Someone We Know

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Nov 2019

A quiet neighborhood in the suburbs of upstate New York is not so quiet when the wife of a neighbor goes missing.  It is all the community can talk about. Until a few of them receive anonymous letters that somebody had broken into their homes and went through their computers.  That level of violation has never been experienced in their community before and fear is starting to mount.  What secrets has this hacker discovered while breaking into homes? However, it doesn't take long for a body to be discovered at the bottom of a nearby lake. The police have several suspects as the victim, Amanda, had a bit of "reputation". Was it her husband who was finally fed up with her infidelity?  Was it one of her extramarital relationships? Or did Amanda's death have something to do with the anonymous letters that have been received all over the neighborhood?

Someone We Know is a novel about an idyllic neighborhood that turns the American dream into the American nightmare.  The cast of characters in Someone We Know is pretty extensive.  The main characters are the couple whose son is the neighborhood hacker, their best friends, the husband whose wife goes missing, and a few others in the area. Two detectives investigating the death of Amanda Pierce round out the cast of characters.   The author leads you down several erroneous paths on the way to the truth.  As the reader, you are guessing and then second-guessing yourself.  I didn't have it figured out until close to the end of the book, but after there is a bombshell reveal.  - CLICK HERE FOR SPOILERS -  One thing that made me feel icky about this book was the way the author depicted Amanda, the victim.  First of all, she was a VICTIM, but it really came across as if "she deserved it" because of her extramarital affairs.   Kind of a misogynistic view.  Nobody mourned her loss because all of the women were relieved that she was gone and their husbands no longer were going to stray. Never mind that it was their husbands that couldn't keep it in their pants. Having said that, the "ick-factor" was not enough to keep me from reading to the end.

Bottom  Line - I love a good, fast mystery, and Someone We Know lives up to that standard.  While I was extremely disappointed with the way the victim was portrayed, it didn't stop me from finishing the book.

Details:
Someone We Know by Shari Lapena
On Facebook
Pages: 304
Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group
Publication Date: 7/30/19
Buy it Here!
Thank you to NetGalley for the book in exchange for an honest review.
This is a fast paced thriller about a neighborhood that I would never want to live in. They are a few murders and everyone is a suspect for one reason or another. Lots of lies and affairs and coverups as well as breakins and computer hacking to keep the story moving along at a fast pace. My one complaint is the very end was a little confusing but al in all this was a satisfying murder mystery. #SomeoneWeKnow #ShariLapena #NetGalley
Interesting premise - I found myself getting frustrated with the characters' choices, which is a sign that I'm into a book for sure.  I didn't care much for Lapena's last title, but this one has redeemed her, and I'll keep reading her books.
Maybe you don't know your neighbors as well as you thought you did . . . twists and turny suspense.  You'll probably find your way to the killer, but it's a fun journey just the same.
I’ve enjoyed all of Shari Lapena’s books I’ve read so far and this one did not disappoint. It gave me Desperate Housewives vibes I didn’t know I was missing. A fast paced, page turner, enjoyable read.
4.5 out of 5 stars! The only reason I didn’t give this book a perfect 5 was because I didn’t like how the book leaves you guessing at the end! But overall this book kept my attention and had me guessing the entire time. It wasn’t until the book said who the guilty party was that I knew!
This book was a classic whodunnit. We know that someone was murdered right away at the beginning. We just don't know how it happened or why. There were so many different characters it made you constantly second guessing who was actually guilty of something. Almost all the characters had a secret and was hiding something.  I really didn't bond with any of the characters or root for them but at the same time was able just to sit back and enjoy the show. Fans of thrillers will enjoy this one. Ending wasn't what I expected.
I really enjoyed reading this book.  The plot and characters were compelling and I was never quite sure I knew who had committed the crime.  It kept me guessing until the very end.
This was my favorite of all of Shari Lapena's books I've read (the only one I haven't read is A Stranger in the House), but I just always hate her endings. This one in particular was infuriating, as everything seemed wrapped up and then she just had to undo it by throwing in one last, unnecessary "twist."
Another great book by Ms. LaPena.  She always comes through with.a great read.  Loved this story, characters were believable and her writing style is always top notch.  Highly recommend this book.   A fabulous read.
The story was fine, but the writing was so basic. Short sentences, not much depth or description. DNF
Shari Lapena is quickly becoming one of my favorite summer thriller authors. "Someone We Know" was the perfect blend of murder, mystery, and suspense. If you haven't yet, add Shari Lapena to your to-read lists.
In a quiet little suburb, someone has been breaking into houses just to snoop around, a wife has disappeared only to be discovered murdered. Someone in the community is to blame, but with everyone pointing fingers at each other, how will the truth be discovered?

