Cover Image: Someone We Know

Someone We Know

Love her writing! Always keeps me on the edge of my seat and keeps me coming back for more. I couldn’t be happier.
Someone We Know is an interesting thriller set against the backdrop of a suburban neighborhood.  You have all of your major players - your best friends, your clique, the new neighbor who feels left out, their children, and the husbands who play their own roles which revolve around their jobs.  However, behind all of these characters lie secrets that come to light over the course of the book.

I really loved this book until the end.  It not only left you hanging but felt unfinished.  To be honest, I thought my Kindle failed to download the entire book.  I like a good twist, but this one failed to provide any kind of closure to the plot and was very random.  I hoped for something more.

Thank you NetGalley for an arc of Someone We Know in exchange for my honest review.
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
Olivia Sharpe is shocked when she spies a text message on her son's phone that says "Did you break in last night?" Her son has broken into two neighborhood homes. Worse, while inside, he hacked into their computers. She'd want to know, so she sends anonymous letters to the owners of the two homes. That's just the the start of the whispers and gossip.

When a woman in their neighborhood vanishes, police say it sounds like she was having an affair adn left on her own. When her body is found, the neighborhood explodes with gossip and secrets start to come out. Husbands and wives throughout the neighborhood all have things to hide and someone will do anything to keep those secrets from being revealed.

Expect plenty of twists in Someone We Know. The book focuses closely on Olivia, her husband, and her son; their best friends; a married empty nester; the missing woman's husband; a new single neighbor; and several others who are all part of the neighborhood book club. Everyone is hiding something, and it's clear that one of them is the killer. You just can't be sure until the very end.

I loved the twists, suspicions, and revelations. This book had me hooked from the start.
I really enjoyed Someone We Know.  It kept me guessing with the plethora of suspects provided.  There were so many people that had motive for killing this woman, it was insane.  I did end up figuring out the killer before the reveal, but I wasn't too bothered by that.  Lapena still had a few surprises in store for me though.  This is a great addition to the mystery/thriller genre and it is a good recommendation for anyone who likes a good whodunnit.  The only thing I didn't like was the Epilogue.  I felt like the book would have been better without it.  Otherwise, an enjoyable, addicting mystery.
Another winner for Shari! This book was great too! I read this one and although didn't love it as much as The Couple Next Door, I still thought the book was great. A neighbor son broke into homes looking at secret info on neighbors computers and finds out lots of secrets. The family is a mess and anonymous letters start appearing at his house. Good book that I read in one day!!
A very cool, windy, and gloomy Sunday gave me the chance to read the e-book of Someone We Know, and I discovered Shari Lapena.

This was a quick read, and that's a good thing, because I couldn't put it down. I've read quite a few domestic thrillers, and I'll admit, I was a bit burnt out. However, I had never read Shari Lapena's novels, and once I started reading, I quickly got over my blahs about domestic thrillers. I've even made plans to read the rest of her books over the summer. And I've already told my sister she needs to read them. It's been a busy Sunday. 😀😀

Anyway-back to the story. Raleigh is a sixteen year old boy who gets a thrill out of breaking into neighboring homes and hacking into people's computers. He doesn't do it to find information, but to hone his skills as a hacker. Unfortunately, a friend leaves a text that his mom finds, and all hell breaks loose. And this is the tip of the iceberg in a neighborhood where a missing wife is found dead in the trunk of her car; affairs are rampant, and there's a cold blooded killer lurking somewhere in the midst of it all.

Raleigh's parents Olivia and Paul Sharpe are horrified their son has been breaking and entering. He's promised not to do it again. That's the least of their worries, of course.
Amanda Pierce-a beautiful, flirty, neighbor has been reported missing by her husband Robert Pierce. She said she was meeting a friend for a weekend shopping trip but never came home. The friend said they never had a trip planned. Suspicion quickly falls on Robert, and he definitely is a utter jerk and a total creep. But does that make him a killer? Other neighbors are quickly pulled into the mystery; Becky and Larry live next door to Robert and Amanda, and hoo boy Becky is tangled up in Robert's web.  What does she see out her windows?

Then there's Glenda, her husband Keith and her teen son Adam. She's so worried about Adam! He's been binge drinking, and she doesn't know what to do about him. Oh, the neighborhood seems to be falling apart.

This thriller ping pongs around from couple to couple, each one falling under suspicion in the investigation. Truth and lies swirl around, and you just can't tell who may be guilty, until the end. There isn't any one person who is very likable, and certainly all are guilty of keeping secrets--some pretty darn big, too.

I throughly enjoyed this novel. It's been a long time since I've read so quickly and in a few hours. A big thank you to Penguin for offering me the chance to discover a new author--and NetGalley for providing an ebook copy for me to read.

4/6 for a domestic thriller full of twists and turns, revelations, and a whole lot of suspicious people. Add Shari Lapena to your summer reading list!
I received a free ARC frome NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second book that I have read by Shari Lapena. Her characters are always well developed and there are always a lot of turns. This book definitely had me all over the place trying to guess what would happen. Let's just say that the ending totally threw me. And, she left it open for a sequel. If she doesn't write one, I am going to be really mad that she left us with such a cliffhanger!

