down till the end. And right before the end, this is another major twist that I might have seen coming but wasn't sure. I am afraid if I continue my review I will give away spoilers and I don't want to do that. Lisa Renee Jones really outdid herself with this book, a true psychological thriller. There is some romance in this book which definitely is a great touch for the readers and Hailey's plight in life. I also want to thank net galley for this ARC that I received for an honest review. Again, this book is a true winner and I highly recommend this book.
This was a fun psychological novel  in a political setting which I loved.  Will certainly read another by this author. who  I wasn’t familiar with before requesting this arc.
A Perfect Lie was a great inside look at what it might feel like to be a politician's daughter who must toe, even while being treated as an outsider in her own family.  Hailey describes the pressures and guilt she feels in a past/present first person narrative. The twists and turns take us through her relationships with various people in her life: her mother, her best friend, her father, people who work for her father, and new people she meets. But we never know until the end whether the Hailey's story is based on facts, fantasy, mental illness, or truth, until the end.  I think the book could have ended before Part 3 and been just as satisfying.  This was the first book I read by Lisa Renee Jones and seems to be more about the mystery than the romance that her previous books, so it was a good intro to Ms. Jones' writing.
Straight away from the title I knew I was going to like this novel! I am sure glad I started reading it because I could barely put it down! Wow, just an excellent read and I want all of you to start reading it as well. Bravo Lisa Renee Jones, this one was excellent!
L. R. Jones takes what is happening right now in the world brings a twist in a way readers will be able to sink their teeth into.

A perfect Lie is a story that is more puzzle than mystery.  Readers will be pieces each part together as the characters move though their lives. The story comes across as a journal that readers will not be able to figure out until the author is ready to unveil it.

This is the perfect book for readers who love mystery puzzle with a political twist.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher Julie Patra Publishing for the advance copy of L.R. Jones A Perfect Lie
When a daughters life is ruled by her father’s pursuit of presidency her every move is on public display. Burying secrets by creating lies to protect his presidency is the destiny chosen for her.

A Perfect Lie was a political based story about the expectations of a political candidate. Image, actions, behavior, and persona were vital areas of concern when living under the microscope of the public eye.
Hailey’s father was a presidential candidate. She had to adhere to a perfect image. Except it wasn’t just her image that was up for debate.

Let me introduce you to the characters:
Hailey Anne Monroe AKA Hailey Anne Pitt a politicians daughter.
Thomas Frank Monroe running for President.
Tobey Hailey’s boyfriend.
Danielle Hailey’s best friend.
Jake a friend with benefits.
Logan a friend with connections.

Overall:
Every chapter was written in Hailey’s first person point of view. Her thoughts were laid out before each chapter giving the reader a sense of where her feelings lie. It’s quite helpful to get inside her head.

Hailey’s character was very resourceful. She’s an intelligent woman. I like strong independent women. What I didn’t understand was her quick relationship with Jake.

This was a three part story containing the beginning, the middle, and the end. Part one: the beginning also known as the past. Getting to know the characters. Part two: the middle also known as the present delving back into the past to resurface the hidden secrets. Part three: the end giving closure and the future.

It was a wordy tale about political scandal. I skimmed a good chunk of the story due to the wordiness. I found the relationships with Jake and Logan to be ill-fitted with the storyline. The art pursuit was disappointing.

I did like when Lissa focused on the scandalous actions of her father. Once that mystery was solved I felt good about its discovery. Although, it was easy to decipher what was taking place.

I really enjoyed this book it has me from the start and I couldn't get enough of the story, read it in one sitting as I couldn't put it down. Real page turner it will keep you guessing and wondering how it all going play out. it is full of suspense and mystery and just when I thought I knew what was going on I was wrong. Told from Hailey's Pov. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. if you have read Lisa's books before you are going love this one it is different but oh so good.
 Well written and another great read by this author.
A Perfect Lie is not a romance novel.  It's not a mystery.  It's not contemporary.  It's all of those things and more.  Why did I start that way?  Because A Perfect Lie is a story.  It's a pretty simple story actually.  Hailey Anne Monroe was born into a political family.  She doesn't like it.  That's okay because it appears that the family doesn't like her much either.  And stuff happens.  Lots of stuff.  As the story unspools the reader is taken on a journey of lies, deceit, attraction, love, hate and madness.  There were a couple of head scratching twists and turns but I forgave them because the end of the story was.....the end.  It's a sort of indefinable feeling at the end of the story because Hailey is still Hailey and the world continues to spin.  I found the conclusion interesting and fitting.

If you are looking for a happy, fluffy, lovey novel, don't read this book.  If you are looking for something different, creative, frustrating, sad but very readable, give this a try.  Hailey isn't a likable character but in the end I found myself rooting for her.

Quote:
"You already know that I'm one of those perfect lies we've discussed, a facade of choices that were never my own."  loc 50  (Yes, this is the opening of the story and yes, it sets the tone.)
This is definitely different from what I am used to from LRJ which I knew going in, but I enjoyed it. This is a well written, well thought out suspenseful/mystery/thriller. So many secrets, as you would expect in politics. I wasn't sure how much to trust what Hailey was saying at times. I had many unanswered questions that I had to keep reading to get to the bottom of what the heck was really going on. I like a book that keeps me on my toes.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC.
I believe I have read every book written by Lisa Renee Jones. I was so looking forward to this book. I tried, I really tried to like and enjoy this one, but I just couldn't. This book jumped from past to present tense and the characters were unlikeable and vapid. Yet for some reason i couldn't put it down. It was like watching someone's life that was difficult to watch but you couldn't look away.
A Perfect Lie is my first book by Lisa Renee Jones and it did not disappoint. I ended up staying up all night to read this because the story and mystery are enough to hook you in from page one.
A Perfect Lie was a good thriller with a satisfying ending.
‘If a lie is a perfect lie, the kind that is undetectable to the human eyes, does it even count? Perhaps not unless you make a mistake and it’s exposed.’

This books makes you think. What is a lie? Is there such a thing as a perfect lie? A good read, full of mystery and suspense and what-ifs. The Past and Present back and forth narrative offers an interesting perspective on this twisty story.

I loved the political thriller element of this book: there were a lot of twists and turns, and we all know politics is a dirty game, and this book sure showed that.

The one thing that really knocked this review down from a 4.5 to a 3.5 was the execution of the ‘big reveal’. I felt like the big climactic part of this book was revealed in a short 5 pages and didn’t provide some answers for other loose ends (not necessarily in a ‘up to the reader’s interpretation’ kind of way… but in a ‘what did I miss??’ kind of way). The ending was a bit too rushed for me, but I did really enjoy the beginning & middle parts of the book. I would recommend this one to someone who is looking for a page turning thriller.

Thank you to NetGalley and Julie Patra Publishing for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The Perfect Lie is an ambitious story that has me so conflicted. On the one hand, there is a definite mystery as to what in the world is going on in poor Hailey’s life. That mystery kept me reading to the very last page.  On the other hand,  there were almost too many twists, turns, and possible bad guys who kept cropping up. Sometimes that added to the suspense, but a lot of times it left the reader  with whiplash or a severe case of eye roll-itis. Hailey’s skin prickled or tingled every time someone was watching her, to the point that I was waiting for a paranormal twist to the story. Every. Time.
So, a very ambitious story -sometimes it worked for me and sometimes it didn’t.