Cover Image: Finding Henry Applebee

Finding Henry Applebee

A wonderful character driven novel, perfect for those who enjoy character-focused reads. Henry is a very sweet character, and I loved that the setting was on a sleeper train to Edinburgh.
I received an ARC of this book to read through NetGalley. All opinions are my own. Finding Henry Applebee by Celia Reynolds is a General Fiction (Adult) novel. Eighty-five year old Henry Applebee has regretted something for 65 years and he’s decided to go on a quest to Edinburgh in order to make peace with those regrets. On the train to Edinburgh from London he is joined by troubled teen Ariel and jazz musician Travis and serendipitously there is a connection between these three supposed strangers. The story travels between Henry in 1948 and the present, and we also get the point of view from Ariel and Travis. This is a heartwarming story, and I enjoyed reading it.
This book is an easy read, but it just didn't catch my interest enough so have decided to not finish it, I may come back to it at another stage.
Thank you to one more chapter for my netgalley (and physical) copy of this book. This is a gorgeous story and one I would recommend to those who love character centred books
Such a cute story, well written and easy to get lost in (in a good way!!!)

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
Finding Henry Applebee is an enchanting and beautifully written story that makes one believe it is never too late to pursue our heartfelt desires and dreams. I absolutely loved every bit of this book. Highly recommended!
This was such a heartwarming story. I loved Henry Appleby, he was such a sweet character. I found myself rooting for him and hoping he’s find happiness. This book will capture your heart right from the very first page. It’s such a lovely and warm story, but it does end sadly. I highly recommend checking this one out!
What a fascinating book. I was impressed by the storyline and the characters were all well written and complex. Where there are complex storylines combined with intriguing characters the reader experience is magnified tremendously. To have a book that is well written as well as entertaining is a delight. Reading is about escaping your world and entering another one. Here I forgot about my own life and was immersed in the world created by the author. I would recommend this book.
What I read of this was well enough written, but I'm afraid I couldn't really get into it. It just wasn't for me and I couldn't finish it.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
An emotional reading experience.  As 85 year old Henry Applebee is set to catch a train, he suddenly feels unwell and needs assistance.  18 yr old Ariel is the only person who steps up to help him.  This one moment in time will join their two paths into one.  Settling in for their long train ride, they are joined by a young American, Travis, whose story will amazingly add to theirs.  Each of the three are on a journey, this train ride will change their lives and leave the reader sniffling with emotion.  Celia Reynolds' skillful winding of each character's story reminds me of Fredrick Bachman's ability to bring readers along on the path to discovering how each of them affect the world.  I loved this book and will definitely recommend it to all of my reading companions.
Nothing had prepared me for the warmth in this book. Finding Henry Applebee is a hug in pages.
An old man finally gets the chance to solve the mystery of his life, a very young adult is on a mission, and a young man is following his own path. Nothing links them at first sight, yet, struck by fate, they met on their way to Scotland.
The novel tells the tale of two journeys, a literal one from London to Edinburgh, and a figurative one, walked by each character throughout the book.

I think one of the reasons I felt so connected to the book were the locations. I was a Londoner, and Ariel’s thoughts on the city got to me. Celia Reynolds truly captured what this gigantic place does to you. The buzz of London, the loneliness that may engulf you when surrounded by nine million people, the resignation of commuters waiting for the Tube. I was hit by a wave of nostalgia, and then brought to London with young adult Ariel and Henry. King’s Cross was the last place I saw before leaving, and this is where they meet. This book really is special to me. How do two souls find each other in a crowded and impersonal place like a train station? A place of beginnings and endings. There is poetry both in the author’s prose and the characters’ lives.

On the train, Ariel and Henry meet the last part of this incongruous trio: Travis, musician from the US. Their friendship spark grows as the train rushes on the rails. You get to walk down memory lane, get to know each one of them better as the landscape changes and snow invites itself. Here again, I’d love to quote the book about meetings in train, but I’ll leave them for you to discover.

