A Perfect Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 May 2019

Just what I didn’t know I wanted to read!  This was a fantastic story complete with the mystery, steamy sex, complicated relationships, and a finish that made you drop your jaw!

This story was a little different than what I normally expect from the author in that she alluded to some current events in our world.  Subtle but still there.  Maybe I just read into it but the similarity is there and I have to say, she did a great job of weaving that into an already interesting story.  The best part was that you get a complete story with no cliff hanger.  There are plenty of storylines to pursue if this is to be a series.

She used an interesting way of telling the story as well. The character talked to the reader and then explained the back story.  It was sort of like what you might write in a journal or even a letter to a friend.  You became a part of the story and the conversation.

Fantastic read which is what I always expect from this author!
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author, for an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.
Unfortunately, I have tried reading this book on 2 separate occasions and during this 2nd attempt, I have only managed to make it halfway through so I'd rather stop here and state that this book just wasn't for me.
I wish the author, publisher, and all those promoting the book much success and connections with the right readers.
I really had a hard time with the Past and Present chapter back and forth narrative.  Once I reached about the 40% mark the plot got better and the characters more sorted out.  Lies upon Lies has followed the life of the soon to be FIRST DAUGHTER her whole life.  Plot revolves around finding someone that Hailey Anne Monroe can trust.  Her whole life has been guilt and the pursuit of trying to achieve her father's love and not succeeding.  This adventure leads Hailey from Texas, to Washington, and finally to Colorado.  "A copy of this book was provided by Julie Patra Publishing via Netgalley with no requirements for a review.  Comments here are my honest opinion." PEOPLE ARE NOT WHO THEY SEEM!
A Perfect Lie was a good thriller well written and some good twists. The middle was a bit slow, but the ending was quick.
5 The perfect politicians daughter stars
Yes yes yes ! the author is baaaacckkkkk. I have read this authors entire back list and it seemed lately her books were no longer jiving with me.  I have always loved the author’s ability to weave a thriller and suspense story together. Where I say we haven’t jived is the romance aspect its felt a bit off lately sometimes too insta and sometimes just not a good match. The author has figured out that her romantic elements can be left out. Now there is romance and adult elements in this book but its fade to black style and no descriptions of the naughty bits. The book kept me on my toes and the plot twists kept me entertained. The book flops from the past to the future quite quickly and often so make sure you really pay attention to the chapter introductions.  Now is it the best book of all time? No there are some loops holes I wish were closed or closed better but man this was a great thriller and a completely different style of book for our author I can’t wait to see where she takes her newfound talent next!
I may need to go back and re-read this book, knowing how it ends. But as much as I love reading books by Lisa Renee Jones, this one disappointed me. The story is told in a series of the main character discussing how she felt and dropping hints of what was to come, and then telling what happened in the past, slowly getting to the present.

What I didn't like: I couldn't relate to the main character's inner feelings. She just seemed too paranoid, too tightly wound up. And I didn't feel like I really knew any of the characters because of the way the main character thought of them.

What I did like: some of the men in her life. I would have loved to see more of two of her relationships, but I'll have to get that fix when I re-red the book.
I love Lisa Renee Jones! Her books are a soon thing to me! She fills her pages with twist and turns and amazing substance! I was super excited when I saw A Perfect Lie on Netgalley and doubly excited when I was able to start reading!

A Perfect Lie had me on the edge of myself seat and glued to every word. I loved the way Lisa Renee Jones wrote Hailey. And I love the pace of this book! I love how I fast the story went!

I can not wait to read more from Lisa Renee Jones!
A Real Page Turner!

Lisa Rene Jones has done it again...deliver one of her absolute best! So many twists and turns I find myself completely lost in this book, wasn't sure if I was coming or going. The least you expect to happen happens. They just keep coming it hits you unawares. I find myself asking what! what just happened?!! I honestly could not put this book down even if I tried, it kept me at the edge of my seat. There were so many flashbacks and internal self-dialogs and self-rumination but it just adds up to the crux of the mystery that made the story even more engrossing, exciting and gripping that I didn't want it to end.
I was provided an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

While the characters were relatable, the flashbacks were excessive and made the book drag for me. I did like the suspense, and there was parts that were unpredictable to me. I wish the author would have tied up all the loose ends, rather than leaving this reader with questions.
This book is so well written from the start and I feel the main character Hailey was really well developed to the point you could imagine her exactly as she would be.
The book from the start was a page turner although it did get slightly repetive in the middle.
What I am most disappointed in though is the ending......... It just felt rushed and really abrupt I felt like I must of skipped a chapter without realising it!
The beginning was so good and so real it made me invest in Hailey's life I was just really disappointed and let down by the rushed ending
This book was well written with tons of suspense, and great characters. I just felt the middle of the book was a little drawn out.....once I got past that, the ending was great though!
A Perfect Lie is a well told story with lots of intrigue and so many questions.  It is an extremely well written and captivating story with plenty of drama, secrets, lies, betrayals, plot twists and turns, deception, suspense, mystery, and so much more that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

