The Illustrated Bestiary

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Sep 2019

The illustrated bestiary is by far one of the best books I have read on net galley. Having owned Maia Tolls previous books I knew this one wouldn't disappoint.
The Illustrated Bestiary is another beautifully illustrated and written oracle card and book by Maia Toll.  I was a huge fan of the illustrated herbiary and this new project did not disappoint.  The Illustrated Bestiary is filled with journal prompts, meditation prompts and ritual ideas based on animal energy.  Maia Toll covers 36 inspiring creatures and how incorporating their unique traits can help us improve or better understand our own lives.  The accompanying cards can be laid out in tarot like spreads or used on your alter or in your personal space as reminders/affirmations to use that animal's energy in your day to day. A special, inviting and inspiring read.
I fell in love with the Illustrated Herbiary so was excited to receive an arc for this book. The illustrations are vibrant and beautiful while the rituals and insights are ideal in a busy life. I have since bought a physical copy so I use the cards.
Fantastic book! I wish I had a physical copy. I guess I need to put one in my witchy library! I knew as soon as I saw this that it was going to be a great book. Beautiful cover as well.
Maia Toll’s new book the Illustrated Bestiary is so full of lush gorgeous illustrations. The writing that goes along is just as lush and mesmerizing and makes you think. Thus far my favorite animal has been Raven. I can’t wait to pick up a physical copy of this book. I can’t imagine it not on my shelf right beside it’s sister book The Illustrated Herbiary.

I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.

#read #reader #book #bookstagram #readersofinstagram #bookreview #greatreads #alwaysreading #reading #ilovebooks #currentreads #bookaddict #booknerd #bookish #bibliophile #goodreads #readerlife #booklife #readandreview
Maia Toll's books are always so beautiful, I loved all the suggested rituals and practices in this book. I felt like it was all understandable and gave me motivation to take a look at my practices and alter spaces. I also appreciated the reality of climate change having an affect on nature and the animals featured in the book are marked at risk, Toll also goes into detail about how their environment is being altered and putting their existence at risk. I enjoyed this book and am grateful for being able to read it prior.
ARC kindly provided by publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed below are purely my own!

Rating: 4.5/5

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this book and learning about the insights and wisdom one can learn from the animal kingdom. The oracle cards in the back were an added bonus! I loved the illustrations and all the animals that made an appearance in this informational text. I would have liked for there to be some more information as far as spiritually working with these animals.
Having read The Illustrated Herbiary I was excited for this one. I absolutely loved it. The book will come with cards. Having read the arc of just the book I missed that part. The illustrations are gorgeous. Highly recommend this to anyone who is looking to work with animals or just love animals in general.
"The Illustrated Bestiary", by Maia Toll is a wonderful book to become spiritually connected to nature. I was unable to experience the full potential of this book, as I only received a ebook and not the cards, but from the book alone, I now have a better understanding of what nature has to offer on a spiritual level. The illustrations in the book are beautiful and with the cards I am sure it connects the reader to a deeper level of understanding. Each animal has a description like any oracle card book, as well as rituals to bring the reader closer to its meaning. I enjoyed the stories of the author's personal experiences on her path to enlightenment. This is such a special book, I would love to have this in my collection. #Theillustratedbestiary #Netgalley
This book, like Maia Toll's Illustrated Herbiary, is beautifully written with descriptions and illustration to lead you to a much higher path.
Let me first say that I have read an advanced copy that didn't come with the oracle cards, and that is very unfortunate because not only was it hard to grasp the full concept but I missed out on holding the beautiful artwork in my hands.

If you are unfamiliar with Oracle cards, let me give you a quick primer. You perform a reading, like tarot, but there is much more involved than past, present, and future. And there's no need for a giant tome full of card meanings plus six different blogs to decode the message. Oracle cards speak directly to you. They are based on feeling and intuition. That's one reason that I don't pay much attention to the booklets that come with my cards.

However, there is one thing that Maia Toll does differently. After the symbolism is explained, there is a ritual for every card. Each goes perfectly with your pull. Each helps you to connect with the Earth, nature, and yourself. I can't wait to try a few, which I will do even without having the access to the deck.