This was suspense and drama from start to finish. There are a ton of characters to try to get a hold on but once you do it’s a treat to read. There are so many twists and turns and the book passes by so quickly due to the ever changing suspense. My mind was constantly running trying to piece it all together and figure out who the murderer was before it was revealed. Normally when I figure it out, I can be a little bummed and start to think that the book wasn’t smart enough, but this time, even after I was pretty sure I knew who it was, I was still second guessing myself and it became a game to me. This was quite good!!
A murder is committed in the first chapter and we spend the rest of the book trying to figure out which of the several main characters is the guilty party. 2 families have teenage sons who are also involved to varying extents. New neighbors also feature as main characters, in fact there are a lot of main characters.
There are several twists and turns, some not predicted and overall, it was a good who did it murder story.
My pet peeve is the repetition. Why do we have to see first and last name for main characters, in fact up to 4 or 5 times in one page? Annoying! The recap of who felt what, did what, thought was was also over the top and seemed more like filler than story. Because of that, I would only rate it a 3 star. Without the repetition, it would have been more like a 3.8.
Thank you NetGalley for an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
Wow! Don’t make plans once you begin this novel. You will get nothing else accomplished. Young wife Andrea gets brutally beaten to death and all the neighborhood men are implicated. In other news, teenager Raleigh is breaking into homes in the neighborhood and hacking into computers, learning secrets, and teenager Adam has a drinking problem. The neighbors are up in each other’s business and the affairs are running rampant. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to be an early reader.
This is a book that I couldn’t put down! So many characters and new developments kept popping up in every chapter. I’ve read a lot of thrillers, but this is one I couldn’t figure out the ending of until I got to it.
If the Desperate Housewives plot centered around a murder mystery instead of a suicide, it might look something like Someone We Know.  This story was like suburbia mind candy.  It's full of handsome husbands who have lucrative jobs in finance, work-at-home moms who have time to take walks and enjoy coffee with friends, and wayward teens from good homes.  Throw a brutal murder into that mix and you've got a happy little suspense.

I rounded my rating to 4 stars because some of the writing was choppy and flat.  Certain parts read like a play.  The formatting of my ebook made it super confusing to follow.  That's probably just the nature of the eARC, though, so hopefully it will be remedied in the final copy.
"We need to talk." No one wants to hear these words, right? But think of them as the theme song for this latest in Lapena's wonderful suspense thrillers. If you're old enough to remember Peyton Place, think of a reboot on steroids to describe this novel! Soooo many secrets told from multiple perspectives. High school tech-savvy boy sneaks into neighbor's houses and snoops in their emails--just for fun. Flirty wife of a businessman found dead in the trunk of her submerged car and all the men in the neighborhood become suspects. Add to the mix gossip and innuendoes, and you have the recipe for a town rocked by scandal. I seriously felt like I had gotten off the teacups ride at Disneyland at the end of this book as my head was spinning! This one is not to be missed!
I really enjoyed what felt like a "back to basics" mystery.  No gimmicky twists that are trying too hard to be shocking.  Just a regular page turner whodunit.  Very good!!
I really enjoyed this one. So much so that I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish it and then I had to read the ending again this morning because I didn't comprehend what I read. I think what I liked the best about this was the characterizations. These are people who live in my neighborhood, who do  neighborly things, and make choices. Anyway. It's not necessarily groundbreaking but it's a fun ride and a very quick read.