I volunteered to review an advance reader copy of this book.
Thank you to Julie Patra Publishing and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Thrillers, and with politics involved, are my jam. This... was not. The premise of the story was intriguing, but the writing was formulaic, there were plot holes. the way the author chose to order the story with time gaps and hopping back and forth - I soldiered through to the end, because I felt I had to. Not because I wanted to. The ending was satisfying, at least, but that didn't make up for the overall lack of oomph and coherence.
Definite page turner. I was guessing throughout the whole book. The secrets and mysteries surrounding Hailey, the questions that needed to be answered, the things that didn't make and didn't add up... Those things kept me on the edge of my seat... Overall a great read.
As with all of Lisa Renees books, this one grabs ahold of you at the very first word she writes and never lets you go till the very last word she has written.
It was very suspenseful, intriguing and a just plain mind old blowing experience.
5 PERFECT LIE STARS!! Wow, this was a thrilling ride that kept me guessing all the way through. I loved reliving Hailey's life it definitely held me on the edge of my seat. This author is fantastic at suspense and mystery in her stories, it is like watching a movie you get so engrossed. I highly recommend this book.
Summary: Hailey Anne Monroe spends her life in the spotlight of the press and the shadow of her father, Thomas Frank Monroe, a man expected to become a future President of the United States. And she hates her life and herself.

Her mother was killed in a car accident when Hailey was a teenager. Thomas Monroe blames his daughter for a momentary lack of exceptional behavior (she  went to and blacked out at a forbidden teenage party). He becomes emotionally distant, scarring Hailey for life with guilt.

As we meet our troubled narrator, Hailey, she is twenty-eight years old. She is expected to marry the perfect man, Tobey, and go to law school at Harvard. Hailey is not in love with Tobey and she'd rather pursue a career in art.

After Tobey and Hailey's best friend, Danielle, drag Hailey to a private club to unwind, Hailey blacks out after a single sip of a cocktail. The next thing she knows, Danielle is missing and assumed dead.  Hailey's father's political machine whirs into action to begin the cover-up process. Hailey is eventually whisked away from Washington, D.C. and sent to Denver while the event cools down and becomes yesterday's news. It is in Denver that Hailey can finally breathe, think and start putting the pieces together of what really happened to her mother and her best friend. And the answer is not what Hailey expected.

Comments: When I first started reading A Perfect Lie, I didn't particularly care for it. I didn't like the narrator, Hailey, with her doom and gloom present/past narration. But about a third of the way into it, I got more into the rhythm and started understanding why the author chose this style. After Hailey got to Denver, she not only became a more likeable character as the oppressive fetters of her life in D.C. are lifted, but the setting clicked with me. As soon as Hailey described the area to which she'd moved, I knew exactly where she was, because I lived there for several years. Having recently moved back to Denver, a city I love, I was delighted to be walking the streets of the Cherry Creek neighborhood with her.

Recommended for readers of Thrillers, Political Fiction and General Fiction.
I typically love this author and all her books. However, I’m not a fan of this one at all. It was kind of confusing for me the way it went back and forth from present dialogue  to past events.
Hailey Anne Monroe was the daughter to Thomas Frank Monroe who almost made it to the presidency of the USA. Tragically she looses her mother and her father blames her. The story goes through college years into another event in her adult life which shatters it.
This is my first read by this author and I found it quite a page turner. I kept trying to second guess what would happen next. Hailey played the role of the future First Daughter well. However secrets lurk in the background I really found it hard to put down I had to know what happened. I would recommend this one.
Lisa Renee Jones has done an outstanding job in a new genre. Her narrative is manipulative and unapologetic, allowing the reader a glimpse into the psyche of our main character, Hailey Anne Monroe. But be careful what you read because not everything is as it seems. Hailey’s father, Presidential nominee, Frank Monroe, is dead and her best friend, Danielle, met the same fate.  No one around Hailey can be trusted. Everybody lies. Everybody. This is a must read. Jones has brilliantly crafted her characters to fit the storyline. The plot is tight and allows for a multitude of tertiary events to fit perfectly into the storyline. 5 stars.

Thank you to #NetGalley for this ARC of #APerfectLie in exchange for an honest review