I can not wait until these are released on October first!
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. This is a really neat book about how animals can be a part of our everyday life. The instructions say that you can choose a page at whim or read it straight through. I went to the Common Raven, an animal I love. The next few pages tell you a bit about the Ravens ancient history and a bit about them in general.
What beauty of a book! A beautiful edition, a simple and direct style. Each of the animals included has a particularity that makes them unique, and some do not usually appear in books of this type. The only thing missing is that the digital edition comes with cards to print and it would be perfect.
Beautiful art book.  Clearly for people like me who aren’t artist but want to try to pretend to be. There are some helpful tips and easy to follow instructions.
A different take on the spiritual animal front and one that gives you exercises to help you analyze your life through animal aspects to figure out solutions as well as getting you to question yourself on a level you  may never have done before.

Accompanied with beautifully illustrated cards, each aspect brings something to the fore that is delightfully fresh and whilst its written from a questioning point of view, the book is friendly easy to dip into and for me, with the exercises allowed me to get a deeper understanding of various area's of my own life as well as choices I've made.

Its introspective, allows for your own journey and with the ability to utilize the cards as a means to get answers for problems that you're going through, makes this a title that adds something new and different to your conscious thoughts.

Review will appear on day of hardback release on site
Basic but has beautiful art of the animals. It is still informative in a basic way, and it is fun to read. Perfect for animal magic references
In her "Illustrated Bestiary", Maia Toll illuminates the spirits of 36 animals and the guidance they provide to help us connect with our human psyche. She presents practices and reflections for each animal to assist the reader in connecting more deeply with their teachings. The animals' ways of being suggest ways we can take action and transform our lives. Fanciful, full-color illustrations accompany the text as well as a deck of cards with suggestions for different types of readings. I felt myself drawn to the Whitetail Deer, Red Salmon and Monarch Butterfly. Highly recommended!
Really loved this book and I love the artists illustration. Same kind of set up for each animal - an image, an introduction, ritual and reflection; so one can work with that animal. Great for those who like working with animals and does come with cards to take along with you if you want. Really enjoyed.
Let me start by saying, I could stare at these pictures all day!  They are beautiful and artistically depicted to help the reader understand the beast as they first read about them and then are invited to engage in ritual and reflection specific to each.  I found myself reading about the medicine each offers and yearning for partnership with animals that I never expected to (hello, salmon).
So here I sit, contemplating the promise I made to myself regarding not purchasing anymore books or cards on spirit animals, all the while knowing I am going to break it.  The Illustrated Beastiary provides much more than an explanation of the animal, message and medicine.  Maia Toll actually tells us how to work with it and intertwines current events into her writing, i.e., the grieving orca of 2018.   The author goes on to educate the reader on the endangered status of the animal and scatters relatable quotes along the way.  After this read, I am looking forward to holding the cards in hand, gazing at the gorgeous pictures (tattoo, anyone?) and assembling my animal council.  Many thanks to Storey Publishing, LLC. and Netgalley for this ARC (all opinions expressed in this review are authentically mine)
I was drawn to this book by the beautiful artwork on the cover.

The illustrated Bestiary is a lovely book that would work perfecty with the oracle cards you would receive in a physical copy of the book. So I would reccomend not getting the digial edition but definitely buying the physical copy so you can flick thought and use the cards.

I enjoyed reading the authors information on each animal and her own stories interspersed.  Great rituals and refelctions thoughout.

The artwork is beautiful and I spent a long time looking at each picture and enjoying the bright colours.

Thank You to Netgalley and The Publisher for letting me read it.

I will add revies on amazon and goodreads once its published.
This was a beautiful and indulgent read. The colours and design of the card pages are lovely and the words inspiring!

The question sections and particularly the elephant card on change really made me think. Although I read an electronic copy of this book, It is necessary to have a hard copy with the accompanying oracle set to really make the most of it.

I will make sure to buy this book in a hard copy and use the lovely oracle deck.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.