Once in Edinburgh, dots slowly connect, and each chapter had me “Oh so that’s…” Now, I know it worked very well for many readers, but this is where I felt myself taking a step back. Too many crime shows and novels have turned me into a skeptical woman who doesn’t believe in coincidences. If I was not convinced by the ending, I will admit its execution brings happiness, it wraps you into a blanket of bookish joy.

Henry, Ariel, and Travis will stay with me. I must thank the author for offering such a comforting read with deliciously spot-on remarks and descriptions.
A wonderfully charming read that had me in tears on several occasions. This is my first book by this author, but it won’t be my last at all
This book is about an older man who is trying to make right a wrong from his past.
Henry is so likeable and I just wanted everything to be ok for him. I felt everything was tied up a little too well at the end. However the book is full of lovely characters who you can’t help but warm to
I love a quirky tale with interesting characters at the heart of it.  Finding Henry Applebee is just that.  A train journey to Edinburgh for Henry and the young girl who comes to his rescue at the station tells a beautiful story of love lost and found, family connecctions and the importance of being open to adventure.
Henry is in his eighties and Ariel barely out of her teens, and yet this beautiful intergenerational friendship helps them both to find the roots and answers to questions.
I could literally read this book again and again it is so beautiful and complex as author Celia Reynolds takes us on a journey of regret, but optimisim.  Spanning sixty five years the tale of Henry and his lost love interweaves with modern times and reminds us that although times change, people don't.
I highly recommend this book especially for lovers of  A Man Called Ove and Elinor Oliphant is Completly Fine.
Finding Henry Applebee is a lovely read. It's heart-warming, emotive and full of characters you become fully invested in. It's everything you want in a book. One you will feel the urge to pass on to everyone you know and one that would make a fantastic read for a book club as it has so many talking points.
A lovely story of three people who meet on a train trip from London to Scotland and how their stories bring them together. The characters were well developed and I really invested in them.  A truly lovely read.
I really wanted to give this four stars, but I couldn't. I liked the characters even though they were all almost unrealistically kind and pleasant. However I just couldn't overlook the fact that they were two dimensional at best. The storyline was the same. It could have been richer and had more texture, but it was shallow and insipid. Overall, I was left feeling almost as if I had read a short story that had somehow been made to stretch over 427 pages.
When Henry sets out on a journey he meets young Ariel also on her own journey and the two of them find each other and themselves in this lovely read.
Genuinely a nice read but wasn’t for me unfortunately. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
This is a story about the unlikely connection three strangers make on a train journey from London to Edinburgh. Henry Applebee is an 85 year old man traveling to Edinburgh. He has lived a long life but he never forgot the girl he met in Blackpool in 1948. Losing her was his biggest regret. He never loved another and his search for her has led him to Edinburgh.
Ariel is an 18 year old girl traveling to Edinburgh. Her mother’s dying wish was for Ariel to deliver a mysterious package to her friend, Mia. Ariel has tried to take care of her father and younger brother but it’s a heavy burden for a girl who is also grieving the loss of her mother.
Travis is an American musician with a father that doesn’t get him. The only one that understands his passion for music is his hero, Uncle Frank.
It took me a while to get into this book and at times in the beginning, I wanted to give up. Henry’s story is the most compelling and interesting but in the end I was charmed by the relationship forged by the three travellers.
A train journey from London to Edinburgh where three people - Henry, Ariel and Travis, are all on their own separate missions. A train journey which takes them on the journey of their life and gives their world the most unimaginable and incredulous future that they always wanted.

Such a poignant and emotional read. Henry Applebee is a legend! And I am so pleased at the outcome! A delightful story that will make you smile, laugh and cry. Celia Reynolds is so talented - an incredible plot with wonderful characters, with their lives all cleverly intertwined. I loved the parts set in the Gower - such wonderful descriptions given throughout. You felt like you were on the train with them all, looking out the window. When the train broke down I was so nervous that they would not get moving again as they all had special places to go that evening - very tense!

Such a moving story with so many important messages. Listen to your heart, believe in yourself and always always follow your dreams. Do not take someone else's word - always find out for yourself as you cannot always trust the motive of others.