It was a quick read but I enjoyed it. I would say it's a 3.5 from me.
My only disappointment with this book is that I waited so long to read it! I just finished and still have goosebumps!

In a small community, a murder has been committed. Even in what seems to be a perfect neighborhood, families have secrets! As the investigation continues, more secrets are revealed! What happens when you can’t trust your own family and at what lengths do you go to protect them? This book is full of “omg” moments, right up until the last sentence!

Five stars is not enough for this one!
Someone We Know by Shari Lapena-Oh my goodness! Lapena does it again. A teenager in a quiet little neighborhood has been breaking into houses. He's not stealing anything, he just get a thrill out of poking around in his neighbors' houses, oh and on their computers. When his mother discovers this, she writes anonymous letters to the two he has admitted to entering. However, he hasn't been 100% truthful with her, and when a body is found, will his prints be all over the place? #netgalley #sharilapena
LaPena is a great storyteller! She is able to intricately weave a multitude of stories together to seamlessly tell a multilayered tale full of drama, suspense and angst. This book is no exception!
What is not to love about this book from Shari Lapena? Nosey neighbors causing all sorts of ruckus, murder, pointing fingers, a great whodunit. This was refreshing, and will not be the last book I read from the author. Thank you to the author, publisher, and Netgalley for allowing me to read the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is my 3rd Shari Lapena novel this year. I was very excited for new novel “Someone We Know” and needed to buy it the day it came out! “Someone We Know” is about an upstate New York neighborhood that from the outside looks normal. However, it is far from normal. In this neighborhood we have a teenager who is breaking into houses trying to learn their secrets. We have men who are unfaithful to their wives. We have women unfaithful to their husbands. And we have a murder that we have no clue how it happened.

Lapena’s novels are always a fast-paced read. Her writing is easily understandable and really sucks you into the story. This a pretty light thriller compared to her previous novels. I thought the story line was a pretty typical husband cheats on wife and wife is found brutally murdered. I figured out pretty early on who the murderer was and was a little disappointed on the reasoning behind it. I felt that the last 15 or so pages were a little rushed for me. That ending through me for a loop and still not sure what to think about it. Overall, not the best thriller you will read, but a good one if you are looking for something fast-paced and easy. 3.5 ⭐️ 📚
If I hadn't been told that this book was written by Shari Lapena, I still.think I would have been able to guess as such.  There is a formulaic aspect of her.books, but.it.works- and as they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix.it". I really enjoyed this; it was atmospheric and well developed, and I even got my husband to read it  (No small feat...he MAYBE reads two books a year). Lapena was already on my "must -read" list, and this further solidified that for me. A wonderful, well written read.... I will absolutely recommend this one! (Already have been, actually!)
A teenage boy enjoys the adrenaline rush of breaking into neighbor's homes and hacking their computers. One of his neighbors is missing and the husband is a suspect. The teenager had broken into this house prior to the wife going missing. In this book, there are no innocent characters. This book is full of twists and turns that will keep you guessing until the end.
This is a fast read.  I wanted to like it as much as the couple next door, but I found the story and characters a little disjointed.  It is a kind of whodunnit but you don't even find out about the murderer and motives right until the very end. The story seems to focus on the other characters first. A teenage boy who breaks into houses for fun, but what he finds does not seem to be relevant to the plot. The ending was also a little inconclusive....Still an enjoyable read though.
This is the third book that I have read from this author.  I am finding that she her books are quickly becoming a go to mystery books for me.  All of the book have been very good!  This book opens with a killing.  As the story unravels, it becomes more and more complex.  I had no idea of who did it until the final few pages.  Thank you to @netgalley for this arc.  I will definitely be on the look out for more books by this author!
This book was a bit different than other's I have read of Shari Lapena's.  I enjoyed the story and loved the build up of the characters.  The story is written about a small town where everyone knows everyone (for the most part) and knows mostly everyone's business (or do they?).
Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Group for an ARC in exchange for an honest review of the book.

This is a fast-moving, page-turning thriller. If you're looking for a quick read that keeps you on your toes guessing, this is it. In this novel, a small community is rocked by the murder of a beautiful neighbor and the suspects quickly start to pile up.

There are a lot of characters in this book, though they are fairly easy to keep track of. However, like other books in this same genre, there is little depth to them and I found it hard to really connect with any characters on more than a surface level. This is more entertaining and less literary; while it's suspenseful and will keep you turning pages, it isn't designed for deep introspection nor do I suspect it will stay with you long after the final pages. The repetition of plot device was a little much by the end, but that is also something I've come to expect from books in this genre.

So final recommendation: a good choice if you're in the mood for a quick read with not a lot of depth. Lots of red herrings and reasons to read to the end.
When a mother finds out her son has been breaking into homes "just for fun," she writes a letter to the homeowners stating that the break-ins happened, but nothing was taken. Then a neighbor is found murdered and questions about how well all the neighbors really know each other begin to arise. I enjoyed this read by Shari Lapena. While I figured out the end before I got to it, the story was so intriguing that I just had to keep reading!